Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here. Ahhhh! I'm curious about the time-frame of the calls. I've seen everywhere from around 5 to 9 (ET)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hope the best you three. Keep your hopes up.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a relief. I'm glad we're all in the same boat (for now :p). Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
This is BC, Canada guy. I got a call at 7:28 pm pacific time. So happy.......Good luck to the rest. See you in the Fall.

Reactions: 5 users
So happy for everyone! Many congrats! I was laying in bed just about to fall asleep when the best-phone call-ever arrived. I'm in shock. So much for going to bed early tonight, I'll be lucky to sleep at all now! wooo!

Reactions: 2 users
So happy for everyone! Many congrats! I was laying in bed just about to fall asleep when the best-phone call-ever arrived. I'm in shock. So much for going to bed early tonight, I'll be lucky to sleep at all now! wooo!

So very happy for you and the others that are in. Happy to have you in our class. Can't wait to start already.

This is for all future applicants to see:

My friend took the MCAT twice: first time was 7PS 4VR QWS 7BS --> 18Q and the second time (with no writing sample) was 8PS 4VR 10BS --> 22

His cGPA is 3.5 and sGPA is 3.55.

...and he was just accepted a few hours ago! He interviewed on Monday.

English was his third language so for those who are in a similar situation, do not let a low verbal score hold you back from applying to your favorite schools.

Good luck to everyone this cycle and to those applying in future cycles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, it is so nice to meet you. Yes, I got accepted a few days ago by LMU. I have so many questions and absolutely need your helps. My name is Leo from BC.

1) Are you a second year student at LMU? Which province are you from in Canada?

2) I saw that students need to have health/dental insurance which students have to pay around $6000-$7000 per year. If my parents' employers have extended coverage for my dental and health, do I still have to pay that portion of money to LUM.

3) Do you have any suggestions for the housing during my 4 years study? Is off-campus housing (closed to campus) much cheaper than on-campus housing with similar condition? I think I have to buy a car during my stay as there is no public communication (such as bus) there, right?

4) As a Canadian who study in U.S, should we get loan from Canadian government (Federal and provincial) or from U.S government? Do you have any suggestion for the loan? By the way, there is a cost "Loan fees" which is around $1800 per year in the Cost of Attendance Budget 2014-2015, what is the "Loan fees" for? Should we pay this fees to LMU if we get loan from Canadian government?

5) Do you have any suggestions for the books and supplies? Should LUM buy the books and supplies for us and we just pay to them or can we buy book and supplies ourselves?

6) I didn't decide if I will return back to Canada or stay in U.S. If I want to return back to Canada after graduation, what extra exams should I take? What time frame should I take for these exams?

7) If I want to stay in U.S after graduation, is it hard for a Canadian who graduate from U.S medical schools to get residency in U.S? What extra exams should I take? What visas (it seems H1B or J1?) should we hold for the residency after graduation? Any tricky to get this kind of visa?

Many thanks for your time and helps.

Hi there, it is so nice to meet you. Yes, I got accepted a few days ago by LMU. I have so many questions and absolutely need your helps. My name is Leo from BC.

1) Are you a second year student at LMU? Which province are you from in Canada?

I am starting at LMU this year and am from Ontario.

2) I saw that students need to have health/dental insurance which students have to pay around $6000-$7000 per year. If my parents' employers have extended coverage for my dental and health, do I still have to pay that portion of money to LUM.

The health and dental can be waived if you provide proof of equal or better coverage. The details will be sent to us sometime in March. At that point you will determine if your current coverage will suffice. If that is the case, submit the waiver.

3) Do you have any suggestions for the housing during my 4 years study? Is off-campus housing (closed to campus) much cheaper than on-campus housing with similar condition? I think I have to buy a car during my stay as there is no public communication (such as bus) there, right?

Off campus housing is cheaper from what I have gathered. You should rent a house or apartment with other students if you want to save money. You will most likely need a car unless you split one between roommates.

4) As a Canadian who study in U.S, should we get loan from Canadian government (Federal and provincial) or from U.S government? Do you have any suggestion for the loan? By the way, there is a cost "Loan fees" which is around $1800 per year in the Cost of Attendance Budget 2014-2015, what is the "Loan fees" for? Should we pay this fees to LMU if we get loan from Canadian government?

You will not qualify for US loans. You also want a loan from a Canadian bank since the interest is much cheaper than that offered in the US. The loan fees on the cost of attendance sheet are interest payments on you loans.

5) Do you have any suggestions for the books and supplies? Should LUM buy the books and supplies for us and we just pay to them or can we buy book and supplies ourselves?

We buy it ourselves if we choose to. The book budget is not accurate since we will not need all of the books and even if we did we should not buy them new. The supplies budget is our medical kit. It is our choice to buy it or not from the school.

6) I didn't decide if I will return back to Canada or stay in U.S. If I want to return back to Canada after graduation, what extra exams should I take? What time frame should I take for these exams?

If you do residency in the US, and then return to Canada, you will need to take usmle and comlex steps 123. You need to take the MCCQE parts 1 and 2 during residency if you want to return to Canada.

7) If I want to stay in U.S after graduation, is it hard for a Canadian who graduate from U.S medical schools to get residency in U.S? What extra exams should I take? What visas (it seems H1B or J1?) should we hold for the residency after graduation? Any tricky to get this kind of visa?

We will have to perform well in medical school and do well on the boards. We are most likely held to higher standards since we need a work visa. Do well in class, do well on boards, and do elective rotations 4th year at programs you are interested in. The visa application process costs money, so the residency program is going to have to really like you if they are going to pay your way for a visa.

Many thanks for your time and helps.

I would like to meet you in August. Thank you so much for your time and help!

Does anyone know if students receive a tablet/laptop and if so, any idea what the tablet/laptop will be for the class of 2018?

Does anyone know if students receive a tablet/laptop and if so, any idea what the tablet/laptop will be for the class of 2018?
In the past you were issued a Lenovo laptop tablet hybrid. Next year we can get whichever laptop we want (jury is still out on if macs are ok).

I thought they told us that we will give you the specs and you can buy what ever you like.

I thought they told us that we will give you the specs and you can buy what ever you like.
Yes, if I recall correctly, we were told that this coming year they no longer will be giving out the laptops anymore. Instead, we can use our own and they will just install the program/ software that we will need in order to take the exams. She did not mention anything about having to get a specific type of laptop. I am planning on getting a macbook.

I also have some similar questions - mostly related to financing/insurance for Canadians!

I also have some similar questions - mostly related to financing/insurance for Canadians!
You can give the US the gold medal in hockey for starters.

Hello, brand spanking new to SDN! Does anyone know if the class is full yet or if they are still extending interviews? Thanks!

I am actually a vet student to be but my boyfriend is DO. He and I are debating and trying to decide between AZCOM/MWU and LMU CVM/LMU DCOM. Our big question is rotation sites right now. During my third year I will be bouncing back and forth between Harrogate and Knoxville. What does third year rotations look like for a DO student? Will he be moving every month? Is there any hope of us staying in the same location?

Had an interesting but for the most part good at time at LMU-DCOM this past Friday. Awesome faculty and amazing scenery.

Would somebody mind pointing me to matriculation requirements (like sending transcripts and such)? I haven't been able to contact admissions forsome reason! Thanks ^^

Would somebody mind pointing me to matriculation requirements (like sending transcripts and such)? I haven't been able to contact admissions forsome reason! Thanks ^^

I would give them a call. (first thing)

I know that 2nd years are getting their rotation assignments soon...can anyone tell me what the chances are of being placed with your fiance/spouse? Is there a way to guarantee they'll place you in the same location?

i have a couple questions for any of you current LMU-DCOM students out there. i was accepted to LMU back in October, as well as three more schools since then, and I have narrowed down my choices between LMU and VCOM-Carolinas. i really like LMU a lot besides for how large the class size. i could see some potential downsides to such a large class size such as finding it more difficult to meet with the profs outside of class to ask them questions but if someone could elaborate on whether or not the class size has much of an impact on the individual med student that'd be great. also, i can't say i've heard the best things about LMU rotations so far but again i'd rather have someone from LMU elaborate on the quality of their rotation sites than just going by what non-LMU students say.

i have a couple questions for any of you current LMU-DCOM students out there. i was accepted to LMU back in October, as well as three more schools since then, and I have narrowed down my choices between LMU and VCOM-Carolinas. i really like LMU a lot besides for how large the class size. i could see some potential downsides to such a large class size such as finding it more difficult to meet with the profs outside of class to ask them questions but if someone could elaborate on whether or not the class size has much of an impact on the individual med student that'd be great. also, i can't say i've heard the best things about LMU rotations so far but again i'd rather have someone from LMU elaborate on the quality of their rotation sites than just going by what non-LMU students say.

I was also accepted for WVSOM and opted for LMU-DCOM. I know the class is big, but what I really found there is that the students are always close to each other and very co-operative. I saw all the professors have open doors and are very accessable. A feeling that was varified by the current students of LMU. I will be honest and say the I haven't heard anything at all about the LMU rotations and hoping they are going to be a good experience. Good luck.

I can't speak about the quality of rotations because I haven't done them myself yet, but I will say that I was very apprehensive coming to DCOM because of the increased class size. It does kind of suck that I still don't know a bunch of people in our class, but I've never had a problem getting in contact with a professor/faculty advisor. For the most part, they're very happy to help you out--whether it be personal/school-related. I love that about this school; it's a new experience for me. And as big as the class size is, the faculty still--for the most part--know who most everyone is.

Reactions: 3 users
Do I have a shot?

First of all, CONGRATS to everyone that has been accepted! LMU-DCOM seems like an amazing school and I hope to see everyone there in the Fall. When I first contacted DCOM, I was interested in applying next cycle. After speaking with Janette Martin, I decided to apply REALLY late this cycle (January). I filled out my primary, secondary, and changed my MCAT date to January. I received my MCAT score yesterday and was pretty disappointed with a 24 (10V, 6P, 8B) I am currently taking Physics II and OChem II, so I actually took the exam before having those two classes under my belt. I knew the situation wouldn't be ideal, but I was so excited about the possibility of starting this Fall, I had to try!

My cGPA - 3.88, sGPA - 3.97, nsGPA 3.66. I majored in Medical Lab Science and have worked in several labs. I also teach a course in MLS at my undergrad university. I have decent amount of volunteer hours including multiple international medical missions. I am not a TN native, but I am TN adjacent. I have good LORs from a committee, DO and MD. I am a nontraditional student with a family and I have a genuine interest in primary care.

Does anybody think I have a shot? Is it too late? Are the classes to full? How long will it take it hear anything? Actually, I will take ANY information anyone is willing to offer!

Thanks

Do I have a shot?

First of all, CONGRATS to everyone that has been accepted! LMU-DCOM seems like an amazing school and I hope to see everyone there in the Fall. When I first contacted DCOM, I was interested in applying next cycle. After speaking with Janette Martin, I decided to apply REALLY late this cycle (January). I filled out my primary, secondary, and changed my MCAT date to January. I received my MCAT score yesterday and was pretty disappointed with a 24 (10V, 6P, 8B) I am currently taking Physics II and OChem II, so I actually took the exam before having those two classes under my belt. I knew the situation wouldn't be ideal, but I was so excited about the possibility of starting this Fall, I had to try!

My cGPA - 3.88, sGPA - 3.97, nsGPA 3.66. I majored in Medical Lab Science and have worked in several labs. I also teach a course in MLS at my undergrad university. I have decent amount of volunteer hours including multiple international medical missions. I am not a TN native, but I am TN adjacent. I have good LORs from a committee, DO and MD. I am a nontraditional student with a family and I have a genuine interest in primary care.

Does anybody think I have a shot? Is it too late? Are the classes to full? How long will it take it hear anything? Actually, I will take ANY information anyone is willing to offer!

Thanks
Hoping2makeit,
I was just accepted last Thursday and we actually have similar stats. I have a cGPA of 3.7 sGPA- 3.8 and an MCAT of 24. I'm not a native of TN either, but was from a neighboring state. I would say that your chances look great, based on my experience! I am not a non traditional student but it seems like you have a ton of experience and it definitely isn't too late in the cycle for you. When I interviewed they told us that the school takes around 225 students and even more than that. It seemed to me that they still had around 100 spots (give or take) left. I hope this helps and good luck!!

Hoping2makeit,
I was just accepted last Thursday and we actually have similar stats. I have a cGPA of 3.7 sGPA- 3.8 and an MCAT of 24. I'm not a native of TN either, but was from a neighboring state. I would say that your chances look great, based on my experience! I am not a non traditional student but it seems like you have a ton of experience and it definitely isn't too late in the cycle for you. When I interviewed they told us that the school takes around 225 students and even more than that. It seemed to me that they still had around 100 spots (give or take) left. I hope this helps and good luck!!

Wow 100 spots, they've got ways to go then. Tomorrow is Thursday, would be an important day for some more lucky ones. Keep you phones handy.

Thursday, its here. Big day for lucky ones who interviewed this week. Keep those phones handy, especially this evening.

Sometime, the calls go very late. I got the call at 7:30 pm (pacific time) last Thursday.