Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2nd MCAT - 24 - 10/6/8
3rd MCAT - 25 - 8/6/11
3.9 sGPA. 3.93 overall GPA

Thanks, I'll add to my list then.

yeah i think you have a chance w/ that GPA and MCAT. as long as your volunteering and shadowing are up to par and your secondary/PS aren't terrible, i would think you would get an II.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing 1/23?

Also, would any current student mind letting me call to ask a few questions about the school? I'm trying to get a really good feel for this school, and forums aren't the best for a conversation.

Also, would any current student mind letting me call to ask a few questions about the school? I'm trying to get a really good feel for this school, and forums aren't the best for a conversation.

i think @OsteopathicHopeful is interviewing on 1/23

Quick question. When you edit or add to your AACOMAS primary application, it automatically goes to all the medical schools you've applied to, right?

You are more than welcome to write me a PM and I will do my best to answer all your questions through email. I know you said forums are not good to get your questions answered, but still, I think I can give a pretty good response through email. If my response is not good enough then I am more than happy to send you my number and we can chat. Lets try the email first though.

You are more than welcome to write me a PM and I will do my best to answer all your questions through email. I know you said forums are not good to get your questions answered, but still, I think I can give a pretty good response through email. If my response is not good enough then I am more than happy to send you my number and we can chat. Lets try the email first though.
Thank you! ^_^
Yeah...messages are just a bit cumbersome for a decent back and forth (I have a bunch of questions and answers usually make me think of more things to ask...)
But I'll certainly send a message tomorrow on one of my study breaks. Thank you for the offer.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't know if this is relevant to anyone here, but I thought I'd share anyway just in case --

I just called the admissions office, and they said that they're not going to look at applications (including apps on hold) until after December 15 when the matriculant deposits come in. The rep said that they have interviews booked until February, so I guess they're trying to figure out how many more interviews they can give out. Sucks... I'm on hold and was really hoping for an interview from LMU =(

Don't know if this is relevant to anyone here, but I thought I'd share anyway just in case --

I just called the admissions office, and they said that they're not going to look at applications (including apps on hold) until after December 15 when the matriculant deposits come in. The rep said that they have interviews booked until February, so I guess they're trying to figure out how many more interviews they can give out. Sucks... I'm on hold and was really hoping for an interview from LMU =(

lots of people will get opportunities on or after december 15th. remember that if people got accepted to LMU, they more than likely have been accepted to other schools as well. just because they got offered here doesn't mean they will commit here.

I think the December 15th drop date opens a lot of spots when the people who actually wanted MD have to pony up a deposit.

lots of people will get opportunities on or after december 15th. remember that if people got accepted to LMU, they more than likely have been accepted to other schools as well. just because they got offered here doesn't mean they will commit here.

I think the December 15th drop date opens a lot of spots when the people who actually wanted MD have to pony up a deposit.

I hope so!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I'm going back on my word here, but... can any current students comment on the anatomy boot camp? All I keep hearing from current students, both DO and MD, is that anatomy is a really PITA. I guess I'm looking for any way to make the load a little more manageable come next year.

I know I'm going back on my word here, but... can any current students comment on the anatomy boot camp? All I keep hearing from current students, both DO and MD, is that anatomy is a really PITA. I guess I'm looking for any way to make the load a little more manageable come next year.

I didn't do it and had no previous anatomy experience. I did fine (even stopped studying for it too much because biochem was kicking my behind). Some people really struggled and probably should have done it. I didn't want to pay for it or be here earlier and many of the students that did felt burned out by the end. However, I have never heard anyone say they regret doing it.

Sorry to be vague!

I did the anatomy boot camp and actually taught it this last summer as well. I really enjoyed it. While I did not attend every day, I did make many friends, learn a lot of information and most specifically learn how I learn best. While you may think you already know how you learn, medical school is different from undergrad and the first few weeks of school students are having to learn this knowledge. Having gone through boot camp and already picked this trait up, it makes the start a little more manageable. In Med school, there is much more information in much less time. Being able to get as much as you can from the little time is important. I felt that the boot camp allowed me to get my panic moments out, figure out how to study and allowed me to get a head start on the first few exams. While the boot camp is not 100% necessary to succeed, it is very useful. If you are itching to get started, it is a great option to do so. The professors will tell you what your first exam is going to be on, so you can take your time and focus on that material. That way when school actually starts, you already have a good handle on the material on the first exam. Doing really well on the first exam is very important, it helps set the tone for the rest of the semester. If you do poorly, then you find that the rest of the semester you could be playing catch up. If you do well, then the rest of the semester you have a little buffer that helps keep you from teetering between 69.4% and 69.5%. That is a position you do NOT want to be in. I found the boot camp useful and advantageous, but not necessary to do well. Anyone is welcome to PM me if they want more information or have questions.

Reactions: 2 users

I also had no anatomy experience prior to med school and did fine in anatomy. I didn't want to pay out of pocket or spend another few weeks in the classroom when I knew that it was about to consume my life. I feel like it's such a fast run through that it's hard to retain a ton of information. But, again, I didn't do it and some people loved it. This is just my take on it.

gosh, I really wish the boot camp had clearer opinions haha. I don't think I would do it if accepted and I went to LMU. I think I would move in early, but just get used to the town and get my place set up exactly how I want it, establish a good schedule, etc. Do some nature stuff before I start, etc.

I am a huge fan of boot camp. I entered med school with a liberal arts degree and very little background in the hard sciences.
I got a lot of positives out of it and strongly recommend if to anyone.
As others have said, it's certainly not necessary, but definitely helpful.
With my background, every course is new information, biochem and histology easily take up the bulk of my study time. Boot camp gave me a really good understanding of anatomy. I was amazed how much I was able to learn and retain from just three weeks. It definitely allowed me to have more time to spend on my other classes which has been invaluable.
Another advantage, for me, was learning new methods to study such a massive amount of material in a short time. On day 1 of boot camp I realized the study habits that got me through undergrad were not going to cut it here. Having those three weeks to experiment with my studying methods without the pressure of being graded was huge.
Also, not necessarily important, but nice is meeting people that will be your classmates. When school started I felt more relaxed already knowing many of my classmates and several 2nd years who were ready and willing to offer their assistance. Not that you'll have any trouble meeting people here, but I've found that it is still people I went to boot camp with that I spend the most time with.
I can only speak for myself, but I don't think I feel burnt out because of boot camp. If anything it made my first semester much easier than it would have been otherwise.

welp this is still the only interview i have..hopefully its all i need b/c i love this school, their location, and their mission.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks. I think the fact that I'll be able too meet people without the pressure of studying will be a huge benefit. I never even thought about using it to determine how I learn best, but it's probably not a bad idea. As a late bloomer, I'll take all the reinforcement I can get lol.

I'm interviewing the 23rd and I couldn't be more excited!! :)

If jorts are wrong, then I don't want to be right.
If you wear jorts, you ain't right already. I still remember the terror of my step-mom converting my old jeans to jean shorts in the early 90's and having to wear the 'jean shorts.' And even though they were knee length, still weren't okay. Ugh, time to suppress my childhood again.

Jorts are bad.

Last edited:
Wow that was a long read, I am getting tired today. I am throwing my hat in the DCOM ring on the suggestions of a friend who is working with residents from there. After reading this thread, this probably moved up to #1.

Hey I have a quick question. I called them on Tuesday and spoke with this really nice lady who looked me up. My application has only been complete for like 3 weeks. When she pulled it up she told me I was someone they were really interested in and they are figuring out interviews. Told me to look out for emails. Anyone else have this experience and what happened???!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I have a quick question. I called them on Tuesday and spoke with this really nice lady who looked me up. My application has only been complete for like 3 weeks. When she pulled it up she told me I was someone they were really interested in and they are figuring out interviews. Told me to look out for emails. Anyone else have this experience and what happened???!
Same. They said they were really backed up with interviews so they were putting all invitations on hold. Said that I was high on the list as well. I guess we will wait and see.

yeah the holidays are a hard time to try and get the whole committee together I'm sure because of vacation, other commitments.

if she told you that, you are more than likely getting an interview. I don't know if the dates in January are full or not, they may be. but they wouldn't be telling you that they are interested in you if they aren't. so that is essentially an II just a delayed one... good job!

I have an interview in January. I have a couple interviews before that but LMU is my top pick with a 23 MCAT 3.6s and 4.0ns what kind of chances do I have? Is the class close to full? And what do the interview questions look like?
Thanks in advance

I have an interview in January. I have a couple interviews before that but LMU is my top pick with a 23 MCAT 3.6s and 4.0ns what kind of chances do I have? Is the class close to full? And what do the interview questions look like?
Thanks in advance

What date? I am going on the 12th. Trad male applicant willing to share a car (already have one other applicant) and a hotel room if you are in the 12th and are interested.

Thanks in advance
oo! I have the exact same stats as you! I interview at LMU Monday (yikes). What other places are you interviewing at if you don't mind sharing?

oo! I have the exact same stats as you! I interview at LMU Monday (yikes). What other places are you interviewing at if you don't mind sharing?

VCOM and WVSOM. what about you? Have you interviewed anywhere yet?

What date? I am going on the 12th. Trad male applicant willing to share a car (already have one other applicant) and a hotel room if you are in the 12th and are interested.

Mine is the 9th. I'll have to let you know how it goes

VCOM and WVSOM. what about you? Have you interviewed anywhere yet?

This is my only one so far. I spoke with an alum recently who raved about this school and the top notch facilities. Excited to see it all. I'll update after the interview:)

I am a huge fan of boot camp. I entered med school with a liberal arts degree and very little background in the hard sciences.
I got a lot of positives out of it and strongly recommend if to anyone.
As others have said, it's certainly not necessary, but definitely helpful.
With my background, every course is new information, biochem and histology easily take up the bulk of my study time. Boot camp gave me a really good understanding of anatomy. I was amazed how much I was able to learn and retain from just three weeks. It definitely allowed me to have more time to spend on my other classes which has been invaluable.
Another advantage, for me, was learning new methods to study such a massive amount of material in a short time. On day 1 of boot camp I realized the study habits that got me through undergrad were not going to cut it here. Having those three weeks to experiment with my studying methods without the pressure of being graded was huge.
Also, not necessarily important, but nice is meeting people that will be your classmates. When school started I felt more relaxed already knowing many of my classmates and several 2nd years who were ready and willing to offer their assistance. Not that you'll have any trouble meeting people here, but I've found that it is still people I went to boot camp with that I spend the most time with.
I can only speak for myself, but I don't think I feel burnt out because of boot camp. If anything it made my first semester much easier than it would have been otherwise.

This X2

I was an international business major in undergrad so I was looking for any leg-up I could get on med school. Boot camp was absolutely worth the time and money. The advantage over your classmates does fade by the 3rd or 4th exam but you also get to meet new people, get organized and most importantly get comfortable here. Message me with any questions - I would be happy to help in anyway I can

Hey everyone! Im interviewing 1/23. Anyone else going that day? If so, are you going to the med student social thing the night before?

I had a similar experience. I called them early in the fall, gave them my numbers and ECs, and she said it everything was good. I submitted my primary/secondary kinda late, but was offered an interview about two weeks ago.

I am interviewing then as well. When did you schedule your interview??

I know numerous people that got A's and B's in anatomy with no prior experience or bootcamp. There are pros and cons of attending bootcamp, and for me it wasn't worth it. I definitely don't regret my decision. Frankly, at this point in the year I can't imagine having started school three weeks earlier ...

Just giving you the other side of the coin.

I am interviewing then as well. When did you schedule your interview??
I scheduled it 11/24. Four days after my birthday. ^_^
It was my first interview invite, so it was the best birthday present I got.

And yes, I'm going. Will I see you there?

I scheduled it 11/24. Four days after my birthday. ^_^
It was my first interview invite, so it was the best birthday present I got.

And yes, I'm going. Will I see you there?
Great b-day present! Yes, I will be going that day. Any idea how many people interview in the same day?

So who else will be interviewing Dec 15?

Awesome! Those who have interviewed, did you think the meet and greet the night before was helpful? I would like to go, but I'll be traveling to Harrogate from out of town on Sunday, so I may be rushed to get there.