Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been put on the wait list and know that they could call anytime between late April-July. However, when are the largest portion of calls made for people on the wait list? How many people are usually on the wait list?

They said last week that about 60 people are pulled off the waitlist each year. If I remember correctly there are about 120-150 people on waitlist? As far as the largest portion I'm unsure. This past year I know of a few individuals who were pulled as late and the week of orientation.

Members don't see this ad.

Just filed FAFSA. I am excited. Yea :soexcited:
Thats good! I filled it out last week and got my award last Friday. I accepted my award two days ago and filled out the EC and MPN on the fafsa site.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am starting the vet school in the fall and was looking for pet friendly housing. Any suggestions?

Thats good! I filled it out last week and got my award last Friday. I accepted my award two days ago and filled out the EC and MPN on the fafsa site.

FAFSA is for U.S citizen or permanent residents only, right?

FAFSA is for U.S citizen or permanent residents only, right?
I believe you are correct. As long as you have a social security number that is valid, then you can apply for it. (I may be mistaken, but that is what my understanding is)

anyone who wants to save money and would like to live in a 3 Br apartment about 3-10 miles away from DCOM, message me. I saw some ads ranging from $600-$950. I will have my car, so if distance is an issue, we can split gas costs.

I'm a male, from Chicago, Il, and I'm very clean, and hoping you will also be the same. private message me if you're interested in sharing and if you want to get to know me better.

I have been put on the wait list and know that they could call anytime between late April-July. However, when are the largest portion of calls made for people on the wait list? How many people are usually on the wait list?
+1 - I went through last years forum and it looked like some calls go out in April but most come after the May 15th deadline, and some people were called even into July, but for the majority it seemed like a lot of the calls went out in the end of May. I also read that when they start reviewing their waitlists they do it every week so that is definitely a plus.

Reactions: 2 users
Coming to Harrogate/ Middlesboro area tomorrow. Excited.

Phone calls are being made. I got one at 1:21PM EST.
Interviewed on 2/28.
Good luck y'all!

P.S: If you want to interview here, just write them a letter of interest (what I did) or give them a call. They seem really receptive to people who do this. They contacted me back the next day to schedule an interview. If you don't have an acceptance yet and didn't apply here, you can still do so until 3/15.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
P.S: If you want to interview here, just write them a letter of interest (what I did) or give them a call. They seem really receptive to people who do this. They contacted me back the next day to schedule an interview. If you don't have an acceptance yet and didn't apply here, you can still do so until 3/15.

This happened to me, I got an invite in my email a few hours after I called.

This happened to me, I got an invite in my email a few hours after I called.
What did you guys tell them over the phone? If you don't mind me asking. I wouldn't know where to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you guys tell them over the phone? If you don't mind me asking. I wouldn't know where to start

I told them that I sent in my secondary in late 2013, that I haven't heard anything from them, and that if they could update me on my file.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks I really appreciate it. Will try that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there anyone out there who got accepted without having their undergrad education complete? Also how do they view community college credits

Technically you do not have to have a degree to enter the program. That being said, you will be competing against a group that nearly all have completed an undergraduate degree. As far as community college credits go, the committee does not like to see more than 30% of classes coming from community college/internet classes.

Just got back from Middlesboro. Got me a house. Had fun.

Reactions: 1 users
I have an interview at LMU-DCOM on 3/14/14. Anyone have any advice or comments on DCOM in general?

I have an interview at LMU-DCOM on 3/14/14. Anyone have any advice or comments on DCOM in general?

Just be yourself. It's the most laid-back interview I've ever had for anything in my life; they're seriously just trying to get a feel for who you are. In fact, the entire environment is very welcoming and warm. I' have friends at other schools--MD and DO--and the comradrie that exists at DCOM for the most part is unparalleled. Even the faculty go out of their way (most of them, anyways) to help you out. The class size has gotten bigger but people will still know who you are; if that's a selling point (it was for me) then this is a great school for you!

