LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd like to second what digitlnoize said. As a complement to his point about rudeness: I got some advice before I started about certain faculty members coming off as "scary" at first, but believe me they really aren't. I haven't met a single faculty member that wasn't very approachable and helpful. Of course some professors will take you off on a million tangents before you get to your original question, but they are all approachable and even friendly in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

5. Hmm...what else? Any Questions?

Med school is hard, and alot of work, but its worth it.

Your information is very helpful! I have a couple things to ask. How are people doing with clerkships, do you hear much? Do people visit the school at all during years 3 and 4? Do you get to stay in the Bradenton area? I'm married, so I would like to stay in one place for as long as possible so that my husband can establish his career as well.

Exalya, I will defer to digitl as I know he is married too (as am I), but coming from a first year we just had hospital day and there were programs from all over the country represented for rotations and residencies. I really enjoyed it and there are quite a few hospitals within driving distance that you can do rotations at. The way I understand it, you really want to try to do some away rotations at locations you are interested in doing residencies, so in that regard the nearby hospitals might not fit. But for core rotations I believe you can do most of them in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exalya, I will defer to digitl as I know he is married too (as am I), but coming from a first year we just had hospital day and there were programs from all over the country represented for rotations and residencies. I really enjoyed it and there are quite a few hospitals within driving distance that you can do rotations at. The way I understand it, you really want to try to do some away rotations at locations you are interested in doing residencies, so in that regard the nearby hospitals might not fit. But for core rotations I believe you can do most of them in the area.

I'm mostly concerned with core stuff. ^.^ I am given to understand that going away is good for some residencies, but what I worry about is being away all the time. I've gleaned some information from other posts, but none of the posts I've read completely address the issue. Sounds like it's not terrible inconvenient, though.

I'm not from the area, and this year has been crazy so far, but there are at least 4 hospitals I know of in sarasota/bradenton and then there is Tampa too. Many students live off 64/75 so its not bad commuting to St Petes or Tampa.

For the most part if you want to stay in one area for most of your cores it shouldn't be a problem. I'm married as well and wanted to stay in the area and am doing all my rotations the Tampa/St Pete/Bradenton area.

There are several hospitals and bunch of affliated physicians around the area. Plus you could always setup your own if you wanted. Orlando has some full year spots at Florida Hospital and then there are a bunch up North that I'm not familiar with.

For the most part I think people went where they wanted. I know some single students who are doing a lot of traveling and I know others who wanted to move back home with their family and setup most of their own rotations. Just requires you to stay on top of any paperwork deadlines.

Haha. Are you suggesting that people from the northeast aren't as friendly? :laugh: You [may] have no idea what 20+ years of long winters and many feet of snow can do to a person. And after all, it isn't always sunny in Philadelphia...:laugh:

It's not that they aren't as friendly...but if you're not used to the "style" of NE speech, it is easy to misinterpret.

Agreed about the winters. I think that's what does it.

Your information is very helpful! I have a couple things to ask. How are people doing with clerkships, do you hear much? Do people visit the school at all during years 3 and 4? Do you get to stay in the Bradenton area? I'm married, so I would like to stay in one place for as long as possible so that my husband can establish his career as well.

From what I hear, people really like the clerkships. I know quite a few people who are staying in this area mostly, and like the rotations they're on.

There has been much written on how the process of clerkships works, but basically, for us, it's gone like this so far:

End of 1st year we each filled out a little form where we picked whether we wanted to be in a certain rotation group (thus having the order of rotations you prefer, or a certain vacation month) or if you wanted a "location" preference.

People often pick group because they want to have alot of electives early in 4th year for Residency Auditions, or they need a certain vacation month to get married, etc. People pick location if they want to stay near family, etc. Unfortunately, there are no real guarantees, but our class prez did a pretty good job of putting everyone into our groups.

Each group has different rotations at different times. So if there's 10 "local" OB/GYN spots, only 1 group is filling those spots at any given time. Most of our groups are 11-14 members.

I think for the most part, there's plenty of local spots for people that want them. At least, there have been in the past. The spots change from year to year though, as does the desires of a given class, so what's true last year may not be true for my year, or yours.

Regardless, thus far, it's all worked out pretty well, and I think it will continue to do so.

You do have to come back to school at the end of each core rotation to take Shelf Exams, so you'll be back here a few times in 3rd and 4th year. Alot of people certainly do stay.

My plan (and hopefully it will work out) is to stay here as much as I can, and do maybe one or two months away to "get my foot in the door" at other places. My fam understands this and is very supportive, since my future career is their livelihood too!

There's a "list" of the Clinical Clerkship sites on the my.lecom.edu website under clinical curriculum. I think it's a bit outdated, but it'll give you an idea of where things are.

How many applications does LECOM bradenton get for those 169 spots????

How many applications does LECOM bradenton get for those 169 spots????

