Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if any OMS-III or OMS-IV could comment on the rotation sites and the hospital affiliations of LMU. I have yet to read a single negative thing about the school, and I love the school's professional, yet warm attitude toward applicants and their family-friendly approach. However, I'm wondering if the school possess solid clinical affiliations, especially that (from what I've been told) they have experiened a boost in number of seats over the past few years.
I spoke to a recent grad and he said he did rotations with Vanderbilt med students in the Nashville area.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if any OMS-III or OMS-IV could comment on the rotation sites and the hospital affiliations of LMU. I have yet to read a single negative thing about the school, and I love the school's professional, yet warm attitude toward applicants and their family-friendly approach. However, I'm wondering if the school possess solid clinical affiliations, especially that (from what I've been told) they have experiened a boost in number of seats over the past few years.

Clinical affiliations are hit and miss. Unfortunately dcom doesn't have the best track record when it comes to dealing with rotation sites. Possibly because two people manage every third and fourth year student spread out over several sites. Hopefully this will improve as they are hiring new people to help this spring.
Some people like the ability to do rotations wherever they want, like going back home or whatever. This can come with problems in itself where you rotate with a doc that isn't used to teaching and a patient population that isn't used to be used as a learning tool. Basically you can end up acting as a glorified doctor shadow. Of course you can end up with amazing preceptors, but the risk is there.
I hate to use this cliche but.... It's what you make of it. It can seem frustrating though when your rotation set up for Monday falls through on Friday night leaving you scrambling to find something else.

Just got an II today, looks like I will be there Sept. 9! This should be fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here!
Didn't know which format it's going to be so I played it safe and booked October lol

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

Congrats on the interviews. The 16th is an exam day (as of now), so you may not get to see the anatomy lab but you will probably see the stress in the eyes of the students.

But, it is very relaxed interview and from what I can tell so far, a great school.

Good luck.

Sent my LORs about a week ago. How long does it take to geta complete email? Still havent heard anything.

Booked at the Holiday Inn Express near the school. Unfortunately, it's going to be another trip where I arrive very late at night and leave immediately after the interview, so I won't be able to meet anyone at the meet and greet :(

Hope to meet more SDN people next week!

Will someone that is interviewing on the 6th, please message me the meet and greet info? I do not have publisher and cannot open the document. Please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just sent an email to cancel my interview on the sept 16th. Contact them if you were hoping to get that date

Also canceling my Sept 16th interview. Got into Campbell and love it! Good luck to all!

Anybody have trouble moving around within the secondary app??

I am able to log in and get to the first page with the name and contact info, but cannot move on to the other parts of the app, Family/Work Experiences, Writing/References, etc...

I click on "Save and Continue" button or "Save Application" but nothing happens. :confused:

Thank you for being considerate of those who could use an interview spot.

When I see people holding multiple acceptances and still interviewing I shake my head. If you do your research first, you know the schools you want to be at. CUSOM and ACOM are at the top for me. I interview at ACOM this Friday. Had one at Nova last week. No need for me to take the other slots that are further from home. Anyways I hope the best to everyone!!! That acceptance email is better than all your life presents rolled into one! (I may frame mine lol!)

When I see people holding multiple acceptances and still interviewing I shake my head. If you do your research first, you know the schools you want to be at. CUSOM and ACOM are at the top for me. I interview at ACOM this Friday. Had one at Nova last week. No need for me to take the other slots that are further from home. Anyways I hope the best to everyone!!! That acceptance email is better than all your life presents rolled into one! (I may frame mine lol!)

I'll be canceling my interview here as well shortly. I'm holding a couple but am only doing so because I wanted to visit my top five to really get a feel for actually being in the atmosphere of the school. Just two more to go. And congrats on the acceptance, so excited for you!

I hear ya. Especially some famous guy on these boards. :D

I framed my college letter and have a spot saved for my med school one.

There is nothing wrong with interviewing at multiple schools and holding multiple acceptances. My interviewer at Nova even told me to continue with my interviews and compare each school with what Nova has to offer.

