Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
26 (B10 / V8 / P8) 3.65 cum, (science gpa slips my mind at the moment, but it is not too far off). I've worked full time since May 2013 as ER scribe. Great letters. Research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone remember how long it took for LMU to receive and sort your letters? The physician that filled out my letter mailed it from Knoxville on Tuesday and LMU still doesn't have it. I'm really anxious about it because my physician recommendation is the only part of my application that isn't complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also was fortunate to have received an acceptance call today. Congratulations to everyone else!

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone remember how long it took for LMU to receive and sort your letters? The physician that filled out my letter mailed it from Knoxville on Tuesday and LMU still doesn't have it. I'm really anxious about it because my physician recommendation is the only part of my application that isn't complete.

I would say wait till next Monday and kindly send them an email to ask (the admission email). If the email won't be answered in 2 days, you should call either Robin Lamb or Robin Mace to ask!

Don't wait for too long like me!

I would say wait till next Monday and kindly send them an email to ask (the admission email). If the email won't be answered in 2 days, you should call either Robin Lamb or Robin Mace to ask!

Don't wait for too long like me!
Do you mean this upcoming Monday or next Monday? lol And what happened with your situation? I'm quite concerned because the letter was mailed from Knoxville and its not in Harrogate after four business days, it shouldn't take more than a day or two for it to make it to Harrogate . . .

Do you mean this upcoming Monday or next Monday? lol And what happened with your situation? I'm quite concerned because the letter was mailed from Knoxville and its not in Harrogate after four business days, it shouldn't take more than a day or two for it to make it to Harrogate . . .

Upcoming Monday 11/10 ;)

Believe me, email first and call later. To show my courtesy, I emailed them after 10 days but got no response (because I emailed a specific staff). Then I called after 15 days but got no response either (because I called the admissions office at 1-800 #). 2 hours later, I emailed [email protected] and received a response in 30 minutes. Also, I learned that if you ever call the office, please reach them at the regular number (either Robin Lamb or Robin Mace) instead of the 1800, which is recommended by a kind SDN member.

Thus, do it on Monday and do not wait too long like me! They are very nice! Good luck on your application process.

Hey guys!

Hope that everyone is having a good application season. I am currently a first year student at LMU-DCOM. Feel free to PM me any questions that you all might have. I will be happy to answer them as soon as I can.

Pikki

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if someone could possibly chance me for a II at LMU. I received my secondary on 11/6 and submitted same day.

Stats are cgpa 3.18, sgpa 3.0
mcat 25
great letters, very unique healthcare related ECs, several years of work experience in healthcare.

My numbers really aren't the greatest, but I hope my disadvantaged status and ECs/Recs will make me shine in someone's eyes over there.

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if someone could possibly chance me for a II at LMU. I received my secondary on 11/6 and submitted same day.

Stats are cgpa 3.18, sgpa 3.0
mcat 25
great letters, very unique healthcare related ECs, several years of work experience in healthcare.

My numbers really aren't the greatest, but I hope my disadvantaged status and ECs/Recs will make me shine in someone's eyes over there.

If you want a "higher" chance, I think you should ensure your application marked complete asap. I submitted everything on 10/20 but didn't get marked complete until 11/05. 16 days make a lot of difference, right?

Your MCAT is competitive, and your great ECs/Recs are better than those I know that are applying this cycle. Though your GPA isn't the best, I think the adcom will rather look at an applicant as a whole.

Good luck on your application process.

If it's anything like my undergrad institution, in-campus mail often takes longer to get to where it's supposed to be than one would think.

FWIW:
Application Complete email rec'd 9/16, found out about interview (made phone call to check status of new transcripts sent) 9/29. Interviewed 11/3, accepted 11/7.
cGPA: 3.14 sGPA: 3.38 MCAT: 32 (14PS/10BS/8V)
Nontraditional from TX, years of unique ECs (work) with underserved populations, mediocre letters, huge recent upward trend in GPA (mostly upper division bio/chem)
Decided to attend: 11/3.
EDIT: I do currently have one other acceptance (and one waitlist), and many other schools whom have not contacted me yet with a decision. At this point, I would only decline this acceptance for a highly unlikely home state acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW:
Application Complete email rec'd 9/16, found out about interview (made phone call to check status of new transcripts sent) 9/29. Interviewed 11/3, accepted 11/7.
cGPA: 3.14 sGPA: 3.38 MCAT: 32 (14PS/10BS/8V)
Nontraditional from TX, years of unique ECs (work) with underserved populations, mediocre letters, huge recent upward trend in GPA (mostly upper division bio/chem)
Decided to attend: 11/3.
EDIT: I do currently have one other acceptance (and one waitlist), and many other schools whom have not contacted me yet with a decision. At this point, I would only decline this acceptance for a highly unlikely home state acceptance.
Congrats! Im from Texas myself!

So I'm not sure if it's official but there is a LMU-DCOM class of 2019 page on Facebook. Make sure to hop on... Our Facebook page has always been a huge source of information.

So I'm not sure if it's official but there is a LMU-DCOM class of 2019 page on Facebook. Make sure to hop on... Our Facebook page has always been a huge source of information.
Qualification: the pages are for those who have been accepted to the class of 2019

Just did the 13 hour drive down there this past weekend to confirm that this is where I'll ship off to next year/show my girlfriend the area and Knoxville since she'll be moving down with me after the first semester.

Got to drive all around Harrogate, Tazewell, and Middlesboro, to try and get a feel for it. At this point I'm 100% sure I'll be sending in my deposit for next year.

Reactions: 5 users
whoa that's a lot of acceptances already! congrats!! i just received the complete email on the 10th...has there been a trend in turn around time for an interview?

whoa that's a lot of acceptances already! congrats!! i just received the complete email on the 10th...has there been a trend in turn around time for an interview?

I am curious as well! Last year, complete Nov 20th didn't get an ii until January, but hopefully it is different each year.

I want to have an ii so badly! :(

Last edited:
No. I was complete and had to wait over a month for the interview... And only got it after I called.

No. I was complete and had to wait over a month for the interview... And only got it after I called.
What'd you say when you called? I was complete this Monday night. I'll probably call after a month or so if I don't get an II, I just don't know what I'd say.

It seems like everyone gets an II when they call, does anyone ever actually get them by email?

What'd you say when you called? I was complete this Monday night. I'll probably call after a month or so if I don't get an II, I just don't know what I'd say.

It seems like everyone gets an II when they call, does anyone ever actually get them by email?
They call you to invite you and schedule it. Not much is done by email with them (at least not in my experience thus far) other than a complete email. They call for II and call with acceptances with a hardcopy letter to follow.

I got my interview by email.

Could you explain a bit further? As in an official "Congratulations, you have been selected to interview with LMU-DCOM" type? Or you asked them questions via email and they also let you know?

Thank you!

Could you explain a bit further? As in an official "Congratulations, you have been selected to interview with LMU-DCOM" type? Or you asked them questions via email and they also let you know?

Thank you!

I didn't contact them first. I was complete 9/8 and they emailed 10/22 with exactly what you just wrote. "Congrats! You've been selected for an interview. Call within 14 days..."
I've had a few emails from some schools go straight to my spam folder so I make sure to keep up with that pretty often.

I actually had (found?) a reason to call. When I called, I needed to verify that they had received my most recent transcript, as it was not long after the summer session was finished. I had verified that AACOMAS processed the update, and transmitted it to schools. I was actually calling all of the schools about this. After she (I believe it was Robin) updated my file, I casually asked about the timeline from that point on. She put me on hold, and came back to tell me I was approved for an invite. They may have been doing more of this earlier in the cycle, but it's really never a bad idea to contact some of these smaller schools by phone on a somewhat regular basis. I wouldn't call them to see if you're being invited for an interview, but I'm sure there are continuing things happening on your applications that are being updated by AACOMAS. So, call after a few weeks or so, but make sure you do it for a valid reason. Hopefully, you'll get a nice surprise.

Reactions: 1 users

I just said I'm calling about the status of my application. They asked my name and then told me I was invited to interview. Pretty painless process.

Hey guys,

Has anyone else been put on pre-interview hold? I'm not really sure how I should take this. Is it like a silent rejection? I'm open to your feedback if someone else has been in the same situation?

Thanks

Hey guys,

Has anyone else been put on pre-interview hold? I'm not really sure how I should take this. Is it like a silent rejection? I'm open to your feedback if someone else has been in the same situation?

Thanks

I was put on hold as well. I don't think it's a silent rejection. I sent in a couple of updates to Ms. Mace, and she said my app is going to be reviewed again at the end of this month, so if you have updates, send those in!

Hey guys,

Thanks
Yeah I was on hold as well. I called them and they said that the best thing to do now is a letter of intent with updates on life. Now, I have a question, I have a position that hasn't started yet but is pretty significant, is this something that we can update on even though it isn't done yet? I can also get a letter of rec/confirmation stating that I am in fact doing it from my PI/employer.

EDIT: I am already working in this research thing for over a year, just a new project that I will be starting.

Yeah I was on hold as well. I called them and they said that the best thing to do now is a letter of intent with updates on life. Now, I have a question, I have a position that hasn't started yet but is pretty significant, is this something that we can update on even though it isn't done yet? I can also get a letter of rec/confirmation stating that I am in fact doing it from my PI/employer.

EDIT: I am already working in this research thing for over a year, just a new project that I will be starting.

There's no official rule book that states what you can/can't update on. If it's a significant EC, then tell them that you're about to start xxx.

So I was just reading through the thread and I think the general consensus for interviews is to fly in to the knoxville airport and rent a car and drive to Middlesboro/Harrogate. Any other suggestions or is this the best option?

So I was just reading through the thread and I think the general consensus for interviews is to fly in to the knoxville airport and rent a car and drive to Middlesboro/Harrogate. Any other suggestions or is this the best option?

I'm flying into the Tri-Cities Regional Airport, renting a car and driving an almost two hour drive. I saved around $300 on airfare by going to a different airport. Plus, I didn't want to deal with the traffic of a major city.

I'm flying into the Tri-Cities Regional Airport, renting a car and driving an almost two hour drive. I saved around $300 on airfare by going to a different airport. Plus, I didn't want to deal with the traffic of a major city.
Thanks for the tip!

It's a really nice drive from there to Harrogate. It's near Kingsport, one of our core sites and it's a tiny little airport. I figured that it would be more expensive to fly into TRI than TYS.

Lol I wish. I drove down from NY. It was pretty and all,but after the 400th mountain and dead squirrel on the road, I was ready to just call it quits and go back home to work retail.

Hey guys! For those of you accepted, did you get your welcome packet in the mail yet? I was accepted 11/7. Thanks :) !!

Reactions: 1 users
It's a really nice drive from there to Harrogate. It's near Kingsport, one of our core sites and it's a tiny little airport. I figured that it would be more expensive to fly into TRI than TYS.

Ooh, good to know. I'm happy to hear about the drive being nice. I'm coming in from Houston and and I was surprised about the prices too; especially since the second plane I'll be on is a propeller plane.

By the way, one of the best parts of interview day: Bob.

Reactions: 3 users
If Bob is an embodiment of DCOM, I know I've made the right decision.
Also, how many current students just came to hang out and chat during down times? That was really great.

Who is this "Bob"? I am so curious! Hope to get an ii to see who this special person is!

Who is this "Bob"? I am so curious! Hope to get an ii to see who this special person is!
He's somewhat of a tour guide. Really warm and caring man. Hope you get to meet him also.