Make sure you go to the dinner with the students and ask a lot of questions. Relax and be yourself, and most of all have fun. Good luck.

Has anyone been taken off a pre-interview hold and received an interview recently? Been on hold since jan i think. :/

Has anyone been taken off a pre-interview hold and received an interview recently? Been on hold since jan i think. :/
Been also on hold since December. I called last month and they told me they review files that are on hold at the end of every month. If you don't get an ii beginning of next month, you should get ready for next cycle if you don't have acceptance(s) from other school(s)...

Been also on hold since December. I called last month and they told me they review files that are on hold at the end of every month. If you don't get an ii beginning of next month, you should get ready for next cycle if you don't have acceptance(s) from other school(s)...

Thanks for sharing the info. 3.1/3.3/27 on pre-interview list since November. I've sent several emails showing my continuous interest to LMU but haven't been selected for an interview. Guess it's almost the end, so tortuous.

Thanks for sharing the info. 3.1/3.3/27 on pre-interview list since November. I've sent several emails showing my continuous interest to LMU but haven't been selected for an interview. Guess it's almost the end, so tortuous.

There are only about 40 spots left in this cycle. They have raised the bar as to what they are looking for in an applicant to fill the final 40 seats - this is typical with rolling admissions (the earlier you interview, the better chance you have & standards are lower). I can say with almost 100% certainty that you were not contacted for an ii due to your GPA. The new way they prioritize applicants is based on sGPA. I am not trying to be a "downer", I just wanted to let you know how things are shaking down here.

There are only about 40 spots left in this cycle. They have raised the bar as to what they are looking for in an applicant to fill the final 40 seats - this is typical with rolling admissions (the earlier you interview, the better chance you have & standards are lower). I can say with almost 100% certainty that you were not contacted for an ii due to your GPA. The new way they prioritize applicants is based on sGPA. I am not trying to be a "downer", I just wanted to let you know how things are shaking down here.

I applied to LMU-DCOM with a Jan 2014 MCAT, so they have only had my application for a couple of weeks. I have a 3.97 sGPA/3.88cGPA, but my MCAT score is only a 24(6P, 10V, 8B). I took the MCAT before I even started taking physics II and O-Chem II. I knew it would be lower, but I REALLY wanted to apply for this cycle. Do you think I have a shot at an interview with my sGPA?

I applied to LMU-DCOM with a Jan 2014 MCAT, so they have only had my application for a couple of weeks. I have a 3.97 sGPA/3.88cGPA, but my MCAT score is only a 24(6P, 10V, 8B). I took the MCAT before I even started taking physics II and O-Chem II. I knew it would be lower, but I REALLY wanted to apply for this cycle. Do you think I have a shot at an interview with my sGPA?

I think you have a decent shot. Your sGPA is terrific, and you also have a strong cGPA. If I were you, I would contact Janette Martin directly via phone and voice your enthusiasm for the school and explain that you took the MCAT without having physics II and O-Chem II. It's my understanding that they have filled all interview spots through March, so your interview may not be until April...but a late interview is better than no interview.

Any one know:
1) How many interview dates left for this year cycle?
2)Is this year cylcle basically over?
3) Has any one taken off interview hold or waitlist for an ii recently( last several days?

I had a few questions. I intend to apply this upcoming cycle. I am a non-traditional applicant (turn 25) next month and I am taking my MCAT in August. I have decided to pursue a Master's this upcoming year to strengthen my science gpa as well as my cumulative gpa. I would like to know if I applied via AACOMAS between October and December if I would still have a legitimate shot at DCOM? I know it is late in the application cycle, however, if I am able to add my Fall semester
's grades I thought it may strengthen my chances of getting an interview. Please let me know your thoughts and please critique! I would love to hear honest opinions so I can plan accordingly. I forgot to mention I have conducted research, have strong LOR's, and volunteering/shadowing hours, as well as leadership positions.

I had a few questions. I intend to apply this upcoming cycle. I am a non-traditional applicant (turn 25) next month and I am taking my MCAT in August. I have decided to pursue a Master's this upcoming year to strengthen my science gpa as well as my cumulative gpa. I would like to know if I applied via AACOMAS between October and December if I would still have a legitimate shot at DCOM? I know it is late in the application cycle, however, if I am able to add my Fall semester
's grades I thought it may strengthen my chances of getting an interview. Please let me know your thoughts and please critique! I would love to hear honest opinions so I can plan accordingly. I forgot to mention I have conducted research, have strong LOR's, and volunteering/shadowing hours, as well as leadership positions.
I sent my applications out on Halloween (because I was in the same situation as you... Had to wait to take the mcat till September, wait for the scores to be sent, then get all my other affairs together), and I got an interview invite in February, accepted a week later. You'll have plenty of time. I'd say go for it. I did, and now I'm starting med school in the fall!

I second what Osasuna said above. My primary application did not go out unttil late November and interviewed late January, so I believe you will be fine. ;) Also, if I may say, perhaps you don't even need to pursue the Masters this coming year, all depending on your GPA of course. Seems to me that you have pretty solid ECs and that is always a good thing. Anyways, best of luck to you!

I appreciate the responses, I think it's in my best interest to go ahead and pursue the master's this year just to build on a strong science foundation and apply. Is it okay if I PM either Hvilledoc or Osasuna if I come across any other questions? Thanks again! Both of your messages seem encouraging and DCOM is my #1 choice so hopefully all goes well this upcoming cycle.

I appreciate the responses, I think it's in my best interest to go ahead and pursue the master's this year just to build on a strong science foundation and apply. Is it okay if I PM either Hvilledoc or Osasuna if I come across any other questions? Thanks again! Both of your messages seem encouraging and DCOM is my #1 choice so hopefully all goes well this upcoming cycle.
Sure, any time.

Does DCOM have an accepted student day?

If it is a day where the school hosts newly accepted students and introduces them to the coming semesters curriculum, then yes they do, it is orientation and will occur the week before classes start. It is mandatory. Ours started July 29th last year. Class of 2018 will probably happen somewhere around that same time frame. If however your question is something different, then I don't think they hold a "Newly accepted student day" other than orientation.

Anyone know if acceptance calls have been made for the set of interviews on 3/7 and 3/10?

You are welcome. You can PM anytime ;)

Just be yourself. It's the most laid-back interview I've ever had for anything in my life; they're seriously just trying to get a feel for who you are. In fact, the entire environment is very welcoming and warm. I' have friends at other schools--MD and DO--and the comradrie that exists at DCOM for the most part is unparalleled. Even the faculty go out of their way (most of them, anyways) to help you out. The class size has gotten bigger but people will still know who you are; if that's a selling point (it was for me) then this is a great school for you!

Thank you for the advice. I am extremely excited!

Would have to disagree with you my friend. I have a 2.95 sGPA and 3.05 cGPA and received an invitation (not URM). MCAT is meh (28). Had to decline due to being accepted at my top choice but everyone has a shot if the adcom sees qualities in you that they like.

For those of you who have yet to interview: Last year, I was part of the last scheduled interview group. Myself, and 3 or 4 others from my interview group were accepted. If you are the type of applicant LMU-DCOM is searching for you have a chance. Don't give up hope!

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you who have yet to interview: Last year, I was part of the last scheduled interview group. Myself, and 3 or 4 others from my interview group were accepted. If you are the type of applicant LMU-DCOM is searching for you have a chance. Don't give up hope!
Tapoona,
Do you remember the date or week and month of last year interview group and how long after interview you got the acceptance offer?
And how many interview date of that month? 1 or 1?

Would have to disagree with you my friend. I have a 2.95 sGPA and 3.05 cGPA and received an invitation (not URM). MCAT is meh (28). Had to decline due to being accepted at my top choice but everyone has a shot if the adcom sees qualities in you that they like.
Cookie,
When did you complete secondary?
What was the interview date and when did they offer the acceptance?

