Meharry vs Howard???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thyca

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding which one these HBUs I should attend: meharry or howard med school. Please, help! What are the advantages or disadvantages of each school? which one would you choose? Thanxxxx.

Members don't see this ad.

Thyca said:
I'm having a hard time deciding which one these HBUs I should attend: meharry or howard med school. Please, help! What are the advantages or disadvantages of each school? which one would you choose? Thanxxxx.

I think by virtue of being in the Metro DC area makes Howard an intriguing choice. I think it has a better overall reputation too. I had heard of howard before I started looking into medical schools, but had never heard of meharry.

I would go to Howard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howard? I would choose meharry. Howard has two reputations. They are supposed to be the better of the HBC's in medical educatuion, but from student feedback they leave you hanging with there pyramid system where the lower 10% must fail. Meharry will do all it can to make you a competent doctor. It depends on you.

What was your initial impression of these schools? Start with a pros/cons list (if you haven't already).

If you are concerned about location, I would choose Howard. However, if you have an interest in rural health, Meharry would be a better choice for the population that you would see in and around the Nashville area. Also, I didn't go to my interview there, but I've heard that Meharry has a very tight-knit community. Instead of posing this question here, you might be better off posting a thread in the allo forum. However, there are a few folks at these schools who have posted here (I can only think of divinemsm right now). Do a search and you should be able to find out more information. You could also search for the "Rallying my fellow URMs thread", where some folks have talked about these schools.

Best of luck in your decision making,
H&T

PS Bubba, activate your PM box. I tried to send you a msg, but it said that I couldn't.

verbalassasin said:
Howard? I would choose meharry. Howard has two reputations. They are supposed to be the better of the HBC's in medical educatuion, but from student feedback they leave you hanging with there pyramid system where the lower 10% must fail. Meharry will do all it can to make you a competent doctor. It depends on you.

First of all, to the original poster, congratulations on your acceptances. Secondly, I dont know what this pyramid system thing is about, never heard of it. Here at howard everyone has the opportunity to pass. If you score above 70% on an exam, you pass, period. Whether everyone does is a different matter. I dont know much about Meharry but I know here at howard, we are also a tightknit group. We watch out for each other and help each other and everyone is really nice. If anyone has any specific questions about howard, you can PM me or post here or whatever.