Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are several MD faculty that interview at DCOM...so definitely be aware of that.

^Truth. Honestly, the best way to approach this, in your interview and once you're out on rotations, or even discussing it with people out in the community that don't know the difference between MD/DO....is to do just this. Talk about the differences. But not how DO is superior. Because that is the honest to goodness truth. We have an extra tool in the toolbox. For every different and "better" DO, there's another MD that is just as fantastic with patients. And there are plenty of DOs with crappy bedisde manner that throw pills and never do OPP once they graduate.

This.

There are definitely multiple types of DOs just like there are multiple types of MDs. The DO I shadowed, for example, uses no OMM in his practice yet is still really involved in the DO community, so it all kind of depends.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you clarify what you mean about issues with getting rotations in competitive specialties? Not sure I'm following you there...competing for information?? The DCOM rotation experience will not, in my opinion, prevent you from getting rotations in competitive specialties. Maybe I can expand more once I understand what you're saying exactly...

As for living in a rural area....it just is what it is honestly. It's all relative to where you're from city size wise, what you like to do in your free time (which is almost next to none, so really it doesn't matter that much anyway lol), etc. I came from a town around 120,000 or so, so Harrogate was DEFINITELY an adjustment. However, some of my class came from Denver, Miami, Nashville etc and they survived as well :) There are LOTS of outdoor activities to get into. Tons of hiking, places to bike, etc. Within driving distance you can ski, whitewater raft, etc. Outdoor activities are not lacking for sure...time to do them is another question. As for nightlife...well...you may be sorely disappointed. I'm not sure of the current status of the one main bar in the Gap...it constantly changes ownership and names, but my class would always go there post exams. Most people, though, seemed to make the trek down to Knoxville with a group after a test, get dinner, go out etc. It's really not bad once you get used to the idea of it. Also, about 30 min away is a fun marina type restaurant/bar on the water. They do karaoke and have live music at times. The food is average at best, but the drinks are cold and the ambience is fun. I organized a big outing for a back to school thing second year and it was a lot of fun. You'll find that people tend to just throw house parties after exams. Keeps people from driving far and you're able to have a little more "fun" if you will :)

Other than that, there's a city park where people get together for sports stuff sometimes, there's a bowling alley, a movie theater (that has like 2 screens, mind you lol) and a building that they try to pass off as a mall, but is really just a few stores in one building :)

Anywho, the point is, it may be suffocating at times, but it's honestly a good setting for focusing on school. And it's BEAUTIFUL. On days where I was just really spent, there wasn't much that beat just stepping out on one of the balconies, taking in the view, breathing a few deep breaths...it was a great way to recharge during a stressful days.

Is it bad that when I saw your name as the last person that posted in this thread I got so so excited and had to come see what you said??!?! Just so you guys know GraceEuphoria is one of the reasons I ended up at DCOM and we all love her :). Anyway, I am at one of the new sites this year as well....there are definitely definitely some kinks, and I agree that DCOM has kind've dropped the ball in several areas. I think in general though, it isn't DCOM's fault...there needs to be more regulation and oversight from whoever is supposed to be making sure clinical education is up to par at schools. The problems we have here is not uncommon in the osteopathic world, and frankly, I think it's part of the reason why there is still discrimination in the match....allopathic programs just can't tell if you were lucky and got really good clinical education, or you ended up at a place taught by a nurse and never wrote a note (not DCOM, just anecdotally heard on the forums here).

If you have specific questions you can PM me. Overall, like the others, I am very happy with the preclinical education at DCOM...I think we are definitely ahead of the game when it comes to doing an H&P and actually critically thinking when it comes to diagnosis and treatment. My preceptor actually made a comment today about how she "finally" found something we didn't know and got excited about teaching us the concept. That's a pretty incredible compliment coming from someone who was involved in resident education elsewhere. And, honestly, even residents I've talked to say you won't know anything until you get to residency and to focus on being able to do a good H&P and we wil be fine. That being said, I do think we are getting a pretty good experience at my site. We have seen a lot of the stuff we need to see. Obviously there is a lot of variation among the different preceptors, but most of them like to teach and are very knowledgeable . Overall though, it isn't the site or the education that we are having problems with, it's the fact that a lot of the preceptors didn't realize they would have students every month and seem to be getting slightly overwhelmed. We are just afraid they will drop us altogether and we will have to scramble to find our own rotations. However, I believe this will be ironed out within the next year...but I'm afraid the solution is going to be to take less students here. Our class was the last class of the ~150 seat class and there are many of us that are worried for the upcoming classes that are much larger. Like I said, if you are considering osteopathic schools in general, this is should be an issue you are aware of and ready to handle...there is a lot of variation among the schools and even among the different rotation sites at schools, and your clinical education is going to be largely in your own hands. We have incredible students that do really well in the match, and your school (whether MD or DO) can only bring you so far. You have to do the rest.

I just heard calls have started going out already this morning......anybody hear any good news?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard calls have started going out already this morning......anybody hear any good news?

Not yet, but here's to be ultra paranoid until my phone rings now.

Where did you hear?

Sorry guys, didn't mean to startle you. The individual who heard back today goes to undergrad here and knows a looot of people here. Probably why he got the call back early. I'm sure calls will start flowing soon.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Sorry guys, didn't mean to startle you. The individual who heard back today goes to undergrad here and knows a looot of people here. Probably why he got the call back early. I'm sure calls will start flowing soon.

Good luck!
Man! Way to raise some BPs out there. :)

Is it bad that when I saw your name as the last person that posted in this thread I got so so excited and had to come see what you said??!?! Just so you guys know GraceEuphoria is one of the reasons I ended up at DCOM and we all love her :). Anyway, I am at one of the new sites this year as well....there are definitely definitely some kinks, and I agree that DCOM has kind've dropped the ball in several areas. I think in general though, it isn't DCOM's fault...there needs to be more regulation and oversight from whoever is supposed to be making sure clinical education is up to par at schools. The problems we have here is not uncommon in the osteopathic world, and frankly, I think it's part of the reason why there is still discrimination in the match....allopathic programs just can't tell if you were lucky and got really good clinical education, or you ended up at a place taught by a nurse and never wrote a note (not DCOM, just anecdotally heard on the forums here).

If you have specific questions you can PM me. Overall, like the others, I am very happy with the preclinical education at DCOM...I think we are definitely ahead of the game when it comes to doing an H&P and actually critically thinking when it comes to diagnosis and treatment. My preceptor actually made a comment today about how she "finally" found something we didn't know and got excited about teaching us the concept. That's a pretty incredible compliment coming from someone who was involved in resident education elsewhere. And, honestly, even residents I've talked to say you won't know anything until you get to residency and to focus on being able to do a good H&P and we wil be fine. That being said, I do think we are getting a pretty good experience at my site. We have seen a lot of the stuff we need to see. Obviously there is a lot of variation among the different preceptors, but most of them like to teach and are very knowledgeable . Overall though, it isn't the site or the education that we are having problems with, it's the fact that a lot of the preceptors didn't realize they would have students every month and seem to be getting slightly overwhelmed. We are just afraid they will drop us altogether and we will have to scramble to find our own rotations. However, I believe this will be ironed out within the next year...but I'm afraid the solution is going to be to take less students here. Our class was the last class of the ~150 seat class and there are many of us that are worried for the upcoming classes that are much larger. Like I said, if you are considering osteopathic schools in general, this is should be an issue you are aware of and ready to handle...there is a lot of variation among the schools and even among the different rotation sites at schools, and your clinical education is going to be largely in your own hands. We have incredible students that do really well in the match, and your school (whether MD or DO) can only bring you so far. You have to do the rest.

I love how you collectively speak for others and say "we" love her :p

It's so funny. I wish I could draw a graph over time showing my activity level on SDN pre-med school, during the first three years, and follow it through til graduation. It's like, I ate, slept and breathed this website before getting in. I couldn't find a moment to even think about during the first three years...because yes, third year is a lot of work really lol. And now that residency apps are in, I'm just over here twiddling my thumbs. I deactivated FB and after 100 new pins a day on Pinterest, what's a girl to do? Prep for interview season by stalking SDN, of course. :)

Man! Way to raise some BPs out there. :)

I love how you collectively speak for others and say "we" love her :p

It's so funny. I wish I could draw a graph over time showing my activity level on SDN pre-med school, during the first three years, and follow it through til graduation. It's like, I ate, slept and breathed this website before getting in. I couldn't find a moment to even think about during the first three years...because yes, third year is a lot of work really lol. And now that residency apps are in, I'm just over here twiddling my thumbs. I deactivated FB and after 100 new pins a day on Pinterest, what's a girl to do? Prep for interview season by stalking SDN, of course. :)

