LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alllmost done with this stupid PPD test, then I can get all my paperwork submitted. How's everyone else coming along? lol

I just sent all my forms in yesterday...glad thats over with!

Well...except for the next batch of forms I'll have to send in eventually showing I got my 2nd varicella booster and proof of a positive titer, since mine came back negative initially ...:thumbdown:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you try to call Annett yet? They can give post-interview result over the phone.

Anyone got on alternate/wait list, could you go to this site and post your status http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9443282. We try to see how many got on alternate list and get accept at LECOM-Br. Thanks.

Hate to burst your bubble about the Alt List List, but there's a few issues:

1. Only a small percentage of med students are on SDN. I think I have about 20 classmates who post here, and of them, only 2-3 (including me) post regularly.

2. The number of people taken of all alt lists changes every year, sometimes drastically. For example, I was PROMISED a spot at EVMS by the dean, the president, and a board member based on my high place on their alt. list and movement seen in past years. Unfortunately (actually, fortunately...we're much happier here than we would have been in Norfolk...ugh), another state school (UVa)overfilled their class, so their alt. list didn't move. People on that alt. list were accepted at the "lower tier" state schools and, since they didn't get into UVA, didn't drop their acceptances to EVMS, which means that I didn't drop my acceptance to LECOM-B (not that I would have anyways. The two schools were neck and neck for us. EVMS may have had a very slight edge due to being closer to family back in Va and being very slightly cheaper...but in retrospect we wouldn't have been happy there, despite it being a great school, IMO).

You see how the trickle down effect works? And, it's different every year based on how other, "higher tier" schools work their accepted and alt. lists.

I'd say though, that LECOM-B has an average amount of acceptances off the alt. list, among ALL med schools. Probably much fewer than most DO schools, as most people who get in here do really want to go here. I know more than a couple of my friends were on the alt. list.

Hate to burst your bubble about the Alt List List, but there's a few issues:

1. Only a small percentage of med students are on SDN. I think I have about 20 classmates who post here, and of them, only 2-3 (including me) post regularly.

2. The number of people taken of all alt lists changes every year, sometimes drastically. For example, I was PROMISED a spot at EVMS by the dean, the president, and a board member based on my high place on their alt. list and movement seen in past years. Unfortunately (actually, fortunately...we're much happier here than we would have been in Norfolk...ugh), another state school (UVa)overfilled their class, so their alt. list didn't move. People on that alt. list were accepted at the "lower tier" state schools and, since they didn't get into UVA, didn't drop their acceptances to EVMS, which means that I didn't drop my acceptance to LECOM-B (not that I would have anyways. The two schools were neck and neck for us. EVMS may have had a very slight edge due to being closer to family back in Va and being very slightly cheaper...but in retrospect we wouldn't have been happy there, despite it being a great school, IMO).

You see how the trickle down effect works? And, it's different every year based on how other, "higher tier" schools work their accepted and alt. lists.

I'd say though, that LECOM-B has an average amount of acceptances off the alt. list, among ALL med schools. Probably much fewer than most DO schools, as most people who get in here do really want to go here. I know more than a couple of my friends were on the alt. list.

As far as I could see you didn't do any bubble bursting.....only reiterated what most (some) of us already know!

Thanks for letting us know your circumstance, and consistently being insightful. The problem with being on the waitlist is not really being able to get a clear picture of what it means (ie how many people are on the waitlist, where I stand on the waitlist, percentage of class full etc.). I have had many encounters this application cycle with schools not being entirely straight forward with me. Now I realize most of the time when i call an admissions office I speak to a secretary who probably has little say in the process or is just giving out information she was instructed to give out. I just wish I would know how much of a chance I realistically have.

Either way I have been doing my best to make myself a better applicant, hoping to get in this year, and preparing to reapply.

I interviewed at Bradenton a couple weeks ago and I have a few questions that I havent really found any answers for on SDN.

I pretty much get PBL and for the most part it sounds logical, but there are some technical aspects of the curriculum that I am concerned about.

How do you study? I know that it's kind of a loaded question, but I don't understand how one person can do so much. I wanted to ask how you transitioned from lectures visually showing and explaining important concepts to PBL, where you are given a ton of information and little focus. I would say I am a motivated person, and I feel that I am capable of the work; I just don't understand how.... if that even makes sense. Do you study 10 hours a day or something like that? Is it common for people to study together in groups?

When I interviewed, the building was very stark and uninviting, and I feel that it did not give me a good impression of student community which I hold as a very important aspect of the school I attend. How close is the class especially since class is, for the most part, 2 hours a day?

What sorts of community outreach programs do you guys do?

When do you see your first patient? Do you have actors or real patients or both?

Funny how I think of all these questions AFTER my interview:p

How do you study? Do you study 10 hours a day or something like that? Is it common for people to study together in groups?

Yes, we study a lot. How and how much really kinda depends on the person. I know people that barely study and barely get by. I know people that study 12 hours a day and barely get by. I know people that barely study and get good grades...it really, really varies.

If I had to guess an average, I'd say about 8 hours on an average non-test week (some people more, some less). If we have a looming PBL test, we cram as much as possible...12-14 hours at least...

As far as how to focus the material, there are lots of ways. The official school line is to "read your required textbooks a lot." Some people can do that and do really, really well. I'm not one of them. I like to use review books, like Rapid Review Path, to help focus me on what's really important, then supplement that with the "real" books as needed. Aside from review books, there are wonderful (and probably illegal) videos of Kaplan lectures floating around that some people use a lot, as well as a good number of powerpoints from various sources on various topics, if you like that kind of thing. The Goljan lectures are pretty popular as well. Google, UpToDate, Harrison's, etc also work wonders. The library actually has a really good collection of other books, and sometimes it helps to read the same topic in a bunch of them too, if you have time. Bottom line, in today's world there are a million ways to trim down the mountain of material if you need to, but if you don't need to then don't do it...

Most people tend to study alone or in very small groups. Some people will kinda read together, then talk about what they read when they're done. Others get together after they've read a bunch of stuff to kinda review. Others are anti-social and you never see them at all. Again, it really varies.

When I interviewed, the building was very stark and uninviting, and I feel that it did not give me a good impression of student community which I hold as a very important aspect of the school I attend. How close is the class especially since class is, for the most part, 2 hours a day?

Stark...yes. Uninviting...I don't know if I would go that far. That being said, I don't spend hardly any time there. I just like my house better.

I think we're all very friendly with each other. At this point, I know and have worked in groups with many of the people in class, even if we're not best friends. I have a group of about 15 friends and we all hang out regularly and support each other a lot. In fact, there's a get together at a local bar tonight...so, I think we're actually a pretty communal group, even if we're not sitting together in lecture hell for 8 hours a day.

What sorts of community outreach programs do you guys do?

A crapload. The more popular ones are some health fairs at the Red Barn Flea market in Bradenton, doing things like BP screenings and the like, and the Sheriff's Youth Ranch, working with troubled youth types. There's a bunch of random stuff throughout the year though. We have a lot of clubs (did they give you a list at your interview? they did for me) and they all make up activities as the years pass, so things are constantly popping up.

When do you see your first patient? Do you have actors or real patients or both?

We have a panel of really good standardized ("fake") patients. They're mostly local people (I think) who were interested in helping out, for whatever reason. Most of us saw our first "real" patients on some kind of community outreach program, if that helps. Other than our fake patients, our fake PBL patients, and our community outreach patients, we don't see any "real" ones until 3rd year...other than each other...

Good questions. Hope that helps.

I lived at the school...literally. 7am-11pm daily. I am one of those guys that study slow, re read crap too many times over, and sometimes just plain don't get it. this is before the pharm kids came so i don't know how much space is available now. writing on the boards in bold bright colors is how my friends and I learn the best. i would write "do not erase" in spanish so the night workers won't erase it. by exam time it was like a scene from a beautiful mind, people would walk through like an open house for last minute notes. we had our own little "community" of students that each had a room, studied, poked each other when we needed that extra push to keep going, ate lunches/dinner together, bounce ideas, roll quarters down the hallway, put the tables together and play ping pong, even rolling chair races....so it's a little tight knit. but yeah the building is kinda empty but very clean!

as for community outreach, each club has assignments of what type of service they're responsible for and you can always volunteer....and it's a long list. don't worry, we get out there. you get so boggled down with the books, its' one of the very last things on your mind.

the standardized patients are paid to play the roleand more money for the invasive roles. they're given a list of things to do and say that are based on the step 2 CS exam you'll take. we got our white (waiter) coats 6 months into school and started shadowing right after that. 1 day here and there. depending on the doc is how much you get to do.

if you go to the mentor forums, look up PBL. mostly richie and I put up a bunch of info and answer specific questions regarding PBL. feel free to PM also.

