LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got august 19th interview =) so excited see you all there! -

Members don't see this ad.

I hope that you will "knock their socks off" during your interview at LECOM-Erie. It would be wonderful to see your persistence paying off.

thank you so much. i sure hope I do!

Members don't see this ad :)
see u there man.
NICE

Right on! One step closer to fishing that lake. I'm hoping to hear something next week maybe? I was processed 9 days ago...i.e. have been "under review" for 9 days. We'll see! Good luck!!
thanks, nine days isnt that long. i think i was under review for close to three weeks. hopefully youll hear something!

OMG OMG GOT AN INTERVIEW CALL FOR THE 8/26! I guess my gpa saved me from my mcat score lol. i didnt even indicate to them that i am retaking it. now i am in a sticky situation...is it safe to update on AACOMAS that I am retaking it when i got an interview invite? i m not completely sure i am taking it yet cuz i have taken it twice. depends on my practice scores. my best score was a 24 (6 VR, 10 PS, 8 BS). with a 3.7 science and 3.76 gpa. any advice on what i should do?

Last edited:
also, how are you guys preparing for the interview?

Saw you guys at LECOM today! I was the one in the library studying! So how do you think it went?:luck:

yeah how did the interviews go today? I think the first group went correct? anyone mind sharing some questions for future interviewees? and divulging some info such as if they were group interviews as usual?

hope it went well for those who interviewed yesterday!!!

anyone mind sharing their day:
which hotel they stayed at, if you flew in from a different state- how did you get to the hotels from airport (which airport) and vice versa, did you use the shuttle system the hotels provide.

how did the actual interview go (i'm assuming it was group since it was the first one), what kind of questions were asked (if you don't mind sharing for future interviewers), stress-level, etc...

I'm asking about the travel because even though I read previous threads they don't mention or hone in on how all the transportation worked and I know people do not want to be late on interview day and bogged down by transportation when there is more important things to focus on!

So thanks in advance if you shared your thoughts. :D

I drove in from Ohio, so I don't have any useful airport information. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, and it was a pretty nice place. It was also just down the road from the school itself.

They put us in the cafeteria to wait for everyone to show up and everyone was pretty chatty/friendly. Then they collected us all and took us upstairs to lecture hall B, which is apparently the pharmacy lecture hall. We spent about an hour and a half hearing about the school, the town, the PBL pathway, etc. Afterwords they divided us up into 4 groups (35ish people total, so groups of 8-9 people). Each of the 4 groups had two interviewers and we meandered into separate rooms. My group ended up in a micro-bio lab because the room we were supposed to use had students in it.

They had us introduce ourselves. They said that they have not seen our file, so include anything that you want them to know about you. Most of us went with home town, school, volunteer experiences, and maybe another fact or two. Then every person was asked a single question that they alone had to answer. One girl was asked about a teacher that she didn't see eye-to-eye with and how she resolved it. That sort of thing. The last guy to answer was training for a triathlon, so they used that as segue to ask a group discussion question about if healthy people and slobs both equally deserve healthcare. I think that everyone got at least one point in. Then we had a chance to ask questions about the school. Some of us had questions and some didn't.

After the interview we went back to the lecture hall and listened to a presentation about financial aid. After the presentation we had to select the pathway that we wished to enter into as well as express if we want a decision about our status to be made immediately or not until December 16th. We handed in our papers and toured the building, ultimately ending in the lunch room.

People grouped together at different tables, and second year students sat and chatted with us for a while. I felt that this was the best time to ask questions that only a student would know. Things like, "Can you hear the teachers in the back of the lecture hall." "Are the teachers actually helpful?" "How do you feel about your pathway selection?" That sort of thing.

Then we were done. The whole experience was relatively non-stressful.

My advice is to be yourself, and if you can work it into your answer without making it awkward, it wouldn't hurt to include something about how osteopathic medicine is great.

Very very helpfull. Thank you. It seems like everyone gets a chance to talk and that it is relatively non stressfull. I am curiious as tto how they make their selection oof accepted, waitlisted, rejected etc. Hmm I guess they give everyone a chance to shine?

I'm sure you did good and good luck.

Oh and did any interviewees have their spouses with them?

Thank you so much for the information!
I'm going on the 26th of August, and probably staying in Garden Inn. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very very helpfull. Thank you. It seems like everyone gets a chance to talk and that it is relatively non stressfull. I am curiious as tto how they make their selection oof accepted, waitlisted, rejected etc. Hmm I guess they give everyone a chance to shine?

I'm sure you did good and good luck.

Oh and did any interviewees have their spouses with them?

Several of the staff members throughout the process commented that they don't usually have to start wait-listing people until February or March. My best GUESS is that you just have to show up and not do anything particularly unfortunate and you should be fine. They wanted us to relax and just be ourselves (easier said than done). One guy said, "We want people as brilliant as Dr. House, but if you have his personality you can go home now."

I don't know about spouses. No one brought company into the building itself, but almost everyone seemed to have a ride picking them up. My mother was checking out the town while I interviewed and she picked me up.

A side note, EVERYONE except one person in the first group was wearing a full formal suit. Guys and girls alike. Some of the women had nice blouses under the suit jacket instead of a button up shirt, but they did wear a suit jacket. If you don't wear one, you will stand out, and probably not in a good way.

Is there anyone to contact about the fact that my primary has been under review for like a month??? Did I get lost? I have an interview in Bradenton, so I can't be THAT far out of their specs...

I'm the exact opposite as you. Got an invite from Erie, but haven't heard a thing from Bradenton

you know what paracrine, i completely forgot to ask one of the most VITAL questions. What did YOU think of the school yourself. what did you think of the facilities, the faculty etc.

I sent an email... they've had my stuff for a month, that's long enough to review...

you know what paracrine, i completely forgot to ask one of the most VITAL questions. What did YOU think of the school yourself. what did you think of the facilities, the faculty etc.

The school seems pretty legitimate. Every member of the staff that I met was absolutely friendly. I got a sense that they genuinely care about their students. They have an open door policy if you have any questions or need help with anything.

The building itself seems really new. The place is amazingly clean (probably due to the no food or drink outside of the cafeteria policy). The labs looked modern and clean as well.

The student that I chatted with during our lunch said that the school's tuition is so low because they don't pay money to their affiliated hospitals. They have affiliations based on reputation alone, which says good things about the school in my eyes.

Best I can tell, they give a solid education and you really get out of it what you put into it. I still hope to get some more interviews to compare schools, but if I am accepted to LECOM, I would not be disappointed what-so-ever to attend.

ParacrineAgent, about the dress code, what was the person wearing that didn't have a suit, jeans and a polo??? lol

thanks for your advice

So, what does everyone think? chances of hearing back about acceptance/rejection/wait list sometime this week for the July 29th interviewees? I'm so anxious!

For people who haven't yet received a secondary, I contacted them, they said there was a computer glitch and I should have already received my secondary and they fixed and it came immediately. So, if you have heard crickets, contact them ASAP!

ParacrineAgent, about the dress code, what was the person wearing that didn't have a suit, jeans and a polo??? lol

thanks for your advice

She had dress pants on and a blouse with a green thinga-mabober that went over her shoulders and arms. I don't know enough about women's clothing to tell you what it was called. :shrug:

And DirectorP32C, I would venture to guess that we will be more likely to hear back next week rather than this week. Most people in last year's thread seemed to all be hearing back right around 2 weeks out.

They said that they have not seen our file, so include anything that you want them to know about you. Most of us went with home town, school, volunteer experiences, and maybe another fact or two.

How long were the answers? One minute? 5? 10?

Then every person was asked a single question that they alone had to answer. One girl was asked about a teacher that she didn't see eye-to-eye with and how she resolved it.

What if you never had a conflict with a teacher? I've been trying to think of a personal example that would answer that question, but I can't.

Thank you so much for telling us your experience! It's VERY helpful. :)

The time everyone took to answer varied. When I am nervous (and I was) I tend to talk faster than normal. So I got just as much information in as everyone else, but I took less time. I would say 2-3 minutes per answer was what most people were doing, though.

I am not sure what to tell you about a conflict with a teacher. There were questions that other people were asked that I would have had a difficult time answering the same way you would have time discussing a conflict with a teacher. I guess it is a sort of Russian Roulette with what question you get. I personally was asked to describe an accomplishment that I am particularly proud of and that helped to shape who I am today.

If I had never had a conflict with a teacher and they asked me to describe one, I would respectfully say that I was fortunate enough to never have run into that situation, but that I can describe a conflict with a boss/coworker/classmate/friend/someone. The people at LECOM seem really friendly and I would venture a guess that they would give you a little leeway.

Does anyone know how many people (% of those who submit primaries) are selected for an interview? And then, what % of those who interview are accepted?

I'm wondering this as well...

so I was processed the 12th of July which I guess really isn't that long ago but when I click on the requirements tab in admissions, it says that 3 credits of English haven't been completed yet...does anyone know if these credits have to be completed before an interview can be offered or denied?

I figured I would hear something back by now with a 3.43 cGPA 3.31 sGPA and 32 MCAT unless the English thing is holding up my application.

me too!!!!!!!!!!!!omg im going nutz

:thumbup:. Glad to hear of your interview invite, I've been pulling for you ever since the underdog thread. You should be in the second (or third?) interview group which means you should have a strong chance of being accepted. Just try not to stress, and think of one or two legitimate questions that you could ask in your interview group. If you have time leftover they will probably just have you guys ask a couple of questions.

The school seems pretty legitimate. Every member of the staff that I met was absolutely friendly. I got a sense that they genuinely care about their students. They have an open door policy if you have any questions or need help with anything.

The building itself seems really new. The place is amazingly clean (probably due to the no food or drink outside of the cafeteria policy). The labs looked modern and clean as well.

The student that I chatted with during our lunch said that the school's tuition is so low because they don't pay money to their affiliated hospitals. They have affiliations based on reputation alone, which says good things about the school in my eyes.

Best I can tell, they give a solid education and you really get out of it what you put into it. I still hope to get some more interviews to compare schools, but if I am accepted to LECOM, I would not be disappointed what-so-ever to attend.

This is pretty much how I felt about the school when I interviewed. Add in extremely low cost of living (compared to what I'm used to). A ridiculously nice fitness center (which I now have zero time for) and knowing that the school seems to be doing everything they can to be a top tier medical school was enough for me. We had a few presentations where we learned that they have sent people to Cali and they're working hard for rotation sites in Cali (apparently they have some) and they are becoming affiliated with more and more hospitals. I have no idea why the school gets ripped on in here. I guess dress code is that big of a deal to people:confused:.

Does anyone know how many people (% of those who submit primaries) are selected for an interview? And then, what % of those who interview are accepted?

I couldn't tell you the numbers exactly, ~270 matriculants in Erie, no idea about Seton Hill (~100?). I can say that a huge majority of people that interviewed in July/August were accepted, I'd guess >90%.

so I was processed the 12th of July which I guess really isn't that long ago but when I click on the requirements tab in admissions, it says that 3 credits of English haven't been completed yet...does anyone know if these credits have to be completed before an interview can be offered or denied?

I figured I would hear something back by now with a 3.43 cGPA 3.31 sGPA and 32 MCAT unless the English thing is holding up my application.

I have the same English credit requirement incomplete and received an interview... So you should be fine.

:thumbup:. Glad to hear of your interview invite, I've been pulling for you ever since the underdog thread. You should be in the second (or third?) interview group which means you should have a strong chance of being accepted. Just try not to stress, and think of one or two legitimate questions that you could ask in your interview group. If you have time leftover they will probably just have you guys ask a couple of questions.

Thanks Man! Ive been psyched since I got it. I will def. think of a few questions to ask. and as for the dress code. I kind of like the idea. were professionals. we should present ourselves as such.

GL this semester!

The time everyone took to answer varied. When I am nervous (and I was) I tend to talk faster than normal. So I got just as much information in as everyone else, but I took less time. I would say 2-3 minutes per answer was what most people were doing, though.

I am not sure what to tell you about a conflict with a teacher. There were questions that other people were asked that I would have had a difficult time answering the same way you would have time discussing a conflict with a teacher. I guess it is a sort of Russian Roulette with what question you get. I personally was asked to describe an accomplishment that I am particularly proud of and that helped to shape who I am today.

If I had never had a conflict with a teacher and they asked me to describe one, I would respectfully say that I was fortunate enough to never have run into that situation, but that I can describe a conflict with a boss/coworker/classmate/friend/someone. The people at LECOM seem really friendly and I would venture a guess that they would give you a little leeway.

Three more questions:
1) Are you saying that, besides telling something about yourself at the beginning and contributing to the group discussion at the end, each person only had one other question to answer?

2) Did each person get a different question?

3) Were people questioned in some kind of order or was it random?

I apologize for being silly about this; it's just that I've never been to an interview and have no idea what to expect.

Again, thanks for the help, and feel free to let me know when I'm being annoying. :p

Hi,

I've already applied here this app cycle. But, I am waiting until september to get my MCAT results back. My question is: when should I expect an invite? November? Thanks.

Three more questions:
1) Are you saying that, besides telling something about yourself at the beginning and contributing to the group discussion at the end, each person only had one other question to answer?

2) Did each person get a different question?

3) Were people questioned in some kind of order or was it random?

1) It went like this: Introductions->Single Question for Everyone->Group Discussion->Questions for the Staff.
So, yes, everyone was only directly asked one specific question when I interviewed.

2) MOSTLY everyone received a separate question. They did repeat a question or two at some point, or alter the original question somewhat then pass it to another person.
(However, when they discussed how the interview would go, they SAID that after our direct question, we would all be given an opportunity to answer anyone's question that we think we would have a good answer to. They never actually got to this, but I suppose it could happen for you. So even after you answer your question, listen to other people's questions and think about them in your own context, just in case.)

3) When we were all asked to introduce ourselves, they just started at one end of the table and proceeded clockwise until we made a lap. Once they started asking specific questions, they randomly jumped around (I was the first person questioned for my group, but in the middle of the table). Then group discussion and asking them questions were both a free-for-all.

I hope that all of this helps.

Hi,

I've already applied here this app cycle. But, I am waiting until september to get my MCAT results back. My question is: when should I expect an invite? November? Thanks.

This depends on your stats. If you have a 3.7gpa and a 37P MCAT, you will probably get one right quick. If you have a 3.0gpa and a 22N MCAT, you may be waiting quite a while. Of course EC's count too. It is really difficult to answer your question with what you have shared with us.

just check my status online, "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Hope that's good news O_O.

btw I interviewed in 7/29

anybody else here receive a recruiting email to LECOM the other day?

just check my status online, "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Hope that's good news O_O.

btw I interviewed in 7/29

Me too. Hope its good news too

anybody else here receive a recruiting email to LECOM the other day?

Yeah. I had a good laugh with my co-workers because several days after I interviewed they are e-mailing me telling me I should apply. Admittedly, the same e-mail is how I heard of the school last year to begin with.

Yeah. I had a good laugh with my co-workers because several days after I interviewed they are e-mailing me telling me I should apply. Admittedly, the same e-mail is how I heard of the school last year to begin with.
yea ive never even heard of LECOM til i got the email...was funny cuz they decided to split it to half come study DO and half come to LECOM

did your status change on lecom portal as well?

did your status change on lecom portal as well?

Yes. I went and checked my portal status after reading chizhang's post about his/hers. They have also made a decision on my application and now I get to wait by the mailbox every day and give the mailman dirty looks every time he doesn't bring my letter.

Anyone from the 7/29 interview date not have their admission status changed yet? Mine hasn't switched to show that a decision has been made :/ I'm kind of nervous about that...

Any more inputs on how your interviews went would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi all,

I was looking at the LOR requirements and saw that two science faculty letters and a DO are required (my university doesn't have a committee letter). Does anyone know how they classify science faculty? Is it just professors of biology, physics, and chemistry? I have letters from two biomedical engineering professors and one taught me in a class called Physiology for Engineers. I have called and emailed but haven't gotten a response. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to discussions about LECOM. Your posts are really helpful! In case this might be helpful for some people, I submitted my secondary on 7/7, file was complete on 7/20, and was invited for the 8/19 interview on 7/28. My stats are: overall 3.47; sci. 3.41, highest MCAT 28Q (VR 6, PS 12, BS 10).

Thanks for the sample interview questions and detailed agenda of the interview day! I have more questions, though:

How many interviewers are there? Who are they? The admission committee head and members and medical students?
Did any of them review your applications before the interview, or was it completely blind?
How did you answer questions like "Tell me about yourself?" Since it's very vague, where do you start? Do you talk about something NOT included in your application or re-illustrate some information in there?

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to discussions about LECOM. Your posts are really helpful! In case this might be helpful for some people, I submitted my secondary on 7/7, file was complete on 7/20, and was invited for the 8/19 interview on 7/28. My stats are: overall 3.47; sci. 3.41, highest MCAT 28Q (VR 6, PS 12, BS 10).

Thanks for the sample interview questions and detailed agenda of the interview day! I have more questions, though:

How many interviewers are there? Who are they? The admission committee head and members and medical students?
Did any of them review your applications before the interview, or was it completely blind?
How did you answer questions like "Tell me about yourself?" Since it's very vague, where do you start? Do you talk about something NOT included in your application or re-illustrate some information in there?

Thanks a bunch!

2 Interviewers per group and it'll depend on who you're matched up with. A general description of your interviewers would be the faculty/administration of LECOM which can range from PhDs to DOs to MDs to the upper echelon of the administration.

Closed file interview, they know nothing about you except for what you tell them.

You begin that "vague" question however you wish. They really do want you to tell them a bit about yourself since they know nothing and how you approach that question should be unique as every person has their own special story. It's another way for them to know about your personality and more about you.

2 Interviewers per group and it'll depend on who you're matched up with. A general description of your interviewers would be the faculty/administration of LECOM which can range from PhDs to DOs to MDs to the upper echelon of the administration.

Closed file interview, they know nothing about you except for what you tell them.

You begin that "vague" question however you wish. They really do want you to tell them a bit about yourself since they know nothing and how you approach that question should be unique as every person has their own special story. It's another way for them to know about your personality and more about you.

Thanks jslo85!