Mississippi State class of 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Along these lines... Is anyone looking for a roomate, or are most of you going to be living alone?

I come from a HUGE family and have always wanted something to call my own. So, for at least the first year, I am living solo.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had roommates the past two years and it's been hellish and distracting - I like studying at home because i have a dog, so I want to be able to control my environment without telling anyone else that they can't do something. So I too will be solo for this first year!

Does anyone know about leases? I saw a couple of places leases start in July/August. Do they make exceptions? Because I don't want to be living in my car for the first month of vet school.

Yay! Vet School! I'm excited :)

I've decided to go solo the first year too. Maybe i'll change my mind after the first year. . .

Leases... i noticed there are quite a few subleases with the option to renew at the end of summer. I spoke to a few landlords and they told me if i was considering a sublease that they would allow the current tenants to break their lease so i could start a new year-long lease instead of subleasing then starting a new lease at the end of summer. I've noticed though, there aren't that many online resources for rentals in Starkville!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm living alone for the first year as well. i found a place on craigslist to sublease for june and july, then come august i can sign a year lease. the rent is good for a one bedroom (at least compared to one bedroom apartments in columbus, oh), and there's only a $200 pet deposit and no monthly fee. the girl that was leaving just graduated from MSU undergrad and is moving to a new job in texas. she sent pics and the place is nice! so, i would definitely check craigslist for north mississippi and search starkville. you may get lucky like i did!

Where are you all looking for places? I'd like to find a place with other vet/grad students... and fewer undergrads.

Where are you all looking for places? I'd like to find a place with other vet/grad students... and fewer undergrads.

Do you think after a year or so down in MS, your "you all" will shorten to "y'all"?

Do you think after a year or so down in MS, your "you all" will shorten to "y'all"?

Hahahaha!!! Probably so...and you might even develop the southern accent, too! I'm from TX, but live in CO and my accent and "y'all" makes me stick out like a sore thumb! :rolleyes:

Haha.. Everyone I work with keeps saying that I will have an accent in no time. I'm sure we will pick up some things after living there for 4 years.

Does anyone know when we may be receiving incoming student information, like about housing, rabies vaccines, and tuition?

Does anyone know when we may be receiving incoming student information, like about housing, rabies vaccines, and tuition?

I asked the same question on the fb page earlier today, but no one has replied. I emailed Missy about it yesterday but haven't gotten a reply.

I am hoping soon!!! We start classes in less than 2 months and at this point I feel like I have no clue what's going on and have been anxious to get things in order but don't know where to start.

I asked the same question on the fb page earlier today, but no one has replied. I emailed Missy about it yesterday but haven't gotten a reply.

I am hoping soon!!! We start classes in less than 2 months and at this point I feel like I have no clue what's going on and have been anxious to get things in order but don't know where to start.

You'd think, given the amount of tuition you pay, they could manage to communicate a little better.

Not just MS, all vet schools. It drives me crazy.

Update for those still on the waitlist:

I emailed Missy today to see if I could find out any other information about the wait list and how long this process will last. She said :

"Yes, we have started calling alternates but, no, it is not anywhere near
being over. If I had to guess, I would say that the class would be pretty
much complete by the end of May. However, we still call people in June
but usually not as many.
. . if you've not heard from me by the end of May, call me and I'll tell
you more specifics."

Not really exciting news but at least it's an update!

Hello everyone! I am a member of the Class of 2014. I know several of you are wondering about specifics for your class. For us, they posted all important information on the Class page on mycourses. I do not know if yall had that info sent to yall but we did when we received our welcome packet. That page had books for sale, housing available, and info galore. So, if you overlooked that in the info packet then you might want to check it out!

As far as housing, I would stay away from places with a lot of undergrads! I had a lot of trouble this year with noise. I did not like being woken up at 1 am the night before a Physiology test. Wherever you end up leaving, choose wisely!!

We were able to get the Rabies shots at school. It was an easy process. Some people did get the shots ahead of time, but most of us waited.

As far as the waitlist, it is a long process. They have to call and give that person time to decide. Just be patient!

Anyways, if yall have any more questions, you can email me at [email protected].

Also, I have the veterinary microbiology, immunology, and epidemiology books for sale if you are in need of those!

Members don't see this ad :)
Update for those still on the waitlist:

I emailed Missy today to see if I could find out any other information about the wait list and how long this process will last. She said :

"Yes, we have started calling alternates but, no, it is not anywhere near
being over. If I had to guess, I would say that the class would be pretty
much complete by the end of May. However, we still call people in June
but usually not as many.
. . if you've not heard from me by the end of May, call me and I'll tell
you more specifics."

Not really exciting news but at least it's an update!

Thanks Niros!! I've been getting so impatient with this waitlist thing! I've already accepted a spot in a 1-year Master's program here at Colorado State b/c I've given up hope. I can always decline if I do end up getting into State though, but the first day of class for them is right around the corner! The thought of moving across the country w/ such short notice makes me nuts!!! Oh well...I'll definitely be calling Missy if I haven't heard anything by the end of May. Thanks again and good luck to you!

I have a few questions about the MSU program and I was wondering if any current MSU students might be able to help me with an answer.

First, what classes are first year students taking during the summer before the fall classes start? I heard we have to take "First Year CVM Medicine". What does that class happen to entail?

Second, do OOS students usually need a private loan to pay for tuition or will our financial aid basically cover our costs.

Big thanks go out to anyone who can help!

The "First Year CVM Medicine" class is just a formality. It's not actually a class you have to take. You won't be taking any actual classes before July 1st or whenever school starts for you.

Your financial aid will cover all of your tuition... no worries!!

The "First Year CVM Medicine" class is just a formality. It's not actually a class you have to take. You won't be taking any actual classes before July 1st or whenever school starts for you.

Your financial aid will cover all of your tuition... no worries!!

Wow, thanks a ton! I was worried about the tuition for a while now. Can't wait to start classes next month!!:D

Posting to let everyone know that I have given up my spot at MSU. I really loved the school but I think KSU is a better fit for my veterinary goals. Good luck to everyone still waiting & congratz to those already in!

Posting to let everyone know that I have given up my spot at MSU. I really loved the school but I think KSU is a better fit for my veterinary goals. Good luck to everyone still waiting & congratz to those already in!

Thanks for the update and congratulations!!! Good luck to those still waiting!

Sad to see you go... but congrats on KSU!!

I am an OOS waitlister for MSU and instate Auburn waitlister. Anyone have any updates on MSU?

I think I'm in shock right now but I got a call today from Missy offering me a seat in the class!!!
I have been determined for the last 4 application cycles to get in despite all of the set backs that have occurred in my life. Setbacks that I caused, and that were just dealt to me. I had decided that this was going to be my last application cycle if I did not get in. BUT I DID. AHHH! :) I empathize with the people reading this who have not gotten the call yet. My heart goes out to you and I hope you get good news like I did soon.

Ps. Hello to my soon to be fellow classmates! I'm excited to meet everyone and get started on this new phase of my life! Eekk! :D

I think I'm in shock right now but I got a call today from Missy offering me a seat in the class!!!
I have been determined for the last 4 application cycles to get in despite all of the set backs that have occurred in my life. Setbacks that I caused, and that were just dealt to me. I had decided that this was going to be my last application cycle if I did not get in. BUT I DID. AHHH! :) I empathize with the people reading this who have not gotten the call yet. My heart goes out to you and I hope you get good news like I did soon.

Ps. Hello to my soon to be fellow classmates! I'm excited to meet everyone and get started on this new phase of my life! Eekk! :D

Congratulations!!! Can you believe we start classes in about a month??

Come join us on fb!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_129718617097989&ap=1

I know this probably isn't the best spot to put this, but I figured you all are a group of incoming students at MSU, I'm an incoming student at MSU, and at least one of you mentioned housing, so it was worth a shot. I was accepted in the PhD program in School Psychology and will be starting classes in August. I'm planning on moving down to Starkville in the beginning of August. If anyone is looking for a roommate at that time, or has housing suggestions, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks for letting me hijack your thread for a quick minute :)

Anybody know if the class is full?? I emailed Missy last week, but never heard back from her. I figure she is really busy. I am still hopeful, but starting to wonder if I should still be. I am planning my back up plan to reapply next year. . . here's still hoping and congrats to all who are in!:)

Anybody know if the class is full?? I emailed Missy last week, but never heard back from her. I figure she is really busy. I am still hopeful, but starting to wonder if I should still be. I am planning my back up plan to reapply next year. . . here's still hoping and congrats to all who are in!:)

I'm not sure; when I called beginning of last week I talked to someone that wasn't missy and she didn't give me any info. I wish missy had picked up! I called today and there was a recording that she is out of the office. I'm starting to loose hope as well and applying to ross and smu.....

Losing hope, really thought they might call some people today... :(

I wish I knew what # I was on the waitlist so I could determine if I should be holding my breath for a call, or getting my **** together to apply for round 3.

Just wish I had some slight idea. I really want to know asap if I am going to get off because I need to give notice at work and I want some time to find an apartment, get packed and move across the country.

Mostly, I think I have lost hope, chances are they won't be calling anybody again until Tuesday, which is pretty much the beginning of June and they said they don't really call as many people off the waitlist...uhh.

This sucks....:(

Just to give you some hope DVMDream I was called mid May and I had until the beginning of June to give a final response. So don't give up hope that you wont be one of those people called in June. Even if it is only a few people, it could be you. I know what its like though to be waiting with out any shred of a clue as to whether or not you are going to be called.

Also, the facebook group only has about 50 members. And from what it looks like some of the members are upperclassman who have joined the group to say congrats, post hosing info, etc. A lot of the group also seems to be IS students. I know some people in the class may not have facebook, or may not have found the group... but it's not like theres 85 members that are all first year students.

I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for you DVMDream!!!

Also, the facebook group only has about 50 members. And from what it looks like some of the members are upperclassman who have joined the group to say congrats, post hosing info, etc. A lot of the group also seems to be IS students. I know some people in the class may not have facebook, or may not have found the group... but it's not like theres 85 members that are all first year students. DVMDream!!!

From the FB page, there seems to be about 15 out-of-state first years, but like LovingLife10 said, not everyone is on the fb page, so I have no clue where the class currently stands.

Also, according to the registrar's website, only 42 students have registered for classes, out of 86 seats. But that doesn't differentiate between in-state and out-of state and not everyone who has accepted a seat may have registered yet.

Hey... I emailed Dr. Meiring about 2 weeks ago... and he told me that the class of 2015 was pretty much full and that very few calls would be made after that point.

He told me personally that I most likely would not be getting in this year! I am feel pretty certain, that this applies to most everyone across the board. Very sad news I know, but I figured that it would help those that are continuing to wait!

I wish you all the best of luck in the future!

I talked to Missy a couple weeks ago and she told me the same thing that Dr. Meiring told GretaBug...the class is full and there probably won't be any more calls off the wait list.

Oh well...It obviously wasn't meant to be this time around. Keep your chins up and knock 'em dead next year!

I talked to Missy a couple weeks ago and she told me the same thing that Dr. Meiring told GretaBug...the class is full and there probably won't be any more calls off the wait list.

Oh well...It obviously wasn't meant to be this time around. Keep your chins up and knock 'em dead next year!

Not cool :(

Like you said, oh well. Besides, I'm too old for a dress code :) Congrats to everyone who did make the cut.

Not cool :(

Like you said, oh well. Besides, I'm too old for a dress code :) Congrats to everyone who did make the cut.

Just saw this:

June 2, 2011

Hello, Everyone!

Currently we have filled all positions for our Class of 2015 here at Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine. There is still a possibility that we will call people on the alternate list, i.e. the wait list, between now and June 30; however, the chances of our doing so at this point are very slim.

Thank you for your patience and your interest in MSU-CVM.