LSU C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if LSU is particularly known for any specialty? I’m interested in exotics/ wildlife so I’d want to know if there are any good zoo clubs or nearby sanctuaries/ zoos :)
I've been impressed by the wildlife/exotics program here. I'm not interested in that route personally, but one of my best friends/classmates is very involved. There's a very active Wildlife, Avian, and Exotics club and a definitely some cool opportunities - we have a raptor rehab program here, so students can volunteer to help care for them, etc. Baton Rouge has a zoo - kind of on the small side, but still nice. And the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans is very impressive, and only about 1.5 hours away. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Also, to anyone attending Open House, we're debuting a new "Ask a Vet Student" table this year so you should definitely try to stop by! A couple of my classmates will be there to answer any questions y'all have about the school, curriculum, the area, life as an LSU vet student, etc. :)

So it currently says that seat availability for Louisiana residents is 57/65. Does that mean 57 IS applicants have been offered admission or 57 IS applicants have accepted a seat from the available 65?
Hmm.. I'm viewing it as 8 Louisiana applicants have confirmed they will be attending LSU in the fall, and therefore those seats are no longer available. I doubt all excepted OOS students have made a firm decision yet on going there, since other schools have yet to release admission decisions. I am sure if you call admissions they might be able to give a more trustworthy answer though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm.. I'm viewing it as 8 Louisiana applicants have confirmed they will be attending LSU in the fall, and therefore those seats are no longer available. I doubt all excepted OOS students have made a firm decision yet on going there, since other schools have yet to release admission decisions. I am sure if you call admissions they might be able to give a more trustworthy answer though.

That's kinda what I was thinking too! Thanks so much!

Hmm.. I'm viewing it as 8 Louisiana applicants have confirmed they will be attending LSU in the fall, and therefore those seats are no longer available. I doubt all excepted OOS students have made a firm decision yet on going there since other schools have yet to release admission decisions. I am sure if you call admissions they might be able to give a more trustworthy answer though.

This! However, the 8 applicants have not necessarily accepted/confirmed from what we were told, they were just offered seats. Our pre-vet advisor at LSU said the top 10% (6 -7 people) were accepted without an interview and that she thinks there are also a couple of students being readmitted from last cycle. This is all hearsay, but she usually knows her stuff- definitely call admissions if you want something more concrete. It doesn't explain why the numbers haven't changed for Arkansas/OOS residents though.

Hope to see some of y'all at the reception on Friday if this city ever thaws out! Everything is closed because of ice/snow at the moment. Hopefully it will stay that way long enough to get tomorrow's classes canceled. :yuck:

Last edited:
This! However, the 8 applicants have not necessarily accepted/confirmed from what we were told, they were just offered seats. Our pre-vet advisor at LSU said the top 10% (6 -7 people) were accepted without an interview and that she thinks there are also a couple of students being readmitted from last cycle. This is all hearsay, but she usually knows her stuff- definitely call admissions if you want something more concrete. It doesn't explain why the numbers haven't changed for Arkansas/OOS residents though.

Hope to see some of y'all at the reception on Friday if this city ever thaws out! Everything is closed because of ice/snow at the moment. Hopefully it will stay that way long enough to get tomorrow's classes canceled. :yuck:

Ignore this! Just talked to my advisor again and we have no idea what we’re talking about. :unsure:

Did anyone attend the open house today? How was it? Do you know if they plan on rescheduling the welcome reception?

I was there! They didn’t reschedule it for another day. Instead they had food and a student panel right before the informational sessions!

I was there! They didn’t reschedule it for another day. Instead they had food and a student panel right before the informational sessions!
Oh okay, thanks! Bummed I couldn’t make so I was hoping they’d reschedule for another weekend...

It was nice but there were soooo many people at the open house that it was kind of difficult to get a good feel for the school. You may look into scheduling a private tour sometime! I think that would be more helpful than being able to come to the open house.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if LSU does tracking?

Does anyone know if it's usual to expect movement on the OOS alternate list before April? Or does it usually start to move after the commitment day?

Does anyone know if LSU does tracking?
The classroom curriculum is more or less the same for all students with the exception of your electives (4 electives total). When you enter clinics in Spring of Year 3 you chose a track at that time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Im OOS and I went to the open house to check out the school since i got accepted. I agree there were wayyyyyy too many people there and i wish they did student led tours like they do for other schools.

Also, anybody know why LSU OOS tuition is so high??

Im OOS and I went to the open house to check out the school since i got accepted. I agree there were wayyyyyy too many people there and i wish they did student led tours like they do for other schools.

Not sure but I'm undergrad at Tennessee right now & Tennessee's vet med is the same OOS as LSU. Kinda scary to accumulate that much debt

Have any in state residents that interviewed earlier this week heard anything yet? Or know when we might hear something?

Congratulations on getting accepted! I'm a current OOS student; so, if you have any questions about moving to Louisiana, feel free to message me. I love LSU because it is in a major city; so, you have access to pretty much anything you need. And, the vet school works hard to promote a sense of community. My classmates look out for each other; so, if you are struggling in a class or having a bad day or whatever, there's always someone ready to help you out. Vet school is stressful; so, it's important to have a strong support network - and it really helps when you can count on your classmates as part of that system.

I'm sorry you didn't get to see everything you wanted at Open House. The ice storm mid-week really threw a wrench in things; the entire LSU campus was closed for three days. When I came for my interview, we had a session the night before and that was when we got a tour with a current student. This year, the ice storm forced them to push the Friday evening stuff into Saturday, which made it challenging to do things like a tour with Open House going on. Was there something you particularly wanted to see or questions you had?

As far as the cost of tuition, yeah, it is high. I don't know exactly why it's at the level it is. If you are accepted to multiple schools, be sure to factor in the cost of living for each area. When I did that, it actually would have cost me more to attend a different school with lower tuition (not the case for every place); so, it made more financial sense to go to the school with higher tuition.

Congratulations on getting accepted! I'm a current OOS student; so, if you have any questions about moving to Louisiana, feel free to message me. I love LSU because it is in a major city; so, you have access to pretty much anything you need. And, the vet school works hard to promote a sense of community. My classmates look out for each other; so, if you are struggling in a class or having a bad day or whatever, there's always someone ready to help you out. Vet school is stressful; so, it's important to have a strong support network - and it really helps when you can count on your classmates as part of that system.

I'm sorry you didn't get to see everything you wanted at Open House. The ice storm mid-week really threw a wrench in things; the entire LSU campus was closed for three days. When I came for my interview, we had a session the night before and that was when we got a tour with a current student. This year, the ice storm forced them to push the Friday evening stuff into Saturday, which made it challenging to do things like a tour with Open House going on. Was there something you particularly wanted to see or questions you had?

As far as the cost of tuition, yeah, it is high. I don't know exactly why it's at the level it is. If you are accepted to multiple schools, be sure to factor in the cost of living for each area. When I did that, it actually would have cost me more to attend a different school with lower tuition (not the case for every place); so, it made more financial sense to go to the school with higher tuition.

How is the weather in Baton Rouge? I know everyone says the humidity is awful in the summer but is it really that bad?

How is the weather in Baton Rouge? I know everyone says the humidity is awful in the summer but is it really that bad?
I don't think the humidity is all that bad. In all fairness, I've yet to spend a full summer here, but I've been here for the entirety of multiple Augusts. Also, I've only ever lived in what would be considered southern states; so, if you are from the north or from a dry climate (like Arizona) you may have a different opinion. This is the furthest south I've lived, but the average summer temperatures are lower than where I moved from.
On the upside, the winters are pretty mild, recent ice storm aside (snow/ ice is extremely uncommon from what I'm told). Yes, it does get cold enough to wear a sweatshirt or jacket, and it may drop below freezing for a night or two normally. But overall, it's a mild winter.
It rains. A lot. But, that's not a bad thing. You get used to it, and it's not like you are stuck inside all the time. Plus, it keeps the plants and lawns green; so, that's a plus.

I don't think the humidity is all that bad. In all fairness, I've yet to spend a full summer here, but I've been here for the entirety of multiple Augusts. Also, I've only ever lived in what would be considered southern states; so, if you are from the north or from a dry climate (like Arizona) you may have a different opinion. This is the furthest south I've lived, but the average summer temperatures are lower than where I moved from.
On the upside, the winters are pretty mild, recent ice storm aside (snow/ ice is extremely uncommon from what I'm told). Yes, it does get cold enough to wear a sweatshirt or jacket, and it may drop below freezing for a night or two normally. But overall, it's a mild winter.
It rains. A lot. But, that's not a bad thing. You get used to it, and it's not like you are stuck inside all the time. Plus, it keeps the plants and lawns green; so, that's a plus.

Thanks, that answers my questions! I’m from Arkansas so I’m used to humid summers already, just didn’t know how much worse it is in LA!

I do have another question. I’ve looked on their website at the concentration requirements but I’m still a little confused on how much time you get during your clinical year for externships/electives. Do you mind telling me what you are/plan on concentrating in (small, large, or mixed) and how much time you will have for externships/electives?

Thanks, that answers my questions! I’m from Arkansas so I’m used to humid summers already, just didn’t know how much worse it is in LA!

I do have another question. I’ve looked on their website at the concentration requirements but I’m still a little confused on how much time you get during your clinical year for externships/electives. Do you mind telling me what you are/plan on concentrating in (small, large, or mixed) and how much time you will have for externships/electives?
The amount of time for externships/ electives varies with regard to which area you choose to focus on. If I understand correctly, it varies from 8 to 10 weeks. I am looking at small animal which allows for 1 and 1/2 blocks of externship and 2 blocks of electives. The blocks are 4, 5, or 6 weeks long for each concentration.
Which area are you wanting to focus on?

Also, keep in mind that you get to take four electives during years 1 and 2. There is an elective that pretty much everyone takes since you need it for graduation, but that leaves three electives to get specific experience or explore your options before clinics. Plus, we have a good variety of clubs that bring in speakers and hold wet labs (usually one wet lab per club per semester) to allow you to get even more experience. Then there are activities like the raptor rehab program through the wildlife hospital and monthly Spay Days. And, on top of all that there are conferences and symposiums that you have the opportunity to attend as a veterinary student. One of the big ones is the annual SAVMA Symposium each spring. Last year, it was hosted by Texas A&M which made for a reasonable drive, and they structured our schedules to allow for a long weekend for that conference. In addition to all kinds of interesting speakers, Symposium offers wet labs and excursions. So, it's a great chance to expand your knowledge, get some hands on experience, and meet other veterinary students. In other words, there are plenty of ways to explore your options before clinics and get exposure to a variety of paths.

The amount of time for externships/ electives varies with regard to which area you choose to focus on. If I understand correctly, it varies from 8 to 10 weeks. I am looking at small animal which allows for 1 and 1/2 blocks of externship and 2 blocks of electives. The blocks are 4, 5, or 6 weeks long for each concentration.
Which area are you wanting to focus on?

Also, keep in mind that you get to take four electives during years 1 and 2. There is an elective that pretty much everyone takes since you need it for graduation, but that leaves three electives to get specific experience or explore your options before clinics. Plus, we have a good variety of clubs that bring in speakers and hold wet labs (usually one wet lab per club per semester) to allow you to get even more experience. Then there are activities like the raptor rehab program through the wildlife hospital and monthly Spay Days. And, on top of all that there are conferences and symposiums that you have the opportunity to attend as a veterinary student. One of the big ones is the annual SAVMA Symposium each spring. Last year, it was hosted by Texas A&M which made for a reasonable drive, and they structured our schedules to allow for a long weekend for that conference. In addition to all kinds of interesting speakers, Symposium offers wet labs and excursions. So, it's a great chance to expand your knowledge, get some hands on experience, and meet other veterinary students. In other words, there are plenty of ways to explore your options before clinics and get exposure to a variety of paths.

I am interested in shelter medicine so I would most likely go with small animal. I was also accepted at Mizzou and I know they have more time for electives/externships as well as more clinical rotations. I would like to use my elective/externship blocks to get more experience with shelter med so I’m trying to decide which school will give me more opportunities to do that. Thanks so much for your replies, it’s been really helpful!

I am interested in shelter medicine so I would most likely go with small animal. I was also accepted at Mizzou and I know they have more time for electives/externships as well as more clinical rotations. I would like to use my elective/externship blocks to get more experience with shelter med so I’m trying to decide which school will give me more opportunities to do that. Thanks so much for your replies, it’s been really helpful!
I cannot speak to Mizzou's opportunities for Shelter Medicine, but I have been overwhelmingly impressed with LSU's Shelter Medicine program! There are so many ways to get involved from day one and to keep learning throughout the entire four years.
The first two things I recommend are joining the Shelter Medicine Club and coming to Spay Day. The Shelter Medicine Club doesn't have wet labs in the traditional sense. Instead, there are shelter workdays, and that varies with respect to the shelter and what they need. The club has two to three lunch meetings per semester with speakers on various topics.
Spay Days are monthly, and it is a partnership with a local rescue to care for 1) trap, neuter, release 2) shelter cats and 3) cats whose owners could not otherwise get veterinary care for their cats. It's great experience, and you are helping provide a great service to the community.
Then, in spring of your first year you can take the Shelter Medicine elective. I took it my first year and loved it. We got to tour an innovative local shelter, and we had extremely interesting speakers.
When you get into clinics, there is a Shelter Medicine rotation, there are externship options, and there is an external rotation at a local shelter (it's classified as an elective).
If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask or to direct message me.

I cannot speak to Mizzou's opportunities for Shelter Medicine, but I have been overwhelmingly impressed with LSU's Shelter Medicine program! There are so many ways to get involved from day one and to keep learning throughout the entire four years.
The first two things I recommend are joining the Shelter Medicine Club and coming to Spay Day. The Shelter Medicine Club doesn't have wet labs in the traditional sense. Instead, there are shelter workdays, and that varies with respect to the shelter and what they need. The club has two to three lunch meetings per semester with speakers on various topics.
Spay Days are monthly, and it is a partnership with a local rescue to care for 1) trap, neuter, release 2) shelter cats and 3) cats whose owners could not otherwise get veterinary care for their cats. It's great experience, and you are helping provide a great service to the community.
Then, in spring of your first year you can take the Shelter Medicine elective. I took it my first year and loved it. We got to tour an innovative local shelter, and we had extremely interesting speakers.
When you get into clinics, there is a Shelter Medicine rotation, there are externship options, and there is an external rotation at a local shelter (it's classified as an elective).
If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask or to direct message me.

Wow, thank you! I knew about a few of those opportunities but not all of them. That’s very impressive! Thanks again :)

Check your emails! They released the rankings if you’re waitlisted.

Check your emails! They released the rankings if you’re waitlisted.
I guess that was kinda good news. Would you say it helps us on the waitlist that they are adding more spots potentially?

I guess that was kinda good news. Would you say it helps us on the waitlist that they are adding more spots potentially?

I think so. They said it moved to around spot 65 in pervious years. If 15 seats gets filled by 65 wait listers then proportionately, 25 seats should take about 108 waitlisters to fill.

I’m in the back half of the yellow zone so I think I really only have a chance if they add OOS seats.

What I’m confused about is how are there 248 OOS Alternates if only the top 150 made it to file review.

What I’m confused about is how are there 248 OOS Alternates if only the top 150 made it to file review.

Contract state people may be listed as out of state alternates.

For the ones on the alternate list, at the open house Dr. Taboda said that in previous years they have gone all the way down the alternate list filling spots! He even said one year they offered a spot to someone they had already rejected because they had went entirely though the alternate list! So don’t give up!

Mizzou person here! In general vet school is what you make it and you will find opportunities in shelter med anywhere!

As far as Mizzou specifically, you can have tons of shelter experience starting with Shelter Club (lots of suture/neuter/spay wet labs!), and there are several shelters around that you can volunteer at. As well, there's your three weeks of Shelter you get as a core rotation (I did about 30 spays/neuters there), a 6 week elective you can take at a St. Louis shelter, and you can use your 16 weeks of off time to just do shelter if you want! (I did a two week rotation at a shelter in Kansas City and loved loved loved it). If you have any more questions feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 2 users
Mizzou person here! In general vet school is what you make it and you will find opportunities in shelter med anywhere!

As far as Mizzou specifically, you can have tons of shelter experience starting with Shelter Club (lots of suture/neuter/spay wet labs!), and there are several shelters around that you can volunteer at. As well, there's your three weeks of Shelter you get as a core rotation (I did about 30 spays/neuters there), a 6 week elective you can take at a St. Louis shelter, and you can use your 16 weeks of off time to just do shelter if you want! (I did a two week rotation at a shelter in Kansas City and loved loved loved it). If you have any more questions feel free to PM me!