Per the admissions staff, last year there were ~3800 primary apps submitted to LECOM-Bradenton. I don't have stats on secondaries submitted, interviews, etc.

LECOM-B does 2 interviewers to 1 applicant. When I interviewed they had none of my personal info in front of them. But some other people I interviewed with said that interviewers brought up certain questions, like about specific research, that they could not have known without looking at their file beforehand.

I wouldnt be surpised if they browse people's essays, etc. before the interview, even though it is supposedly closed file.

I had two interviewers...one said they looked at my file, the other said he didn't and they asked questions accordingly. I don't think that it should really matter if it's open or closed...they are just trying to get to know you and what kind of person you are. Just relax, have fun,be yourself, and know what osteopathic medicine is.

Why do they take longer than Erie campus to process secondaries? Has this been the case with all of you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do they take longer than Erie campus to process secondaries? Has this been the case with all of you?

Bradenton: Submitted 9/12...II call 9/17
Erie: Submitted 9/12...Status change to "scheduled for interview" on 9/24...II via email 9/28

I hear that LECOM-Erie gets more applications then LECOM-Bradenton. I believe the figure I saw was Erie around 5,300 applications, Bradenton around 3,800 applicants. but then again I came across this figures around 8 months ago.

I interviewed last week 10/2, but i missed when they said we could call this week to find out if we were accepted. was it Wednesday or Thursday?

Yaaaaaayyyy!!!!! Interviewed yesterday, 10/5, accepted today, 10/6!!!!!!!!!!!! Woot woot :soexcited:

Yaaaaaayyyy!!!!! Interviewed yesterday, 10/5, accepted today, 10/6!!!!!!!!!!!! Woot woot :soexcited:

WOW! That's a fast turnaround. Congrats!

Any extra tips for us hopefuls? :D I swear, I spend more time hoping/researching for medical schools than I spend studying this year....

Wow! Congrats! Did you call them or did they call you? I called at 2:30 and the woman who answered the phone said she hadn't received any letters at that time and asked if I could call back tomorrow morning. She didn't take my name, so ,.... maybe I could call back. Or.... I think I'll just try to wait till tomorrow :-(

Last edited:
I was actually on the alternative list last year and kept letting them know I was interested, but I never got off of it :-( I reapplied early and they interviewed me again. I guess Annette Shively felt like I had waited long enough, so she actually called me! My portal doesn't even say they made a decision yet! So unless Annette is playing a mean trick... I think I got in. Haha. Weird that they said that they didn't have any news at 2:30... because she called me at 2:16pm eastern time.

Still no decision or change in status!I'm getting a bad feeling. I'm going crazy waiting :-(

Just heard from Annette I'm on hold till next week! More waiting, sigh!

Interviewed here yesterday- very impressed with the program. It really seems to work. I think it's great that you don't have to sit through lectures from 9AM to 5PM five days a week at this school. Anyone else interview yesterday? Message me :)

Interviewing 10/23:D... Haven't booked the hotel yet- has anyone stayed at the Wingate nearby? I've heard that if you mention you are interviewing at LECOM that sometimes they'll upgrade you, has anyone done this? Not sure when you mention it- when booking or at check in... Help is appreciated!:oops:

Wingates are usually nice. I'm sure the one here is too. I'd call them and mention the LECOM thing when booking...unless you can find a better deal online somehow...

For those with $$: the Holiday Inn in Lakewood Ranch is also pretty nice and very close to school.

For those on a budget: the Econo Lodge on SR-64 is actually pretty nice (for an econo lodge) and is pretty nicely located and VERY cheap.

Wingates are usually nice. I'm sure the one here is too. I'd call them and mention the LECOM thing when booking...unless you can find a better deal online somehow...

For those with $$: the Holiday Inn in Lakewood Ranch is also pretty nice and very close to school.

For those on a budget: the Econo Lodge on SR-64 is actually pretty nice (for an econo lodge) and is pretty nicely located and VERY cheap.

Taking it a step further and couch surfing. I have a friend who attends ringling in Sarasota. Hopefully the traffic/commute won't be too bad in the AM.

Congrats to those accepted!! I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ellenton. The hotel has a shuttle driver who will take you to LECOM-B in the a.m. (I think it was $16 for round-trip, can't remember exact) and there was a complimentary breakfast at the Hampton Inn from 6am-0930 am.

Congrats to those accepted!! I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ellenton. The hotel has a shuttle driver who will take you to LECOM-B in the a.m. (I think it was $16 for round-trip, can't remember exact) and there was a complimentary breakfast at the Hampton Inn from 6am-0930 am.

I also stayed at the Hampton Inn when I was down for my interview 2 years ago.

For those coming, I would highly recommend that you rent a car if you can. I personally think it's worth it to take a tour of the area and check it out.

I recommend:

Lakewood Ranch Main Street: straight south of school on LWR Blvd. Great movie theater (which serves beer and wine!)

Siesta Key Beach: Best beach in the known universe, unless you're a surfer. Not much surf. But the water is pretty much always warm and the white, flour-like sand doesn't get hot because the type of quartz it's made of doesn't conduct heat. Perfect.

Downtown Sarasota: Decent Bar Scene, if you're into that kind of thing. Also fun shops, good restaurants. Still not a big city, but I think it's fun.

St. Armand's Key: More fun shopping/restaurants/scenery. Columbia's Famous Salad is awesome. Worth Checking out.

You can also check out some of the apartments or neighborhoods you'll likely be living in. Most people live in either the Yacht Club (behind Walmart on SR-64) or Colonial Grand (LWR, near "Main Street", by LWR Hospital), or in LWR itself.

More than worth it, IMO. It's easy to just go to the school and think that it's in the middle of nowhere...which really isn't true, although a few of my classmates claim otherwise. I personally have more stuff to do here than I have time for!

I was also accepted yesterday. Is LECOM-Bradenton a top choice for you?

Another question... about the spouse thing. My husband is finishing up his second year at community college (because he was in the army, he started college later than me), and will be transferring to /a/ university wherever I end up going to med school. What kind of opportunities are there for spouses to go to college? I noticed that there is the new college of Florida in Sarasota, but the degrees looked kind of limited... Tampa has a university, but is Tampa too far out of the way?

Another question... about the spouse thing. My husband is finishing up his second year at community college (because he was in the army, he started college later than me), and will be transferring to /a/ university wherever I end up going to med school. What kind of opportunities are there for spouses to go to college? I noticed that there is the new college of Florida in Sarasota, but the degrees looked kind of limited... Tampa has a university, but is Tampa too far out of the way?

I am wondering the same thing as my boyfriend will be coming me wherever I do end up. I know a lot of schools are in the same city as other major universities, but I had not quite figured out the situation in Bradenton. Any info from current students or Florida residents?

There is the State College of Florida which was Manatee community college until eariler this year when they changed names and began offering 4 yr degrees. Definitely local but as they just started full 4 yr programs the choices are probably limited.

There is New college of Florida which is a private 4yr college in Sarasota.

Not sure what your husband is looking into but in there is also the Ringling Art/design school and Manatee Technical Institute.

And of course USF is up in Tampa, probably roughly 1hr away (just go north on I75). The commute is totally up to ya'll to decide on. I know a few people who lived in Tampa or st Pete and commuted down to school during their first two years or had a spouse who commutes up to Tampa for a while.

Thanks to both of you! Google maps actually told me that a couple of those campusses were closed, when obviously they are not :/. Silly google maps. USF-Sarasota has a degree program that would fit for my husband... so now I have no reservations about LECOM-B going in. ^.^

Of those of you who interviewed this year, what state are you from? I was wondering if the article posted earlier in this thread about LECOM-Bradenton favoring Florida students over other states was true. If you did interview from another state besides Florida, please post that you did.... In fact the state is not that important but It gives me an idea about the validity of the article. I am just curious.

Of those of you who interviewed this year, what state are you from? I was wondering if the article posted earlier in this thread about LECOM-Bradenton favoring Florida students over other states was true. If you did interview from another state besides Florida, please post that you did.... In fact the state is not that important but It gives me an idea about the validity of the article. I am just curious.

I interview 10/23 and I'm from NY... a lot of the people I saw on this thread were not FL residents, in fact I remember it sticking out to me that I saw so few (well, maybe they just aren't on here posting...)

Interviewing 11/6 from Texas.

Last edited:

Interview 11/6. I'm a resident of Maine and currently a graduate student at Emory U in Atlanta.

I sent in my deposit yesterday...The only thing that will keep me from going here is getting into my state school (financial reasons). I'm sort of hoping I don't get into the state school so I can end up here....I really liked lecom-b! Good luck everyone

Interviewing 10/30 and I'm from Pennsylvania.

Interviewing 10/30. Grew up in Michigan and still a resident there but live in Florida now.

does anyone know if there exists a list of current lecom-b students to stay with while interviewing, or know who to contact about such info?

by the way... from NY and interviewing nov. 13th(friday... lucky me:()

Hey guys. I just talked to Heather. Relax about this whole Florida thing. She said that if you're a good applicant they'll look at you. Doesn't matter what state youre from. The make up of the classes changes from year to year. Last year was ~50% Fl but it's not a set quota. K?

does anyone know if there exists a list of current lecom-b students to stay with while interviewing, or know who to contact about such info?

by the way... from NY and interviewing nov. 13th(friday... lucky me:()

I believe earlier in this thread a girl named Annie (Griswold maybe?) mentioned being able to host oos students who are interviewing. Check all the pages in this thread

Now that I think of it, I think she mentioned something about "couch surfers (.com maybe??)"...and to look her up on the website?

Last edited: