LUCOM (Liberty) vs LMU-DCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BorntobeDO?

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I will be this person. I have vacillated back and forth for the last week and a half and its time to end. Heres how I see it, hopefully this will help someone else later also since these schools tend to overlap their interveiwees. To be clear I like both programs but am having trouble. Outside input is appreciated.

Liberty pros: Rotations Guarantee -Dean says that if you have family you can stay in Lynchburg (good if true)

Spiral Curriculum - Classic education model where you cover materially lightly the first time, sweep around and cover it more thoroughly the second time, and usually review it a 3rd time. Looking at the Academic Catalog it has a lot of cool ideas. For instance, the second years do dissection, while the first years observe the prosection and the second years help teach the first*. Also they try to cap 'seat and feet' time at 25 hours a week. *see cons (this doesn't seem like it is happening tho)

Rank each years separately - could be good or bad, about the deans letter they say specifically, the MSPE provides a succinct chronology of a student's entry and process through medical school, which includes the preclinical and clinical rotation records, involvement in special activities, compliance with College policies, and the student's personal qualities. I haven't found how much info from rank is included in Deans letter, so I am not sure it has it or not.

Family Orientation - Liberty has 'quiet rooms' in the back of the main lecture hall. They are the only school I have ever seen that at. They also place a great emphasis on keeping medical school as family friendly as possible. This is one of their biggest selling points.

No Mandatory Attendance: Right now they do not have mandatory attendance. However, their handbook actually states that a student is expected to attend 100% of classes unless otherwise specified. So yes, in practice there is no Mandatory attendance for now, but is it here to stay?

Liberty has money- Even if your a Democrat (I am neither party) connections to Republicans isn't all bad. This school has money and it shows. In the right circles Liberty will be a very positive thing. And based on locations and school size this will probably be one of the 'better' DO schools eventually. SDN Hive-think = Bigger undergrad = better graduate school. This school isn't in the middle of no where, and it owns the town its in.

Service focus - This is another of Liberties strongest points IMO. It really shows when you goto interview what they care about and how they act. I cannot stress that the culture is just different there from other places. Its not just a 'Christian' thing but more than that. These students are special in a good way, and I really felt like they had fostered a cooperative environment.

Lynchburg- is a real town with a metro area of 250k. Its not big city, but its not tiny at all. This is a real thing when you think about spending multiple years of your life in a place.

Liberty Cons:
Newness - With only one year ahead of me, my class WILL be working out some of the kinks which have been discussed openly (the 140/160 failing an anatomy practical, which they did allow the students to retake), also the over accepting last year and then initially pulling acceptances from people (which they did also fix by offering deferments or placing those people in 2018 after some abandoned deposit).

* con - So the idea of prosection the first year, and then dissection the second year isn't what is currently happening. Students are doing dissection now (per a current student) and they expect to prosect next year. Perhaps dissection this year is related to that one bad test, I don't know. However, the student handbook ( which disagrees with the academic catalog on this topic) states that there is dissection both years. Either way this isn't figured out from what I can tell, and it involves doing anatomy labs for 2 years :confused:. This is a con for me, maybe its a plus if you want to be a surgeon. But I feel like what I have read and heard is that Anatomy lab is a big draw on your time. I would rather not have it for two full years (and with Liberty the years are VERY full with less time off).

Grading system - Liberty for the didactic years uses a straight number system according to the handbook, which in itself is not bad. However, when they convert your number to GPA it becomes more like a +/- system. 90-94 is a 3.75, so in essence a A-. I would note that every other range its in your favor like 80-84 is 3.0, but 85-89 is a 3.25. My undergrad experience taught me that I see a whole lot more of A- than I would like. 95% + on everything is very hard to achieve IMO. And even tho I probably will not get over 90% in every class (or maybe even most classes) I would like to have a decent shot at a "A," i.e. a 4.0. I know that at least one residency looks only at GPA and Board scores and doesn't recalculate it. At Liberty I might be very highly ranked, but I am sure I won't be a 4.0

DCOM

Pro-
Not new- I have graduated students I can talk too, 4th years etc. I have resources and I can get ahold of them. They have been really responsive which is good.

Grading System - Although they use a number system only grades appear on transcript. So 70 = C; 80= B; and 90= A with 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 being their respective GPAs. I know I will get at least *some* A's at Debusk with proper effort, and there is a chance I could do even better. I am sure everyone feels this way, but 90% is definitely more achievable than 95%.

