Mizzou c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't give up hope guys. It's still early in the process! I hope everyone gets in. Does anyone know how many people are interviewed at Missouri?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Kinda sucks that first response I got from a school was a rejection. Other four schools haven't sent anything out yet, but still not a good feeling. Oh well.

Ah that was me too! Haha, I got a swift rejection from Davis the beginning of November and I absolutely loved the school. My confidence was shot and I was starting to panic and worry about my application. You have 4 more schools! It ain't over until they all reject you and it only takes one acceptance to make you a doctor. My friend was rejected four times in a row last application cycle. The last school to get back to her accepted her, hahaha. And she didn't hear until MID MARCH. So you're still in the game ^_^ !

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah that was me too! Haha, I got a swift rejection from Davis the beginning of November and I absolutely loved the school. My confidence was shot and I was starting to panic and worry about my application. You have 4 more schools! It ain't over until they all reject you and it only takes one acceptance to make you a doctor. My friend was rejected four times in a row last application cycle. The last school to get back to her accepted her, hahaha. And she didn't hear until MID MARCH. So you're still in the game ^_^ !
Thanks girl, I needed THAT. You are completely right!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't give up hope guys. It's still early in the process! I hope everyone gets in. Does anyone know how many people are interviewed at Missouri?

I read somewhere that it's about 200-250! Maybe more this year because they had a lot more applicants?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Yeah got my rejection email last night as well. That's my first response from vet schools so kinda discouraged. Have 5 more to hear back from though so I guess we will see. Congrats to all who got interviews!

Yeah got my rejection email last night as well. That's my first response from vet schools so kinda discouraged. Have 5 more to hear back from though so I guess we will see. Congrats to all who got interviews!
I'm in the same boat as you... first rejection, five more to go. It doesn't help that the other five schools all rank higher than Mizzou. Sigh. I guess it still ain't over til it's over Hang in there friends!

No. Too many applicants this year they said, though Kathy was very nice and gave some generic feedback.

Ah, so you already sought out some feedback? Have they given file reviews in the past when there were fewer applicants, that you know of?

Ah, so you already sought out some feedback? Have they given file reviews in the past when there were fewer applicants, that you know of?

I just asked her if they did file reviews. She said no (because they don't keep details about those who they don't interview...too many applicants) but gave me some details about what specifically they look for. Often it's just one little thing basically. Kathy is super nice!

Got my rejection Saturday too! First school to hear any sort of decision back from so I'm super bummed

Has anyone else not heard back in regards to a denial or interview? When will they send out the next batch?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat as you... first rejection, five more to go. It doesn't help that the other five schools all rank higher than Mizzou. Sigh. I guess it still ain't over til it's over Hang in there friends!

I was rejected for Mizzou and got an interview from another school I applied to which was twice as high in rank, and I have a gpa lower than 3.5. Don't get discouraged yet! :happy:

I was rejected for Mizzou and got an interview from another school I applied to which was twice as high in rank, and I have a gpa lower than 3.5. Don't get discouraged yet! :happy:

Same thing happened to me! It seems like it has happened to a lot of people this year. There were several people on another thread I was reading who were rejected by Mizzou but received an interview at another school. Every school has different criteria, so if you didn't get an interview at Mizzou, is IS possible to get an interview elsewhere! :D

Has anyone else not heard back in regards to a denial or interview? When will they send out the next batch?

You might be one of the people in limbo. I believe that means that you are on a wait list to interview and may get an invite if a spot opens up. However, I heard being in limbo usually results in a rejection.

Same thing happened to me! It seems like it has happened to a lot of people this year. There were several people on another thread I was reading who were rejected by Mizzou but received an interview at another school. Every school has different criteria, so if you didn't get an interview at Mizzou, is IS possible to get an interview elsewhere! :D

Which school did you get an offer from?

It wasn't me (I think mmmdreamerz?) but someone got rejected from Mizzou but an interview from Ohio state two days later!

Wow, that's definitely a jump in rank. Wonder how Mizzou picks their applicants for an interview. And as far as "rank" goes... does it really matter all that much if you go to a vet school like Cornell versus going to Mizzou?

Wow, that's definitely a jump in rank. Wonder how Mizzou picks their applicants for an interview. And as far as "rank" goes... does it really matter all that much if you go to a vet school like Cornell versus going to Mizzou?

No, not really. A DVM is a DVM.

So here is how I respond to ranks. First, what do the ranks mean? They only mean what is used to determine the ranks. The most commonly cited ranking system is one in which schools are required to rank the other schools, which creates a system of, "If you vote for me, I'll vote for you." Some people don't buy into this at all, ie. Kansas State, and thus consistently are always in the bottom few for that reason. Some other ones are based off research funding, and others (I am less familiar with the lesser known ones), but I have seen little to none that rank based off NAVLE scores, which is what really matters to the everyday student (will I pass and become a veterinarian based off of the teachings of this school?) Mizzou consistently has between 99 and 100% pass rate on the NAVLE, which is pretty phenomenal in my eyes.

The other thing I tell people that think ranks are everything is what are you looking to get from the school? If you are looking to do a PhD and ensure that you will have grant funding through your PI, then yes you should probably glance at rankings based on research funds (and in reality, it is usually PI specific). Otherwise, does it really matter to your attendance at the school? What matters is the type of education you will get (which should be on par across all AVMA accredited schools). Is the teaching style what I am looking for (ie. PBL vs. not PBL)? Do I feel like I have enough clinical opportunities to be successful as a practitioner (Mizzou trades off and has less clinical opportunities comparatively early on, but has 2 years of clinics compared to the traditional one)? Is going to this vet school going to break my wallet?

I personally feel that the reason Mizzou is maximizing their applications (and thus may be a bit "picker" this year) is that they understand debt is an issue, and it is thus the third cheapest vet school for most people to go to depending on your IS (usually ordered your IS school, NC-state, and then Mizzou), and they offer the 2+2 program for you to really get your feet wet, both inside and outside the University with 2 years of clinics. It is also a way of customizing your experience, with over 20 weeks of free blocks, which works really well for some people, while other people need more structure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
It wasn't me (I think mmmdreamerz?) but someone got rejected from Mizzou but an interview from Ohio state two days later!

Yep. It was me.

In hindsight, I have good "numbers" but Mizzou seems to be a very experience-heavy school with regard to veterinary experience and I think having a small amount of LA hurt me. I have lots of small animal, lots of research, and good amount of equine, but less than 100 hours for large animal (most of my large experience is research based). That's not to say they wouldn't pick someone else in the same situation (we are all so different!), but when you have as many applicants as these schools get, you have to make cuts.

Ranking really doesn't matter. STL explains it:)

Last edited:
Yep. It was me.

In hindsight, I have decent "numbers" (3.7 range cumulative, science, and last 45) but Mizzou seems to be a very experience-heavy school with regard to veterinary experience and I think that hurt me. I have lots of small animal, lots of research, and good amount of equine, but less than 100 hours for large animal (most of my large experience is research based). That's not to say they wouldn't pick someone else in the same situation (we are all so different!), but when you have as many applicants as these schools get, you have to make cuts.

Ranking really doesn't matter. STL explains it:)

Well, I have a lot of diverse experience and still didn't make the cut. Maybe they were looking for all across the board students, which I'm sure a lot of people with high gpa AND a lot of experience applied.

Rank means very little overall and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with competition for spots. Ohio has waaaaay more OOS spots than Mizzou and interviews a lot more people, which makes it more likely to get an interview with them. And even in fields where rank matters, 5 vs 3 doesn't mean much.

My grades and hours are only okay, but I have a lot of unique non-vet experiences that I think set me apart. It's not always just stats.

For the people in limbo, I think yesterday was the last day to schedule an interview so you might hear soon unless they wait to see if anyone cancels at the last minute. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN mobile

Well, I have a lot of diverse experience and still didn't make the cut. Maybe they were looking for all across the board students, which I'm sure a lot of people with high gpa AND a lot of experience applied.

Like I said, everyone is so different and all the schools look for different things. Just because one says no, doesn't mean another won't say yes.

So glad I read further down before typing up my - rank means nothing post. Thanks @SummerTheLynx for summing up my thoughts exactly.

:rolleyes:

GUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSSSS. My UPenn interview is on the 6th.... the day before my Mizzou interview. UPenn isn't going to budge on rescheduling and it's already too late to change my interview date for Mizzou. Would anyone wanna trade interview dates for a later time (here's me hoping that this is actually an option)? Otherwise would it be stupid to fly overnight and try to make it to my Mizzou interview?

So I was looking at groupons for hotels in St. Louis. Couldn't find any, but I did find discounted tickets for a zombie escape game. In case your vet school interview wasn't stressful enough, you can panic as you try to escape from a zombie while locked in a room somewhere in St. Louis.

Update: I managed to figure my interview schedules out.

Reactions: 2 users
So I was looking at groupons for hotels in St. Louis. Couldn't find any, but I did find discounted tickets for a zombie escape game. In case your vet school interview wasn't stressful enough, you can panic as you try to escape from a zombie while locked in a room somewhere in St. Louis.

Update: I managed to figure my interview schedules out.
For anyone still looking, so far I've found AirBnB to be cheaper than any motel everywhere I've checked.

So, I emailed Kathy asking about how many interviews were sent out. This was her response.

"We received almost 900 non-resident applications, more applications than any other year. We invited 249 students to interview and 230 accepted our offer.
There are schools that are now sending acceptances out. If we follow the same pattern as in past years, we expect to loose maybe fifteen or twenty of the 230 that are scheduled for interviews with them hearing from their first choice schools."

So I'd say if you got an interview, you have a decent shot of getting accepted or on the waitlist! Good luck to everyone with interviews!!!

So, I emailed Kathy asking about how many interviews were sent out. This was her response.

"We received almost 900 non-resident applications, more applications than any other year. We invited 249 students to interview and 230 accepted our offer.
There are schools that are now sending acceptances out. If we follow the same pattern as in past years, we expect to loose maybe fifteen or twenty of the 230 that are scheduled for interviews with them hearing from their first choice schools."

So I'd say if you got an interview, you have a decent shot of getting accepted or on the waitlist! Good luck to everyone with interviews!!!

Do you know how many OOS seats there are? Their admissions guide says the total class size is 120, but I couldn't find the IS/OOS breakdown.

EDIT: Just saw this "The number of nonresident positions is variable based on annual applicant pools." Anyone know what a typical class looks like in terms of #OOS vs. #IS?

Do you know how many OOS seats there are? Their admissions guide says the total class size is 120, but I couldn't find the IS/OOS breakdown
Someone who actually attends Mizzou can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's split straight down the middle with right around 60 for both IS and OOS.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's 60/60 but I've been told that they accept 100 OOS right off the bat!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's 60/60 but I've been told that they accept 100 OOS right off the bat!

It's very typically 60/60. And the 100 in the past has been a fairly reliable number for how many OOS that they accept off the bat in the past, although don't be surprised if that number is possibly a little less.

It's very typically 60/60. And the 100 in the past has been a fairly reliable number for how many OOS that they accept off the bat in the past, although don't be surprised if that number is possibly a little less.

This! 60/60, and in the past they have over-accepted 100-120 OOS right away.

Would some people who got interviews mind sharing their stats? I'm planning on applying OOS next year and am curious to see them. Thanks in advance!

Would some people who got interviews mind sharing their stats? I'm planning on applying OOS next year and am curious to see them. Thanks in advance!

People usually don't like to post this kind of thing until the end of the application season when everything's kind of settled (for a lot of reasons) and there's usually a separate thread for it. Be patient. :)

If you are looking for some average stats, this link provides you with the most recent classes statistics. Since there were more applicants this year, it's not a crazy thought that the numbers might be slightly elevated from last year.

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/characteristics.htm

Good luck on upcoming interviews everyone! I'm a first year and we just finished finals yesterday. If you have any questions feel free to message me!

To give the anxious some hope:

I'm OOS and was a second time applicant (but only applied to Mizzou the second round). Stay the course, and you'll be fine

Congrats to everyone that got an interview!! Best of luck!!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can apply to be a resident to receive resident tuition at Mizzou? Thanks!

Yea you can. After the first year!

Who is getting excited for interviews this week and next week? Feel free to ask any questions on here about how the day goes, how the interview is, etc. y'all will do great :)

Who is getting excited for interviews this week and next week? Feel free to ask any questions on here about how the day goes, how the interview is, etc. y'all will do great :)

Hey! I'm interviewing on the 8th and I'm suuuuuuper excited! Would you mind going over how the whole day looks? Is there a tour or lunch or anything? I don't think I've gotten any emails yet and would love to be prepared! :) thanks in advance!

Hey! I'm interviewing on the 8th and I'm suuuuuuper excited! Would you mind going over how the whole day looks? Is there a tour or lunch or anything? I don't think I've gotten any emails yet and would love to be prepared! :) thanks in advance!
Well the whole day is basically scheduled around your interview and what you want to do.

So let's say you interview at 8:30 am. You can then catch a tour of the vet school after your tour if you want around 9am, maybe chat up some ambassadors or drive around town/campus, and then eat lunch which is normally at 12/1ish. Then you can stay for the student panel (highly recommend!), which goes until 2-2:30ish. Or if you want to tour after lunch/panel you can. Or if you have an afternoon interview, you can tour whenever, eat lunch and go to the interview. It's pretty flexible and us ambassadors will be there to help you along the way!