AHHHH I'm so jealous. I tried to message you on facebook and was like duuude confused. But, I guess that was smart :). However, we NEED to talk about residency apps and stuff k?Seeing as I am most likely gonna be following your footsteps in a year. OH MAN. 1 year. (apparently I have decided that we are taking over this thread). GOOD LUCK with apps! I'm sure I will be sending you an e-mail (like...today) asking you 843987397493734 questions. I am also obviously procrastinating studying for the IM comat...which I waited till the second month to do...whoops. For any of you applying, send me a PM and ask me questions to distract me!

I got my acceptance call this morning! I'm withdrawing from my other interviews.

I got my acceptance call this morning! I'm withdrawing from my other interviews.

I am guessing you are the one that attends LMU? It's starting to look like we will have to wait til next week

Members don't see this ad :)
I am guessing you are the one that attends LMU? It's starting to look like we will have to wait til next week

The calls have went out to a couple more people I know. It can take a while where they are busy.

The calls have went out to a couple more people I know. It can take a while where they are busy.

This anticipation is killing me today! Do you all know if they ever spread the calls out over multiple days?

This anticipation is killing me today! Do you all know if they ever spread the calls out over multiple days?

I have heard of people getting calls as late as 8 PM.

Both of the above are very possible and have been known to happen. And in the past, it was common for some students to get a phone call and others to just find out by letter. Janette has a spiel at interviews, so I'm sure she told you, "Now if you get a letter and never got a phone call...don't just go and rip it up!" :)

Congrats on the acceptances!

Did anyone get interview invite calls today?

My phone hath ringeth!!! Accepted!!!!!! Absolutely thrilled!!

There is hope for all those with low MCATs..

My MCAT: 23 with a 6 in VR....

AND I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!

Congrats everyone!

/anxiously hopes my phone rings :scared:

No phone call for me. Here's to hoping Monday brings good news :luck:

Congratulations everyone. I'm going to withdraw from my other interviews. LMU-DCOM is my home!

Congrats on the acceptances! Just wondering if anyone got any ethical/otherwise tricky questions in the interview?

The interview is very relaxed. The faculty is extremely nice and they make the interview seem just like a normal everyday conversation. The school itself is absolutely beautiful. If you're offered an interview I highly suggest giving this school a chance.

Congrats on the acceptances! Just wondering if anyone got any ethical/otherwise tricky questions in the interview?

I got one question that threw me for a loop but I wouldn't call it an ethical question. More of a what would you do or a how would you handle 'x' situation type of question.

Just be yourself, Answer honestly, remember there is no wrong answer!

Hey, guys! This is my first post on SDN even though I've been creeping hard today to see if people were getting calls. :)
I interviewed September 6th, and I got my call today at 6:30pm!! I'm 99% sure I'll be attending LMU, as I'm withdrawing most of my other applications, so I'll be seeing you guys in July!! Glad to see other early interviewees who are going with LMU too!

They do ask an ethical/situational question. But they're not trying to trick you or anything. Just answer what you would do, and back it up.

Best case scenario is that I just didn't get a phone call but still get accepted via snail mail, although it seems like they called a lot of folks today :( Second best option is a high waitlist.

Oh well, I'll try not to stress this weekend and see what happens.

Congrats to all again!

Best case scenario is that I just didn't get a phone call but still get accepted via snail mail, although it seems like they called a lot of folks today :( Second best option is a high waitlist.

Congrats to all again!

yeah, just wait it out! my call wasn't from the dean, so maybe there were a few people making calls, and they just called whenever they could? the right thing will work out for you. :) good luck!

Congrats to all again!

FYI in the past, there was never a ranked waitlist. Each time they re-evaluate your application, you're just on a level playing field theoretically. So maintain contact, update your application when it applies, etc. Send a letter of intent if it's truly your number 1. Point being, just because you get waitlisted at DCOM doesn't mean it's the end of the world. It's so early. On the same token, someone who gets waitlisted there at the end of the season has a fair chance as getting pulled off as well, so just keep that in mind.

Congratulations to all of those accepted! The long road is over and now the longer road begins. However, the weed-out is over and that alone is worth a big, long, well-deserved sight of relief. Now, I don't know how I'm going to tell you this, but for those of you who still have two semesters of undergrad (like I did when I was accepted) you're gonna REALLY struggle to focus on it all. lol.

To those who either don't get accepted or waitlisted - you will not be the first or last medical student to receive a rejection and/or go through a waitlist process. Notice I said medical student. The fact you're on SDN researching and asking us thought provoking questions says a lot about your motivations. You'll all succeed - just don't give up!

The following scenario is true of any school. It's also theoretical as I've never served on an ADCOM, clearly, but it has always made sense to me. An ADCOM/Admissions Office has in front of them 5 applications and they need to pull from the waitlist one person. Of those 5, one of the applicants has sent in updates every month or so to add extracurriculars, new grades, a new LOR, etc. The other 4 haven't even contacted the school since they were WL'd. Who would you accept? ;)

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far! I know it is early in the process but I hope you decide to come here. This really is a great school! I do not regret my decision to come here at all!

I am currently a first year and am happy to answer any questions you have about the application process, interview process, or questions about the school in general. You can shoot me a PM. I am happy to provide info or give advice if wanted!

Could some of the current students involved in the pizza night This weekend PM me with more details?

Congratulations to all of those accepted! The long road is over and now the longer road begins. However, the weed-out is over and that alone is worth a big, long, well-deserved sight of relief. Now, I don't know how I'm going to tell you this, but for those of you who still have two semesters of undergrad (like I did when I was accepted) you're gonna REALLY struggle to focus on it all. lol.

To those who either don't get accepted or waitlisted - you will not be the first or last medical student to receive a rejection and/or go through a waitlist process. Notice I said medical student. The fact you're on SDN researching and asking us thought provoking questions says a lot about your motivations. You'll all succeed - just don't give up!

The following scenario is true of any school. It's also theoretical as I've never served on an ADCOM, clearly, but it has always made sense to me. An ADCOM/Admissions Office has in front of them 5 applications and they need to pull from the waitlist one person. Of those 5, one of the applicants has sent in updates every month or so to add extracurriculars, new grades, a new LOR, etc. The other 4 haven't even contacted the school since they were WL'd. Who would you accept? ;)

:thumbup::thumbup: Agreed. Great way of putting it!

And WOOHOO... got the acceptance call last night as well! SO excited about LMU!

Good luck to those that are waiting to hear.

I had a 23 MCAT on my app as well. 6 in PS.I have a retake but they did not recieve that info yet. It IS possible to get in with a 23. I have also been offered 3 other interviews.

NEVER GIVE UP!!!

I had a 23 MCAT on my app as well. 6 in PS.I have a retake but they did not recieve that info yet. It IS possible to get in with a 23. I have also been offered 3 other interviews.

NEVER GIVE UP!!!

All of these 23's are getting into LMU...can I join? Ha. Probably not....I am a few weeks behind you guys in the app process. Those few weeks probably meant everything.

I had a 23 MCAT on my app as well. 6 in PS.I have a retake but they did not recieve that info yet. It IS possible to get in with a 23.

As a current DCOM student, this kinda makes me upset. 23? My school is accepting people with 23s? I don't know what the rest of your application looked like, but I really hope that this isn't further evidence my school is dropping standards in order to fill their recently doubled class size.

I realize you're happy about getting into school- and good for you, truly. ...But realize that in 3-4 years you are going to be thinking about ways you can maximize the perceived legitimacy of your medical training, and noticeably low admission standards (23 is low, sorry but it is) does not help.

As a current DCOM student, this kinda makes me upset. 23? My school is accepting people with 23s? I don't know what the rest of your application looked like, but I really hope that this isn't further evidence my school is dropping standards in order to fill their recently doubled class size.

I realize you're happy about getting into school- and good for you, truly. ...But realize that in 3-4 years you are going to be thinking about ways you can maximize the perceived legitimacy of your medical training, and noticeably low admission standards (23 is low, sorry but it is) does not help.

Guessing a few more answers right on a test which includes physics and a lot of things we don't need is not exactly proof of incompetence as a medical student or doctor.

Reactions: 1 user

I bet he or she will perform better than a lot of students in his/her class...even students with 27+ MCAT scores.

Reactions: 1 user