Mizzou c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well the whole day is basically scheduled around your interview and what you want to do.

So let's say you interview at 8:30 am. You can then catch a tour of the vet school after your tour if you want around 9am, maybe chat up some ambassadors or drive around town/campus, and then eat lunch which is normally at 12/1ish. Then you can stay for the student panel (highly recommend!), which goes until 2-2:30ish. Or if you want to tour after lunch/panel you can. Or if you have an afternoon interview, you can tour whenever, eat lunch and go to the interview. It's pretty flexible and us ambassadors will be there to help you along the way!

Thanks for the information. As I am out of state, any information on the schedules would be helpful. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is grateful to know more about what the day looks like.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users
Well the whole day is basically scheduled around your interview and what you want to do.

So let's say you interview at 8:30 am. You can then catch a tour of the vet school after your tour if you want around 9am, maybe chat up some ambassadors or drive around town/campus, and then eat lunch which is normally at 12/1ish. Then you can stay for the student panel (highly recommend!), which goes until 2-2:30ish. Or if you want to tour after lunch/panel you can. Or if you have an afternoon interview, you can tour whenever, eat lunch and go to the interview. It's pretty flexible and us ambassadors will be there to help you along the way!

Thank you for all the info! That's all super helpful! Another question for you and for everyone else, do people usually bring significant others or family to interviews or do most people come alone? I interviewed at another school and brought a significant other and was one of the only ones to do so, making it a tad awkward. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for all the info! That's all super helpful! Another question for you and for everyone else, do people usually bring significant others or family to interviews or do most people come alone? I interviewed at another school and brought a significant other and was one of the only ones to do so, making it a tad awkward. Thanks!
Definitely split. I see a bunch with parents/SOs and a bunch by themselves. So completely your call!

I would say 60-75% or so of applicants bring SOs or family to their interviews, so if you want to bring someone you definitely can!

I''m really close to my family, so I brought my parents and two of my sisters (I have 4 siblings but not all of them could make it). Even though they crowded up the front lobby, I was really grateful to have their support!

Is there a specific time we should arrive? I didn't see a time on any of the emails. For those who have interviewed there before what time did you get there before your interview? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there a specific time we should arrive? I didn't see a time on any of the emails. For those who have interviewed there before what time did you get there before your interview? Thanks!

If you are going to your interview first, I would personally recommend arriving 30-45 min early just to account for getting lost/traffic. If you want to tour before, then arrive 2-2.5 hrs before since a tour can take 1-1.5 hrs depending on the ambassador and you might have to wait a few moments for a tour to begin. If you are late afternoon like I was, you can arrive in time for lunch, then tour, then interview. It just depends on what you would like to do!

Hey guys! I'm a first year and if any of you have questions about the interviews or about the school please feel free to ask me! Also, I have a YouTube channel and I just posted a video about what the first semester of vet school is like! If any of you are interested I can post the link on here. Good luck on your interviews, you got this!

Just accepted at my in-state, so I called to free up an interview spot for someone else!

If you are going to your interview first, I would personally recommend arriving 30-45 min early just to account for getting lost/traffic. If you want to tour before, then arrive 2-2.5 hrs before since a tour can take 1-1.5 hrs depending on the ambassador and you might have to wait a few moments for a tour to begin. If you are late afternoon like I was, you can arrive in time for lunch, then tour, then interview. It just depends on what you would like to do!

Thank you SO much!! You are all super helpful. One last question, besides our transcript, would you guys recommend bringing a notepad or something to write on?

Thank you SO much!! You are all super helpful. One last question, besides our transcript, would you guys recommend bringing a notepad or something to write on?
They generally have a packet/folder of info to give you when you arrive that I'm sure you could use if you want to make notes during lunch/student panel. Otherwise you can bring a notepad if you would like, though in the past the folders had quite a bit of information about the program on it if you are curious about that.

Good luck to all of those who are interviewing today! Mine isn't until the 15th. Let us know how it goes :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well two hours into the seven hour drive my mom calls to ask if I forgot my clothes...yep! This shall be interesting...

Is anyone else staying at the Hampton Inn in Columbia who has a car? If you're open to two Pennsylvanians hitching a ride to campus let me know!

Anyone else staying at the Broadway Hotel this weekend?

I'll be helping with interviews tomorrow morning/lunch. Saw a bunch of you guys today while we were doing our hard tissue surgeries. We were trying our best to gross out parents with the fracture we were repairing. It was a ball.

What did other female interviewees do about shoes? I don't want to wear heels on the tour if it's icy - any suggestions? Bring a spare pair?

What did other female interviewees do about shoes? I don't want to wear heels on the tour if it's icy - any suggestions? Bring a spare pair?

I wore flats today. :D You could probably change if you wanted to wear heels for your interview and not your tour though, the parking lot is close!

Had my interview at Mizzou on the 6th. The ambassadors are awesome! The interview was pretty laid back. Enjoy your time there and try (I know it's easier said than done) not to stress and miss all of the excitement of being in a cool school.

Did they happen to say when decisions will be released?

Probably a few weeks. Falls grades/GRE scores have to be in by the 1st I think, so it depends on how quickly those get in to them.

Kathy said that it'll depend on people bringing in grades/GRE scores on time, but the latest would be the first!

It seems like about a week after the last interview date is possible.

I had a great time at Mizzou this weekend! The interview was low-stress and the students and other applicants I met were super nice.

I have a question for students- since Mizzou doesn't track and everyone has to do clinics for both small and large animals, what's the overall breakdown? (I.e., I want to do SA. About how much time would I need to spend in LA clinics?)

I had a great time at Mizzou this weekend! The interview was low-stress and the students and other applicants I met were super nice.

I have a question for students- since Mizzou doesn't track and everyone has to do clinics for both small and large animals, what's the overall breakdown? (I.e., I want to do SA. About how much time would I need to spend in LA clinics?)

The overall breakdown (in general):

- 6 weeks Equine (2 wks surgery, 2 wks ambo/field service, 2 wks med)
- 6 weeks Large Animal (2 wks med/surg, 2 wks ambo/field service, 2 wks regulatory)
-2 wks Therio (depends on the time of year, you might have lots of cows and horses or just dogs)

Rest of the core rotations are most small animal based (except for maybe a smidge of path):
- 2wks oncology, 2 wks ophtho, 2 wks ECC, 2 wks internal medicine
-6 wks surgery (2 wk soft tissue, 2 wk ortho, 2 wk neuro)
- 6 weeks medical services (3 wk radiology, 3 wk anesthesia)
- 6 weeks Path (2 wks clin path, 4 wk necropsy)
-6 weeks community practice (3 wks community, 3 wks shelter)

So at the end of the day, yes, you will have 12 weeks that is with equine and large animal. However, we get an additional 10 weeks of electives plus up to 16 weeks of preceptorships/externships, which to me all that extra time to sharpen my small animal skills will make the 12 wks in large animal way worth it.

- 6 weeks Large Animal (2 wks med/surg, 2 wks ambo/field service, 2 wks regulatory)
-2 wks Therio (depends on the time of year, you might have lots of cows and horses or just dogs)

Rest of the core rotations are most small animal based (except for maybe a smidge of path):
- 6 weeks medical services (3 wk radiology, 2 wk anesthesia)

So at the end of the day, yes, you will have 12 weeks that is with equine and large animal. However, we get an additional 10 weeks of electives plus up to 16 weeks of preceptorships/externships, which to me all that extra time to sharpen my small animal skills will make the 12 wks in large animal way worth it.

This is really helpful, thanks!

- 6 weeks medical services (3 wk radiology, 3 wk anesthesia)

Does the 16 weeks of preceptorships/externships you mentioned account for the two off blocks or do you get an additional 16 for your off blocks?

I really loved Mizzou! The faculty were amazing and the interview was super conversational. I really hope I get in :).

Reactions: 2 users
Does the 16 weeks of preceptorships/externships you mentioned account for the two off blocks or do you get an additional 16 for your off blocks?
Yeah the 16 weeks are during your two off blocks!

Please get the word out that they are predicting a winter storm sometime Thurs-Friday-Sat this week that may impact your travel to Missouri. We are still holding interviews Sat and Sunday as planned. If you are stranded somewhere and are going to be late or have issues getting to Columbia call Kathy Seay 573-884-3341 and she will help you with options.
Safe travels.

Reactions: 3 users
I hear a lot of people talking about how their interview was fun and low stress.. Anybody have the opposite experience? I thought my interviewers were very serious and kind of intimidating. It was not terrible or anything, but I definitely did not consider it to be low stress.

I hear a lot of people talking about how their interview was fun and low stress.. Anybody have the opposite experience? I thought my interviewers were very serious and kind of intimidating. It was not terrible or anything, but I definitely did not consider it to be low stress.

Maybe it depended on your panel? A couple of students who interviewed the same day I did (Jan 8th) said that they were asked some tough questions. I definitely didn't feel that way and my interviewers were super relaxed. I think they were in a different room than I was so maybe it was just because of that?

Maybe it depended on your panel? A couple of students who interviewed the same day I did (Jan 8th) said that they were asked some tough questions. I definitely didn't feel that way and my interviewers were super relaxed. I think they were in a different room than I was so maybe it was just because of that?
Yeah I definitely think that it depended on the panel. I mean... one of them did not even say hello and I felt like they were staring me down the whole time haha. The questions were not too difficult, it was just their behavior that kinda made me worry.

Yeah I definitely think that it depended on the panel. I mean... one of them did not even say hello and I felt like they were staring me down the whole time haha. The questions were not too difficult, it was just their behavior that kinda made me worry.

Oh wow! I think one of mine was a little more stoic than the others but she was still nice. Maybe they were just trying to put a little pressure to see how you do?

Oh wow! I think one of mine was a little more stoic than the others but she was still nice. Maybe they were just trying to put a little pressure to see how you do?
That is what I am thinking. It can't be anything I did wrong because they were like that from the very beginning of the interview lol! Oh well. A friend of mine who interviewed here last year said her interviewers were pretty serious, too.

That is what I am thinking. It can't be anything I did wrong because they were like that from the very beginning of the interview lol! Oh well. A friend of mine who interviewed here last year said her interviewers were pretty serious, too.

Exactly! I'm sure you did fine :)

At least you guys were able to have yours lol. I've been told Missouri will be in a travel advisory this weekend. I'm still going to try and make it. Anyone else afraid they won't be able to make it this weekend?

At least you guys were able to have yours lol. I've been told Missouri will be in a travel advisory this weekend. I'm still going to try and make it. Anyone else afraid they won't be able to make it this weekend?

Just make sure you call Kathy like the post from @bigwigMU said and keep her updated. She is very sweet and I'm sure will help you out with your options!

I actually just called her! I have a Sunday interview and she said that heading out Saturday afternoon would be best so that's what we will do. Did you feel as if the interview feedback prepared you well for your interview? @Momokeen

I actually just called her! I have a Sunday interview and she said that heading out Saturday afternoon would be best so that's what we will do. Did you feel as if the interview feedback prepared you well for your interview? @Momokeen

Definitely! Many of those questions were asked (if I was not asked one, someone else was). If you've done research be prepared to talk about it. That was my first question! Also, be prepared to answer the "why should we choose you" question :).

I'm pretty sure every question I was asked was on the interview feedback page. Of course some were tailored to my experience/application, but I saw everything in one form or another ahead of time. I think I was asked a total of 8-10 questions in 15 minutes, so it went by quickly!

Reactions: 2 users
For those travelling to CoMo this weekend for interviews- this ice storm is definitely happening, so PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Don't risk your safety, and don't stress if you can't make it. Just call Kathy and stay warm- they are already prepping for a make-up day (most likely on Tuesday), so don't worry about missing your interview if you can't travel :)

Reactions: 5 users
I'm really impressed that they are keeping the exotics symposium running during this.

Same. As someone who is from and whose family all lives in Missouri, there's been an usually high amount of hype regarding this storm and it doesn't sound like the confidence in the forecast has died down any. Well, if what I've been told by family and friends watching the local news is anything to go by, anyway.

I considered going to the symposium on a late registration with a friend... not taking the risk.

Everyone interviewing or attending the exotics symposium, be safe! Seriously! Ice storms are absolutely no joke---I'd take a foot of snow over an inch or two of ice or freezing rain any day of the year.

I backed out of the symposium a few months ago but a good chunk of my class is headed that way. Hopefully everyone gets there just fine!

We arrived safely and checked out the veterinary school. :) Can't wait to interview tomorrow!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Interview went well I think. Definitely stumbled a little and maybe could've answered a question a little bit better, but I think they liked that I wanted to go into pathology/research! Kathy said she's pretty caught up with things and decisions should hopefully be going out in 7-10 days!!!!!!!

Interview went well I think. Definitely stumbled a little and maybe could've answered a question a little bit better, but I think they liked that I wanted to go into pathology/research! Kathy said she's pretty caught up with things and decisions should hopefully be going out in 7-10 days!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update! I can't wait for decisions!!! Congrats on your interview!

Me neither!!! And thanks and congrats to you too @Tamsin21. Sounds like they had 250 offers and 200 interview. One of the ambassadors told me they usually accept 120. So very good odds I would say. I keep rethinking my interview but I'm sure I did ok. Not sure how much it's worth overall? Based on what I'm interested in, they gave me some business cards of people to contact so I took that as a good sign. I loved the school. Everyone was so nice and welcoming. Really hoping for an acceptance! Hoping for the best for everyone on SDN too!

Last edited: