Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am so depressed and lost. I had the same kind of stats as Osteopath999 but placed on a pre-interview hold. This was my top choice and I thought my MCAT score and GPA would be good enough to get me an II. When I called on how I can remedy this hold, I was told there was literally nothing I can do. The only kind of updates they said they wanted was if I published a paper, shadowed a DO/lor, or significant volunteering. Specifically told me to not update them about the jobs I am doing (medical lab and hotel shuttle driver). The person who told me this didn't event bother to look up my mcat score or gpa.What made it even more depressing was that they told me to wait till spring you might get an II. How in the world will I have a better chance in the spring when most of the seats will be filled? Really loved the people, school, and area when I visited last fall but really disappointed by the admissions staff's advice.

I wish I could get in contact with Ms.Martin and Dr.Leo.

Should I make an appointment with Ms.Martin and meet her at DCOM in person?
I believe that DCOM really looks at who you are, what your background is, and where you come from, what your mission of learning medicine, what you have done for your passion of learning medicine beside all the numerical stats. If you truly are the one they are looking for, then you are all set ! That is the reason why I love DCOM... they also do give opportunities to those who really try hard and work hard restlessly for passion of learning medicine. If they can see all of those qualities in an applicant, so why not give that person a chance to prove it at the interview which confirms all the qualities they have learned about this applicant through paper and pen.

My advice to you to get off the hold is to show them that you really want to be there, want to be a part of DCOM family by consistently updating them with all of your new ECs, new grades, even extra letters of recommendation. Do everything you can, and this will show them ur interest in the school. Be patient and Good luck !

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that DCOM really looks at who you are, what your background is, and where you come from, what your mission of learning medicine, what you have done for your passion of learning medicine beside all the numerical stats. If you truly are the one they are looking for, then you are all set ! That is the reason why I love DCOM... they also do give opportunities to those who really try hard and work hard restlessly for passion of learning medicine. If they can see all of those qualities in an applicant, so why not give that person a chance to prove it at the interview which confirms all the qualities they have learned about this applicant through paper and pen.

My advice to you to get off the hold is to show them that you really want to be there, want to be a part of DCOM family by consistently updating them with all of your new ECs, new grades, even extra letters of recommendation. Do everything you can, and this will show them ur interest in the school. Be patient and Good luck !

Thanks for the advice. Congratulations on the acceptance. Unfortunately I am in a gap year and already completed my bachelor. There is a severe lack of DOs in my city and the ones that are available don't allow students to shadow. Its hell trying to find a FM physician to shadow. Sad that the best way I can convey my desire and motivation for medical school depends on how well I can write or pay some one else to do it, when I am much better at speaking about it face to face. But I guess that just the way it is.

Hopefully I will get some love at other schools soon...

Congrats to all of you that got accepted! I called in today to update my application on a LOR that I have recently gotten, and guess what? Robin basically said, "You are due for an interview, sooooo when would you like to schedule it?" OMG. I am sooo excited!!! I am scheduled for the 11/10 interview date! Anyone else on her gonna be joining me? I'm going to be flying in from NJ, so by any luck and coincidence, anyone here on SDN from NJ, and is scheduled to interview on 11/10? HAHA. what are the chances of that happening right?

IM SOOO DAMN EXCITEDDD!!! :clap:

For those of you wondering about the waiting period and stats, I was complete on 9/24, and "heard back" today (10/17).
Stats: MCAT 30 (11PS-9VR-10BS), Undergrad cGPA - 2.9, Graduate cGPA - 3.88
2 Years as an active EMT, 1 year as a Medical ER Scribe, Research experience at the Grad School, and Shadowing Experience from both DOs and MDs. NJ-Resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the area/town is like? Is there public transportation or do people mostly drive around?

Does anyone know what the area/town is like? Is there public transportation or do people mostly drive around?

haha public transportation? there is like one traffic light. people drive themselves around

Reactions: 1 user
Gave up my spot for the end of the month. GL everyone!

Last edited:
haha public transportation? there is like one traffic light. people drive themselves around
Shoot, idk how to drive, lol. Will have to consider how id get around when I go for the interview and if I get accepted.

Does anyone know if we would get a complete email from admissions once our LORs are received? I completed my supplementary and sent my LORs two weeks ago. Not sure if they don't tell you everything is received or the letters got lost.

I don't know if this was posted, I very easily could of missed it. But the Middlesboro, KY hotel offers the discounted rate ($75) only for the night before your interview. If you are staying two nights, the second night will be at their normal rate ($101).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we would get a complete email from admissions once our LORs are received? I completed my supplementary and sent my LORs two weeks ago. Not sure if they don't tell you everything is received or the letters got lost.
They do send you a completion email once they have receieved all the required materials/documents !

Does LMU do pre-interview rejections?
I believe they do, they cannot interview all the applicants ! They only interview about 10% or so of the applicant pool. I was told that each year they receive about 4500 applications and interview about 500 or so.

I don't know if this was posted, I very easily could of missed it. But the Middlesboro, KY hotel offers the discounted rate ($75) only for the night before your interview. If you are staying two nights, the second night will be at their normal rate ($101).
Most hotels only offer 1 day discount. Check out Days Inn in Middlesboro for about $60/day plus you will get 15% off if you come for LMU interview (not sure if it is also 1 day only) because I booked room at Days Inn through a 3rd party website so I didnt get the discount. It is only 3-4 miles or so from school, very close and convenient ! They also serve free breakfast in the morning.

They do send you a completion email once they have receieved all the required materials/documents !
Since it's been two weeks, should I email to ask about my application? Or it usually takes more time for processing.

I believe they do, they cannot interview all the applicants ! They only interview about 10% or so of the applicant pool. I was told that each year they receive about 4500 applications and interview about 500 or so.

Right. Sorry, I should clarify: Do they send out rejection emails promptly, or do they wait until the end of the interview season?

Since it's been two weeks, should I email to ask about my application? Or it usually takes more time for processing.
At this time, it may take longer. But sure ! I also suggest you to give the admission staff a phone call to make sure everything is fine ! Only admission staffs know what is going on, they are always willing to assist you during your application !

Got my interview and set it up for Monday Nov 3rd !!! anyone going that is going to stay more than just the night before that wants to split the costs of a room in middlesboro or somewhere else?

Got into the 10/31 interview. Hope to see some of y'all there.

Right. Sorry, I should clarify: Do they send out rejection emails promptly, or do they wait until the end of the interview season?
I dont know the exact answer. However, From my own personal point of view, at this time it is still early to send out rejections, but they may send rejections promptly to a few applicants they dont pick or who have very weak stats . This is just my thought, and only DCOM admission staffs know exactly what is going on !

I dont know the exact answer. However, From my own personal point of view, at this time it is still early to send out rejections, but they may send rejections promptly to a few applicants they dont pick or who have very weak stats . This is just my thought, and only DCOM admission staffs know exactly what is going on !

There is such much uncertainty in this process. It sucks! Haha. Thanks for your input!

On the portal where there is an area for Supplemental Items, I am marked complete but this page is blank. Is that where they are suppose to let you know of the letters of rec that they have received or is it intentionally blank?

Last edited:
For those that have interviewed, what is the day's schedule like? What time did you guys finish up by?

For those that have interviewed, what is the day's schedule like? What time did you guys finish up by?
You'll be done after lunch. There is an optional tour of the apartments if you choose to go on it. It'll take another hour or so if you go on that.

Hey so my stats are:
sGPA 3.91
cGPA 3.87
MCAT- August 22(9B 7P 6V)and May 22(9B 9P 4V)

I have been working full time through my undergrad as a store manager and as a Pharmacy Technician later. I also have bunch of community/clinical volunteering and lot of leadership roles.
I am also a licensed Pharmacist in India and did my undergrad again after moving here.
I have applied to LMU-DCOM and have submitted everything by 6th October 2014. I just wanted to know if I stand a good chance or not.

I am so depressed and lost. I had the same kind of stats as Osteopath999 but placed on a pre-interview hold. This was my top choice and I thought my MCAT score and GPA would be good enough to get me an II. When I called on how I can remedy this hold, I was told there was literally nothing I can do. The only kind of updates they said they wanted was if I published a paper, shadowed a DO/lor, or significant volunteering. Specifically told me to not update them about the jobs I am doing (medical lab and hotel shuttle driver). The person who told me this didn't event bother to look up my mcat score or gpa.What made it even more depressing was that they told me to wait till spring you might get an II. How in the world will I have a better chance in the spring when most of the seats will be filled? Really loved the people, school, and area when I visited last fall but really disappointed by the admissions staff's advice.

I wish I could get in contact with Ms.Martin and Dr.Leo.

Should I make an appointment with Ms.Martin and meet her at DCOM in person?

I think you have received lots of good advice from many other students. Do exactly what they said, that is your best chance of moving your application forward and off the hold. I would not annoy them. That is the last thing you want to do and reporting all EC's is not recommended. Only add things to your application that are of significant importance. As they said, research publication, significant shadowing, impressive grade updates, etc. Doing a service project and then calling to add it to your application may just bother the admissions department. Unfortunately, the hold status is a part of the application game, but it is one that every school has to play in order to get students into their school. thousands of applicants, and only so many spots. If you truly want medicine, you will not let this discourage you and you will do what you can (what was recommended) to get in. That may even mean that you reevaluate your competitiveness and take the next year to better your application and reapply. I would not recommend that you contact Dr. Leo or Mrs. Martin. They are busy and really don't want to be contacted from applicants in hopes that this will give them an "in" with the school. If anything, this could hurt your chances of getting accepted. Best thing right now is to push on, find weaknesses in your application and refine it. Prepare for the worse, and hope for the best. Good luck, sorry if this is not the recommendation you asked for, but have hope, all is not lost. A hold is not a rejection. As Tapoona said, you can get a late interview and still have a great chance of being accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got in for the interview on the 31st!

Just got an email confirmation about my AACOMAS primary having been received. I've submitted my supplementary previously but it doesn't have the LMU-DCOM ID. Do I need to email them about this or the admissions will automatically associate my primary with my supplementary?

Just got an email confirmation about my AACOMAS primary having been received. I've submitted my supplementary previously but it doesn't have the LMU-DCOM ID. Do I need to email them about this or the admissions will automatically associate my primary with my supplementary?

They'll connect the two. I didn't have my LMU ID and they sorted it.

I think you have received lots of good advice from many other students. Do exactly what they said, that is your best chance of moving your application forward and off the hold. I would not annoy them. That is the last thing you want to do and reporting all EC's is not recommended. Only add things to your application that are of significant importance. As they said, research publication, significant shadowing, impressive grade updates, etc. Doing a service project and then calling to add it to your application may just bother the admissions department. Unfortunately, the hold status is a part of the application game, but it is one that every school has to play in order to get students into their school. thousands of applicants, and only so many spots. If you truly want medicine, you will not let this discourage you and you will do what you can (what was recommended) to get in. That may even mean that you reevaluate your competitiveness and take the next year to better your application and reapply. I would not recommend that you contact Dr. Leo or Mrs. Martin. They are busy and really don't want to be contacted from applicants in hopes that this will give them an "in" with the school. If anything, this could hurt your chances of getting accepted. Best thing right now is to push on, find weaknesses in your application and refine it. Prepare for the worse, and hope for the best. Good luck, sorry if this is not the recommendation you asked for, but have hope, all is not lost. A hold is not a rejection. As Tapoona said, you can get a late interview and still have a great chance of being accepted.

Thanks for the reply. Just received my first II today from another school.I will just patiently wait. Can't do any of those activities as I am not in school.

Just got an interview invite today. I called to check on my application cause I have been completed since 9/17 and they told me to schedule my interview which I did. Not sure why I didn't get the II by email... Heard good things about this school!

Of all the people they interview, what percentage get accepted?

Class of 240 accept 1.5-2x class size and interview approx 600 supposedly.

JUST GOT THE CALL...ACCEPTED!!! interviewed on 10/20, last Monday.

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted via phone call just now!!!!:D Interviewed 10/17

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone getting IIs in December? It seems that all the November days are filled.

Got accepted yesterday via phone call!! I interviewed 10/17.

Hey guys! What questions did they ask you at the 30 min interviews....just want to prepare myself!! :)

and if anyone is interviewing on 10/31 ....do you know what time we meet up with students at the Gondolier Italian Restaurant?

Hey guys! What questions did they ask you at the 30 min interviews....just want to prepare myself!! :)

Mine was VERY casual, and in fact, lasted for roughly an hour. They ask the typical questions: why DCOM, why medicine, tell me about yourself, strength/weakness, and any life changing moments. However, the interview was incredibly conversational; it was the most well-conducted interview I've been on yet. For me, once they realized I just came to talk and not put on a front, they started to open up, and the interview became more like a, "hey, let's get to know each other" rather than a high pressure situation.

If you go in there willing to talk, be personable, and just flat out enjoy your time, you'll get an acceptance. and remember...SMILE. nobody wants a grumpy student, colleague, or doctor.

Is there anyone else who hasn't been called from the 10/17 or 10/20 interview groups? I didn't get any call and was wondering if they've already finished informing the accepted applicants or if I still have some hope.

Congratulations to those who have been accepted! All of you in my group (10/17) definitely seemed to deserve it.