I can do all the research I want online but nothing will compare with actually visiting the school and seeing what they have to offer, how you fit in with the atmosphere etc.

If I get accepted to Nova within the next couple weeks, or if LMU gives us a quick response after my interview next week, I certainly will cancel the slots at schools I couldn't see myself attending over Nova or LMU, but if they are within the same tier or above for my rankings, I will give them their fair shot.

Got ya. I know part of what you are saying as I loved CUSOM and disliked Nova, which was a surprise. But at some point you know where you want to be. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in this cycle, but know of a couple people personally who went to every single interview and held every acceptance just bc they could. Was it their right? Sure. But was it ethical? That's the question.

Anyone on the 4th of October for interview?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

Reviewed my secondary for LMU-DCOM and realized I used the masculine "he" instead of a gender neutral term :(

Was describing the role of a physician in a team and mentioned "he is a component of a...."

Quite upset at this. No idea how it slipped past my proof reading :(

Reviewed my secondary for LMU-DCOM and realized I used the masculine "he" instead of a gender neutral term :(

Was describing the role of a physician in a team and mentioned "he is a component of a...."

Quite upset at this. No idea how it slipped past my proof reading :(

If you weren't so busy trying to place the world under mass hypnosis maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Or then again...you could be trying to stop it! :laugh:

Just emailed to cancel my interview on 9/16 and withdraw my app. Hopefully this helps someone out in here! Good luck all!

Congrats on the interviews! When were you guys complete?

ii!!! Scheduled for Oct 25th but may need to re-schedule because it's volleyball season. I was complete 8/20, from IL.

anyone not hear back yet? I got the complete e-mail 8/19, and still haven't heard anything. Should i assume its probably a no?
stats: gpa:3.41 sgpa:3.36 mcat:26

anyone not hear back yet? I got the complete e-mail 8/19, and still haven't heard anything. Should i assume its probably a no?

Your stats are better than mine and I got an ii. I was complete in prob early Aug. I don't know what the selection criteria is based off of but I would just be patient. They just started giving ii's and as you can see a lot of others cancelled. Assume nothing this early!

Same situation as you. Still way too early to say it means a no.

Any tips for those of us interviewing on Friday?

It's a piece of cake. Just don't be weird and you are probably going to get an acceptance. The professors and clinical staff are very nice and they want you to attend. The questions they ask have no wrong answers, so just answer truthfully. They can tell when you give them some BS about loving rural primary care so if you want to be a plastic surgeon, just tell them you want to be a plastic surgeon. You might want an answer about why you want to be a DO plastic surgeon, but again, you can't be wrong if you are sincere.

Well I guess you can be wrong if you answer in a horrendous manner... So don't do that.

It's a piece of cake. Just don't be weird and you are probably going to get an acceptance. The professors and clinical staff are very nice and they want you to attend. The questions they ask have no wrong answers, so just answer truthfully. They can tell when you give them some BS about loving rural primary care so if you want to be a plastic surgeon, just tell them you want to be a plastic surgeon. You might want an answer about why you want to be a DO plastic surgeon, but again, you can't be wrong if you are sincere.

Well I guess you can be wrong if you answer in a horrendous manner... So don't do that.

LMU isn't a PCP focused school? I haven't experienced every aspect of medicine, so I can't claim to know exactly what field I want to go into, but I was told to say I was primary care focused.

LMU isn't a PCP focused school? I haven't experienced every aspect of medicine, so I can't claim to know exactly what field I want to go into, but I was told to say I was primary care focused.

That's what I thought.

I'm pretty sure if you say that you wanted to be a plastic surgeon you will get rejected. It's very clear on the school's website that graduating PCP's is one of their top priorities. Therefore, despite that you may change your mind down the road, you need to go in with a mind set that you want to pursue primary care medicine.

LOL. You guys are funny. First off, all DO schools are primary care oriented and most DOs end up in primary care. That doesn't mean you have to want to go into primary care to get into DO school.
If you have a good reason why you want to be a DO plastic surgeon, they aren't going to reject you. It might be difficult coming up with a good reason why you want to be a plastic surgeon DO that attends DCOM, but if you have a good reason then they certainly won't kick you out. The school has a POD (Plastics/Otorhino/Derm) club for crying out loud.
If you don't know what kind of doctor you want to be, say exactly that. That's what I said and they didn't reject me.

Really, they know what it's about. Dr Teitelbaum even pokes fun at the fact that everyone wants to practice rural primary care until the first semester is over.

Just be honest, unless your goal is to make big money.

See match results
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/residency-placement-2013-brochure.pdf

LOL. You guys are funny. First off, all DO schools are primary care oriented and most DOs end up in primary care. That doesn't mean you have to want to go into primary care to get into DO school.
If you have a good reason why you want to be a DO plastic surgeon, they aren't going to reject you. It might be difficult coming up with a good reason why you want to be a plastic surgeon DO that attends DCOM, but if you have a good reason then they certainly won't kick you out. The school has a POD (Plastics/Otorhino/Derm) club for crying out loud.
If you don't know what kind of doctor you want to be, say exactly that. That's what I said and they didn't reject me.

Really, they know what it's about. Dr Teitelbaum even pokes fun at the fact that everyone wants to practice rural primary care until the first semester is over.

Just be honest, unless your goal is to make big money.

See match results
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/residency-placement-2013-brochure.pdf

Thanks for the info. I wasn't attempting to be combative, I wanted to make sure telling them didn't know what area I wanted to specialize in was adequate or if I needed to claim primary care as had been suggested.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't attempting to be combative, I wanted to make sure telling them didn't know what area I wanted to specialize in was adequate or if I needed to claim primary care as had been suggested.

Nah, you had the perfect answer. Some people just know what they want to go into and have for years, good for them. Others don't want to make that decision without getting a taste of everything they can. Maybe you will get an idea during classes in first and second year or maybe during a rotation in third or fourth year. Nobody will fault you for keeping an open mind.

All I'm saying is, be genuine, don't just tell them what you think they want to hear.

If I get an interview invite within the next 2 weeks, is it possible to interview like 2 weeks after the invite? Or do we have to wait longer? I want to interview as soon as possible lol

If I get an interview invite within the next 2 weeks, is it possible to interview like 2 weeks after the invite? Or do we have to wait longer? I want to interview as soon as possible lol
I'm not real sure how it works. They gave me two dates for next week, and I chose Monday. I am sure you can ask them about a later date.

I'm not real sure how it works. They gave me two dates for next week, and I chose Monday. I am sure you can ask them about a later date.

How long was it after your secondary that you received your ii?

When they called me she said they already had openings for the following week so you should be able to get in quick.

Hi everyone. Just submitted my primary, and this school is pretty high on my list.

Question:

I have read EVERYWHERE that LMU specifically requires a DO LOR. However, on the official Admissions PDF they state they only require "One Physician Letter", no degree specified. I feel that they would have listed DO here if they required at the very least 1 DO letter.

Any input would be fantastic. I shadowed a DO last summer, had an incredible experience, but the guy has fallen off the face of the planet. And unfortunately there are extremely few DO's in my extended area (I've called each of them at least twice -- no return). I'm very stressed about this.

EDIT: And just to add, I'm working on the secondary now and it states that they require a letter from EITHER an M.D. or D.O. My hopes are up. Don't let me down, SDN.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Just submitted my primary, and this school is pretty high on my list.

Question:

I have read EVERYWHERE that LMU specifically requires a DO LOR. However, on the official Admissions PDF they state they only require "One Physician Letter", no degree specified. I feel that they would have listed DO here if they required at the very least 1 DO letter.

Your interpretation is correct. Unless something has changed they don't require a DO letter. They used to but that changed the year that I applied (2011). I recall Janette mentioning that the school understood some people aren't in areas with a large DO contingent in practice so it wasn't easy for some to meet this requirement. Go with what the school's website says. You should know these pages inside and out and the answer to this question is there: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/admissions/letters.shtml