This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm1030193

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how long it usually takes for the MI state board to process your pharmacist application and verify your eligibility to sit for the boards?

I submitted my application a long time ago, yet it still says "eligibility requested" on the NABP website. According to the MI health licensing website, it says it can take 6-8 weeks to process an application once it is received. I am hoping this isn't the case, since I was hoping to take my boards in early/mid June.

Any information would be extremely appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how long it usually takes for the MI state board to process your pharmacist application and verify your eligibility to sit for the boards?

I submitted my application a long time ago, yet it still says "eligibility requested" on the NABP website. According to the MI health licensing website, it says it can take 6-8 weeks to process an application once it is received. I am hoping this isn't the case, since I was hoping to take my boards in early/mid June.

Any information would be extremely appreciated!

I'm not sure if this might be answering your question, but I'm also seeking for licensure in MI as well.

I believe as of May 1st of this year, the State BOP of MI (LARA) changed their process for licensure approval. The state no longer takes care of eligibility for the boards and this process needs to be done through NABP. From my understanding after speaking with both LARA and NABP, paperwork needs to be directed to NABP for eligibility approval and registration. The LARA website states that you need to pass both NAPLEX and MPJE before even applying for pharmacist licensure, so technically the main body to approve you to take the exam would be NABP themselves, just so long as you have set Michigan as primary jurisdiction.

In a way, I feel it's a bit easier since you don't need to seek state approval for sitting for the boards and NABP is your main facilitator now. I'm trying to understand the licensure process as well, so please clarify my points if I'm missing anything huge. I spoke to someone over at NABP and they ran through the process fairly quick, I couldn't catch all of it.

Please let me know anything else you find too! Thanks!

I'm not sure if this might be answering your question, but I'm also seeking for licensure in MI as well.

I believe as of May 1st of this year, the State BOP of MI (LARA) changed their process for licensure approval. The state no longer takes care of eligibility for the boards and this process needs to be done through NABP. From my understanding after speaking with both LARA and NABP, paperwork needs to be directed to NABP for eligibility approval and registration. The LARA website states that you need to pass both NAPLEX and MPJE before even applying for pharmacist licensure, so technically the main body to approve you to take the exam would be NABP themselves, just so long as you have set Michigan as primary jurisdiction.

In a way, I feel it's a bit easier since you don't need to seek state approval for sitting for the boards and NABP is your main facilitator now. I'm trying to understand the licensure process as well, so please clarify my points if I'm missing anything huge. I spoke to someone over at NABP and they ran through the process fairly quick, I couldn't catch all of it.

Please let me know anything else you find too! Thanks!

From my understanding, all that you said is correct! It is quite confusing, and somewhat frustrating since there was no information provided about these changes until they happened (at least that I was aware of!) Not knowing that anything was changing, I applied early for my NAPLEX/MPJE on the NABP website before May 1st. I spoke with LARA and apparently applying on the NABP website is what determines if you met the date cut off or not. So I believe that LARA will still be granting eligibility in that case.

I’m just concerned about being able to take my boards before starting my new position, since the LARA website says it may take 6-8 weeks to process applications once they are received. So I’m not sure if this means it will take 6-8 weeks for my eligibility to be granted? I called this week and they didn’t even have my application in the system yet.

For those having NABP verify their eligibility, this also seems stressful since it usually takes about ~2 weeks to receive MPJE results. If it really takes 6-8 weeks for the application processing, we’re looking at not hearing anything for 8-10 weeks after taking the boards. Not quite sure if I’m understanding the entire process correctly though.

It just seems that either way, it’s going to be difficult to get licensed in a timely manner this year. Not sure if it has always taken this long, or if it’s just due to the changes this year!

From my understanding, all that you said is correct! It is quite confusing, and somewhat frustrating since there was no information provided about these changes until they happened (at least that I was aware of!) Not knowing that anything was changing, I applied early for my NAPLEX/MPJE on the NABP website before May 1st. I spoke with LARA and apparently applying on the NABP website is what determines if you met the date cut off or not. So I believe that LARA will still be granting eligibility in that case.

I’m just concerned about being able to take my boards before starting my new position, since the LARA website says it may take 6-8 weeks to process applications once they are received. So I’m not sure if this means it will take 6-8 weeks for my eligibility to be granted? I called this week and they didn’t even have my application in the system yet.

For those having NABP verify their eligibility, this also seems stressful since it usually takes about ~2 weeks to receive MPJE results. If it really takes 6-8 weeks for the application processing, we’re looking at not hearing anything for 8-10 weeks after taking the boards. Not quite sure if I’m understanding the entire process correctly though.

It just seems that either way, it’s going to be difficult to get licensed in a timely manner this year. Not sure if it has always taken this long, or if it’s just due to the changes this year!

Thanks for clarifying! I would definitely call LARA back to see if I need to have an application filled out in order to sit for boards, and at the same time have filled out another application. Their pharmacist licensure application pdf file has updated on the website as well. The only major change on it is just notation on having to pass the boards before even filling the form out.

In my opinion, what I would do is focus my communications with NABP for the time-being and go through them to seek eligibility. I don't think the 6-8 weeks applies to eligibility grants. It may possibly be for board examinations screening and all the other processing materials through the state. Nonetheless, I do agree, that it's going to take some time for licensure eligibility, registration, and state approval. Get through and speak with an NABP representative and ask them if you need to just solely go through them for eligibility and registration for the state of Michigan. I am thinking that, especially for new graduates, paperwork needs to be filed through them. Michigan LARA will not have anything to do with your paperwork unless you pass boards first I believe.

I have a few questions though, is registration for the MI MPJE similar to registering for NAPLEX? If it's not, what channels would I need to go through to be eligible to take their state law exam? Also, would it be in my best interest to select Michigan as my primary jurisdiction even though I am from out of the state? What is the main difference in doing this honestly? I'm an out of state resident and deciding to practice in Michigan. Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't take that long, I submitted my application last year and it took them around a month to approve it. That being said, I don't know if this is changed in light of the new system you guys have mentioned.One thing that I need to mention, I had to call LARA and verify my intern hours/papers with them in order for my application to be accepted, their first response was your application is missing this and that and when I told them I sent these papers on these dates they put me on hold and when they came back they were like OK you're all set, I got the official approval soon after, so my advice is keep contacting the NABP (or LARA) in case they are still waiting on something that you've already sent.

Reactions: 1 user
It shouldn't take that long, I submitted my application last year and it took them around a month to approve it. That being said, I don't know if this is changed in light of the new system you guys have mentioned.One thing that I need to mention, I had to call LARA and verify my intern hours/papers with them in order for my application to be accepted, their first response was your application is missing this and that and when I told them I sent these papers on these dates they put me on hold and when they came back they were like OK you're all set, I got the official approval soon after, so my advice is keep contacting the NABP (or LARA) in case they are still waiting on something that you've already sent.

Definitely a good thing to know and thank you. I just got my pharmacist intern license approved and should be expecting it in the mail anytime soon. I guess there's the additional $85 processing fee you pay to NABP to find out eligibility now since LARA no longer manages eligibility. Will for sure be in close contact with NABP until registration is approved. Thanks again!

For michigan people out here. how did you study for law?

Created an account on the Michigan Pharmacists Association website, paid for the 3 hour audio lecture on law. Listened to that 2-3 times and did some practice exams online. Spent about 10 hours total studying but then again I've been a licensed pharmacist in two other states for five years so federal stuff is pretty easy.