Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you don't have to do the rural locations at the designated sites online?

What's the odds that you get your top 5 core rotations
The school doesn't advertise it, but if you make a good case (ex live on the other side of the country) and give a reasonable alternative they will usually accept it. I believe the school contacts the preceptor to ensure the site is rural. However, rural is used very loosely, I know people that have rotated in Franklin, TN. They mainly want to know that you are at a small hospital or clinic that has to accommodate for its lack of access to higher healthcare, and you will have a class discussion online about ur experiences.
Almost everyone I know ended up at one of their top five sites. Obviously, smaller or more rural sites will be much easier to get. One main priority for students is the size of city, but I would recommend ranking sites with residencies highest. Our large number of electives ensures you will have some experience with residencies, but I think rotating with residents while on core rotations is invaluable practice. Still, most students end up in their top five, you can trade sites after the lottery, and worst case scenario you are only required to be there a max of seven months, unlike the standard entire third year at some schools

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone that interviewed last week hear back yet?

anyone lives in Knoxville and moving to Harrogate? whats their take on change of environment?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone lives in Knoxville and moving to Harrogate? whats their take on change of environment?
I drove into the Cumberland Gap park from Harrogate yesterday. It's very rural and looks like a very safe place. I was headed to check out Gap Cave, but I ran out of daylight and saw the Iron Furnace next to a nice creek that trickles down the mountain and cuts through a historic looking village. I saw mostly out-of-state plates at the LMU residence dorms. The little village looks great for walks and I'm sure they light that place up for visitors during Christmas.
There really isn't much to do there unless you enjoy outdoors recreation, but you have a National park in the backyard of LMU. It looks like a sleepy town.

wondering if the school gives IPads to students like many other schools?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone that interviewed last week hear back yet?
Supposedly today would be the day that all emails are sent out if you did not receive a call. The dean may or may not have had time to call so don't stress too much.

wondering if the school gives IPads to students like many other schools?

The school does not supply you with any electronics. $1000.00 is budged into your student loans so that you can have that in reserve if you need a new laptop down the line.

It's hard to make the decision, but I just cancelled my interview today! Good luck everyone!

Supposedly today would be the day that all emails are sent out if you did not receive a call. The dean may or may not have had time to call so don't stress too much.
Yeah, I'm stressing out a little because I haven't received either.

Has anyone received this message via E-mail?

"We truly appreciate your interest in LMU-DCOM. We want you to know we think your application indicates that you are well-rounded and that you might fit the mission of LMU-DCOM. Unfortunately, we have a limited number of interview seats. We will retain your application and continue to review it through the interview cycle. If selected for an interview, we will contact you via email."

...and if so, were you ever invited to interview? Or should I consider this bad news? Thanks!

I got the same email in early Feb and haven't heard anything else since then. I was going to withdraw my application, but so much has been on my mind. To me, it just feels like I was in their "maybe" pile. LMU was the only oos school that I considered because my family is an hour away.

Has anyone received this message via E-mail?

"We truly appreciate your interest in LMU-DCOM. We want you to know we think your application indicates that you are well-rounded and that you might fit the mission of LMU-DCOM. Unfortunately, we have a limited number of interview seats. We will retain your application and continue to review it through the interview cycle. If selected for an interview, we will contact you via email."

...and if so, were you ever invited to interview? Or should I consider this bad news? Thanks!
P

Anybody that interviewed 3/10 hear any news as of yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 3/10 and got accepted at 3:30 today!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Friends who got calls. I'd imagine he's done for the weekend, but no way to be sure. I guess everyone will know something Monday!
I could've swore they said he would call Saturday and Sunday and emails would go out Monday but who knows.

I interviewed 3/10 and got accepted at 3:30 today!!!
Congrats! Were you instate? What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I got waitlisted a week ago, so I just want to know what they're looking for

Congrats! Were you instate? What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I got waitlisted a week ago, so I just want to know what they're looking for

I am not in state! I'm from Indiana!
CGPA: 3.92, SGPA: 3.91, MCAT: 494

what don't you like about this school? policies? attendance? rotation sites (ive heard some problems with them)... can any current students comment? thanks! deciding between here and a couple other schools (comp-nw and ACOM) so I'm trying to get a couple different perspectives.

Does anyone know how long it takes after submitting your matriculation letter and deposit, to get your acceptance letter and other formal information in the physical mail? Particularly information regarding orientation dates and first day of class information?

Does anyone know how long it takes after submitting your matriculation letter and deposit, to get your acceptance letter and other formal information in the physical mail? Particularly information regarding orientation dates and first day of class information?

I never got an acceptance letter mailed to me. However, I did get a receipt mailed to me after I paid my deposit. It took almost a month to get to me after I got an e-mail confirming my deposit was paid. For the first day of class and orientation dates you can go online to figure that out. I will post the link below.

Academic Calendar - Lincoln Memorial University

I never got an acceptance letter mailed to me. However, I did get a receipt mailed to me after I paid my deposit. It took almost a month to get to me after I got an e-mail confirming my deposit was paid. For the first day of class and orientation dates you can go online to figure that out. I will post the link below.
Academic Calendar - Lincoln Memorial University

Thank you!

Received the email this morning. Placed on the alternate list. Has anyone that was placed on the alternate list been pulled off for seat yet?

Accepted this morning via email. I'm not sure why I never got a call this weekend, but the email came about 9 am.

I'm withdrawing, though. I'm a little bummed I won't be going to DCOM, but I think I am accepting another offer. Good luck to everyone else!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted this morning via email. I'm not sure why I never got a call this weekend, but the email came about 9 am.

I'm withdrawing, though. I'm a little bummed I won't be going to DCOM, but I think I am accepting another offer. Good luck to everyone else!

Where you accepting?

Received the email this morning. Placed on the alternate list. Has anyone that was placed on the alternate list been pulled off for seat yet?

Based on previous years, they wont start looking at waitlisted applicants until all interviews have finished.

Anyone know when interviews finish up here? On the waitlist, looking for some hope

Anyone know when interviews finish up here? On the waitlist, looking for some hope

I am also waitlisted here, I believe generally most DO schools stop interviewing at the end of April. Hang in there!

Does anyone know what 'withdrawn' on my secondary application mean?

I'm really confused here, this was not done by me.

Last edited:
what don't you like about this school? policies? attendance? rotation sites (ive heard some problems with them)... can any current students comment? thanks! deciding between here and a couple other schools (comp-nw and ACOM) so I'm trying to get a couple different perspectives.

Somewhat of a disconnect between administration/course directors and the student body. They seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel year after year. Our clinical skills course is an utter mess, and you'll have to put in time out of class to master the skills. No attendance is a huge plus, and can't imagine wasting time in a lecture hall everyday.

As for the rotation sites, the negative info that's floating around about the sites is probably outdated. Since then, DCOM has added quite a few. If leaving the East TN area is not a problem, they've added Florida Hospital in Tampa with 8 slots, and a site in Pasadena, TX, with 18 slots. How this will play out is unknown, but at least they're not in rural locations with a hospital size of 150 beds.

Somewhat of a disconnect between administration/course directors and the student body. They seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel year after year. Our clinical skills course is an utter mess, and you'll have to put in time out of class to master the skills. No attendance is a huge plus, and can't imagine wasting time in a lecture hall everyday.

As for the rotation sites, the negative info that's floating around about the sites is probably outdated. Since then, DCOM has added quite a few. If leaving the East TN area is not a problem, they've added Florida Hospital in Tampa with 8 slots, and a site in Pasadena, TX, with 18 slots. How this will play out is unknown, but at least they're not in rural locations with a hospital size of 150 beds.
Omg really about Pasadena Texas??

Can someone please comment on the attrition rate of the school? How many people have to remediate or fail out?

Can someone please comment on the attrition rate of the school? How many people have to remediate or fail out?
Nobody knows the exact attrition rate, but I would say it's about average. When you know of 2 people who fail out, it seems like it's a ton, but in reality it's no more than 2-3/semester.

As for remediation, there is a remediation exam that those who failed a class have to take. If they pass, continue on, if not, then idk the consequences. The school is not responsible for those who fail-- if you struggled before starting med school, you'll probably struggle IN med school. They don't offer too much in the way of tutoring in M2, but for M1, there are plenty of opportunities to receive tutoring.

Thanks! That's great to hear. A friend of mine at another school told me 30 people had to remediate from his class. I thought that was a large number.

Anyone knows if the match list for 2017 is up?

Pasadena, TX is my hometown. The main hospital is Bayshore. Let me tell you this, if you go there, it would help to know Spanish.
;)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there's any validity of the rumors that LMU is partnering with Covenant to establish set rotation sites?

Does anyone know any good places to live here? or a facebook page that is already set up?