Midwestern C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they match for residencies as well?
We did have several students match to lab animal and clinical pathology residencies. Most other residencies require the applicant to complete a one year internship first.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We did have several students match to lab animal and clinical pathology residencies. Most other residencies require the applicant to complete a one year internship first.
Thank you so much for the info!

VERY COOL! DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW MANY ALTERNATES CALLED IN LAST YEAR TO START...SAY FROM A POOL OF 300? ALSO, HOW COMPETITIVE ARE THE INTERNSHIPS OR RESIDENCIES?
If you are interested in an internship or residency following vet school check out the VIRMP website. Here is the link from this years match. Overall internship match rate is ~65% and residency is ~30% but check the list for the specific internship or residency because it can vary greatly based on specialty! https://www.virmp.org/Content/Match2018Summary.pdf

They will be fully credited! They needed an 80% NAVLE passing rate and the 4th Years got 91% (not incuding the ones that get to take it again in April and that will count towards the overall passing percentage). So as soon as the 4th years walk across the stage, MWU will officially be accredited!

Also, one more thing to add MWU have the highest internship matching rate in the entire country!
Awesome! I have another quick question... Do you find yourself having enough spare time that you dont feel extremely overwhelmed? And are there part time jobs that are offered by the university, like working at the hospital?

Is it safe to assume that if I've been on the interview waitlist since September and haven't heard anything yet, that I have been rejected? lol I've been ghosted by this school

Reactions: 2 users
Is it safe to assume that if I've been on the interview waitlist since September and haven't heard anything yet, that I have been rejected? lol I've been ghosted by this school
I'm in the same boat, as far as I know they won't officially reject us until the entire class is filled so that could be a bit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I started to assume that I’ve been rejected at this point :laugh::laugh:
I know they told me last time in feb. that if I’m offered an interview they will let me know via email but it’s almost the deadline to submit decisions

MWU admissions:
latest

I'm in the same boat, as far as I know they won't officially reject us until the entire class is filled so that could be a bit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

I started to assume that I’ve been rejected at this point :laugh::laugh:
I know they told me last time in feb. that if I’m offered an interview they will let me know via email but it’s almost the deadline to submit decisions

MWU 4th years have externships at my work place. I had one recently say he wasn't called until after April off the interview waitlist and was then placed on the alternate list and he was called 2 weeks before classes and offered a seat. Don't lose hope!
I'm on the alternate list, his story is keeping me hanging on!

Reactions: 4 users
Awesome! I have another quick question... Do you find yourself having enough spare time that you dont feel extremely overwhelmed? And are there part time jobs that are offered by the university, like working at the hospital?
Honestly, a lot of times I do feel overwhelmed. I take every Friday off from studying just so I can lay in bed and watch tv for an evening. Spare time isn’t much of a thing anymore unless I’m eating (some people even study while eating but I need a break). As far as jobs, there are plenty on campus! A lot of students work at the equine bovine clinic and they are really flexible and understanding of school work. I do recommend getting through at least your first two quarters before working though just so you know how the workload is

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I found the staff at MWU phenomenal and the facilities/grounds absolutely gorgeous, I will be declining my acceptance to attend my IS school. I really hope this helps one of you out! Don't lose hope! :cat:

Reactions: 5 users
Just declined my offer (was not waitlisted) hope it helps one of you out!

Declined my offer today! Good luck to all of those attending and those on the waitlist don't give up hope :)

Has anyone heard anything from the waitlist?

Has anyone heard anything from the waitlist?

I reached out to an admissions counselor yesterday that I've had contact with over the last few months and she told me all the seats have been officially filled. Right now they will not be calling anyone off the waitlist. If anyone who has deposited decides they aren't interested in attending from now up until orientation in the Fall then they will call off the waitlist. It's going to be a long summer of waiting for all of us that are on the waitlist.

I reached out to an admissions counselor yesterday that I've had contact with over the last few months and she told me all the seats have been officially filled. Right now they will not be calling anyone off the waitlist. If anyone who has deposited decides they aren't interested in attending from now up until orientation in the Fall then they will call off the waitlist. It's going to be a long summer of waiting for all of us that are on the waitlist.
I wonder why there is so much less waitlist action this year compared to previous years. Quite a few people have posted that they've vacated their slots. They must've overaccepted by quite a few

It would have been nice to have gotten an email from them to keep everyone in the loop. Thanks for finding this out!