Attendance Policy - DCOM has a no mandatory attendance policy also. And we are in the 8th or so class, so I am not worried about that changing.

Class rank:I am not sure I like how DCOM ranks. They rank you by your numeric percentage over the first two years only. This can be really painful if you start slow.

But since the Dean only includes rank in your letter if your in the top 25%, it doesn't really hurt you. This is the way all schools should do rank IMO. No one wants to be the lowest ranked in the class, and quite frankly if you fulfill the requirements there is no need for anyone to know. But people should be rewarded for scoring well, and I think this system does this well.

Board Prep - They have already had many grads take boards so there is a system in place. They do force you to take the boards by June 15th or something like that (kind of early). So that is not so good.

Nuetral
Curriculum - a nice 'ol integrated block system with a decent amount of time off. Gross Anatomy ends in Dec. So about 6 months, and the fat cleaning is over. Basic sciences are mismashed together which I am not a huge fan of.

Con-
Rotation sites - They are all over, and your guaranteed that you have to move. Plus Core sites are assigned by an unweighted lottery. Fair? Probably. And it keeps the 'gunnerz' away by de-incentizing rank (did I tell you I changed my mind and only want Nuerosurgery now that I am admitted? j/king!). Still, staying in one place is a lot easier than having to move and set up half my rotations.

Harrogate - Wow it is tiny. I made a list of 6 places I think I would go on a semi-regular basis (Ross, Target, Moes, etc.). The only one that was closer than 43 miles was wal-mart. And I only would go there cause target is 60 miles away. Restaurant choices are limited, especially if you have dietary restrictions of almost any kind (Adkins would do fine tho!), and there just isn't a lot around in general. Except woods, lots of woods.

Writing this list has really helped me focus myself. I am completely open to corrections if I have made errors.

Here are my hang-ups:
I had a great gut feeling at Liberty, but I am having a hard time committing to a new program.
I also have a concern that what I see today will not be what is there when I am in my 2nd or 3rd or 4th year. Unfortunately, it seems like drastic curriculum changes are only a minor hiccup away.

And admittedly I am more sensitive to this because my curriculum was changed on me in nursing school (i.e. they added requirements that weren't in my matriculating catalog, and changed courses duration from a block style to running all semester). It sucks to feel powerless when the 'whims' of change are flowing, and you are in a professional program that you can't quit. I don't want that again.

And yet, here I am debating, because I had a great connection with the school (and it does have a longer pro list). Unlike some on SDN I do not think that either of these schools is a bad choice. In fact, I really liked them both. But I want to feel like I can have complete confidence in my DO school.

Help me out SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
LMU-DCOM

EDIT: I put my answer before I read your post.

Reactions: 3 users
I would go to LMU without hesitation.

Edit: GL, man!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can say with confidence the majority on sdn will tell you to go to LMU and to not even consider LUCOM...or theyll tell you 'whatever feels right.' Im as clueless on you on this one! I hope you find your answer!

I will counter your con list:
1) Self study time will be increased to 6 weeks (with a few mandatory things here and there)
2) Rotations will be done all over the place for most DO schools (but with a central core site). They will also let you do rotations in your home area, if you are able to set them up by yourself (that part is awesome but sucks at the same time).
3) Out of all the rural town schools. This one is probably the closest to a big city (1.25 hour drive from Knoxville).

Years ago I had everyone tell me to go to Nova over LECOM Bradenton. I am glad I didn't listen. Go with your gut.

I will counter your con list:
1) Self study time will be increased to 6 weeks (with a few mandatory things here and there)
2) Rotations will be done all over the place for most DO schools (but with a central core site). They will also let you do rotations in your home area, if you are able to set them up by yourself (that part is awesome but sucks at the same time).
3) Out of all the rural town schools. This one is probably the closest to a big city (1.25 hour drive from Knoxville).
Ty yeah, my buddy up in Kingsport residency pointed out this as well (#3). For me the home rotations would be harder if I wanted to move back to Fl (I have a wife and a baby, so I need more than a room, and I am not dragging them around a ton or leaving her alone if possible). So whereever my core is, is where I will be spending most of my time.

Unfortunately I was put in a funk at their interview due to one of my interviewers saying I was "average" when I asked for feedback. I believe he was being a little factitious now (they took me obviously) but it made me not have the same connection with DCOM as I did with other places I interviewed.

Last edited:
Years ago I had everyone tell me to go to Nova over LECOM Bradenton. I am glad I didn't listen. Go with your gut.

Thanks, I appreciate hearing from someone who had a simular situation.

You never know you might have liked NSU more!

Academically...maybe, but probably not. Board success is the single biggest determination of where you match. LECOM B's board success is very real. Not to mention that personally...all my friends were in Tampa and I am married to the woman of my dreams because of my ability to live in the Tampa area.

Academically...maybe, but probably not. Board success is the single biggest determination of where you match. LECOM B's board success is very real. Not to mention that personally...all my friends were in Tampa and I am married to the woman of my dreams because of my ability to live in the Tampa area.

I think you would have done well no matter where you went. But if being in Tampa was that important I get why you went to lecom!

I think you would have done well no matter where you went. But if being in Tampa was that important I get why you went to lecom!

Maybe. I also was a big fan of PBL. It was definitely for me. I think that it helps interpersonal skills immensely.

I am the type of person who can't stay still. If I'm not working...I have to be doing something. If I wasn't an achiever...I would probably get the OCD diagnosis.

PBL allows me to do things my way. I developed my own structure of learning...it worked for me...and it works for me now. I don't think that I would have done as well in a lecture based format. I'm sure I would have passed...but I would have had to learn the material the way the way the school wanted me to learn, then relearn it the way it made sense to me. Sounds like a bunch of wasted time. And for relaxation...Siesta Key vs Fort Lauderdale is an absolute no brainer. I will one day own a vacation house in Siesta Key...it is frickin paradise.

Members don't see this ad :)
LMU. I will note that the LUCOM Student Handbook is not available to outsiders on their website. Thus, one doesn't know the list of don'ts, of which, I am sure there are many. The "reporting a drinker" dictum is a novel one to me.

This is available only to registered users:
The LUCOM Academic Standards, Code of Conduct, and Media Policy is required of every COM student and is listed with the Academic Documents.
Maybe AnthonyW can share?

Some light reading, BTW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_in_the_Bible

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe. I also was a big fan of PBL. It was definitely for me. I think that it helps interpersonal skills immensely.

I am the type of person who can't stay still. If I'm not working...I have to be doing something. If I wasn't an achiever...I would probably get the OCD diagnosis.

PBL allows me to do things my way. I developed my own structure of learning...it worked for me...and it works for me now. I don't think that I would have done as well in a lecture based format. I'm sure I would have passed...but I would have had to learn the material the way the way the school wanted me to learn, then relearn it the way it made sense to me. Sounds like a bunch of wasted time. And for relaxation...Siesta Key vs Fort Lauderdale is an absolute no brainer. I will one day own a vacation house in Siesta Key...it is frickin paradise.
Well Lynchburg is definately not siesta key. And I am not sure whether either curriculum is heads and tails above the other for me. There is more time off for board study in DCOM tho.

It not really my place to release an official document but I can look up anything of concern and state it in my own words. In regards to alcohol and reporting violations:

"The College of Osteopathic Medicine seeks to provide a drug-free, healthy, and safe learning environment. No student should misuse alcohol, legal drugs or other legal medications, or use, possess, distribute, or sell illegal drugs or tobacco products.

When an alleged violation of the Academic or Personal Code of Conduct is brought to the attention of the faculty, staff, or administration, that allegation shall be presented to the Student Progress Committee for investigation, evaluation and recommendations to the Dean.

Every member of the College community has the duty to file a complaint with the SPC whenever it is felt a substantial violation of the code has occurred. Failure to report a violation of the code is itself a violation".

So, yes, failure to report a violation is a violation but I'm sure that's pretty common. Also, it states students should not misuse alcohol, legal drugs or legal medications. If alcohols is consumed responsibly, its probably not a "substantial violation" of the code.

LMU. I will note that the LUCOM Student Handbook is not available to outsiders on their website. Thus, one doesn't know the list of don'ts, of which, I am sure there are many. The "reporting a drinker" dictum is a novel one to me.

This is available only to registered users:
The LUCOM Academic Standards, Code of Conduct, and Media Policy is required of every COM student and is listed with the Academic Documents.

Some light reading, BTW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_in_the_Bible

I'm with Goro. LUCOM is not doing itself any favors by not listing their code of conduct. I believe that the code of conduct questions along with the potential for "feeling uncomfortable", discrimination, and "out of agnostic principal" are the primary concerns facing LUCOM. You aren't going to convert the agnostics, but you can be upfront with your code of conduct.

How much did LUCOM pay for you to write up all those pros?

Last edited:
It not really my place to release an official document but I can look up anything of concern and state it in my own words. In regards to alcohol and reporting violations:

"The College of Osteopathic Medicine seeks to provide a drug-free, healthy, and safe learning environment. No student should misuse alcohol, legal drugs or other legal medications, or use, possess, distribute, or sell illegal drugs or tobacco products.

When an alleged violation of the Academic or Personal Code of Conduct is brought to the attention of the faculty, staff, or administration, that allegation shall be presented to the Student Progress Committee for investigation, evaluation and recommendations to the Dean.

Every member of the College community has the duty to file a complaint with the SPC whenever it is felt a substantial violation of the code has occurred. Failure to report a violation of the code is itself a violation".

So, yes, failure to report a violation is a violation but I'm sure that's pretty common. Also, it states students should not misuse alcohol, legal drugs or legal medications. If alcohols is consumed responsibly, its probably not a "substantial violation" of the code.

Yeh...I think there stance on dissuading drugs and alcohol is very reasonable. I am concern about their "failure to report" policy. Seems vague with an opportunity to inappropriately punish. What does the term "substantial violation" mean? Is it trafficking drugs...or seeing a buddy get drunk in his apartment?

Yeh...I think there stance on dissuading drugs and alcohol is very reasonable. I am concern about their "failure to report" policy. Seems vague with an opportunity to inappropriately punish. What does the term "substantial violation" mean? Is it trafficking drugs...or seeing a buddy get drunk in his apartment?

I think it gives room for alcohol to be consumed without being reported unless it becomes a problem. It allows for intervention if students develop drinking problems. If your buddy is drinking a lot to cope with the stress you should be compelled to report it in order to get him help. Turning a blind eye can be very dangerous.

@Anthonyweiner :have you heard of any cases of this 'not reporting' a violation becoming a problem? It sounds scary to me but I doubt it is really a problem

@Anthonyweiner :have you heard of any cases of this 'not reporting' a violation becoming a problem? It sounds scary to me but I doubt it is really a problem
No I havent. Not reporting a violation being a violation is fairly standard in my opinion (but I did spend a while in the military where we have the same rule). Looking at the code of conduct, the substantial violations are things like theft, cheating, drug use, sexual assault and harassment, stalking, embezzeling, violating state or federal laws... Things you should feel morally obligated to report anyway.

The choice is obvious here. DCOM and don't look back. Liberty University is a joke and you shouldn't want to be affiliated with it in any manner.

Fun fact: Jesus drank wine on the reg.

Reactions: 4 users
Old Korean proverb: Beans come out from where beans are planted, and red beans come out from where red beans are planted.

I randomly picked several COMs (KCUMB, PCOM, MUCOM, MSUCOM, TUNCOM, ACOM and UNECOM), and did a google search for their student handbooks. ALL of them have available to the general public as PDFs. My school does as well.

Maybe this is just me, but this leads this New Yorker to immediately wonder: What do they have to hide?

Reactions: 7 users
Old Korean proverb: Beans come out from where beans are planted, and red beans come out from where red beans are planted.

I randomly picked several COMs (KCUMB, PCOM, MUCOM, MSUCOM, TUNCOM, ACOM and UNECOM), and did a google search for their student handbooks. ALL of them have available to the general public as PDFs. My school does as well.

Maybe this is just me, but this leads this New Yorker to immediately wonder: What do they have to hide?
Understandable, I'll ask about it during the next Dean's meeting.

No I havent. Not reporting a violation being a violation is fairly standard in my opinion (but I did spend a while in the military where we have the same rule). Looking at the code of conduct, the substantial violations are things like theft, cheating, drug use, sexual assault and harassment, stalking, embezzeling, violating state or federal laws... Things you should feel morally obligated to report anyway.
personally, i dont find anything weird about it either.

to OP, like I said before, it doesnt take a neurosurgeon to guess that SDN would largely favor LMU (or any COM) over LUCOM.

Okay some are asking what the alcohol violations are:

The line talks about possession, transfer, sale or use of illegal drugs and alcohol. Correct me if I am wrong, but possession of Alcohol appears to be an offense.

There is no threshold here for a BAL level, so I have to take it as being under any influence.

The list is about 30 things long, and most of them are pretty standard, although some are pretty vague.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that you may be somewhat limiting your options going to Liberty. I'm not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, but I asked a doctor (attending) where I work about LUCOM just to see what his reaction was and he laughed and said he'd never consider hiring anyone who went there. He has no problem with DO, but he does have a major problem with Liberty.

I am NOT trying to turn this into another stereotypical LUCOM thread--there are plenty of those elsewhere on these forums--just mentioning this simply because it's a factor to weigh when you're deciding whether to go there. Realistically you may be facing an uphill battle in some aspects of your career, which ultimately may not matter to you, so it's just something you have to weigh.

The choice is obvious here. DCOM and don't look back. Liberty University is a joke and you shouldn't want to be affiliated with it in any manner.

Fun fact: Jesus drank wine on the reg.

Just because this keeps coming up I will clue you guys in:
The word in that text (the water to wine story) for wine means grape juice either fermented or unfermented, but not specified. However, it would be inconsistent with Leviticus 10 where God called the priesthood to not drink, to think that Jesus (a High Priest in the order of Melchisedec Hebrews ch 7) made alcoholic wine and especially that He drank it. Those saying that the Bible doesn't specifically forbid wine/alcohol (except for priests) are partially correct. However, it can easily be shown that in 1st Peter 2:9 that Christians "are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;"

So long story short, Christians are supposed to be sanctified unto Christ, and part of a royal priesthood, which in regards to alcohol means no drinking.

If you care to know more http://www.biblebc.com/Studies/Discipleship/HTMLLessons/wine_and_strong_drink.htm

How much did LUCOM pay for you to write up all those pros?
Yeah, believe it or not, I actually liked the school when I visited. Even tho I feel like I may be too cautious to goto a new school, it doesn't mean its all bad at Liberty. Part of the reason I did the list is no one seems to have posted a really good summary of Liberty.

I will say that when I called to ask about the class ranking, they said that they don't want to talk about how it was specifically weighted because they haven't finalized it yet and want to avoid causing 'panic.' I inquired further, but no answers where forthcoming. They are more secretive than necessary IMO.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that you may be somewhat limiting your options going to Liberty. I'm not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, but I asked a doctor (attending) where I work about LUCOM just to see what his reaction was and he laughed and said he'd never consider hiring anyone who went there. He has no problem with DO, but he does have a major problem with Liberty.

I am NOT trying to turn this into another stereotypical LUCOM thread--there are plenty of those elsewhere on these forums--just mentioning this simply because it's a factor to weigh when you're deciding whether to go there. Realistically you may be facing an uphill battle in some aspects of your career, which ultimately may not matter to you, so it's just something you have to weigh.
This is something I think about. Liberty will definitely polarize some folks against you, but it will also endear others. But it is more polarizing than LMU is for sure.

Understandable, I'll ask about it during the next Dean's meeting.
Anthony, after going to the school for the better part of a year, how responsive are they to student input? Is it a 'my way or the highway' place or are they fairly responsive to student concerns?

I asked directly about the apparent disconnect between the handbook and what was said in the interview. I specifically quoted the admissions director stating that you are not a bad person if you were out a resturant having a glass of wine, and then pointed out that the handbook seems to condemn any and all drinking. The answer I got, was that many staff would not make a big deal out of it, but some would feel the need to talk to you and if the handbook said it was okay to have a glass of wine, than they wouldn't have a reason to talk to you about it. The impression I got, was that it might be faculty from the undergrad more than the DO folks.

Basically, the handbook forbids alcohol, but they may not enforce that rule and they certainly won't be checking your homes.

Last edited:
Anthony, after going to the school for the better part of a year, how responsive are they to student input? Is it a 'my way or the highway' place or are they fairly responsive to student concerns?
We have regular meetings with the dean as well as an established student government where we can bring up issues. Being the first class, some things are changed and modified on the fly usually as a result of class input or course reviews. Because of the fluidness of the past couple semesters, I can see why admin is reluctant to say or put out specifics until it solidifies (to avoid confusion and broken promises). I haven't personally had any issues I felt were important enough to bring up the chain but have seen the result of those that did.

We have regular meetings with the dean as well as an established student government where we can bring up issues. Being the first class, some things are changed and modified on the fly usually as a result of class input or course reviews. Because of the fluidness of the past couple semesters, I can see why admin is reluctant to say or put out specifics until it solidifies (to avoid confusion and broken promises). I haven't personally had any issues I felt were important enough to bring up the chain but have seen the result of those that did.
How many in your class have family? I understand Liberty has a much higher amount of non trads than normal, but I didn't see a number for people with families.

How many in your class have family? I understand Liberty has a much higher amount of non trads than normal, but I didn't see a number for people with families.
Married - maybe 25-30%, I'd guess about 15-20% with kids. I know there are a few more getting married this summer. Liberty is very family friendly and the SAA (student advocate association made up of spouses) does a lot for the class.

Just because this keeps coming up I will clue you guys in:
The word in that text (the water to wine story) for wine means grape juice either fermented or unfermented, but not specified. However, it would be inconsistent with Leviticus 10 where God called the priesthood to not drink, to think that Jesus (a High Priest in the order of Melchisedec Hebrews ch 7) made alcoholic wine and especially that He drank it. Those saying that the Bible doesn't specifically forbid wine/alcohol (except for priests) are partially correct. However, it can easily be shown that in 1st Peter 2:9 that Christians "are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;"

So long story short, Christians are supposed to be sanctified unto Christ, and part of a royal priesthood, which in regards to alcohol means no drinking.

If you care to know more http://www.biblebc.com/Studies/Discipleship/HTMLLessons/wine_and_strong_drink.htm

Yeah, believe it or not, I actually liked the school when I visited. Even tho I feel like I may be too cautious to goto a new school, it doesn't mean its all bad at Liberty. Part of the reason I did the list is no one seems to have posted a really good summary of Liberty.

I will say that when I called to ask about the class ranking, they said that they don't want to talk about how it was specifically weighted because they haven't finalized it yet and want to avoid causing 'panic.' I inquired further, but no answers where forthcoming. They are more secretive than necessary IMO. It makes it hard for me to take them at face value. So me and Goro might be having the same issue here.

The problem of religions isn't the interpretation of the holy books. It's the differences in the interpretations of a single book within the believers of same religion.
You may have learned to interpret the verses in your way based on that website or your pastor/priest but someone across the country may hold a completely different interpretation of the same verses.

(Not to point out that communion requires bread and WINE)

But hey, believe whatever you want to believe.

Personally, I dont see anything wrong with LUCOM. The only reason I would be hesitant to attend is due to the unnecessary bias than people have against the place stemming from its UG and Mr. Falwell or whatever his name is.

For some reason, I always got the impression that the medschool is much different than what other people think. Like the rules for the medschool are there to please its parent university/founders...and they are saying "dont do this" but shaking their head yes (not literally, but more in a "its OK but be smart about it" way). Or I could just be crazy.

In fairness to LUCOM, every med school in the country could have that in their student handbook's code of conduct and nobody would even notice it. But since LUCOM is affiliated with a Christian university, it will be under the microscope.

But at the same time LUCOM should know that it will be under scrutiny and word its code of conduct accordingly.

The problem of religions isn't the interpretation of the holy books. It's the differences in the interpretations of a single book within the believers of same religion.
You may have learned to interpret the verses in your way based on that website or your pastor/priest but someone across the country may hold a completely different interpretation of the same verses.

(Not to point out that communion requires bread and WINE)

But hey, believe whatever you want to believe.
Wine for communion is same word. Most Christians would agree that the Bible should be used as it's own interpreter, which would be consistent with what I told you earlier.
Personally, I dont see anything wrong with LUCOM. The only reason I would be hesitant to attend is due to the unnecessary bias than people have against the place stemming from its UG and Mr. Falwell or whatever his name is.

For some reason, I always got the impression that the medschool is much different than what other people think. Like the rules for the medschool are there to please its parent university/founders...and they are saying "dont do this" but shaking their head yes (not literally, but more in a "its OK but be smart about it" way). Or I could just be crazy.

The medschool is definitely different from what I saw when I was there. But the links to Jerry Falwell will not, and cannot be erased. Liberty is/was his school, and his son is still involved. That is not going away.

Last edited:
My first thought upon reading this was to remember a quote a former Dean of ours who once told the Faculty: "No medical school has ever been successfully sued if its actions were found to not be arbitrary or capricious."

IF a school behaves as described as below, it sure seems arbitrary AND capricious. The reasons schools have policies in the first place is to protect themselves and their students as such.

QUOTE="HandsomeRob, post: 16255975, member: 580678"]I asked directly about the apparent disconnect between the handbook and what was said in the interview. I specifically quoted the admissions director stating that you are not a bad person if you were out a resturant having a glass of wine, and then pointed out that the handbook seems to condemn any and all drinking. The answer I got, was that many staff would not make a big deal out of it, but some would feel the need to talk to you and if the handbook said it was okay to have a glass of wine, than they wouldn't have a reason to talk to you about it. The impression I got, was that it might be faculty from the undergrad more than the DO folks. I told him that I found this sort of vague, and wished for them to just come out and forbid alcohol or forbid specifically getting drunk. And I thought they should pick one of those and just stick to it, even in interviews. The grey area is not good.

Basically, the handbook forbids alcohol, but they may not enforce that rule and they certainly won't be checking your homes. However, you are giving a lot of leeway to the higherups with a policy like that. I tend to like things very clear.

This sticks out especially to me because DCOM's handbook is not only clear, but very fair (if you are accused, they tell you who did it, you see the asst. dean and they decide if you need to goto committee, you can appeal to the dean if your committee decision isn't good, etc).[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Wine for communion is same word. Most Christians would agree that the Bible should be used as it's own interpreter, which would be consistent with what I told you earlier.

The medschool is definitely different from what I saw when I was there. But the links to Jerry Falwell will not, and cannot be erased. Liberty is/was his school, and his son is still involved. That is not going away.

As far as I know, problems arise when individuals/groups interpret the words in their own way.
Some throw rocks at homosexuals, some give flowers to homosexuals
Some slash abortion clinic physicians with knives, some go to abortion clinic physicians for help
Some have sex before marriage, some save sex for after marriage
Some commit suicide, some lives out to be old and frail

Now, tell me whose interpretation of the words is right.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
These are the only two schools I have interviewed at this cycle... so far at least. I can say that I like the area around LUCOM better, I like the way the school looked it is a beautiful school, and I liked that they had Christmas decorations up when I visited. I would prefer to live in the Lynchburg area rather than Harrogate. The only thing I didn't like about LUCOM was the fact that they are a new school, plus one of the interviewers said something that was clearly a lie to make the school sound better. LMU-DCOM is a better school but it is in the middle of nowhere. Seems like a tough decision to be made, I probably would have though for a while too. But I was not accepted at LUCOM only at LMU-DCOM so my decision has been made for me. Hopefully you choose where you think you will do best!

Also have you been inside the LUCOM gym? It is nicer than any gym I have been to around 8 squat racks, 6 platforms, 5 flat benches, 7 basketball courts, 2 indoor soccer fields, indoor pool and a rock climbing wall.

Also have you been inside the LUCOM gym? It is nicer than any gym I have been to around 8 squat racks, 6 platforms, 5 flat benches, 7 basketball courts, 2 indoor soccer fields, indoor pool and a rock climbing wall.
that sounds really cool, but a bit excessive. Great way to blow off steam though!
If you dont mind me asking ,what did your interviewer lie to you about? or if you prefer me to PM u my question, that works too.

that sounds really cool, but a bit excessive. Great way to blow off steam though!
If you dont mind me asking ,what did your interviewer lie to you about? or if you prefer me to PM u my question, that works too.
The basketball courts seemed excessive but on a Tuesday night there were like 4 or 5 courts being used. The squat racks about 6 were being used and like 3 benches. I think they had a perfect amount of equipment, no wait time for anything. The gym at my undergrad school has 1 squat rack, no platfroms and 3 flat benches for a school with a 20,000 on campus students so I was pleased with the amount of equipment LUCOM has haha. Yeah go ahead an PM me.

The basketball courts seemed excessive but on a Tuesday night there were like 4 or 5 courts being used. The squat racks about 6 were being used and like 3 benches. I think they had a perfect amount of equipment, no wait time for anything. The gym at my undergrad school has 1 squat rack, no platfroms and 3 flat benches for a school with a 20,000 on campus students so I was pleased with the amount of equipment LUCOM has haha. Yeah go ahead an PM me.
Is this gym exclusive to the medical school?? if so, thats why i thought it sounded a bit excessive. From ^post it sounds like the UG uses it too, so it sounds much more reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.