MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am waiting for Cornell result with my fingers crossed. I hope that i get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been accepted to Columbia? I had a phone interview with them and I’m getting really antsy about hearing back :/

And to the person who asked, I only received the simple email from Katie at MN and an instructional email the day before.

Nothing here. I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and I was told I would hear back around the beginning of Feb.

Seems like many people are waiting on Cornell, hopefully we get an answer soon! Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an idea of when they will send us an email? I'm getting so anxious lol.

Does anyone have an idea of when they will send us an email? I'm getting so anxious lol.

I remember how nervous I was lol. I didn’t get my acceptance until some time between 3&4. If today’s the day you should be hearing soon !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back from Cornell yet, or is it just me? Sorry for the constant notifications, don't mean to be annoying.

Has anyone heard back from Cornell yet, or is it just me? Sorry for the constant notifications, don't mean to be annoying.
Nothing...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So, can we expect the decision on monday or at the end of the month?

Guys i need a help. SOPHAS has not verified my application in over 6 weeks now. I hav mailed them regarding that and there has been no reply. How can i contact them and hasten the process?

So, can we expect the decision on monday or at the end of the month?

I don’t know... Dr. Carmalt told me yesterday, during my interview, that’d we’d be notified today

I don’t know... Dr. Carmalt told me yesterday, during my interview, that’d we’d be notified today

She told me that they had alot of interviews in December to decide on and they'd only possibly get to the 1/4 interview candidates today. She said if they did make a decision, we'd get the email early next week

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember how nervous I was lol. I didn’t get my acceptance until some time between 3&4. If today’s the day you should be hearing soon !

You're so lucky you already know hahaha

Lol I applied as early as possible back in Sept/Oct just do I can avoid what you guys are going through.

It was terrible playing the waiting game back then, I couldn’t imagine waiting all the way up until January

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone applied to Yale's MPH Health Care Management program, I just got an acceptance! So decisions are on the way!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if JHU is actually waiting til Jan. 15 to begin reviewing/notifying applicants? The wait is killing me!

Has anyone heard from University of Minnesota?

Does anyone know if JHU is actually waiting til Jan. 15 to begin reviewing/notifying applicants? The wait is killing me!
It sounds like @jjsdiner has already had an interview and been verbally accepted, but they told me multiple times that their official answer is that they will begin reviewing on the 15th. So I don't know what to think or expect from them.

School: WUSTL
GPA: Cumulative 3.14 and Major 3.01 (not great start but upward trend throughout every semester)
GRE: V 168 (98%), Q 164 (87%), W 5 (93%)
Major: healthcare management (minors in math and French)
Experience (professional or otherwise)
-was an NIH grants manager
-work in health IT currently
-worked at a marketing start-up, was not fun and made me realize I was meant to work in healthcare
-a bunch of volunteer work not directly related to healthcare
Special Factors:
-LGBT, finished my degree early (more for financial reasons), took computer science courses after graduation for fun

Applied: Tulane, U-Michigan, U-Minnesota, JHU, Columbia, UNC-Chapel Hill, U-Washington (all on 10/1)
Interview: JHU (10/26), U-Minnesota (1/5), UNC-Chapel Hill (1/12), Tulane (1/26), Columbia (12/20), U-Michigan (1/9)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (11/21)
Attending:

Hey! For JHU did u get into their MHA or MPH program?

Hey! For JHU did u get into their MHA or MPH program?
I got into their MHA program. And yeah, @AbeWoodhull is right. However, my official acceptance letter didn't come until almost a month after my verbal acceptance, and I still haven't heard anything about financial aid yet (hopefully later in the month though). So it's possible that admissions just jumped the gun with me since I applied so early and the other offices are just waiting until after 1/15 to start processing things like financial aid and such.

Last edited:
Has anyone had their interview with Michigan yet? Any tips? Mine is coming up and I’m feeling extremely anxious...

I’m assuming schools tend to ask similar questions: why do you want to go here, why public health/health care administration...

Has anyone had their interview with Michigan yet? Any tips? Mine is coming up and I’m feeling extremely anxious...

I’m assuming schools tend to ask similar questions: why do you want to go here, why public health/health care administration...

Most general advice I could give you is:
- Why MHA and the school?
- Review resume and personal statement to show how your experiences and ambitions are tied together
- Research the school’s alumni, courses, faculty, etc.
- Practice general interview questions (i.e. stress, leadership, etc.)
- Find out a little about your interviewer if possible to find a shared interest
- Don’t be stiff—be comfortable having a conversation

Most general advice I could give you is:
- Why MHA and the school?
- Review resume and personal statement to show how your experiences and ambitions are tied together
- Research the school’s alumni, courses, faculty, etc.
- Practice general interview questions (i.e. stress, leadership, etc.)
- Find out a little about your interviewer if possible to find a shared interest
- Don’t be stiff—be comfortable having a conversation

Very helpful! Thank you!

I just had my interview today! It was REALLY relaxed. She basically asked me to tell her about myself and to tell her about my previous leadership experiences. Then, we talked about some experiences that I mentioned on my CV and talked about the program. I went in person, so I got to see around SPH too which was really cool! My best advice would be to have questions prepared and to just know your purpose and resume.

For those who have decided on where they are attending: What now? I couldn't be happier to not be constantly refreshing my email every 2 minutes, but now that I've decided on where I'm going, I have absolutely no idea what to do next lol. I guess I have to wait until February or March when more people start committing to schools before the nexts steps begin huh

School: University of Michigan
Cumulative/Major GPA: 3.51/3.64
GRE: 163V/160Q/4.0AW
Major: Biomolecular Science
Experience: Campus job for over 1.5 years, 3 leadership positions for a volunteering club

Special Factors: First-generation, low-income, senior in undergrad

Applied: BU (12/22), Columbia (12/24), Emory (12/22), GWU (12/15), Iowa (12/22), JHU (12/22), Pitt, SLU, UCLA (12/22), UM (12/15), UMN (12/23), Yale (12/22)
Interview: Iowa (1/12)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Just got the email invite for an interview with Michigan.

Could anyone tell me about their GWU interview? Just received an invite for Friday

Could anyone tell me about their GWU interview? Just received an invite for Friday

My GWU interview was odd. I wasn’t asked many questions. Only why MHA and Why GW then the rest of the time was spent answering my questions. It seemed like they already had their decision made before the interview and the interview was just protocol.

I loved it! A bit scary but the program is really amazing. We were the first Interview day.
That's good to hear! Do you plan on attending? What was the experience like interviewing with three different people -- does each interview have a different series of questions they ask?

That's good to hear! Do you plan on attending? What was the experience like interviewing with three different people -- does each interview have a different series of questions they ask?

Each interview is tailored so, no not the same over and over! I am thinking it will be where I go, I am waiting to hear on financial aid from one last place! I even denied other interviews because I loved the program so much.

What does anyone know about the programs at SLU vs OSU? I have been accepted to both and have to choose. I don’t want to sit on two offers. I have been offered a GRA position at SLU as well, but I’ve heard it may be headed in a negative direction.

I’ve also been offered interviews at Rush and Minnesota. Any advice on those? Thanks!

Do you how much tuition is at SLU, and how much the GRA position covers? Their website kind of lacks transparency.

Got an interview with Minnesota!!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you how much tuition is at SLU, and how much the GRA position covers? Their website kind of lacks transparency.

Hey! I think it depends on the person, actually. Their offers are not standard so they don't publish it (I believe)

ACCEPTED TO CORNELL!

Reactions: 6 users