Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am flying in for my interview on Thursday and staying in Knoxville. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

I'd highly recommend staying closer to the med school. It took me a lot longer to drive than I thought, about an hour and 40 minutes . It took 2 hours on the way home going a different way but it was Friday traffic though ..,

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

II today! Complete 9/7 cGPA: 3.4 sGPA:3.1 MCAT 509. Thought I was silently rejected!
Scheduled my interview for 2/24

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I would just jump on here really quick and offer my help in any way possible. I am a 4th year at DCOM and getting ready for residency applications. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I plan on writing a summary of my time here at DCOM, when I have a moment.

Good luck on applications.

Hi, I have an interview soon, anything you can recommend? what can you tell about the school environment? teaching style? issues that you recommend I ask about? Anything you can add would help.. Thank you

Am I out of the running for an interview here? CGPA 3.71, MCAT: 499. Complete about a month ago, haven't heard a word

Was interviewed and accepted earlier in the season but I have turned down the offer. Hope it goes to one of you, my darlings

Can you elaborate on the interview process please? what would you recommend?

Am I out of the running for an interview here? CGPA 3.71, MCAT: 499. Complete about a month ago, haven't heard a word

You wont like it, but I'll be honest. Your mcat is too low for this stage in the game. If you had applied right at the start of the interview season, you would of had a better chance of an interview with your gpa. Do keep your fingers crossed still for an interview because the school truly does look at the whole applicant and not just on grades. But, I would think about retaking your mcat.

Hi, I have an interview soon, anything you can recommend? what can you tell about the school environment? teaching style? issues that you recommend I ask about? Anything you can add would help.. Thank you

You seem a little nervous about your interview. The interview is honestly a conversation between you and your interviewer. Be able to answer the general questions (why dcom, why do school, etc) then have some stories mentally prepared about your hobbies, how you relax, where you volunteer at, what you do for a living, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
You wont like it, but I'll be honest. Your mcat is too low for this stage in the game. If you had applied right at the start of the interview season, you would of had a better chance of an interview with your gpa. Do keep your fingers crossed still for an interview because the school truly does look at the whole applicant and not just on grades. But, I would think about retaking your mcat.

You seem a little nervous about your interview. The interview is honestly a conversation between you and your interviewer. Be able to answer the general questions (why dcom, why do school, etc) then have some stories mentally prepared about your hobbies, how you relax, where you volunteer at, what you do for a living, etc.

Thank you for the advice

Thanks. I guess I won't expect anything then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate on the interview process please? what would you recommend?
Interview is very low stress and is set up to determine your fit for the school and relative happiness should you matriculate. Bear in mind LMU is in a rural location and is a newer, larger school. You should have good answers for why you chose to apply.

It took a little over six weeks before I heard anything. Plus, our GPAs are the same and your MCAT is higher. I don't think you're out of it yet.

Last edited:
It took a little over six weeks before I heard anything. Plus our GPAs are the same, but you MCAT is higher. I don't think you're out of it yet.

Thanks for some reassurance :) so you're saying you got an interview?

I was accepted here with a very low mcat score. Definitely lower than their average. I made up for it with a high gpa, lots of health care experience, I took lots of extra upper level science courses, and really good answers to their essay questions and a good personal statement

Care to share your score in private ( maybe it will give hope to rest of us) thank you

Interview is very low stress and is set up to determine your fit for the school and relative happiness should you matriculate. Bear in mind LMU is in a rural location and is a newer, larger school. You should have good answers for why you chose to apply.

What kind of fit is LMU looking for? I'm not asking to become this fit but to better understand the type of students that attend LMU and how they are able to fit into a rural environment because of this aspect.

Reactions: 3 users
What kind of fit is LMU looking for? I'm not asking to become this fit but to better understand the type of students that attend LMU and how they are able to fit into a rural environment because of this aspect.
I think every medical school wants students who will be happy if they attend there. For example, you must be satisfied with being unable to be in a big city, with some difficulty finding housing and other realities that come with living in the region.

For those who went for interview and got to stay in town, can you suggest a place to stay?

Thanks for some reassurance :) so you're saying you got an interview?

I'd give admissions a call tomorrow and inquire about your application. Shows interest and you'll get an answer about where you stand!

II today for 2/24 interview. Is it worth it to go even though it will be late in the cycle?

II today for 2/24 interview. Is it worth it to go even though it will be late in the cycle?

100% please go if you are interested in the school! If you got an interview, that means that they like you already. If they would even interview for a waitlist spot, they would tell you in the email or they would stop with the interviews. I can't remember how they did it last year.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who went for interview and got to stay in town, can you suggest a place to stay?

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It was nice, good breakfast and about 7 minutes away. Make sure to go to the meet and greet in Thursday night! Definitely worth it. It was a great interview day.

I'd give admissions a call tomorrow and inquire about your application. Shows interest and you'll get an answer about where you stand!

You think that would help? I feel like I'm just going to be told "complete and in review" like I was for another school lol

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It was nice, good breakfast and about 7 minutes away. Make sure to go to the meet and greet in Thursday night! Definitely worth it. It was a great interview day.

Thank you, I am certainly intending on attending that :)

100% please go if you are interested in the school! If you got an interview, that means that they like you already. If they would even interview for a waitlist spot, they would tell you in the email or they would stop with the interviews. I can't remember how they did it last year.
Thanks!

You think that would help? I feel like I'm just going to be told "complete and in review" like I was for another school lol

It would definitely help cuz I'm like I said it shows you're interested plus you'll get a definitive answer!

I really would recommend calling them and ask if there is anything you can do that would help you along. When I did that, one school recommended that i write them a letter of interest, so I sent one to the dean. LMU might suggest something like that also

I really would recommend calling them and ask if there is anything you can do that would help you along. When I did that, one school recommended that i write them a letter of interest, so I sent one to the dean. LMU might suggest something like that also
I actually did this!!! I emailed admissions saying I was still very interested in the school and for an update regarding my status. Received an II the next day.

Have you happened to hear back from this school?How was your interview experience?
I have not heard back yet. The admissions committee meets tomorrow. I felt like the interview went well, it is fairly laid back. I also interviewed at KYCOM. The interview is blind, they only know your name and where you are from. My interviewers were very nice. I emailed them to thank them for their time after my interview and one of them emailed me back a couple hours later. The school is really nice and the interview is very informative! They did have us do a student panel interview, they said this was a pilot program that they were testing. (I'm not really sure if this counted for anything?)

I have not heard back yet. The admissions committee meets tomorrow. I felt like the interview went well, it is fairly laid back. I also interviewed at KYCOM. The interview is blind, they only know your name and where you are from. My interviewers were very nice. I emailed them to thank them for their time after my interview and one of them emailed me back a couple hours later. The school is really nice and the interview is very informative! They did have us do a student panel interview, they said this was a pilot program that they were testing. (I'm not really sure if this counted for anything?)

was the student panel interview at LMU or KYCOM? Any tips or advice you have about the types of interview questions being asked? Anything out of the norm being asked? Thanks!

I actually did this!!! I emailed admissions saying I was still very interested in the school and for an update regarding my status. Received an II the next day.

Wow that's great! I think I'll try this! Did you get an official response back? Who did you email?

Wow that's great! I think I'll try this! Did you get an official response back? Who did you email?
I emailed LMU-DCOMs admissions office. I was definitely surprised when I received the invite.

was the student panel interview at LMU or KYCOM? Any tips or advice you have about the types of interview questions being asked? Anything out of the norm being asked? Thanks!

The student panel was at LMU-DCOM. Be prepared to talk about yourself: why LMU, why osteopathic medicine, strengths/weaknesses. They also asked some ethical questions. "What would you do in this situation?"
Everything was pretty normal. Just remember that they want to get to know you. Be yourself and be honest and you should be ok.

Reactions: 2 users
The student panel was at LMU-DCOM. Be prepared to talk about yourself: why LMU, why osteopathic medicine, strengths/weaknesses. They also asked some ethical questions. "What would you do in this situation?"
Everything was pretty normal. Just remember that they want to get to know you. Be yourself and be honest and you should be ok.

I didnt realize we would even have student panel interviews! Thanks for letting us know. Does that mean a couple students ask you questions at the same time? Which comes first the interview with the staff or with the students?

Anyone interviewing on Feb 24 if interested I rented a car at Knoxville airport and hotel room 5 miles from campus with 2 bed and breakfast.. If interested in Sharing and cutting your costs let me know.. thanks

Thank you, was that on the interview day and was it before or after the actual interview? Also, what do you guys suggest we ask them about?

Last edited:
I actually found out about my II here by calling. I was expecting exactly what you said, and instead she paused and said "Good news! You've been selected for an interview".

So tldr; I can personally attest to this being legitimate advice. :)

I actually found out about my II here by calling. I was expecting exactly what you said, and instead she paused and said "Good news! You've been selected for an interview".

So tldr; I can personally attest to this being legitimate advice. :)

Thank you, I'll try this! Do you recall what number you called? I called the number on the website once inquiring about a letter, but I kept getting transferred to different people.

I didnt realize we would even have student panel interviews! Thanks for letting us know. Does that mean a couple students ask you questions at the same time? Which comes first the interview with the staff or with the students?

I was wondering this myself as well

They may do it, they may not at other interviews. We were told it was a pilot program. When we did it there were 2 students that went through and asked us questions in groups of 5/6. The interviews vary, I had my student panel after my actual interview. If you have any other questions message me!

Thank you, was that on the interview day and was it before or after the actual interview? Also, what do you guys suggest we ask them about?

They did it the day of the interview. It's always good to ask them about how their tests are set up. It really depends on your interests. If you have any questions message me!

Last edited: