Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The campus is very nice. Everything is in close proximity and looks nice. The gym is a little lacking, but decent. The school is located very close to the highway, shopping malls, restaurants, and the train (not so much walking distance though). It's about 40-50 minutes from Chicago

Thanks for the reply! One more question, for the nights you have free, how is the nightlife?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply! One more question, for the nights you have free, how is the nightlife?
Not too bad. Chicago is great, but kind of far. But there are many bars nearby. I grew up in the area so I'm used to everything. Some one else may be better to answer that one unbiasedly

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the secondary this morning. Submitted! :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Visceral Flame is my class mate (even though I have no idea who it is) I would trust him!

I will be studying at MidWestern from Sep 2014-May 2015. Could you please recommend housing in the area? or maybe anybody is interested in splitting the rent? Thank you

Do they send an email when you are complete? My "Applicant Checklist" is all green checks.

I was hoping someone could provide more information on the curriculum...the school's website shows that there are 10 classes taught in the first quarter. I was curious how many weeks each class is and how they are scheduled each quarter. Thanks for the help!

I was hoping someone could provide more information on the curriculum...the school's website shows that there are 10 classes taught in the first quarter. I was curious how many weeks each class is and how they are scheduled each quarter. Thanks for the help!

I heard they were restructuring it but when I was a first year we started in August and had some classes in August which did not carry over into the first quarter which started in September so that is why it looks like so many classes
You do not have ten classes at once

Posted using SDN Mobile

So far, CCOM has been the top school for sending me the most correspondences compared to other schools. After submitting the secondary, I've gotten 2 or 3 e-mails explaining how great their schools is (that I'm appreciative of, good info presented) and just today I received an actual paper letter asking me to fill out their secondary application. The letter inside has the date of 6/20 which is the same date that I was e-mailed and completed their secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far, CCOM has been the top school for sending me the most correspondences compared to other schools. After submitting the secondary, I've gotten 2 or 3 e-mails explaining how great their schools is (that I'm appreciative of, good info presented) and just today I received an actual paper letter asking me to fill out their secondary application. The letter inside has the date of 6/20 which is the same date that I was e-mailed and completed their secondary.

There's a reason they get ~7k apps a year (4th or 5th highest I believe) [1]. CCOM has a good method. Send tons of correspondence to your applicants so they feel special and are more likely to fill out the secondary.

CCOM was the only one that sent me a letter. It costs a few cents to send out.

Last year I watched a bunch of people secondaries just to be rejected.

[1] Page 32 of the CIB

There's a reason they get ~7k apps a year (4th or 5th highest I believe) [1]. CCOM has a good method. Send tons of correspondence to your applicants so they feel special and are more likely to fill out the secondary .

[1] Page 32 of the CIB

That's what I was afraid of, just didn't want to say it out loud.

I'm honestly debating whether or not to fill out the secondary - this school is so damn expensive.

I'm honestly debating whether or not to fill out the secondary - this school is so damn expensive.

It's just ridiculous how much they charge. I didn't bother filling out the CCOM secondary.

I only went to my AZCOM interview because I had nothing to do that afternoon. After paying $50 I figured I might as well get some entertainment and lunch.

Do they have to have your LOR to give you a secondary? Or just the primary app has to be submitted?

Hi guys, does anyone know if the curriculum is problem based learning or didactic? or a hybrid?

I applied here! Good luck everyone.

Got the complete email today! Does anyone know if they have any sort of timeframe for getting back to us about interviews/final decisions? I think I read that interview invites go out in Augusta and interviews begin in September right? Can anyone confirm this?

Got the complete email today! Does anyone know if they have any sort of timeframe for getting back to us about interviews/final decisions? I think I read that interview invites go out in Augusta and interviews begin in September right? Can anyone confirm this?

This is what happened last year so it is likely.

Does anyone know what they mean by a LOR from a basic science professor? To make a long story short, I only have one science LOR and it's from my quantitative analysis professor. I have a committee letter that I'm using for all my MD schools and DO schools that require two science LORs. I am concerned about the quality of my committee letter, so for any school that only requires only one science LOR, I'm only submitting my individual letters. CCOM and AZCOM are schools that only require one science, but they say the LOR must be from a basic science professor. Would my letter count because it is from the chemistry department? If not, how likely would they be to overlook this and just count it anyway if I have solid stats (3.66, 3.43, 35)?

Does anyone know what they mean by a LOR from a basic science professor? To make a long story short, I only have one science LOR and it's from my quantitative analysis professor. I have a committee letter that I'm using for all my MD schools and DO schools that require two science LORs. I am concerned about the quality of my committee letter, so for any school that only requires only one science LOR, I'm only submitting my individual letters. CCOM and AZCOM are schools that only require one science, but they say the LOR must be from a basic science professor. Would my letter count because it is from the chemistry department? If not, how likely would they be to overlook this and just count it anyway if I have solid stats (3.66, 3.43, 35)?

Well, in the CIB it just says science faculty member (yes, I understand it says differently on their website). I think a chem. prof from undergrad would be sufficient. I mean you could always just call and ask. It would take you probably less than 5 minutes to get an answer.

Well, in the CIB it just says science faculty member (yes, I understand it says differently on their website). I think a chem. prof from undergrad would be sufficient. I mean you could always just call and ask. It would take you probably less than 5 minutes to get an answer.
I agree. The admissions department is usually very helpful. Give them a call

I believe last year IIs didnt come out till late august

Received II via email. I was complete on June 21st.

II at 9:02 this morning via email. I am OOS, 3.6 cGPA, 33 MCAT. I was complete on July 13. I scheduled my interview for September 19. 1st interview this cycle. So excited!

II at 9:02 this morning via email. I am OOS, 3.6 cGPA, 33 MCAT. I was complete on July 13. I scheduled my interview for September 19. 1st interview this cycle. So excited!

Congrats man! I was complete the same day, lower mcat though. Hopeing for ii here

II today! Only interview dates were mid-late september. They let me choose from four possible days, if anyone is wondering. Complete July 10.

Reactions: 2 users
137 male 66 female enrolled during first year wow!

Just recieved secondary here. States that I've met their minimum academic requirmeents which is quite shocking 3.63 GPA, 3.5 sGPA, 26 MCAT (6 VR).

Any current medical students know of anyone in their class who might have had similar stats? That will be my deciding factor as to weather to turn in this secondary or not.

I'm very interested in obtaining a dual degree (DO/MPH). I've searched CCOMs website and it doesn't look like they offer any dual degree programs. Does anyone know if they do/don't for sure?

I was complete July 7, still no interview. So upset. Everyone is getting interviews and I'm not. I'm beginning to think I won't get in anywhere. So sad