I interviewed on 3/14/14 and the admissions office stated that the class is 3/4 full (appx. 60 seats are still available), that they are about to stop calling out for new interviewees (they have interviewed ~500 people so far), and that they plan to interview into April.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 3/14/14 and the admissions office stated that the class is 3/4 full (appx. 60 seats are still available), that they are about to stop calling out for new interviewees (they have interviewed ~500 people so far), and that they plan to interview into April.
Brinker,
Thanks for your info.
So the interview invites are over now?
Will they have another interview date by the end of March?
How can they fill out 60 seats in 03/14 /14 and another one if pissible?
How can they fill up the class if many of the accepted ones give up their seats to go to their first choice?

Brinker,
Thanks for your info.
So the interview invites are over now?
Will they have another interview date by the end of March?
How can they fill out 60 seats in 03/14 /14 and another one if pissible?
How can they fill up the class if many of the accepted ones give up their seats to go to their first choice?
Hopefully they fill the rest up with the waitlist! :D:xf:

Tapoona,
Do you remember the date or week and month of last year interview group and how long after interview you got the acceptance offer?
And how many interview date of that month? 1 or 1?
You can see how many interview days they have planned by looking here. http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/oms1-spring-schedule-14.pdf

Look at the top where the days of the week are.
They interview on Mondays and Fridays. Looks like 3/17, 4/4, 4/7, 4/11, 4/14, 4/25, 4/28 are the dates that are scheduled. I have no idea if they use up all their interview dates. If you don't have an interview invite yet, I would call/email them and tell them about your interest in the school and how you would love to check it out. Good luck!

You can see how many interview days they have planned by looking here. http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/oms1-spring-schedule-14.pdf

Look at the top where the days of the week are.
They interview on Mondays and Fridays. Looks like 3/17, 4/4, 4/7, 4/11, 4/14, 4/25, 4/28 are the dates that are scheduled. I have no idea if they use up all their interview dates. If you don't have an interview invite yet, I would call/email them and tell them about your interest in the school and how you would love to check it out. Good luck!
Brew,
Thanks for the info

This. We don't typically talk about our stats but it's clear that there's a pretty diverse spread in terms of stats. For the most part though, everyone's been pretty involved w/ school/community service in their past life and almost everyone is fairly sociable/nice (there are obviously some exceptions and this is a broad generalization). If you think you might have a shot, send in an application. You never know. I had similar stats and was placed on the waitlist, but it worked out for me. :) Good luck!

This. We don't typically talk about our stats but it's clear that there's a pretty diverse spread in terms of stats. For the most part though, everyone's been pretty involved w/ school/community service in their past life and almost everyone is fairly sociable/nice (there are obviously some exceptions and this is a broad generalization). If you think you might have a shot, send in an application. You never know. I had similar stats and was placed on the waitlist, but it worked out for me. :) Good luck!

Nice to know. This is what I loved about LMU that the current students are always saying encouraging words and are ready to help.

You can disagree with me all you want, I am not here to argue. Are there exceptions to the rule? Yes. You were an anomaly.

Other applicants who are not "Cookiesncreamm", trust me on my earlier statement. I think I may know a thing or two about what LMU's adcom is looking for in an applicant...

You can DM me with any questions.

You can disagree with me all you want, I am not here to argue. Are there exceptions to the rule? Yes. You were an anomaly.

Other applicants who are not "Cookiesncreamm", trust me on my earlier statement. I think I may know a thing or two about what LMU's adcom is looking for in an applicant...

You can DM me with any questions.

I had similar stats to OP with slightly higher on the MCAT and recieved an interview recently. I am not URM but I have expressed interest in the school and have solid ECs so maybe that was it, and kept them updated on my progress in school since the fall. I think sometimes if you are able to fill something they need, you have a chance. But also it may be time to pinpoint a weakness on your application and seek a solution.

That being said, I can only speak from my process and there are many on here, OP included who can probably give you a more realistic picture.

As one of my favorite movies says (more or less) I am betting I am more an exception than the rule

Last edited: