This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
also from other forums ive been reading just now it sounds like they call in waves and could call tomorrow as well. They've done that in past years so it's hard to say
I hope we get a call or at least hear something soon. I’m trying not to cry since Mississippi was my number one for OOS schools
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS alternate! Is there any information on how much the waitlist normally moves? I’m about 1/4 down the list 🥲
 
OOS Acceptance!!! Last year I was waitlisted in the third quartile and didn’t get called off the list. MSU is my second choice, topped only by my IS. I loveeeed the university and the staff. My only concern with this school is having only two years of didactics. I worry that I might not do as well having to learn three year’s worth of classes in just two years. Is this a misconception of the curriculum? Is some of the material taught during clinics? If not, how do they do it?
 
OOS Acceptance!!! Last year I was waitlisted in the third quartile and didn’t get called off the list. MSU is my second choice, topped only by my IS. I loveeeed the university and the staff. My only concern with this school is having only two years of didactics. I worry that I might not do as well having to learn three year’s worth of classes in just two years. Is this a misconception of the curriculum? Is some of the material taught during clinics? If not, how do they do it?
I would love to hear input on this as well!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS Acceptance!!! Last year I was waitlisted in the third quartile and didn’t get called off the list. MSU is my second choice, topped only by my IS. I loveeeed the university and the staff. My only concern with this school is having only two years of didactics. I worry that I might not do as well having to learn three year’s worth of classes in just two years. Is this a misconception of the curriculum? Is some of the material taught during clinics? If not, how do they do it?
They’re able to do it because their fall semester is essentially two semesters in one. That’s why they start in June instead of august
 
OOS Acceptance!!! Last year I was waitlisted in the third quartile and didn’t get called off the list. MSU is my second choice, topped only by my IS. I loveeeed the university and the staff. My only concern with this school is having only two years of didactics. I worry that I might not do as well having to learn three year’s worth of classes in just two years. Is this a misconception of the curriculum? Is some of the material taught during clinics? If not, how do they do it?

Hi! First off, congratulations!!! I’m a current first year. It was previously mentioned, but our first year starts in June and the second year starts in July. It is like drinking out of a fire hose, but I have found that I am doing better than I did in undergrad. Personally, i think that MSU does a good job of easing you into vet school. Each semester is progressively harder. Typical of most schools, second year is the hardest year, however, our second year is similar to other schools’ third year. In my opinion, the curriculum is challenging but not undoable. All of the professors really want you to succeed.
 
Hi! First off, congratulations!!! I’m a current first year. It was previously mentioned, but our first year starts in June and the second year starts in July. It is like drinking out of a fire hose, but I have found that I am doing better than I did in undergrad. Personally, i think that MSU does a good job of easing you into vet school. Each semester is progressively harder. Typical of most schools, second year is the hardest year, however, our second year is similar to other schools’ third year. In my opinion, the curriculum is challenging but not undoable. All of the professors really want you to succeed.
Thank you!! Do you feel that you’re retaining most of the information that you have to learn in such a short time?
 
Hi! First off, congratulations!!! I’m a current first year. It was previously mentioned, but our first year starts in June and the second year starts in July. It is like drinking out of a fire hose, but I have found that I am doing better than I did in undergrad. Personally, i think that MSU does a good job of easing you into vet school. Each semester is progressively harder. Typical of most schools, second year is the hardest year, however, our second year is similar to other schools’ third year. In my opinion, the curriculum is challenging but not undoable. All of the professors really want you to succeed.
How have you found learning the classroom material the way it’s set up? For example, I know Auburns curriculum includes niche courses like bacteriology, epidemiology and zoonoses, because they have the space and time to cover that coursework. Do you feel like you lose any detailed learning with it being designed as 2 years of classes? Or do you feel like these kinds of subjects are still covered well even if they aren’t their own classes?
 
How have you found learning the classroom material the way it’s set up? For example, I know Auburns curriculum includes niche courses like bacteriology, epidemiology and zoonoses, because they have the space and time to cover that coursework. Do you feel like you lose any detailed learning with it being designed as 2 years of classes? Or do you feel like these kinds of subjects are still covered well even if they aren’t their own classes?

Also a current first year ! We also have those specific classes ! First semester we had Anatomy I, physiology, Histology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Infectious Agents I (the bacteria half of the course), and 2 shorter professional development courses. ((I don’t think I’m forgetting any)) This semester we had a third professional development and we’re also in Anatomy II, Infectious Agents II (the virology half), Epidemiology, Pharmacology, Pathology, and Parasitology. The curriculum is condensed but we still cover everything we need and I feel like it’s all presented in a very fast-paced-friendly way. It’s more “here’s what you need to know to be successful clinics and in practice” and less “here’s absolutely everything about vet med”.

First year is more the basic building blocks and the why things work the way they do and second year is when you start doing surgery and getting heavier into the true medicine aspect of it so everything builds nicely.
 
Thank you!! Do you feel that you’re retaining most of the information that you have to learn in such a short time?

Yes. The classes build nicely with the way that the curriculum is set up. The courses run pretty cohesively with each other. For example, we were learning neuro anatomy in Anatomy class while taking Neuroscience. Personally, I feel that this helps with retention.
 
Yes. The classes build nicely with the way that the curriculum is set up. The courses run pretty cohesively with each other. For example, we were learning neuro anatomy in Anatomy class while taking Neuroscience. Personally, I feel that this helps with retention.
Great, thank you!!
 
The anxiety of the waitlist is brutal. I was wondering for those who are waitlisted are still preparing in the case of being accepted or not. I want to start planing, but worried I may not get off and crush my spirits a little more than I should have.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad