Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 3.5 graduate GPA. Clinical experience, no research experience, 506 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

They said the waitlist is unranked, right? I don't really understand how they choose who to pull then.

Pretty much, they group all the waitlisted students into a pile and review the applications all over again and see which applicant looks like a good fit. I can't say what it is that they are looking for (other than fit lol, pretty sure that how I got off the waitlist years ago) but if you made improvements to your application (since you interviewed) it's a good idea to let them know so that your file can be updated.

How many people were pulled off the waitlist who were not in the masters program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a good friend here who was non-masters pulled from the waitlist. He didn't do anything between his interview and getting pulled from the WL either. The masters students who ace neuro get a huge preference, but a good chunk get pulled from the normal pool. DCOM isn't a lot of people's first choice and they get a pretty significant chunk of declines before mid May. Take heart, consider the SMP here if you don't get in, it's a good program and you don't have to repeat any of the med school courses after you do them in the masters.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a good friend here who was non-masters pulled from the waitlist. He didn't do anything between his interview and getting pulled from the WL either. The masters students who ace neuro get a huge preference, but a good chunk get pulled from the normal pool. DCOM isn't a lot of people's first choice and they get a pretty significant chunk of declines before mid May. Take heart, consider the SMP here if you don't get in, it's a good program and you don't have to repeat any of the med school courses after you do them in the masters.
Is it too late to apply to it?

Thanks for the actual advice Fender. I want to attend the boot camp, it's just gonna be hard to come up with the money for it. I will try though. I just feel like I should be doing something to get prepared, and I want the transition to be smooth so I can roll with the punches when they come.

Thanks for the actual advice Fender. I want to attend the boot camp, it's just gonna be hard to come up with the money for it. I will try though. I just feel like I should be doing something to get prepared, and I want the transition to be smooth so I can roll with the punches when they come.

It's definitely a fairly drastic transition from what I was used to since I'm a non-trad. A year into it now, I'd say the name of the game is stamina. The first few blocks of a semester will be pretty straightforward. You're excited by the material, being a medical student, and have that drive to just do well. About 4 blocks in, people just get tired - poorly taught lectures, badly written questions, and just overall morale of the people around you become more apparent. Having some solid tenacity and stress management skills will help get you through the end of semester slump. It's very possible to do well and not be a miserable medical student. I still play video games for about 6 hours a week :laugh: .

Was just contacted by DCOM for holding two seats, so they officially know and are reaching out about it to students. Went ahead and gave up my seat here, really hope it goes to a good home!

Was just contacted by DCOM for holding two seats, so they officially know and are reaching out about it to students. Went ahead and gave up my seat here, really hope it goes to a good home!

What did they mean by "holding two seats?"

I was accepted to another school and paid the deposit to hold my seat there. As a masters student here at DCOM they don't require a deposit to hold an acceptance.

Ohh okay, so they basically found out you were holding two seats, and were asking what your final decision was?

i wouldnt stress too much esp before even starting. none of the material is that hard. just a lot of it. Once you get in really much of the battle is already won besides just having good habits and as previously stated some stamina.

Members don't see this ad :)
If any accepted students have significant others, we encourage you to tell them about the Student Advocate Association, a group dedicated to supporting LMU-DCOM students, graduates and their families. Our members include students and their significant others and family members. You can connect with us on Facebook.

You can also check out our website for information about housing, employment, things to do around here and many other topics. The site should be useful to everyone, not just significant others.

Also, please keep an eye out for an email this summer from Ms. Martin about orientation, which will include information about your orientation and significant other orientation. Your significant other will need to RSVP for their orientation so we can get lunch for them. Child activities are available all day.

Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Off the waitlist! Got the call around 9 PM EST last night.

Reactions: 6 users
Also got a call last night around 8:30!! I'm accepted off the waitlist!!!

Has anyone tried to get in contact with Ms.Martin and have not heard back?

Reactions: 1 users
3.3 cGPA/3.1 sGPA/504 MCAT. In-state applicant with an upward trend. 2 years of clinical experience. @bme94

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone considering living in Tazwell? I don't think the commute is too bad, but I have heard a lot of people saying they would not want to live there.

Is anyone considering living in Tazwell? I don't think the commute is too bad, but I have heard a lot of people saying they would not want to live there.

One of the important things to consider about living in TN vs KY is health insurance. If you don't have health insurance through a family member, TN doesn't have state medicaid so you'll be paying out of pocket.

One of the important things to consider about living in TN vs KY is health insurance. If you don't have health insurance through a family member, TN doesn't have state medicaid so you'll be paying out of pocket.

TN does have state medicaid. TN however did not opt in to the medicaid expansion under the ACA like KY did, so you can earn more in KY and still qualify for medicaid compared to TN.

I will be declining my seat here soon once I actually let it sink in that I got accepted elsewhere! Good luck to those waiting!

Anyone know if they're done filling all their open seats from the waitlist? If I'm waiting for someone to not show up for orientation at this it's probably time to work on my application for next cycle.

Anyone know if they're done filling all their open seats from the waitlist? If I'm waiting for someone to not show up for orientation at this it's probably time to work on my application for next cycle.

Hey I don't know if this helps, but I called a couple of days ago and they said they're done filling their seats.

Isn't this very early in the waitlist cycle to be done filling seats?

I thought the same. I called and specifically asked about any waitlist movmement. She said "well we're done filling our seats for our regular acceptances, but there should be some waitlist movement within the next couple of weeks." I'm not sure what she meant by regular acceptances though.

I thought the same. I called and specifically asked about any waitlist movmement. She said "well we're done filling our seats for our regular acceptances, but there should be some waitlist movement within the next couple of weeks." I'm not sure what she meant by regular acceptances though.
It sounds like she means they're done with accepting people immediately post interview.

I wonder if all of those that interviewed in the last couple rounds have reached their deadline to either accept or reject their acceptance.

Also wonder what the deadline is for those holding multiple seats to make their decision and if that has passed

I wonder if all of those that interviewed in the last couple rounds have reached their deadline to either accept or reject their acceptance.

Also wonder what the deadline is for those holding multiple seats to make their decision and if that has passed

I know that people can't hold multiple acceptances past May 15th. I'm just surprised there hasn't been more movement since the deadline is very soon

I would anticipate more movement after the 15th when people are forced to make their final decisions. We are given 2 weeks to accept a seat at this point, so the people that last interviewed should be getting their decisions soon as well!

What she meant is that they offer acceptances to interviewees until they have "filled" the class, as in offered all of the seats they have available. At that point they stop offering interviews, and as seats become vacant by people turning them down they pull from the wait-list to fill the vacancies.

So the fact that they have already pulled a few people off the list probably means not everyone they offered seats to in the last round of interviews accepted. As others have said, there will be more movement in the coming weeks as people are forced to decide where to go.

Im in the masters program here and we were told that last year they moved approx 60 people off the waitlist, and I know a handful of people personally that came here to attend the masters program and were accepted from the wait-list literally the night before orientation started, so absolutely start working on next cycles app, but also don't give up hope just yet!

I talked to Janette and she said they just started moving the waitlist and the admissions committee will meet next week. She also said to hold off on reapplying if I was still interested.

I talked to Janette and she said they just started moving the waitlist and the admissions committee will meet next week. She also said to hold off on reapplying if I was still interested.

Hmm why did she say hold off on reapplying?

Do you think overall LMU Masters students have a higher chance of being pulled off the waitlist simply because they're in the masters program?

Do you think overall LMU Masters students have a higher chance of being pulled off the waitlist simply because they're in the masters program?

My brother is a masters student. Even though the admissions committee says that the waitlist isn't ranked, if masters students have a GPA above 3.0, yes, they are preferred over other candidates.

Hmm why did she say hold off on reapplying?
It sounds like either he specifically looks really good on the wait list or that they're just anticipating a lot of movement in general.

Either way, it doesn't sound like bad news. I wouldn't overthink it.

Withdrew my acceptance! I hope one of you will get the spot. Good luck!

I'm on the waitlist and just received a letter in the mail telling me about their masters program. Is this any indication that I probably won't be pulled off the waitlist? Any students with this experience?

I'm on the waitlist and just received a letter in the mail telling me about their masters program. Is this any indication that I probably won't be pulled off the waitlist? Any students with this experience?
Hey I am also waitlisted and got a letter in the mail with info about the masters program. I hope that's not what it means!

Hey I am also waitlisted and got a letter in the mail with info about the masters program. I hope that's not what it means!

I also got it. I don't think it means anything; they may just need seats to fill for their anatomy and MS programs. I know someone who was taken off the waitlist literally a day before classes started.