I wonder why there is so much less waitlist action this year compared to previous years. Quite a few people have posted that they've vacated their slots. They must've overaccepted by quite a few

That must be the case. I was confused by it too because I felt the same way seeing quite a few people declining their seats I thought for sure they would call some of us off the waitlist. Kinda unfair to those of us on the waitlist to overaccept by so many so that we don't really get a chance.

It would have been nice to have gotten an email from them to keep everyone in the loop. Thanks for finding this out!

I totally agree. I was kinda pissed that they didn't feel the need to reach out to those of us on the waitlist to let us know what's going on. I'm sure almost all of us need to be aware if we need to lean onto a backup plan if we can't get accepted to MWU so giving us a heads up would have been fair. You're welcome, I'm glad to share with y'all and it's good to know others are in the same boat as me!

Yes I agree. Thank you LiliacBecky for sharing!!!

I totally agree. I was kinda pissed that they didn't feel the need to reach out to those of us on the waitlist to let us know what's going on. I'm sure almost all of us need to be aware if we need to lean onto a backup plan if we can't get accepted to MWU so giving us a heads up would have been fair. You're welcome, I'm glad to share with y'all and it's good to know others are in the same boat as me!

Just an FYI....

Last year I was in the same boat as all of you. All seats and deposits were filled and paid during this time. What y'all forget is that many people have made a deposit to Midwestern to hold their seat because they were accepted to only this school and many will give up their seat when they get off of the waitlist at their 1st choice school.

This is NOT the end. I was one of the first called off the waitlist last year and it didn't happen until May 2nd!! Some of my classmates were accepted off of the waitlist in JULY! Don't give up hope just because you are waitlisted and they said the class is full. Things change. People change which school they are going to and you never know when you might get in.

Just remember to be classy when you respond to this thread. You never know who's watching what you have to say. If you wouldn't post it with your name attached to it here, then don't post it at all.

Keep your heads up. I PROMISE you there is still hope. :love:

Reactions: 8 users
Just remember to be classy when you respond to this thread. You never know who's watching what you have to say. If you wouldn't post it with your name attached to it here, then don't post it at all.

This is good advice for the sum total of SDN. Well said. Hope that things are going well for you at MWU. We had some folks from Midwestern visit us at NC State this year, and they were lovely. Had lots of good things to say about there experience in Arizona :)

Just an FYI....

Last year I was in the same boat as all of you. All seats and deposits were filled and paid during this time. What y'all forget is that many people have made a deposit to Midwestern to hold their seat because they were accepted to only this school and many will give up their seat when they get off of the waitlist at their 1st choice school.

This is NOT the end. I was one of the first called off the waitlist last year and it didn't happen until May 2nd!! Some of my classmates were accepted off of the waitlist in JULY! Don't give up hope just because you are waitlisted and they said the class is full. Things change. People change which school they are going to and you never know when you might get in.

Thank you for the advice. I very much appreciate it. When I said that I wasn't saying it to be disrespectful at all, I promise. I was saying it because I was emotionally drained after having spent the previous day crying all day because I have zero backup plans and the odds of being the 1 out of 90 people pulled of the waitlist when you hear the class is full is just hard to hear after having spent months waiting in limbo with no other plans for my future. I was just trying to convey my sadness and frustration with the process as a whole for having to wait so long and not hear anything at all, not at any people. But hearing your news makes me feel a bit better and I'm looking into applying to some vet tech schools in the meantime if I don't hear any positive news from MWU.

Yes I agree. Thank you LiliacBecky for sharing!!!
Of course, I'm glad to have been some help to people in the same boat as me!! :)

Last edited:
Just an FYI....

upload_2018-4-21_12-52-56.png

Thank you for the advice. I very much appreciate it. When I said that I wasn't saying it to be disrespectful at all, I promise. I was saying it because I was emotionally drained after having spent the previous day crying all day because I have zero backup plans and the odds of being the 1 out of 90 people pulled of the waitlist when you hear the class is full is just hard to hear after having spent months waiting in limbo with no other plans for my future. I was just trying to convey my sadness and frustration with the process as a whole for having to wait so long and not hear anything at all, not at any people. But hearing your news makes me feel a bit better and I'm looking into applying to some vet tech schools in the meantime if I don't hear any positive news from MWU.

I realize you were not being disrespectful I just wanted to remind you not to let it get to that point! :) I understand your frustration. I was 1 in 115 people on the waitlist last year. They don't rank the waitlist so you have no idea where you stand. Honestly, I completely thought there was NO chance I'd get in last year and then they called me. I know it won't work that way for everyone but it's entirely possible for them to go thru the entire waitlist over the summer.

Someone else mentioned earlier that they over accepted/why was it so hard to get off the waitlist this year. Here's my answers for that:

All schools over accept to a degree. But it's not as high as you think because if all students commit and stay committed, the veterinary college has to accommodate that. It's why there are 90+ on the waitlist. Our class was 115 people so that is probably what they've accepted or close to it and the waitlist is close to filling those seats in the event that almost all students end up going elsewhere.

As for why it's harder to get off the waitlist...it's probably due to the fact that this is MWU's accreditation year. At the end of the year we will have full accreditation from the AVMA and all of the people who were afraid to attend a school with "provisional accreditation" are reconsidering as well as deciding to attend. It was the same last year.

I know it's hard when you don't have a backup plan. I was just going to take a couple more courses to be able to apply to more schools for the next year. If you want to be a vet tech then go to vet tech school. If not, you may want to consider getting more hours in at a clinic and improving your application. Vet tech school credits do not count toward your GPA. I'm not saying don't go, I'm just saying to do whatever you can to improve your application :D

YASSSSSSSSSSS!! You definitely have a chance!! <3

I've had tons of midwestern students extern at my work and almost all of them were in similar situations we are all in.
They were on the waitlist and didn't get called off till May, June, even August (2 weeks before classes!)
Don't give up hope!

Hey everyone on the alternate list! I just wanted to let you all know I received a phone call today with an offer for a seat in the class. I was accepted to my in-state school last week though, so I declined their offer. Just letting you know the list is moving and there is still hope! Best of luck guys!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone! I was committed to Midwestern but just got called off the waitlist at another school so I will be giving up my spot! Hope this helps one of you out! Goodluck!

Reactions: 7 users
IMG_5051.jpg

Just here to give y'all some encouragement and support! You've got this! Don't give up :)

Reactions: 7 users
I know there is talk their class is full but a few people have been pulled off in the last two weeks and the wait aspect of being wait listed is killing me :nod:

I was offered a spot in their class yesterday and committed! Can't wait to meet you all! :)

I was offered a spot an hour ago!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone getting pulled off the waitlist and getting a seat!! Hope the waitlist keeps moving- hanging in suspense and waiting to hear news is a killer!

Silly question but it everyone being pulled off the waitlist were you notified via email or phone call??

Congratulations to everyone who has been contacted off of the waitlist! I'm very excited for you! At the same time, and I know others feel this way, it's so hard waiting to hear back from a school you really want to go to. When there is movement on the waitlist and it isn't you, you start to feel more hopeless with every position taken. I've been thinking back to my interview and wondering if there is anything I could have changed even though I know it's pointless to do so.

Has anyone done a file review with Midwestern yet? I don't know when we are allowed to start calling the admission office about that.

Congrats!!! :) Told you to hold out that hope girl! You just never know how far they will make it thru the waitlist!

Thank you so much you've been an amazing help for a lot of us applying to midwestern this cycle! You've been the voice of support and reason for quite a few of us!
I look forward to meeting all of you in a few months!!

Thank you so much you've been an amazing help for a lot of us applying to midwestern this cycle! You've been the voice of support and reason for quite a few of us!
I look forward to meeting all of you in a few months!!

Someone was kind enough to be my voice of support & reason and I am happy to do the same for y'all!! You're going to love Midwestern <3

Hi! Are any of y'all having trouble accessing the Schools app too or is it just me?

One of my friends goes to Midwestern and she just told me there is increasing their tuition by 4% next year...is anyone else worried about paying stuff off after this tuition increase? Does anyone have any advice?

One of my friends goes to Midwestern and she just told me there is increasing their tuition by 4% next year...is anyone else worried about paying stuff off after this tuition increase? Does anyone have any advice?

At the end of my interview day they handed out a packet with financial details. In that packet it said they expect tuition to rise by at least 4% EVERY year. If I remember correctly, they predicted the average yearly tuition for the class of 2022 to be something like $65k. As for how one might pay that off? Lol (lots of loans)