Mississippi State CVM

Started by rbccgdt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Accepted. OOS from Arizona, last name T. Fist call at 11 (which I missed because I was building an igloo), called back at 12 for confirmation (EST).
Hey !! congrats!! when did you interview? I interviewed the 10th and most people getting acceptances yesterday and today have interviewed the 4th so im wondering if they are calling by order of interview dates.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey !! congrats!! when did you interview? I interviewed the 10th and most people getting acceptances yesterday and today have interviewed the 4th so im wondering if they are calling by order of interview dates.
I was wondering the same thing, I interviwed the 11th
 
Hey !! congrats!! when did you interview?
I actually interviewed the 10th, sooo I'm not thinking they went by interview dates but rather last names...but I don't know.

If any of you out-of-staters get wait listed, I was told that it's not a bad place to be, as the OOS wait list moves quite a bit. Chances are quite good that I will give up my spot in favor of my IS school, so don't lose hope if you're wait listed 🙂.
 
Hey !! congrats!! when did you interview? I interviewed the 10th and most people getting acceptances yesterday and today have interviewed the 4th so im wondering if they are calling by order of interview dates.
I interviewed the 2nd.
 
Accepted OOS! And attending! My interview was 2/11 and I just got the call ( 2/17 4:30 EST). soooo excited!!!!!
 
So I've been a creep on this site for the past six-ish months. Aaaand now I have a reason to post!!

Accepted OOS!

Just got the call from Missy at around 3:30 eastern! My last name starts with H and I interviewed on the 4th. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools though before I make my decision.
 
Congrats to those who have been accepted so far!!!!! We look forward to meeting you all this summer!!

Just wanted to provide some better and more accurate feedback regarding our acceptance process.

The admissions committee approved a list of folks they've accepted for the class of 2019. Missy started making calls yesterday and will make calls through Thursday this week. Everyone who has been waitlisted or denied for this cycle will get notified via email either Friday this week or Monday next week.

The calls Missy makes for acceptance in the incoming class are NOT done alphabetically or by the date of your interview. Instead it goes by an internal ranking or order that was developed by the admission committee. My last name started with a letter close to the beginning of the alphabet and I wasn't called until the 4th or 5th day of calls.

Good luck to you all. I know this is an exciting and nervous time!
 
Congrats to those who have been accepted so far!!!!! We look forward to meeting you all this summer!!

Just wanted to provide some better and more accurate feedback regarding our acceptance process.

The admissions committee approved a list of folks they've accepted for the class of 2019. Missy started making calls yesterday and will make calls through Thursday this week. Everyone who has been waitlisted or denied for this cycle will get notified via email either Friday this week or Monday next week.

The calls Missy makes for acceptance in the incoming class are NOT done alphabetically or by the date of your interview. Instead it goes by an internal ranking or order that was developed by the admission committee. My last name started with a letter close to the beginning of the alphabet and I wasn't called until the 4th or 5th day of calls.

Good luck to you all. I know this is an exciting and nervous time!
Thank you for giving us renewed hope and added clarification! My 22nd birthday is this thursday sooo im begging the lords to make it a good one and hear back good news! Im literally hanging on nerves at this point. Do you know if all OOS calls have gone out or if they will continue to go out through thursday as well?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received acceptance call from missy today around 6pm. I interviewed Feb. 11tth and my last name starts with T. congrats guys. I can't wait to see you guys at orientation. CLASS OF 2019!!!
 
Thank you for giving us renewed hope and added clarification! My 22nd birthday is this thursday sooo im begging the lords to make it a good one and hear back good news! Im literally hanging on nerves at this point. Do you know if all OOS calls have gone out or if they will continue to go out through thursday as well?

They will continue making OOS phone calls through Thursday this week.
 
Congrats to those who have been accepted so far!!!!! We look forward to meeting you all this summer!!

Just wanted to provide some better and more accurate feedback regarding our acceptance process.

The admissions committee approved a list of folks they've accepted for the class of 2019. Missy started making calls yesterday and will make calls through Thursday this week. Everyone who has been waitlisted or denied for this cycle will get notified via email either Friday this week or Monday next week.

The calls Missy makes for acceptance in the incoming class are NOT done alphabetically or by the date of your interview. Instead it goes by an internal ranking or order that was developed by the admission committee. My last name started with a letter close to the beginning of the alphabet and I wasn't called until the 4th or 5th day of calls.

Good luck to you all. I know this is an exciting and nervous time!
Thank you!! You have restored my hope for getting in now 🙂 Much appreciated
 
Just got an email saying I'm considered at at-large alternate position. I'm not to sure what that means. I hope it's a good sign. I'm a little disappointed I did not get accepted but I remember Missy saying alternate is a good position to be in for MSU right?
 
Just got an email saying I'm considered at at-large alternate position. I'm not to sure what that means. I hope it's a good sign. I'm a little disappointed I did not get accepted but I remember Missy saying alternate is a good position to be in for MSU right?
This is a good thing! Many people decline their acceptance to MSU because they get into other schools! I personally know several people that will be declining their acceptance! Email Mrs. Hadaway and she will be able to give you a better estimate on where you stand on the waiting list 🙂 Best of luck!!
 
Congrats to those who have been accepted so far!!!!! We look forward to meeting you all this summer!!

Just wanted to provide some better and more accurate feedback regarding our acceptance process.

The admissions committee approved a list of folks they've accepted for the class of 2019. Missy started making calls yesterday and will make calls through Thursday this week. Everyone who has been waitlisted or denied for this cycle will get notified via email either Friday this week or Monday next week.

The calls Missy makes for acceptance in the incoming class are NOT done alphabetically or by the date of your interview. Instead it goes by an internal ranking or order that was developed by the admission committee. My last name started with a letter close to the beginning of the alphabet and I wasn't called until the 4th or 5th day of calls.

Good luck to you all. I know this is an exciting and nervous time!
Where are good places to live? I'm going to head down for my spring break to look.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you apply separately to the dual program?
Yeah, it started with the supplement... I ticked a box or something. Then after I received my DVM interview notification I got an email with some further supplemental questions just for the PhD program. So I wrote my little essay expressing my interest in the program and professional goals for a PhD. A week later or so I was selected to interview for the PhD portion (which was to be conducted on the same day as my DVM interview). Earlier this week I received my DVM acceptance, and then today was the PhD phone call. I had to be accepted by the DVM program before the PhD program could offer me a spot too. 🤣
 
Anyone have an idea what "at-large" alternate position indicates? Just wondering if it means anything different than just alternate or if everyone's says that? Already emailed missy and I know she's super busy so I don't expect a response for a while. Was hoping you guys could help me out.
 
Anyone have an idea what "at-large" alternate position indicates? Just wondering if it means anything different than just alternate or if everyone's says that? Already emailed missy and I know she's super busy so I don't expect a response for a while. Was hoping you guys could help me out.
I'm pretty sure it means youre in the OOS pool of alternates
 
there are two types of OOS alternative positions ones for contract and one for the rest of OOS. The at large position is for the OOS people that did not apply for the contract seats 🙂
 
Yeah, it started with the supplement... I ticked a box or something. Then after I received my DVM interview notification I got an email with some further supplemental questions just for the PhD program. So I wrote my little essay expressing my interest in the program and professional goals for a PhD. A week later or so I was selected to interview for the PhD portion (which was to be conducted on the same day as my DVM interview). Earlier this week I received my DVM acceptance, and then today was the PhD phone call. I had to be accepted by the DVM program before the PhD program could offer me a spot too. 🤣


cool
 
Last edited:
Anyone have an idea what "at-large" alternate position indicates? Just wondering if it means anything different than just alternate or if everyone's says that? Already emailed missy and I know she's super busy so I don't expect a response for a while. Was hoping you guys could help me out.

Runnergirl856, you seem very dedicated to MSU. I hope you make it off the list and into class of 2019. I'm sure the list will open up as people start choosing schools. I withdrew my application from Texas and Alabama, so these things do happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I hope to see you in class this summer. Don't lose hope.
 
I was interested in the PhD/DVM program as well, but withdrew my application and declined interview for dual degree program after finding out the research is interrupted. If you've done research before you will know this can be a detriment to it, especially in a scientific arena that publishes new findings quarterly. I've decided to get PhD afterwards. Good luck with the program. Congrats, it is a great dual program. Now you have to find an advisor/mentor. Get ready for delayed gratification. It will be worth it for you in the end. There is this book titled " A Beginners Guide to Winning the Nobel Prize." If you get a chance it would be a good read for you in preparation for PhD journey. I've read it and it has helped me tremendously. Good luck.

Just to clarify - the actual data gathering phase is continous and you're allowed to put off starting the DVM portion until you reach a suitable stopping point in your project. A current student is doing that and will join the next class of DVMs. The final part of the program (after the DVM) is reserved for fixing any final issues and dissertation preparation/defense.

Most of this was explained in the interview itself. The structure actually really benefits the writing process and while doing the DVM portion, you're still quite involved with the lab you started with. I think that's maybe difficult to get across in the website blurb, but any concerns I had about the structure (given my past research experiences) were quelled once I actually sat down with my panel (six research faculty from different specialties) and talked about why the program is done that way, among other things.

Alternatively, if that format seems unreasonable, you can just pursue the PhD at the close of the DVM (which another current student is doing). She was still selected at this stage of the process, but just opted to do the PhD after, which is something I'm considering as well, but we'll see. I have many more questions to ask and decisions to make. Praise the April deadline lol!

*edit* TwistedRose informed me today (and also posted below) that the order in which you do the two types depends a lot on the mentor and their current projects. It's awesome the school allows this kind of flexibility though!
 
Last edited:
Runnergirl856, you seem very dedicated to MSU. I hope you make it off the list and into class of 2019. I'm sure the list will open up as people start choosing schools. I withdrew my application from Texas and Alabama, so these things do happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I hope to see you in class this summer. Don't lose hope.

MSU was just so perfect for me and I had a really enjoyable experience at the Interview. Thank you so much for the support, Im staying positive. Im pretty sure you were at the pizza party and interviewed on the same day as me I recognize your picture (not to be a creeper) LOL Congrats on the acceptance!
 
Has anyone spoken to the tech guys about the computers we have to have? Like will they be provided when we get there or will we just find out what we have to have and be expected to show up with it?
 
I thought it would come with our contracts but I received my contract the other day and it did not include anything besides my acceptance letter.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad