2020-2021 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a quick question guys. when we submit our secondary essays to lmu we cant access them right? but they should have access to them? just making sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if this school is interviewing for the alternate list at this point or if acceptances are still being given? Also what's the timeline for hearing back after an interview?
Thank you!

SO- I just wanted to hop on here and say.. Those of you who've mentioned coming here solely because you have a family or are single parents... heed my warning. They act like they are "family focused" but are certainly not. You can PM if you want more info, but don't buy into their BS false advertising about this area.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Will do, but from what I've learned from the second and third years who have done well, it'll likely be the same answer
I agree with your thought process-I think the issue, though, is that the majority of people require outside resources in order to effectively learn the material. It shouldn't be this way. And believe me, I was you last year.. but Second year has been a dumpster fire. i truly do hope it is because of COVID and that it will be better for you guys next year.

SO- I just wanted to hop on here and say.. Those of you who've mentioned coming here solely because you have a family or are single parents... heed my warning. They act like they are "family focused" but are certainly not. You can PM if you want more info, but don't buy into their BS false advertising about this area.

Is this about rotation sites, or something else?

I’ve honestly never heard DCOM advertise itself as especially “family friendly.” More people are married than many schools, somewhat because the school lends itself more to non traditional and older students, but generally (especially before Knoxville) medical school spouses and kids haven’t had it easy there. People with families have never gotten prioritization and I think COVID has only made that worse.

Does anybody know if this school is interviewing for the alternate list at this point or if acceptances are still being given? Also what's the timeline for hearing back after an interview?
Thank you!

1-3 weeks generally. They are still accepting students.

Reactions: 1 user
Idk maybe Harrogate is different but myself and plenty of other students have received constant support from
Faculty. Our sga president is continuously having meeting and advocating for the things we as a class have asked for and so far most of it has happened. We constantly have professors taking their time out to do extra review sessions for us . Maybe I’ll change my mind second year but right now I don’t see any issues with DCOM other than the regular DO school /med school life problems .

Is this about rotation sites, or something else?

I’ve honestly never heard DCOM advertise itself as especially “family friendly.” More people are married than many schools, somewhat because the school lends itself more to non traditional and older students, but generally (especially before Knoxville) medical school spouses and kids haven’t had it easy there. People with families have never gotten prioritization and I think COVID has only made that worse.

1-3 weeks generally. They are still accepting students.
Yep. And believe me- during my interview that’s exactly what they preached about knox. It’s why I chose to come here. It’s why a few people on here that I’ve seen, have considered coming here. But when rotations come around- they give zero Fs about anyone who doesn’t have health problems.

Idk maybe Harrogate is different but myself and plenty of other students have received constant support from
Faculty. Our sga president is continuously having meeting and advocating for the things we as a class have asked for and so far most of it has happened. We constantly have professors taking their time out to do extra review sessions for us . Maybe I’ll change my mind second year but right now I don’t see any issues with DCOM other than the regular DO school /med school life problems .
That’s fine- you’re entitled to your opinion. I was just speaking from experience, and with knowledge of class consensus. First year was a breeze compared to what we have now

That’s fine- you’re entitled to your opinion. I was just speaking from experience, and with knowledge of class consensus. First year was a breeze compared to what we have now
You have to take into consideration that COVID messed with a lot of things. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how are you doing in your classes so far?

You have to take into consideration that COVID messed with a lot of things. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how are you doing in your classes so far?
I definitely realize that and hope that’s the reason.
I’m not sure what my classes have to do with the lottery or the school falsely marketing itself. but I’m doing just fine. Derm is a struggle for everyone but I’m passing 😉 I can assure you that even our top students (one being a close friend of mine) feel the same.

Yeah, come here expecting to do clinicals in the middle of nowhere Tennessee or elsewhere in rural Appalachia, in case that hasn’t been stated enough. Dealing with the sites and the numbers that DCOM has, they can’t be “family friendly” enough to match people according to their spouse’s careers or their children’s schooling. You’d have to be married to someone who works for DCOM to be given special treatment for rotation placement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, come here expecting to do clinicals in the middle of nowhere Tennessee or elsewhere in rural Appalachia, in case that hasn’t been stated enough. Dealing with the sites and the numbers that DCOM has, they can’t be “family friendly” enough to match people according to their spouse’s careers or their children’s schooling. You’d have to be married to someone who works for DCOM to be given special treatment for rotation placement.
Well considering that I met with the clinical dean and was told I had a very good request that was easily accommodated... I’d say you’re wrong. There’s a reason they allow people to make special requests. And there are 5 parents in my class- I’d say they could easily be family friendly enough to accommodate people with kids (especially single parents). Also- per the clinical dean, they used to give parents preference- so...

Well considering that I met with the clinical dean and was told I had a very good request that was easily accommodated... I’d say you’re wrong. There’s a reason they allow people to make special requests. And there are 5 parents in my class- I’d say they could easily be family friendly enough to accommodate people with kids (especially single parents). Also- per the clinical dean, they used to give parents preference- so...
Ah - I’ve not heard of people who were told they would be accommodated, and then were not. I know they let anyone make a request, but before last year they only made guarantees for health. Any chance to appeal?

Parents might’ve been given preference when Harrogate was the only campus. But there are more than 5 parents in Knoxville, and not that many spots for those wanting to stay in the area. If parents are given priority, so would the argument be made for those with spouses or other family, and others with reasons. Big focus on equity lately, and with Knoxville area always having been the most popular site, they likely want to remove any perceived bias in favor of the Knoxville campus students.

Ah - I’ve not heard of people who were told they would be accommodated, and then were not. I know they let anyone make a request, but before last year they only made guarantees for health. Any chance to appeal?

Parents might’ve been given preference when Harrogate was the only campus. But there are more than 5 parents in Knoxville, and not that many spots for those wanting to stay in the area. If parents are given priority, so would the argument be made for those with spouses or other family, and others with reasons. Big focus on equity lately, and with Knoxville area always having been the most popular site, they likely want to remove any perceived bias in favor of the Knoxville campus students.
There are two single parents in our entire class. I’m not here to argue about this- I’m simply telling people who mentioned they had that impression not to base their decision off of it. Because it will bite them in the ass come third year. And yes I plan to appeal it, not sure if it’s allowed but also don’t really care at this point lol

3.5x/508
Interviewed 10/2
Waitlisted 10/9
Have felt good about my chances of coming off the list. Looking at writing them a life update email, I imagine 5 months of no contact is too long.
Do you know how the waitlist works? As in are we ranked and coming off in an order.

Do you know how the waitlist works? As in are we ranked and coming off in an order.
We aren’t ranked. I got an email saying we have a good chance of being pulled off but they evaluate everyone again when they’re about to pull people off.

Reactions: 4 users
We aren’t ranked. I got an email saying we have a good chance of being pulled off but they evaluate everyone again when they’re about to pull people off.
Yep was told the same. They said they would pull some students off in march, but most waitlist movement would happen after the conclusion of the interview cycle in April.

anyone hear of outcomes from this year's residency Match Day for LMU?

I hear it is pretty on par with the last two years, which you can find under outcomes. I doubt they will post this year’s results for another few weeks.

I suspect they’re talking about a voluntary resignation of one of the Knoxville profs a few weeks ago. Could be wrong.

I received a pre-ii waitlist back in December, sent in a LOI in January, silence - is it safe to say it's over?

I received a pre-ii waitlist back in December, sent in a LOI in January, silence - is it safe to say it's over?
Same story here. I’m gonna say it’s over for me, but I don’t actually know how long they interview for

Same story here. I’m gonna say it’s over for me, but I don’t actually know how long they interview for
You can both try calling the Director of Admissions. She's pretty blunt and will let you know if you will be getting an interview this cycle or not. I believe they are stopping interviewing end of April and send out invites 2 weeks in advance.

Has anyone had any luck requesting a campus change?
Not after getting an offer, in the last year that I know of. No harm in calling admissions to ask, but unless you have a really good reason or they’ve changed policy you may be locked into what you’ve been offered.

edit: I stand corrected. Recommend calling admissions ASAP

Last edited:
Not after getting an offer, in the last year that I know of. No harm in calling admissions to ask, but unless you have a really good reason or they’ve changed policy you may be locked into what you’ve been offered.
I forgot what I had listed as my preferred campus but the day after I was accepted I emailed admissions and they switched my campus instantly, didn't seem like a big deal. This was back in November when there were many seats still open, so this policy may have changed.

• Care
You can both try calling the Director of Admissions. She's pretty blunt and will let you know if you will be getting an interview this cycle or not. I believe they are stopping interviewing end of April and send out invites 2 weeks in advance.
Would you suggest calling Ms. Porter or Mace? I saw in the beginning of the thread that peeps said Ms. Porter's really nice, but I don't see her on the Admissions page... I'm applying for the Knox campus if that matters

Would you suggest calling Ms. Porter or Mace? I saw in the beginning of the thread that peeps said Ms. Porter's really nice, but I don't see her on the Admissions page... I'm applying for the Knox campus if that matters
Whitney Porter is no longer with DCOM. Robin Mace is the new director of admissions. I would call her directly

They dismissed Porter .....

you gona call? lol

Hello everyone, I'm still on an interview hold...anyone else got taken off the interview hold recently? Would y'all recommend I call ? I emailed them about 1.5 months ago and they said they would let me know about my application soon but nothing.

For anybody waiting on a decision, I am nervous we won't hear back tomorrow because it's a university holiday (good Friday)

Current 1st year at the Knoxville campus doing well above average. Don't know much about our rotation sites, so I'll stick to what I do know. The first 2 years at LMU-DCOM are what you make of it. If you treat it like a 9-5 job, keep up with your anki, follow along with first aid, utilize outside resources like sketchy and B and B, and actually try to understand the material then you will be fine. If you are expecting to come in and be spoon fed the material, regurgitate facts, and have a hard time putting in real work, then I imagine it'll be tough to do well. It's true, not every professor is great, but all material taught is board relevant and at least touched upon during lecture. Filling in the gaps is up to the student through the use of other resources. Personally, I think many in my class are still learning that this is the case.

Happy to answer any other questions.
What in particular do you like about DCOM?

Hello everyone, I'm still on an interview hold...anyone else got taken off the interview hold recently? Would y'all recommend I call ? I emailed them about 1.5 months ago and they said they would let me know about my application soon but nothing.
I emailed them also about 2 months ago, and they said thanks for email lol... idk i think we take L's but its still not over!

Does anybody have insight on post-II decision releases? I was expecting decisions last friday or this monday, but now I am confused if I misheard when the admissions folks were telling us we would hear back? does anybody know?