LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not me...still waiting

Me too, this is getting frustrating! tomorrow will be two weeks since the interview.. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure one speaker said we would find out within two weeks? ...getting nervous :/

Members don't see this ad.

How long were you guys complete before offered an interview?
I was complete ~8/3, offered an interview today. So, less than 2 weeks for me, and I don't have great GPA/MCAT numbers... but I do have good ECs...

Just rescheduled my interview from 8/19 to 10/7! I am out of the country right now, but I am really psyched about this one! Go neighboring state! I am excited!
Who else is on 10/7?

Meeee! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations :D What were ur stats? Any advice about the interview for us next in line ;)

3.4 gpa's and 31 mcat (instate)

I'd say just try not to stress too much. I was worried because I didn't say anything substantial about universal health care when it came up in my group interview. Just make sure you say enough overall that they can see what type of person you are. Of course its great to talk more lol but if you can't get a word in about everything, don't sweat it.

Also listen well during the introductions to the learning pathways before the interviews (of course you should anyways if you want to go there) as it can provide you with a lot of material to ask about when they ask you for questions during the interview. Plus it's always nicer to have your questions answered in smaller groups than when you're with everyone in the auditorium.

Well, my letter came today, but I have 4.5 hours left at work before I get to go home and open it. Hopefully a bunch of other people got their's today too.

Well, my letter came today, but I have 4.5 hours left at work before I get to go home and open it. Hopefully a bunch of other people got their's today too.

Lucky! Best of luck, I'm sure it is good news! I'm all the way in jersey, so I'm doubtful that mine will come today.. Maybe tomorrow! Ah!

ACCEPTED!! LECOM Class of 2016! Going out of my mind, this is unreal

Accepted to LECOM class of 2016 for LDP!

For those who want to know:
SCI 3.33 - NSCI 3.41 - CUM 3.37
28O the first MCAT and 26N the second.
Lots of EC's, mostly hospital volunteering and a decade of martial arts.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats I was rooting for you to get in. I mean you gave so much useful info and sooo helpful that you just can't help but say .... YAY! :D

Way to go :thumbup:

aww that's awesome. I feel good for you guys! Congrats!

Anyone interviewing for Sept 9th get a second email yet? The first email I received with the invite said that I would get a second one with instructions after I scheduled my interview.

Accepted for LDP also!! Pheww!!!!!!!!!!!!! crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

NICE JOB GUYS! you guys must be goin CRAZY:laugh:

Congratulations guys, look forward to seeing you all on campus next year. If there are any questions that I can answer as a current student, feel free to PM me.

Good luck to everyone else

For those who have been accepted already:

How long do you have until you have to turn in your deposit?
I've been looking at last year's thread, and it looks like they had a month to submit it; is that the case this year?

I've been looking at last year's thread, and it looks like they had a month to submit it; is that the case this year?

I thought if you get accepted before october, you get until Dec 15th to make the decision?

I received my letter on the 12th of August and have until the 13th of September for my deposit to be received. Basically, they give you a month.

LastPolarBear, if you interview now, they give you the option to defer your decision until December 15th. That means they put your file in a folder and don't even look at it until then. MOST schools do give you until December 15th, but LECOM does it differently.

I received my letter on the 12th of August and have until the 13th of September for my deposit to be received. Basically, they give you a month.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how strict LECOM is about this whole "send in your LORs before your interview" deal? One of my profs is out of town, so that letter will probably get to LECOM a week or two later...

I couldn't tell you the numbers exactly, ~270 matriculants in Erie, no idea about Seton Hill (~100?). I can say that a huge majority of people that interviewed in July/August were accepted, I'd guess >90%.

There was an article on LECOM's web site that said 104 students were matriculating at SH this year. However, every time we get test scores back it says that there were 101 test takers. But, yes, about 100 down here at SH.

Congrats on all the early acceptances!

BTW, did they give you stats on this year's entering class at the interview (avg GPA, MCAT, etc)? I'd be really curious to know this since we haven't been told this stuff.

BTW, did they give you stats on this year's entering class at the interview (avg GPA, MCAT, etc)? I'd be really curious to know this since we haven't been told this stuff.
I remember the average MCAT being a 27 for this year's entering class. The GPA was something around a 3.4 I want to say, but I don't remember that number exactly. They were mentioning that their numbers were coming up to the average for DO schools around the country.

LECOM sent me an email saying they received my supplemental and that my application is under review. But it says that I have 3 credits defeciency in my behavioral science category. Will they still review my file or wait until I take the class?

LECOM sent me an email saying they received my supplemental and that my application is under review. But it says that I have 3 credits defeciency in my behavioral science category. Will they still review my file or wait until I take the class?

They will review your file. I'm missing 3 credits in Bio and I got an interview at Erie. You just need to complete the credits before matriculation.

I remember the average MCAT being a 27 for this year's entering class. The GPA was something around a 3.4 I want to say, but I don't remember that number exactly. They were mentioning that their numbers were coming up to the average for DO schools around the country.

Thanks! Yeah, DO is getting more competitive every year.

Anyone here interviewing tomorrow morning? Where is everyone staying?

Hey guys,

So after doing a little thinking and talking to current LECOM-E students, I'm starting to feel like PBL isn't the pathway for me... I ranked it first and was accepted into it, but I think LDP might be a better fit for me.. I'm a very structured kind of student, and am afraid that I might get lost and fall behind in the independence of PBL.. I emailed an admissions counselor at LECOM-E about switching. What do you think my chances are of being able to easily switch to LDP since it is so early in the admissions cycle? If I have to stay with PBL, I'll do my best to adapt. But I'd feel way more comfortable with the thought of entering a traditional approach to the medical school curriculum. I picked PBL in the first place because it sounded exciting and interesting, but I feel like medical school is a bad place to try out a new learning method.. what do you all think about the chances of switching to LDP from PBL?

To the people who have interviewed: Did you stay at the hotels that give you a discount? and if so did you rent a car or did the shuttle take you to the school as well as the airport? I am wondering about travel arrangements... Any pointers would be great!

Interview on 11-10-201:cool:

What happened to October? lol

:thumbup: Nice man! I've been following your posts for some time now (yeah, I know a bit stalkerish, but I always look out for fellow Jersey peeps!) and I'm stoked for you bro. Own it!

Haha thanx man. I'm pretty excited about it. I can't believe its tommorow.

Jersey peeps gotta represent lol

Just an fyi. I'm staying with my wife at the comfort in. Got here about half an hour ago so I'm gonna hit the hay. thanks again for everyones support. Ill let you guys know how it went manyana

Hey guys,

So after doing a little thinking and talking to current LECOM-E students, I'm starting to feel like PBL isn't the pathway for me... I ranked it first and was accepted into it, but I think LDP might be a better fit for me.. I'm a very structured kind of student, and am afraid that I might get lost and fall behind in the independence of PBL.. I emailed an admissions counselor at LECOM-E about switching. What do you think my chances are of being able to easily switch to LDP since it is so early in the admissions cycle? If I have to stay with PBL, I'll do my best to adapt. But I'd feel way more comfortable with the thought of entering a traditional approach to the medical school curriculum. I picked PBL in the first place because it sounded exciting and interesting, but I feel like medical school is a bad place to try out a new learning method.. what do you all think about the chances of switching to LDP from PBL?

I doubt that you will have much trouble at all switching this early in the cycle. The student that I talked to at my interview said that it is much easier to switch PBL -> LDP than the other way around due to the relative number of positions in each pathway.

Just spent the last two hours at northeaster veterinary hospital with my dog. She possibly herniated a disc in her back, can no longer walk and can't tell where her limbs are. All in one day. She had a tiny limp this mourning. And now while I'm just hours away from my med school interview, I'm up at four in the mourning trying to decide what to do if my dogs pain does not subside after two shots of morphine. The vet said if we can't afford surgery (I can't) then we have to consider euthanasia. I'm so heartbroken right now. My little frenchie. She is only three and a half. Can't believe this and its happening so fast. I really hope her pain stops so we can think of other options.

Dude, so SO SO sorry!!! I hope that the dog is able to get comfortable, and I hope you can find a way to fix her... Before you would put her down, please ask friends and family for help paying for the surgery... putting a 3.5yr old dog down would be tragic... they are your friends and family, it can't hurt to ask... tell them it's a loan for a few years until you can pay them back when you're a doctor ;) seriously, this is a time for humility, ask... best of luck to you today, and I hope everything turns out well!

Hey guys,

It will be extremely easy. Everyone accepted has a seat for LDP. There are only waiting lists for switching FROM LDP to PBL and ISP, you wouldn't have any problem switching into LDP.

Does the Erie campus also offer PBL or is that only at Seton Hill?

Interviewing 10/14!! So unbelievably excited. LECOM looks awesome

Hey Guys,

So my application status at Erie has been "under review" for five weeks now. I got an invite at Bradenton very quickly but still no word from Erie. I then decided today to check on my required letters and credits, and my D.O. letter and science letter are all tagged with red x's to indicate that they were not yet received. I'm pretty confused about this because my letters were delivered electronically via interfolio on 6/28 and I thought my application would not be under review unless I was complete. I can't seem to contact anyone in the admissions office about this matter. Anyone experience anything similar or able to shed light on this? Thanks!

Hey Guys,

So my application status at Erie has been "under review" for five weeks now. I got an invite at Bradenton very quickly but still no word from Erie. I then decided today to check on my required letters and credits, and my D.O. letter and science letter are all tagged with red x's to indicate that they were not yet received. I'm pretty confused about this because my letters were delivered electronically via interfolio on 6/28 and I thought my application would not be under review unless I was complete. I can't seem to contact anyone in the admissions office about this matter. Anyone experience anything similar or able to shed light on this? Thanks!
it says u dont need to send letters of rec unless u get an interview

Hey Guys,

Yes, mine has been under review for just as long and I cannot ever seem to get anyone to answer the phone there. What makes it even harder is I am on the West Coast, so I have less business hours to call them unless I decide to get up at 5am. ugh. *frustrating*

Hey Guys,

I'm just the opposite. Got an invite at Erie really quick, still "we received your secondary" at Bradenton. You don't need to submit letters until you get an invite. Just a waiting game.

Hey guys I just had the lecom interview today and thought i'd give some feedback. they said we were the 2nd interview wave and that right now it'll be easy to get the pathway you want. The person said it gets a little bit tighter around January so don't stress.

Day went as this: Presentation on curriculum and diff pathways, then interview, then presentation on financial aid, then tour, then lunch with medical students.

Interview questions were straight from the 9 standard questions. My group had 8 people including myself and 2 interviewers. They first asked us to tell them about ourselves and to include in it why we want to be an osteopathic physician and why medicine. Then we each got asked an individual question. They repeated them and these were the ones that were asked in no particular order:

1. Where do you see yourself in 10-20 years and how would you use osteopathic education in it?
2. Name a difficult situation and how you overcame it.
3. What was a difficult time with a professor and what you did.
4. Say a story about an inspirational, positive professor.
5. What is your proudest accomplishment?

Then we were supposed to have a group discussion, but time ran out and we just skipped to asking them questions.

If anyone was there, I was in group C and we re-located two times! haha

Good luck to future interviewees! Don't stress too much; it's fairly laidback as everyone has said before.