LECOM Primary Care Scholar Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsianPersuasion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found some previous threads that were pretty old.

I just want to know if anyone has any first or second hand experience regarding this program and how competitive it is.

I'm very certain that I want to go into either FM or IM. I have no desire for anything surgical related. This is coming from experience of working as a CNA in Neuro ICU, SICU and MICU for the past 4 years. Long story short, I want to be a community PCP or doing hospital medicine.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get into LECOM, you can get into this pathway. There are fewer people than you might expect who are willing to actually COMMIT to primary care. A lot of people want to talk about it, but also want to keep their options open. So, if you really want it, it is certainly worth the try. It is a small program, which probably explains why you haven't gotten a lot of responses. They reserve only 12 or so seats for it a year.

Be SURE that you really want to do FM or IM. They really don't want anyone who decides, half way through, that they have a burning passion to specialize. LECOM faculty have put a lot of thought and work into this program, and they don't want people using it as a 3 year pathway just to save the money/time and then reneging on the commitment to fulfill the whole purpose of the program.

I wasn't too sure about whether I wanted to do it. I thought that 4 years would maybe be better, more relaxed or something. But now that I am here and see what it is all about... I thank my lucky stars that I'm where I am. I've only just started, and maybe my opinion will change, but I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm STILL happy to be in PCSP
Well... it has been a few months, and I have more insight to share now regarding PCSP. I'm starting to get a few private messages from people inquiring about it, and I welcome those still. Please, always, if there is anyway that I can be helpful to others, I'm very glad to do what I can. (Within the limits of my crazy schedule, of course. And I sometimes disappear from the site for a week or two at a time, so if it is time sensitive and I don't get back quickly, I'm really sorry.)

In the process of writing one of those responses, I realized that I had thoughts that were generally shareable and might benefit others who are considering PCSP. Despite a few bumps in the road, I am still extremely grateful to have found myself in this program. There are frustrations in any medical school experience, and there are times when I have wondered if I might not have been better off in one of the other paths. But then I stop and consider the substantial benefits of being where I am and I shake off any distress I might have been feeling. I'm going to do this in manageable chunks, so as not to completely overwhelm the page with my wall of text. I'm also going to get crafty and put in a few headings to make it easier to find what you may be looking for. This is all about procrastinating on my reading for the day.

Is a 3 year program long enough? Do you learn less?

As for fears that a 3 year education is somehow lesser than a 4 year... We don't learn any less than our peers. PCSP follows the DSP model for the most part, in that we work through modules that cover the basic sciences and systems right along with them. The only difference is that we have a handful of extra sessions, at a rate of about 1 per month, beginning in the late fall 1st year, where we spend an afternoon in various physicians' offices. This isn't so much about getting clinical experience as it is about allowing the physicians to get to know us and vice versa. These doctors will each choose one of us to mentor throughout our clinical education, so that ends up being a major benefit to PCSP students, as it gives us one more advocate to turn to when it comes time to seek residencies.

Where does the time go? What about clinical education / audition rotations?

The year we skip is made up out of summer vacation time and elective rotations, with very limited time off. We do 20 months of didactics and 16 rotations instead of 24. That means fewer audition rotations, but not zero. The first FM rotation can be done anywhere, even someplace that is not affiliated with LECOM, so long as the doctor who precepts it is a DO, so that serves as one audition opportunity. And other rotations down the line can be arranged at particular institutions, if the student is willing to do a bit of their own legwork to get everything set up. If you are like me and don't want to bother with that, there are PLENTY of opportunities to do rotations at affiliate institutions around the region and around the nation, and the clinical education department has already done the work so that it is just a matter of picking from the list when it becomes available.

Back to basics - How many seats are available?

Our year had 12 seats available. 11 filled. I'm not sure what happened to the 1, whether that person transferred to another program before matriculation, or what. Also, just after starting, 1 person transferred to another pathway due to financial reasons. (That person's funding source was an HPSP scholarship, which is incompatible with PCSP because the military will not absolutely guarantee choice of specialty. Therefore, it is not possible to make a firm commitment to primary care.)

Some funding sources don't work with PCSP!

I say it again, because it matters. PCSP requires that the student be making a firm commitment to go into primary care, either FM or IM. (Peds used to be part of it, but was not an option for my year. If that is a hold up for you, inquire directly of the school, as there was at least one historical PCSP grad who went into Peds, I think.) If your funding source (scholarship program, grant, parent, etc.) is giving you money with the contingency that you choose a specialty other than IM or FM... or if they will have the power to force you into a specialty of their choosing at some later date (military) then you can't sincerely commit to the intending outcome of the pathway and so should choose a different one.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What if you are really, really sure you want to do primary care, and you change your mind? What is the worst that can happen?
In order to be in the Primary Care Scholars Pathway, you sign a contract saying that you absolutely will go into a primary care specialty, currently defined as Family Medicine or Internal Medicine. That is the consideration that you are giving in exchange for the benefits of the pathway. You are affirming that you will complete an FM or IM residency and work as an attending primary care physician for the first 5 years after completing that residency. There are a couple of fellowships that you can do in between if you really want to, and you can certainly do some locums / moonlighting work as a hospitalist or EM doc during that time, as long as you fulfill your obligation to practice primary care as the main part of your professional practice throughout that time period.

In the worst case scenario, if you did commit to PCSP, with the *sincere* intent to go primary care all the way... and then realized along the way that you really wanted to specialize... you could pay LECOM the tuition that you skipped out on and go fulfill your heart's desire. You'd be no worse off than someone else who went for 4 years and followed the same course... indeed, you'd still be a year ahead of that person, and that means one more year of earning attending level salary in your chosen specialty. So, an honest change of heart doesn't really penalize you in the long run. If someone were intending to ruthlessly default on the agreement... well, there is really nothing stopping them from doing so and still benefiting from the 3 year program. Except the lack of integrity that it would display.

So, I would hate to see someone whose heart really is with primary care be turned away by overestimating the magnitude of the penalty for changing one's mind. What I would hope, what I would intend to do, if I somehow radically changed my mind, is to fulfill the commitment, work in primary care for the required five years, and then go back and do whatever fellowships or even additional residencies that would be needed to specialize at that point.

Is it even possible to change specialties after the first five years in practice? I think I want to primary care now, but I don't want to limit myself too early/get stuck in something that I don't want to do forever.

If after fulfilling the contract, a doctor did want to change specialties, that isn't off the table. I've met several physicians who were attendings when they decided that they wanted to go back and train some more to do something else. It isn't actually as hard to arrange as it sounds, and if you are smart about keeping your debt low, you have a lot more mobility in your career than you might imagine.

But the hope of all those involved in the Primary Care Scholars Program is that the student doctors who choose this pathway will be passionate about primary care... that, especially as they progress and see the enormous scope and opportunities available to primary care physicians, that they wouldn't dream of limiting themselves by selecting a different specialty.

That is certainly my feeling. Family Med docs can do procedures, surgeries, OB/Gyn, emergency, etc. No, they aren't going to be doing open heart, and the more urban the setting, the less likely they will be to get to do every single thing that is within their scope. But Family Med gives me the largest canvas for designing my own practice, to fill it with the particulars that matter most to me... while giving me the most opportunity to change my mind and do something different down the road, without having to change specialties. I am already planning my ideal clinic (idealmedicalcare.org to read more about my inspiration, Dr. Wible,) and the plan doesn't include being beholden to corporations that have done so much to turn the art of medicine into a factory assembly line.

Commitments matter.
The success of the 3 year pathway and the possibility of more, similarly innovative programs opening up additional seats depends on having the students in the pathway live up to their side of the bargain. The pathway's purpose isn't to give just anyone a way to get through med school a year faster and cheaper... it is to produce more dedicated primary care doctors. Being one of those doctors who successfully completes the program makes the program itself more well-known, more effective in completing its goals. This is an important aspect of joining a profession... your behavior, your integrity, reflects on others. You are becoming part of something larger than you and your individual career, and that begins as early as matriculation. You begin to form a relationship with your school where your performance reflects on them, just as their reputation reflects upon you. Doing everything possible to improve the quality of that interrelationship, including fulfilling obligations and supporting fellow / future students, is simply enlightened self-interest.

I've heard that LECOM has a lot of really strict rules.
As with everything at LECOM... there aren't really any surprises. They tell you up front what is expected of you and what you can expect. But there always seem to be people who either didn't listen or didn't believe when they were told those things. It doesn't make sense to me to get too upset when the school does as it said it would do. Even when I've found myself called on the carpet for falling short of expectations, I have to admit that I'd been told in advance what those were and what consequences to expect for not meeting them. That is actually somewhat comforting.

LECOM has rules, and they enforce them fairly and consistently. It is actually a lot easier to work in an environment like this than in many settings I've been in where people in power play favorites and let some people bend rules more than others. That isn't to say that there is no mercy. Just that they treat you, from day one, like the professional that you are seeking to become, by expecting you to rise to the occasion.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you sooooo much for posting this!!! I literally just saw this a min a go! I am definitely interested in IM. My main concern like before was competitiveness and how residency PD view 3 years programs etc. I am definitely going to look further into this. Do you know if LECOM-B has this program too? Thank you so much!

Edit: Just saw that it's only available in Erie.

@Promethean I think I'm a little confused with this sentence "A sub-internship introduces students to the hospitals where they will continue their clinical training after graduation." Does this mean there's a specific hospital we need to do our residency at after we graduate?? Meaning, do we have freedom to select where we may want to match from ERAS list?

Also, looking at the cirriculum, when does one take the COMLEX I & II? And are there time dedicated to preparing for it?

No, there isn't a specific hospital where you must do your residency. They encourage you to seek whatever residencies you may desire (in FM or IM) and to rank them however you'd like. After you have matched into your residency, arrangements are made for you to do your sub-internship there. I can't imagine a site denying its incoming resident an opportunity to do a sub-I, but if it did happen, alternative arrangements would be made.

There is scheduled board review time built in. Comlex I is taken in late spring of the 2nd year, after we have started clinical rotations. We do the first FM rotation, which can be done anywhere in the country, so long as the preceptor you choose is a DO. So, if you have a specific institution you'd like to spend some time at, that is an opportunity to go there, even if it isn't at all affiliated with LECOM.

Then there is the first IM rotation, which will be done at a LECOM affiliated site. I just chose mine and the list of options is actually pretty wide and included options throughout NY, OH, PA, and further afield. My apologies, but I wanted to stay nearby, so I didn't really pay any attention to the location of the more distant sites. We have to chose that one so early because we are choosing along with our MS-2 colleagues who are picking their rotation sites. (Actually, I think we get first go at them, which is why there is such a rush to sort us out, so that they know what they have to work with for the larger class.)

Finally, the third rotation is a 4 week Clinical Overview, which includes a formal board prep course w/ practice exams. So yes, there is time and support for Comlex I study. Our advisor is very involved with NBOME, which is a gift. It isn't like he can tell us any secrets that he wouldn't make available to anyone else, but you can be assured that the information that he does share regarding COMLEX is accurate and well informed.

During the 9th and 10th rotations, which are Psych and OMM, there is a Comprehensive Review component built in. This represents 1/2 of two rotations dedicated to COMLEX 2 study. It looks like COMLEX 2 is taken in December of the third year. (The PE can be taken in Nov, though.)

Thus, COMLEX 2 board scores will not be available while we are interviewing for residencies. The school provides a letter to the program directors explaining why these scores are forthcoming. COMLEX 1 scores are available, however, and our advisor says that this hasn't been a significant hurdle for previous years' PCSP students. My understanding is that we usually get our 1st, sometimes our 2nd ranked residencies.

The school is actively developing additional career counselling and residency prep services. They are opening these up to current students over the next few weeks to months, and they should be in full swing by the time you get here. From my understanding, the goal is to help students as do what they need to do in order to be as competitive as possible for the residencies that they are interested in. They really do want us to succeed. We are the basis for their reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Then there is the first IM rotation, which will be done at a LECOM affiliated site. I just chose mine and the list of options is actually pretty wide and included options throughout NY, OH, PA, and further afield. My apologies, but I wanted to stay nearby, so I didn't really pay any attention to the location of the more distant sites. We have to chose that one so early because we are choosing along with our MS-2 colleagues who are picking their rotation sites. (Actually, I think we get first go at them, which is why there is such a rush to sort us out, so that they know what they have to work with for the larger class.)

I'm just curious because I'm at another pathway/campus. When did you guys pick rotation sites? Current OMS-2s got assigned ours in October or so of 2015, and I imagine Class of 2019 will do theirs this coming fall, so I believe you but I was surprised to hear you "just" chose yours.

I just wanted to add as far as sites go-- if anybody wants to just stay in Erie for rotations, that should be relatively easy (it's not as popular in the "general population" as bigger cities like Pittsburgh and Philly, so I'm assume that's at least similar in the PCSP crew.)

Might be a stupid questions, but are PCSP students only allowed to take the COMLEX and complete a DO residency?

Might be a stupid questions, but are PCSP students only allowed to take the COMLEX and complete a DO residency?

Not a stupid question.

There is no limitation on whether you take USMLE in addition to COMLEX. You are welcome to do so. PCSP, like all DO students, must take COMLEX for licensure. Opinions among our faculty differ on whether USMLE Step I at least should be taken in addition. Some favor doing so absolutely, in order to open as many doors as possible and to assist PDs who may be less familiar with COMLEX scores. Others say that it is an unnecessary expense.

I personally intend to take the exam. I like tests. I like objective measures, for my own information, if for no other reason. I'd like to be able to see my scores and to use that data for my own purposes.

As for residencies... My contract for PCSP included language about the requirement to apply to osteopathic residencies... however, as I will be graduating in 2018, there will not be any 3 year IM or FM AOA accredited residencies to which I could apply. Those will have been phased out by then. I was told that it was an oversight that such language was not removed from our contracts. It doesn't worry me. As I've said, the school wants to see us succeed. It wants to see us get residencies and fulfill the mission of the pathway, to become a cohort of enthusiastic and well-trained primary care physicians. They will not graduate us into a vacuum.

I do think that the school would prefer that we enter residencies where our OMM skills will be further honed, rather than forgotten, and would encourage us to take that into consideration as we seek our post graduate training locations. And I certainly intend to do that, as I've personally experienced dramatic pain relief from osteopathic manipulation, and I'd like to have that tool in my kit. But post merger, residencies are residencies, from what I can see.

I'm just curious because I'm at another pathway/campus. When did you guys pick rotation sites? Current OMS-2s got assigned ours in October or so of 2015, and I imagine Class of 2019 will do theirs this coming fall, so I believe you but I was surprised to hear you "just" chose yours.

I just wanted to add as far as sites go-- if anybody wants to just stay in Erie for rotations, that should be relatively easy (it's not as popular in the "general population" as bigger cities like Pittsburgh and Philly, so I'm assume that's at least similar in the PCSP crew.)

We were supposed to have picked some months ago, but there was some delay in the process and we actually picked over winter break. We were only selecting a single rotation site, rotation #2, the first of the IM rotations. We pick that in our first year because we start rotations around March of MS-II. The first site is an FM rotation that can be done anywhere, the second is this IM rotation we just picked, and the 3rd is board review... that rounds out our 2nd year, and so then when we pick the next year's rotations, we are back on cycle with everyone else who is choosing.

So, basically, we pick this one so early so that they know what spots they have available for people who pick at a more reasonable time. It is wonky. There are a lot of little confusions like that with our program, things that are just slightly off kilter from what everyone else is doing. Those are things that make some people get stressed out, but if you see the reasoning behind it and that it is all part of what makes it possible for us to get this done in 3 years, then it is easier to just roll with it.

As for where to go... Pittsburgh is really popular and there is some competition for those spots... I imagine because y'all folks at Seton Hill like them, too. And there are a lot of us here in Erie who are from/have homes in Pittsburgh. So that is appealing. I might look to go to Pittsburgh for a rotation or two, myself, even. I did want to give Millcreek a good look over, though, so I decided to do that first IM here. If you do a residency within LECOM Health, you get free tuition for a master's degree program in med ed. I think my significant others might get a bit testy with me if I arrange to spend 3 extra years here in the frozen North, but free educational opportunities are worth a bit of extra trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Promethean That makes sense, thanks for the information!

Agreed-- Pittsburgh was by far the most popular spot in our class. Partly for people with roots in the area, but also for people with significant others who need the job opportunities (a lot of the spots we have to choose from are pretty rural, which isn't a bad thing for medical training, but isn't so great for people who need work outside of a hospital). I've actually heard good things from friends doing rotations at MCH, though, so I think it's underrated thanks to being in the frozen north-- I would have ranked it if not for spousal job considerations.

I too am in the PCSP program right now and am willing to answer questions as well. However, I seconds most everything Promethean has said above regarding, when is it wise to consider the program and when it is not wise to do so.

Do students in the program participate in the rotation site lottery with the other pathways or do they get to choose what sites they want do their rotation in? Or do students in the program have to do all their rotations in Erie?

Do students in the program participate in the rotation site lottery with the other pathways or do they get to choose what sites they want do their rotation in? Or do students in the program have to do all their rotations in Erie?

We definitely don't have to do all of our rotations in Erie. I'm choosing to, for the most part, because I need that simplicity in my life.

I don't know that anyone is stuck with a pure lottery system. You get to express preferences and there is an attempt made to accommodate everyone. You may not get everything you want most, but at least you end up with an alternate choice. I've only had to pick one rotation site so far, and for that, the 10 of us were presented with a wide range of options. We could select a first and second choice, but we worked it out among ourselves so that people who really wanted to go to a site that only had one or two seats got that, while those of us who were less picky chose from among the rest.

When I get around to picking more seats, I will report on that... and if I can tag one of our MS-IIs or IIIs to give me the skinny on how it worked for them, I'll let you know that. But understand that things like this are always subject to change. Even if they do it one way for us, it doesn't mean that it won't be different by the time you get there.

The school really seems to appreciate the importance of getting certain rotations where you want them to be, and they do try to work with you. In general though, I find that the more accommodating and cooperative students are, the better outcomes they get with regard to these matters.

Reactions: 1 users
@Promethean Is there an option where you apply for the program, doesn't get accepted and get placed to the general pool of app where they consider you for the regular 4 years? Does the system work that way?

@Promethean Is there an option where you apply for the program, doesn't get accepted and get placed to the general pool of app where they consider you for the regular 4 years? Does the system work that way?

I don't know of anything like that. My understanding is that you are accepted to LECOM, and then if you have expressed a preference for PCSP, you may get a seat. Otherwise you would be offered a spot in another pathway. Admission is to LECOM, the various pathways are secondary options. If you aren't admitted to LECOM, then you are free to apply again in the future, but I don't know of any special application status that would get you.

I have pondered what happens if PCSP fills up and someone else wants in...

We have several PA students in the pathway this year. There is a separate 3 year pathway available for PA students. I imagine that if there were more people clamoring to get into PCSP than seats, then they would divert the PAs into the PA pathway. Understand this is all pure speculation, and that I have no official info about how things go behind the scenes.

I don't think that there are people fighting one another for PCSP seats, because most medical students are aware of the substantial commitment involved and know that they aren't ready to commit to a specialty prior to even beginning school. That is a good reason to go to one of the other pathways, to have the extra year and the option to sort out what you want to do in your career. The pool of people who know from the jump that they want to do FM or IM is much smaller, so that automatically reduces the competition for the seats somewhat.

I don't know of anything like that. My understanding is that you are accepted to LECOM, and then if you have expressed a preference for PCSP, you may get a seat. Otherwise you would be offered a spot in another pathway. Admission is to LECOM, the various pathways are secondary options. If you aren't admitted to LECOM, then you are free to apply again in the future, but I don't know of any special application status that would get you.

I have pondered what happens if PCSP fills up and someone else wants in...

We have several PA students in the pathway this year. There is a separate 3 year pathway available for PA students. I imagine that if there were more people clamoring to get into PCSP than seats, then they would divert the PAs into the PA pathway. Understand this is all pure speculation, and that I have no official info about how things go behind the scenes.

I don't think that there are people fighting one another for PCSP seats, because most medical students are aware of the substantial commitment involved and know that they aren't ready to commit to a specialty prior to even beginning school. That is a good reason to go to one of the other pathways, to have the extra year and the option to sort out what you want to do in your career. The pool of people who know from the jump that they want to do FM or IM is much smaller, so that automatically reduces the competition for the seats somewhat.

OK, I see. I didn't know the pathway is secondary thing, I thought one designate that on their application and if they're not accepted, they would get rejected or deferred to the general pool or something. I am really serious about this program and desire to go into IM. Do you happen to know if they look for some specific experience and that indicates the student's understanding of the field and genuinely want to pursue IM or FM? The only experience I have is working in multiple department in the field as a CNA which opens my eyes to the fact that I prefer outpatient setting than the hospital.

OK, I see. I didn't know the pathway is secondary thing, I thought one designate that on their application and if they're not accepted, they would get rejected or deferred to the general pool or something. I am really serious about this program and desire to go into IM. Do you happen to know if they look for some specific experience and that indicates the student's understanding of the field and genuinely want to pursue IM or FM? The only experience I have is working in multiple department in the field as a CNA which opens my eyes to the fact that I prefer outpatient setting than the hospital.

Worry more about getting in, period. I'm pretty sure that if you get accepted, you have an extremely high likelihood of getting your pathway preference. Experience seems less important to this than commitment. A lot of people seem *interested* in the pathway, but aren't willing to sign on the line. If you are, then you will almost certainly get it. We had one open seat this year, and someone else had to switch out due to a funding issue, so while there are 12 possible seats in PCSP, there are only 10 of us in this cohort.

That doesn't mean that it won't be more competitive in the future, especially as more people find out about it. That also doesn't mean that those were 2 seats in the over all class that weren't filled. I'd guess that LDP or some other pathway ended up with 1 or 2 more than they'd budgeted for. Again, though, I am talking speculation. I don't know how they make the magic happen in admissions / student affairs. I just know that they are very good at it.

Thanks @Promethean !! Do you have to do your residency in PA? I read on the site and saw, "A sub-internship introduces students to the hospitals where they will continue their clinical training after graduation."

I got my acceptance letter a few days ago and I chose PCSP and I am in! So excited! Then I found this post, even though it was posted back in 2016, I assume nothing much has changed?! Everything Promethean said still stands? Because during the interview, I was concerned about this pathway because I’m afraid I will be extra loaded with works and classes and clinical. Anyway, after reading this post, I feel a lot better. I am going to make my deposit today, and I know $2K is not a lot of money compare to our med school tuition but for now, 2K is a lot to me. I just want to be extra cautious about it. Anyway, thank you everyone for posting your response here, especially Promethean! :thumbup:

I got my acceptance letter a few days ago and I chose PCSP and I am in! So excited! Then I found this post, even though it was posted back in 2016, I assume nothing much has changed?! Everything Promethean said still stands? Because during the interview, I was concerned about this pathway because I’m afraid I will be extra loaded with works and classes and clinical. Anyway, after reading this post, I feel a lot better. I am going to make my deposit today, and I know $2K is not a lot of money compare to our med school tuition but for now, 2K is a lot to me. I just want to be extra cautious about it. Anyway, thank you everyone for posting your response here, especially Promethean! :thumbup:

Hi! and congratulations!

I'm still around for now, getting ready to graduate in 7 weeks. (eep!)

PCSP is still one of the best things about LECOM in my opinion. It isn't easy, and there are times that it was super frustrating... but every time I started to lose patience, I'd just think back and realize that I was going to be done in just 3 years and then I'd put my head down and keep moving forward.

Those 3 years go really fast!

My best advice to you is to bond with your cohort and help one another in any way possible. You have so much hard work ahead of you, and it is made a lot easier with the help and support of good friends. You will be spending many hours alone with books and videos and notes... so having some time to study along with friends makes for a much less lonely adventure.

Hi! and congratulations!

I'm still around for now, getting ready to graduate in 7 weeks. (eep!)

PCSP is still one of the best things about LECOM in my opinion. It isn't easy, and there are times that it was super frustrating... but every time I started to lose patience, I'd just think back and realize that I was going to be done in just 3 years and then I'd put my head down and keep moving forward.

Those 3 years go really fast!

My best advice to you is to bond with your cohort and help one another in any way possible. You have so much hard work ahead of you, and it is made a lot easier with the help and support of good friends. You will be spending many hours alone with books and videos and notes... so having some time to study along with friends makes for a much less lonely adventure.

Thank you Promethean for the advice. After reading your post, I am looking forward to this program now! Keep in touch pleaseyou are such a kind person, spending so much time just to help a future student. For that, I truly appreciate it!

Thank you so much for all the detailed information @Promethean

I wanted to ask you if there will be any difference in the program after the residency merger?

Is the tuition for the PCSP the same as the other pathway? Is there extra tuition during the summer months there are classes?

Thank you so much for all the detailed information @Promethean

I wanted to ask you if there will be any difference in the program after the residency merger?

Is the tuition for the PCSP the same as the other pathway? Is there extra tuition during the summer months there are classes?

Good questions!

There isn't extra tuition for the summer months you do that first year. The tuition is essentially the same the whole way through. You just get charged one less year of it that everyone else. The school considers that to be a scholarship that they grant to you, since you still end up as a "Fourth Year" for the second half of your third year of medical school. The price of that scholarship is fulfilling the agreement you make, to work for at least 5 years after residency as a primary care physician.

I don't anticipate any significant difference in the program. Some people in my year applied through the AOA match, others went through the ACGME match.

I chose to do the AOA match only, and when I failed to match, I scrambled very well into an excellent program which I am very happy to be at right now. I had the option to participate in the ACGME match as well, but I wanted an answer ASAP, and I had one a few minutes after Noon on Match Day.

The program used to insist that you do an AOA / traditionally DO residency. Post-merger, that isn't really a thing, and as I indicate above, it already wasn't something they pushed even for my year, when both flavors of residency were still available. If anything, present and future classes will have fewer restrictions on potential residency programs than the earliest PCSP classes had.

The biggest thing is that it is all about making more primary care doctors, and in this context, primary care means Family Medicine and Internal Medicine. Some people have managed to negotiate their way into a combined program like FM/Psych (or was it IM/Psych?) or to aim for Pediatrics... but really, if you think that you want ANYTHING besides FM or IM, you should probably pick a different pathway. It is so much harder to try to shoehorn something else into the constraints of PCSP's advanced timeline... don't do that to yourself. If you want FM or IM and you know that is what you want and aren't going to change your mind... go for it. Otherwise, keep your options open and keep the PCSP spots free for people who do have that certainty.

Can anyone who is part of the program confirm what fellowships you are able to do after IM in this program? I have a STRONG lean towards Hospice and Palliative Medicine - would this be an option? I see they have geriatrics listed on their website (also into consideration for me). Any elaboration on what fellow classmates have done would be extremely helpful. I'm interviewing at LECOM Erie next month. Thanks!

Hey!! This post gave me so much hope!! Im super interested in this pathway at seton hill and my gpa is 3.82 and mcat is around 506 (based on practice test - my mcat exam is this saturday). Do you think ill get in assuming i hv all the ECs and experience?

How much faster paced is this compared to the traditional?

How much faster paced is this compared to the traditional?
This is 3 years compared to the traditional 4 years of med school. So it is 1 year faster.

Does anyone have any idea if you do the primary care pathway, if you would still have the option to work as a hospitalist after completing an internal medicine residency? Or does the contract stipulate that you have to work outpatient primary care?

This may be a slightly outdated version from their pathways packet, but IDK if they changed it as I cannot find the other one I had.
As in the other thread - this is property of LECOM and just being transcribed; forgive any typos as I am typing quickly without looking at the screen.

Here is the LECOM website page Primary Care Scholars Pathway - LECOM Education System
It also has a side panel to click on for the curriculum.

Primary Care Scholars Pathway

Introduction

The Primary Care Scholars Pathway (PCSP) is intended for those students who have a dedicated commitment to primary care medicine. The specific clinical specialties outlined under the PCSP include family practice and internal medicine.

Students in the PCSP program complete the requirements for the D>O> degree in three years. The mechanism for achieving a three-year curriculum is by shortening the summer vacation to 2 weeks. Additionally, the number of clinical rotations is decreased to 16. By omitting some elective and selective rotations, the focus of the clinical training is on primary care medicine. Students are required to sign a contract acknowledging that they will be assessed a financial penalty if they leave primary care practice price prior to the time frame specified in the contract.

Pre-Clinical Curriculum

The PCSP curriculum is ased on the DSP model, which is structured on the self-directed modular system. For more information, see the detailed description of the DSP program. Although the PCSP is modular based study, there are some differences compared with the DSP. Students in the PCSP have classes during the summer. Since there is only a two week vacation after completion of the first academic year, remediation differs for the PCSP program.

Clinical Curriculum for PCSP

Students enrolled in the PCSP must complete 16 rotations during years two and threee. Clinical rotations for PCSP students assigned by the Assistant Dean of Clinical Education. All PCSP students in a specific class proceed through rotations on the same schedule. Within each clinical rotation, the PCSP students are required to attend a apstone experience on the third Thursday of every month. Through these experiences, students come together as a group to review basic and clinical sciences in the context of case studies in a modified problem-based learning format. Primary care physicians will facilitate these discussions. These sessions include an Osteopathic Principles and Practices portion with OPP Department members. Students also are required to continue their mentorship with the physician they were following during the entire second year as they attend a session with their mentor for four hours each rotation.

*see the website for the curriculum as I am not typing it*

Grading

Grades for each of these PCSP rotations are contingent on a Patient Log and a Mentor Log having been approved by the clinical director of the pathway along with participation in the rotation Capstone Experience. Grades for all of these rotations are determined by using the LECOM Clinical Clerkship Student Evaluation Form.
End of the rotation exams are consistent with LECOM Clinical Education policy and are administered at the end of each core subject.

Does anyone have any idea if you do the primary care pathway, if you would still have the option to work as a hospitalist after completing an internal medicine residency? Or does the contract stipulate that you have to work outpatient primary care?

To the best of my knowledge it doesn't stipulate anything about inpatient/outpatient so long as you do as their website mentions
"
*The PCSP Student Primary Care Commitment
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine acknowledges the national shortage in primary care physicians in the United States. The goal of LECOM’s PCSP is to attract competent students to the primary care specialties of Family Medicine (FM) and General Internal Medicine (IM) through a reduction in the time and cost of becoming a practicing primary care physician. The PCSP students acknowledge and confirm that their entry and continued matriculation in the PCSP is contingent upon the students’ commitment to enter primary care residency programs in FM or general IM directly after graduation and practice primary care medicine for a minimum of five years following the successful completion of residency. The actual practice of medicine may be delayed by a fellowship in geriatrics, neuromuscular medicine, or family medicine obstetrics.

The PCSP student acknowledges that in the event he/she chooses not to enter into a primary care residency directly following graduation from LECOM or chooses to not practice primary care medicine for a five-year period following the completion of said residency, the student is asked to return the scholarship award with assessed fees based on the tuition paid at the inception of the student’s final year at LECOM."
Primary Care Scholars Pathway - LECOM Education System

Great post. I'm very interested in this pathway at LECOM.