Thank you! My decision just gets harder and harder to make... :rolleyes:

Help! I’m confused. So, if we interviewed are our choices either accepted or rejected? Is being placed on the waitlist an option at this point since they already have the list out?

Help! I’m confused. So, if we interviewed are our choices either accepted or rejected? Is being placed on the waitlist an option at this point since they already have the list out?

I’m pretty sure that list is just OOS so since you’re AR I think if you’re not immediately accepted you’d be placed on the waitlist! I don’t know that for sure though, just speculating.

Ok, that makes sense. I’m just freaking out. Lol sorry! Thank you for replying!

Question for current students: is there a dress code during classroom years?

Question for current students: is there a dress code during classroom years?
No, there is not a dress code except for labs where you have to wear a lab coat and typically have to wear scrubs. For lecture, you can wear pretty much what you want.

No, there is not a dress code except for labs where you have to wear a lab coat and typically have to wear scrubs. For lecture, you can wear pretty much what you want.

Thank you! My decision just gets harder and harder to make... :rolleyes:
Did you by any chance get the contract spot for Arkansas residents at Mizzou? I'm ranked #3 of the Arkansas applicants accepted and am wondering if if 1 or 2 intend on going to Mizzou and taking the spot. Just wondering! I was also accepted to LSU, so I understand the difficulty of the decision!

Did you by any chance get the contract spot for Arkansas residents at Mizzou? I'm ranked #3 of the Arkansas applicants accepted and am wondering if if 1 or 2 intend on going to Mizzou and taking the spot. Just wondering! I was also accepted to LSU, so I understand the difficulty of the decision!

Hey congrats!! Yes I’m #1! I will most likely be declining my seat at Mizzou but I haven’t completely decided on that yet. Which school are you leaning towards?

Hey congrats!! Yes I’m #1! I will most likely be declining my seat at Mizzou but I haven’t completely decided on that yet. Which school are you leaning towards?
I'm pretty sure I want to go to Mizzou, but it's hard to to pass up the LSU contract spot! Just going to wait and see what happens with the Mizzou spot and decide after that. :) Congratulations, by the way! That's awesome!

I'm pretty sure I want to go to Mizzou, but it's hard to to pass up the LSU contract spot! Just going to wait and see what happens with the Mizzou spot and decide after that. :) Congratulations, by the way! That's awesome!

Thank you :p
That sounds like a good plan! I wouldn’t pass up instate tuition though if I were you!! But I will let you know if I decline my seat at Mizzou :)

I'm an oos who got accepted at LSU. So far its my only acceptance so I'm super happy that I will be going somewhere! I am just curious about the schools atmosphere, teaching styles, fun things to do around the area for people and dogs. I wasn't able to go to the open house so I just want to know how current students feel about the school and the program.

I am waitlisted at WesternU and I am trying to decided which school would be better for me. If anyone knows anything about how they like the curriculum and atmosphere at either locations I would greatly appreciate it! I'm just so nervous about deciding schools and starting this new chapter!

For the ones on the alternate list, at the open house Dr. Taboda said that in previous years they have gone all the way down the alternate list filling spots! He even said one year they offered a spot to someone they had already rejected because they had went entirely though the alternate list! So don’t give up!
Kind of hoping this happens again. I am an out of state alternate. Would love to go to LSU.

Does anyone know how far they went down the wait list last year?

Not sure but with the OOS tuition being one of the more expensive, I feel like pretty far. I just declined my offer on Friday bc I got into my instate so that’s one more spot for someone else!! :)

I am #2 for the Arkansas seat, and also got accepted as an AR seat to LSU. Loved both schools but liked the town of Columbia better. (Baton Rouge is a little scary to me!) I can't decide. Might go tour both again before April rolls around.

Can any current students shed some light on living situations at LSU? Do most of you live in Apartments or Houses? Feel Safe in Baton Rouge? How far from the school do you live? etc etc

I am #2 for the Arkansas seat, and also got accepted as an AR seat to LSU. Loved both schools but liked the town of Columbia better. (Baton Rouge is a little scary to me!) I can't decide. Might go tour both again before April rolls around.

I’m also having trouble deciding between the two! Honestly I like Baton Rouge better but the extra time in clinicals at Mizzou is tempting.