I lived at the school...literally. 7am-11pm daily. I am one of those guys that study slow, re read crap too many times over, and sometimes just plain don't get it. this is before the pharm kids came so i don't know how much space is available now. writing on the boards in bold bright colors is how my friends and I learn the best. i would write "do not erase" in spanish so the night workers won't erase it. by exam time it was like a scene from a beautiful mind, people would walk through like an open house for last minute notes. we had our own little "community" of students that each had a room, studied, poked each other when we needed that extra push to keep going, ate lunches/dinner together, bounce ideas, roll quarters down the hallway, put the tables together and play ping pong, even rolling chair races....so it's a little tight knit. but yeah the building is kinda empty but very clean!

as for community outreach, each club has assignments of what type of service they're responsible for and you can always volunteer....and it's a long list. don't worry, we get out there. you get so boggled down with the books, its' one of the very last things on your mind.

the standardized patients are paid to play the roleand more money for the invasive roles. they're given a list of things to do and say that are based on the step 2 CS exam you'll take. we got our white (waiter) coats 6 months into school and started shadowing right after that. 1 day here and there. depending on the doc is how much you get to do.

if you go to the mentor forums, look up PBL. mostly richie and I put up a bunch of info and answer specific questions regarding PBL. feel free to PM also.

They don't do the shadowing during first 2 years anymore. I think they decided it just wasn't worth it or something. You can still set those things up on your own if you want, of course.

There's still usually plenty of space at school. We occasionally use the PBL rooms, but I just got a good sized whiteboard to use at home. I've never seen people use them to quite the extent described above though...that's pretty awesome.

I interviewed here on Friday. Absolutely incredible except after having people fly in from Pa, California, Maryland, etc. they had the Admissions secretary sit us down as the last thing and tell us "We aren't offering any acceptances right now. We have too many offers out but you might get put on the wait list and then there might be movement in May or June." Everyone was so nice but apparently giving people a heads up they are interviewing for a wait-list spot before spending hundreds of dollars to travel was not in their plan.

They don't do the shadowing during first 2 years anymore. I think they decided it just wasn't worth it or something. You can still set those things up on your own if you want, of course.

There's still usually plenty of space at school. We occasionally use the PBL rooms, but I just got a good sized whiteboard to use at home. I've never seen people use them to quite the extent described above though...that's pretty awesome.
I didn't think the shadowing thing was all that, in matter of fact i felt guilty I wasn't studying instead! I did the same thing with the white board towards then end when the pharm classes arrived. I'll throw up a pic of the crazy ass PBL white board review if I can find it

I interviewed here on Friday. Absolutely incredible except after having people fly in from Pa, California, Maryland, etc. they had the Admissions secretary sit us down as the last thing and tell us "We aren't offering any acceptances right now. We have too many offers out but you might get put on the wait list and then there might be movement in May or June." Everyone was so nice but apparently giving people a heads up they are interviewing for a wait-list spot before spending hundreds of dollars to travel was not in their plan.

I can't believe that all the seat are filled. I was on their alt/wait list since the first week of November. I don't think I will have any more chance:(, since then, there are so many students interviewed. I am so disappointed:(. This school is my first choice.

I can't believe that all the seat are filled. I was on their alt/wait list since the first week of November. I don't think I will have any more chance:(, since then, there are so many students interviewed. I am so disappointed:(. This school is my first choice.

Have hope guys. We do take a good number of students off the waitlist. I have a few friends who got in off the waitlist with no problem.

It just takes time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have hope guys. We do take a good number of students off the waitlist. I have a few friends who got in off the waitlist with no problem.

It just takes time.

Thanks Digitlnoize, you are always so encouraging, and us alternates definitely need that now. It's just discouraging that all the spots are filled so early in the game. I know one of your previous posts explains how people drop as you go along the timeline, but it's still discouraging :(

They told us that once there was going to be some movement that they rank the students on the list and the Top 20 go first then they re evaluate them and offer spots and then do it again if necessary. Yeah this is my first choice too and I was kinda upset about dropping a bomb at the very end of the day. But hopefully something happens miraculously and I hear something good before my money has to be in for Seton Hill.

Think about it like this, you and I (I am interviewing tomorrow) interviewed really late for DO which means 1 of two things or both... You applied to MD and didnt hear anything or you are sick of waiting to start your dream. I am both. B/c of this we are probably more competitive then the students who only applied DO and interviewed already. There is a significant gap in MD and DO students IMO between MCAT and GPA and the MD applicant who didnt make it, can and still may have a significant advantage. So if your that good then you should move up that list pretty easily. A lot of students pay that $1500 as a lock-in fee but as soon as they get that MD acceptance they are not in our competition anymore. I predict in the next two months those lists should get very mobile.

Although this post may sound demeaning I do not mean it to be so, just trying to boost positivity and hope :) This is just fact, from talking to my buddies who have done the above mentioned procedure. I am 100% for LECOM-B and I hope the best to us all.

Think about it like this, you and I (I am interviewing tomorrow) interviewed really late for DO which means 1 of two things or both... You applied to MD and didnt hear anything or you are sick of waiting to start your dream. I am both. B/c of this we are probably more competitive then the students who only applied DO and interviewed already. There is a significant gap in MD and DO students IMO between MCAT and GPA and the MD applicant who didnt make it, can and still may have a significant advantage. So if your that good then you should move up that list pretty easily. A lot of students pay that $1500 as a lock-in fee but as soon as they get that MD acceptance they are not in our competition anymore. I predict in the next two months those lists should get very mobile.

Although this post may sound demeaning I do not mean it to be so, just trying to boost positivity and hope :) This is just fact, from talking to my buddies who have done the above mentioned procedure. I am 100% for LECOM-B and I hope the best to us all.

Although this is pretty common, I'm not sure it's as common as you think. I have a good number (not just 1 or 2...but, really, a lot) who only applied to DO.

For me, LECOM-B was on absolutely equal footing with my possible MD schools. Technically, LECOM-B was tied for 2nd. #1 was UVA (which I had no chance at, but wanted it because it was in my hometown and close to family). #2 was a tie between EVMS in Norfolk (which I really think is a spectacular MD school) and LECOM-B. All my other MD app choices fell well below LECOM-B. #1 was automatically out, since I had too low a CGPA (3.4, but my SGPA was 3.8) thanks to grades from 12 years ago (grrrr). I was waitlisted at EVMS with a promise from the Dean and the Board that I'd get a spot, but they just didn't offer hardly any that year (see a few posts above).

I'm not 100% sure what we would've done if we'd gotten into EVMS. I think we probably would've still picked LECOM-B over the MD acceptance. I think both schools offered equal quality of education, although LECOM-B's preclinicals, I think are better and EVMS' clinical exposure is better. Ultimately, LECOM-B was a much better fit for us, as a family, as well as a better town for us to live in than Norfolk. Tuition was about equal. Health Plan here was MUCH MUCH better. I just had a $30k catheter ablation of an arrhythmia that I've had since a kid. It cost me nothing with my LECOM insurance. At EVMS, it would've cost me at least $6k (20%) if not more. We're also thinking about another kid soon, so that's another big chunk of change saved with our health insurance. When we put all of these things together, LECOM-B was just the better choice...and I'm pretty sure we would've made the same decision, even WITH an MD acceptance.

Again, though, a lot of my classmates were DO only, for whatever reason. For some, its a family tradition. For others, they really wanted OMM. Others wanted to stay in Florida. Others just loved the LECOM-B PBL. We're not all MD rejects.

All of that being said...you do have hope. The list does move, but I don't think it's as much as it might be at some other DO schools, or even as much as it was in the past. Word has gotten out about how awesome we are, and it has become a lot more competitive. I have a lot of classmates with MCATs well over 30 and great GPAs. The data on the website is way out of date.

I totatlly agree I said I didnt want anyone to take it that direction. I am merely stating a fact that spots should and usually do move around during this time and I gave my reason for it. Its not the only reason but indeed a significant one none the less. I have similar motives to you. My decision to apply is based on location and costs. I applied to both types that were near Sarasota because I have a child and that is where I am from (Lots of help from fam and friends). I am ambivalent to either I just wanted to multiply my options towards making my dream come true to practice medicine. Best of luck :)

I totatlly agree I said I didnt want anyone to take it that direction. I am merely stating a fact that spots should and usually do move around during this time and I gave my reason for it. Its not the only reason but indeed a significant one none the less. I have similar motives to you. My decision to apply is based on location and costs. I applied to both types that were near Sarasota because I have a child and that is where I am from (Lots of help from fam and friends). I am ambivalent to either I just wanted to multiply my options towards making my dream come true to practice medicine. Best of luck :)

I know...I just wanted to reinforce that point for others...just in case...can't be too careful around these parts...

Good luck, and if you want to get together sometime to ask questions or whatnot, if you're down here, then PM me...

good luck on your interview tomorrow. Let us know what do the admission counselors say about the spots opening. If you could also ask them how many students on the wait/alternate list.

I shot down VCU (Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA) for my LECOM-B acceptance (back in November) - chica chica yeahhh! Haha, anyway, goodluck with everything. I'm guessing you'll see some movement in a month or two (though that does stink). :cool:

Wow you must really be invested into the DO pathway and PBL because VCU is a pretty good school.

So I'm flying down with my family in a couple weeks to go apartment hunting and to get to know the surrounding area some more. Any suggestions from current students? About places to stay (we're definitely gonna be looking at the 3-4 apt complexes mentioned during my interview) or any sights/student hang-out spots/important stuff around town we should check out? The only other time I was in Sarasota/Bradenton was for my interview...so I definitely wanna get a more comprehensive feel of what it'll be like living there this fall. (and yea, I am super excited that I got in :D and 2. That I get to live in beautiful FL)

Also, a comment on the waitlist....If you're an applicant that is on that alt list, don't lose hope! I know what that wait is like (although mine was really short), I found out a week from my interview that I was placed on the alternate list. Then they called my 4 days later with a spot! Adcom people also reassured me during my short time on the alt list, that the list does move, it's all about being patient and giving them the assurance that you actually want to go to that school. So a letter of intent can go a long way. Anyway, good luck to everyone waiting for decisions!

There are a few hotels at 64 and I-75 you could stay in that would keep you close to school. I think we stayed at the Day's Inn the first night when we moved down here. If you're thinking about getting roommates, I would suggest contacting a realtor to check out some properties when you come. You have a lot more negotiating power when you are dealing with private renters than if you were dealing with an apartment complex in my opinion. I know there are several condos for rent on my street. For fun stuff, you should check out the beaches as its starting to warm up. They are all a little bit different. Anna Maria island is the closest to school, but Siesta Key and Lido beach/st armands circle are great places to see. If you have a dog, there is a dog beach in Venice about 40 mins away. To be honest, I haven't had much time to check out too many places in the area. All the day to day shopping is within 5-10 mins of here and when I have time off I usually go to the pool or the beach. Oh yeah, Myakka River state park is pretty cool, it is probably about 25 mins from here.

I shot down VCU (Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA) for my LECOM-B acceptance (back in November) - chica chica yeahhh! Haha, anyway, goodluck with everything. I'm guessing you'll see some movement in a month or two (though that does stink). :cool:

Good call. I went to VCU for undergrad, and I am NOT a very big fan of their medical school, despite having some good friends there.

I mean, it's ok, but I would not have done well there, and Richmond is a miserable city. Living there for 3 years was more than enough for me, thanks.

Some examples:

Blue baby (< 1 month old) came to my hospital ER. Intubated, stabilized. Transferred to MCV. Two days later, MCV anesthesia decides to extubate the baby, and re-intubate him so that the residents can PRACTICE intubations on a child. Needless to say, this was a bad idea. There was a good amount of swelling (duh) and they couldn't re-tube him. He coded. Got him back. Coded again. Got him back again. All in all, he suffered a good degree of brain damage...just so a resident could get some practice. I understand people need training, but there are proper times, and not proper times, and that was NOT a proper time.

I know someone's husband who stroked out in the MCV ER while waiting to be seen, despite having CLEAR stroke symptoms. This is NOT uncommon. Wait times there are STAGGERING, even for acute problems.

I know someone who teaches telemetry there and has had multiple RESIDENTS who can't identify VERY common rhythm abnormalities (A-fib, V-fib, etc). Even I can do that. Come on.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I wouldn't be so sure that it's a "great school" just because US News or SDN says so. They might have a big hospital...but that's about all they've got.

Hello all,

Congrats to all acceptees of LECOM-B C/O 2014. Looking forward to meeting you all.

I keep getting all these e-mails about different things we have to do. Is there one central place we can see everything to be done before matriculation? A checklist maybe?

Also, I'm currently looking to buy a house in the area and will need roommates. Anyone interested let me know.

Any current LECOM-B'ers have a suggestion about areas to live in/avoid? I'm hoping to find something partway from school and partway from things to do, local bar scene, etc

Hello all,

Congrats to all acceptees of LECOM-B C/O 2014. Looking forward to meeting you all.

I keep getting all these e-mails about different things we have to do. Is there one central place we can see everything to be done before matriculation? A checklist maybe?

Also, I'm currently looking to buy a house in the area and will need roommates. Anyone interested let me know.

Any current LECOM-B'ers have a suggestion about areas to live in/avoid? I'm hoping to find something partway from school and partway from things to do, local bar scene, etc

If you want to live close to school, your choices are basically somewhere off SR 64 (Yacht Club, Heritage Harbour), somewhere off SR 70 (Northern Lakewood Ranch), or somewhere off University Ave (Southern Lakewood Ranch, Colonial Grand).

There are well-frequented bars at each of these locations, as well as downtown Sarasota and out by the Beaches. Either way, plan on doing a bit of driving to get to a bar. World of Beer on University is rather popular, as is Cock & Bull, also off University.

I would say that the Yacht Club probably has the greatest # of students living there, but I personally think that it's a bit overpriced and the most "remote" of the bunch. If you can find a house or townhouse in LWR, then that's the best thing to do, IMO. If you're set on an apartment, I'd seriously consider Colonial Grand. I think they have the best combo of location (walking distance to LWR Main Street, which has a Beer Theater and a couple of Bars) and price, but I'm a bit out of that loop.

Nevermind I am foolish...found it. There's a checklist in the Matriculation packet pdf

I would say that the Yacht Club probably has the greatest # of students living there, but I personally think that it's a bit overpriced and the most "remote" of the bunch. If you can find a house or townhouse in LWR, then that's the best thing to do, IMO. If you're set on an apartment, I'd seriously consider Colonial Grand. I think they have the best combo of location (walking distance to LWR Main Street, which has a Beer Theater and a couple of Bars) and price, but I'm a bit out of that loop.
absolutely, you're best bang for the buck is LWR townhouses. when i first came down, the market was still very high and the rent for a 1000sq ft LWR townie w/garage was the same as 750sq ft, no garage colonial grand apt. the market dropped and you can buy/rent a towie or a home cheaper than the apts an slightly cheaper than yacht club. esp over on the east side of LWR neighborhood on lorrainne rd. just drive around (that's what I did) or get a realtor on line, then meet them when you come down.
I haven't done the club/bar scene but I know mcallisters, a scottish bar/restaurant in LWR main st, has a discount for LECOM students

absolutely, you're best bang for the buck is LWR townhouses. when i first came down, the market was still very high and the rent for a 1000sq ft LWR townie w/garage was the same as 750sq ft, no garage colonial grand apt. the market dropped and you can buy/rent a towie or a home cheaper than the apts an slightly cheaper than yacht club. esp over on the east side of LWR neighborhood on lorrainne rd. just drive around (that's what I did) or get a realtor on line, then meet them when you come down.
I haven't done the club/bar scene but I know mcallisters, a scottish bar/restaurant in LWR main st, has a discount for LECOM students

What would you recommend if there is no way that I can come down until I move in July 1st? Haha, I think that's pretty much why I'm sticking with an apartment at least for the first year because I won't be able to physically go down and check out places that I might be able to rent.

As for VCU - yeah, I definitely did NOT want to be in Richmond. They're trying hard to make it a nicer city but, no thanks. Too many people get mugged/raped on a daily basis for me. I tried ODU for a year and a half and it was the worst year and a half of my life. City living = not for me. Richmond would have been that x10. Cue me transferring to Virginia Tech spring of my sophomore year even though I'm from Pennsylvania. Yeah.. I'm weird, lol. And honestly, I thought LECOM was better (not just location :D but in their style of teaching and their preparation of good doctors - I'm not sayin' VCU doesn't produce good docs, but, I want to learn to the best of my ability and I think LECOM is definitely the right choice for that).

What would you recommend if there is no way that I can come down until I move in July 1st? Haha, I think that's pretty much why I'm sticking with an apartment at least for the first year because I won't be able to physically go down and check out places that I might be able to rent.

I couldn't come down early either, so we got our house in LWR on Craiglist.

Our future (at the time) landlord was really nice and sent us TONS of pics of every angle of the inside of the house so we could figure out the floor plan and see if we liked it. She was so great to work with that we knew it wouldn't be a problem. We were also talking to a couple of realtors and they were quite helpful too...this house was just a better deal...

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to do most of this stuff online ahead of time. Just get a feel for the person and get TONS of pics. Make sure you still do a walk-through before hand though. Most people will work with you, just let 'em know what's up.

Hey Poohbear,

I'm working on buying a house down there and once I do I am going to be looking to rent extra rooms. If you don't find anything that works for you definitely let me know

Congrats! And now I totally see why, PBL is awesome I think it will def prepare me way more efficiently than any other program (for me) but I only feel this way because I get it, but I can see how a lot of people dont. Interview went great I love it there. Wish I did this 9 months ago :oops:

Oh and no word about the openings... they didnt mention anything being closed at the end of our day. I didnt read this at all yesterday so I didnt ask about wait list, sorry.

definitely do able, keep your deposit at the apt and keep looking. if you don't find anything else, at least you'll have the apt. that was my original plan until I found this place and I didn't move in until the weekend before school started

Congrats! And now I totally see why, PBL is awesome I think it will def prepare me way more efficiently than any other program (for me) but I only feel this way because I get it, but I can see how a lot of people dont. Interview went great I love it there. Wish I did this 9 months ago :oops:

Oh and no word about the openings... they didnt mention anything being closed at the end of our day. I didnt read this at all yesterday so I didnt ask about wait list, sorry.

Yay! Glad you liked it. The palm trees help quite a bit too. Haha :)

Interviewed 3/30. Saw that a decision had been made on portal, called today and told I was an alternate. Figured that was the decision!

I was interviewed 3/12 and was placed on alternate list as well. I did call the office and they state that I was highly ranked....(almost sounded like I was in b/c a good number of students drop out). Only time will tell....

I interviewed 3/26 and called and got the "Alternate" sport. They said that "This is a really long list." but it is ranked based on merit not time they were put on the list. Good luck to everyone.

I didn't think the shadowing thing was all that, in matter of fact i felt guilty I wasn't studying instead! I did the same thing with the white board towards then end when the pharm classes arrived. I'll throw up a pic of the crazy ass PBL white board review if I can find it
PBL board before exams......couldn't get it to paste sorry

Attachments

• IMG_2513.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 281
I was wondering if anyone could please comment on how the clinical rotations are at LECOM-B and if there are any opportunities for international rotations or if there any international experiences at all. And also, how early do we get clinical experience, I forgot the answer I received during my interview day. Thanks!!

I was wondering if anyone could please comment on how the clinical rotations are at LECOM-B and if there are any opportunities for international rotations or if there any international experiences at all. And also, how early do we get clinical experience, I forgot the answer I received during my interview day. Thanks!!

I'll mostly leave rotations to someone else...I haven't started yet. There are international rotations, I believe.

You start seeing Standardized Patients at the beginning of Year 1, Semester 1. Maybe not Day 1, but pretty soon after you start.

During years 1 and 2, the only "real world, real patients" experience you'll get is either through some volunteer activities (which there's a lot of) or through some shadowing that either you or a club you're involved in set up. The school used to do clinical shadowing during the first 2 years, but it apparently wasn't great, 'cause they dropped it.

Rotations are what you make them. We have a lot of flexibility regarding location and electives and what not, so you really can do anything you want. If you want to stay here, probably not a problem. If you want to set up your own rotations at Hospital X in your hometown. Also probably not a problem...you have to be willing to do the leg work though...

Wow, that's a lot of material on both boards. I bet that's just the most important things.

You can also bet that it's that x 10 room x 7 days to get "just the most important things" down.

I can't see very well in the pics, but I'd guess that there's maybe 4-5 chapters on that board. Tops. Probably more like 2 or 3. And, it's highly distilled.

Our PBL tests have 40+ chapters each. I've got a test in a couple weeks (last one!!!) and we're sitting at 50 chapters now...with 4 or 5 more on the way...

Make no mistake, it's a crapload of info. "Like drinking from a firehose."

Yeah, we (1st year) have our 2nd PBL test on thursday. It's going to be bad. I would say we have close to 700-800 pages of material on it. I haven't really bothered counting. I think it would be really interesting to go back this summer and count how many pages we have been tested on this year. If I ever get around to it I'll post it on here. If I had to make a guess right now, I bet it is close to 5,000.

I appreciate the info, thank you!

I'll mostly leave rotations to someone else...I haven't started yet. There are international rotations, I believe.

You start seeing Standardized Patients at the beginning of Year 1, Semester 1. Maybe not Day 1, but pretty soon after you start.

During years 1 and 2, the only "real world, real patients" experience you'll get is either through some volunteer activities (which there's a lot of) or through some shadowing that either you or a club you're involved in set up. The school used to do clinical shadowing during the first 2 years, but it apparently wasn't great, 'cause they dropped it.

Rotations are what you make them. We have a lot of flexibility regarding location and electives and what not, so you really can do anything you want. If you want to stay here, probably not a problem. If you want to set up your own rotations at Hospital X in your hometown. Also probably not a problem...you have to be willing to do the leg work though...

I interviewed on 3/30, found out today i was placed on the alternate list. seems that quite a few of us are on that list. praying i get in, lecom is my first choice

I interviewed on 3/30, found out today i was placed on the alternate list. seems that quite a few of us are on that list. praying i get in, lecom is my first choice

at the end of your interview day, did they say anything about not accepting anymore students? Or how long the list? Or when will they stop interview students?

You can also bet that it's that x 10 room x 7 days to get "just the most important things" down.

I can't see very well in the pics, but I'd guess that there's maybe 4-5 chapters on that board. Tops. Probably more like 2 or 3. And, it's highly distilled.

Our PBL tests have 40+ chapters each. I've got a test in a couple weeks (last one!!!) and we're sitting at 50 chapters now...with 4 or 5 more on the way...

Make no mistake, it's a crapload of info. "Like drinking from a firehose."

Wow, that's a lot of material on both boards. I bet that's just the most important things.
yeah I squeezed in 1 highlight of each chapter and relevant case study questions but there's no way in hell to squeeze it all. 4 of us each had a room like that and shared the work, then an "open house" 1-2 days before the exam.

you have to join the international med club to 'qualify" for the int rotations. honestly if you want to go overseas, just go. also there are tons of medical missionary trips that private docs go on. I let it go at that.
rotations- lots of legwork...yes
might have to find your own housing/food....possible
getting the audition rotation that could lock in your residency....priceless.

I was interviewed 3/12 and was placed on alternate list as well. I did call the office and they state that I was highly ranked....(almost sounded like I was in b/c a good number of students drop out). Only time will tell....

I interviewed 3/26 and called and got the "Alternate" sport. They said that "This is a really long list." but it is ranked based on merit not time they were put on the list. Good luck to everyone.

both you called and they said the list is ranked and they told you where you are on the list. I am wondering who did you talk to and they told you that info?