Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just had my interview here yesterday, fantastic school and the interview was WAY less stressful than any other school I went to. For those of you with an interview invite, be excited for this one!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dropping my interview her on Oct 13. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

+1, also, how many interviews does AZCOM offer per year on avg?

yeah if we figure out how many dates they have interviews and how many people per date, we can roughly figure it out.
i've heard it's 60%-70% but that from 2006 so that might not be true anymore

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah if we figure out how many dates they have interviews and how many people per date, we can roughly figure it out.
There were only 15 or so interviewees on my day...I assume that is about average.

They interview more in the winter because of the ideal weather. That's what I have heard.

I would totally understand if this seems like an over the top request but I'm flying to AZ next Thursday/Friday and plane ticket prices out there from the east coast is astronomically high for this grad student here.. I'm wondering if anyone knows how receptive AZCOM is to "I'm in the area" emails? Since it's so last minute, probably not so much?

I would totally understand if this seems like an over the top request but I'm flying to AZ next Thursday/Friday and plane ticket prices out there from the east coast is astronomically high for this grad student here.. I'm wondering if anyone knows how receptive AZCOM is to "I'm in the area" emails? Since it's so last minute, probably not so much?
I don't think you'll have much luck. Even though the overlords of AZCOM are indeed merciful (sometimes), one does not make such requests of them.

Check your student portals guys. Mine just changed to the Accepted Student Checklist (woo!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 9/19 and haven't heard back either. Congratulations to the acceptances! :)

Do those accepted just see the accepted student checklist tab? Or does a checklist actually come up when they click on it? I see the checklist too, but when I click on it it says "this checklist is available to accepted students" . I don't think that means I am accepted necessarily...right?

Do those accepted just see the accepted student checklist tab? Or does a checklist actually come up when they click on it? I see the checklist too, but when I click on it it says "this checklist is available to accepted students" . I don't think that means I am accepted necessarily...right?

I'm not 100% certain, but look at the post on the first page by @randomusername

No, everyone has that post-accepted checklist menu option available.

Only accepted students will get a real checklist on it though. If there's nothing to fill, then your decision hasn't been released yet.

We in the same boat brudda :(

I just saw the checklist.. Is it the one with "Matriculation Agreement", "Technical Standards Form", "Required Transcripts", and "Required Prerequisites"...?

However, I can't access to Matriculation Agreement.. so I am not sure.. I was interviewed last Friday only..

Got the accepted students checklist today! Interview on 9/23.

Midwestern is also starting to make their acceptance calls today!!

My portal changed this morning, too, and I interviewed yesterday! Can't wait until it's official!! :D

Well... alternate listed... Was definitely hoping for better news :(
3.3 sGPA, 3.55 cGPA, 31MCAT

Ignore/delete doublepost

Last edited:
I called them and they informed me I was alternate list, really thought I had a better shot :/
Anyone know if they typically pull from the alternate list?

I called them and they informed me I was alternate list, really thought I had a better shot :/
Anyone know if they typically pull from the alternate list?
I'm sorry to hear that :(
So you called because you don't see anything changed on portal?

Well... alternate listed... Was definitely hoping for better news :(
3.3 sGPA, 3.55 cGPA, 31MCAT
That's the worst. I was in your shoes last year, it's not fun but it's not over yet!

To those who have interviewed, what was the interview day like? Was there anything you liked or disliked about the panel interview? I only have experience with the MMI, so I'm not sure what to expect here.

Any <30 MCATers get any II lately? Are we all on hold?

Me too, Hope! I'm so excited. I didn't expect to see anything on the portal for at least a few days.

Lemon Lime, they outright said they wanted the interviews to be relaxed, and I think they succeeded. Most of the questions either were listed in the interview feedback here or related to an activity I had put on my application. They asked me about some activities that really had nothing to do with medicine, but that had been growing experiences personally, and from what I heard every group asked at least one getting-to-know-you type question like which three people, living or dead, you'd invite to dinner or what sort of kitchen appliance you'd be. Most of the questions focused on my experiences and how they had prepared me to succeed in med school. I got the impression that they wanted to like me, which helped keep the interview from feeling like an interrogation. If you have an interview, read the feedback on this site, think through how you'll answer some of the most common questions, and then relax and enjoy. The rest of the interview day was pretty standard: presentations on the school, a tour, lunch with current students, and lots of time to sit around and chat with other applicants. There was supposed to be a OMM demo as well, but it was canceled. The other applicants were interesting and friendly people, and I'm not sure you could design a less stressful interview experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted Student Checklist just appeared for me for AZCOM (with deposit, matriculation agreement, etc). Interviewed less than a week ago, and felt really good about it.

Accepted Student Checklist just appeared for me for AZCOM (with deposit, matriculation agreement, etc). Interviewed less than a week ago, and felt really good about it.
Congrats!

Just dropped the deposit. Lock, stock, the whole lot! My mind might change if my local MD lets me in, but that's pretty unlikely. I look forward to meeting everyone in July!

Those still waiting: don't let this get to you. I've been on this path for nine years since I got back from the wars and had zero luck last season. You will be successful, too! Keep the faith.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed monday, got my acceptance today (two days later)

Reactions: 1 users
Is the panel interview with 3 interviewers/1 applicant? Or is it 3 interviewers/many applicants at once?

Does this school silent reject? Should I assume I've been axed?

Complete August 9.... 3.5/30mcat

Does this school silent reject? Should I assume I've been axed?

Complete August 9.... 3.5/30mcat
I think you'll get a snail mail letter. At least, that's what it looks like from last year's thread. Hang in there.

You may be able to call and ask. You may not like what you'll here though =\ (been there before)
Sounds like the best course of action...gets you a definitive answer...

So I called AZCOM and they told me they aren't making a decision on my file until they have my grades from my grad program in December. Everyone still waiting should call and check on their status, they're really cool about letting you know whats up!

That's surprising, given it's a grad program... I thought most schools would just say in the acceptance agreement that you need to maintain a certain GPA or something like that. I'm taking orgo II this semester and I'm worried my application won't be looked at until the semester is over... Does anyone know how common it is (in general, not just AZCOM) to be put on hold until fall grades are in?