MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know if there’s a groupme or fb page? I feel so late in the process 😂
The email did not mention a FB page, but I have seen some people mention it on here before. Still waiting for more information including information on scholarships haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected from Harvard this morning for SM80 in Epi - all good since I think it wasn't a good fit overall. Still never heard back from BU, but I committed to Columbia yesterday! Glad this process is over - thank you to everyone who has been supportive and helpful throughout this forum. Wishing everyone the best as they decide which program to attend!

I believe someone mentioned there was a GroupMe for Columbia Epi - could I please be added?
That‘s it! You're invited to my new group 'Columbia Epidemiology' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the class sizes/how many students are accepted by each department at columbia?

does anyone know if GW is still offering admissions i applied 1/14 and havent heard back anything yet, im not even sure if a supplemental application was needed.. anyone know?

All these HSPH rejections are snuffing out what little hope I have left. Hurry up with the rejection letter already!

1614901269696.png

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
does anyone know if GW is still offering admissions i applied 1/14 and havent heard back anything yet, im not even sure if a supplemental application was needed.. anyone know?
i applied 1/14 too (for epi) and i’m also still waiting for a decision, so you’re not alone :) hopefully there’s good news on the way for us! and there’s no supplemental app- i got my “app complete” email on 1/21 btw

• Love
i applied 1/14 too (for epi) and i’m also still waiting for a decision, so you’re not alone :) hopefully there’s good news on the way for us! and there’s no supplemental app- i got my “app complete” email on 1/21 btw
oh phew.. i fr thought i was the only one waiting for a decision, my application got sent for review 1/27... and yes fingers crossed for good news for us :)

• Care
I think I'm going to commit to UCLA epi! Anyone considering!??

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the typical class size for Columbia PopFam?

Just got rejected from UCLA! Now just waiting on Brown and UMD. Brown should be by the end of next week. Waiting for financial aid from Columbia too.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
it really stings seeing others receive 50-60k when i only received 30k to Yale, I should be great full but I am extremely needy and the pressure of loans is so stressful. What did I do wrong..:( i’m sorry for posting about this again I just wish someone could give me good advice on this when other schools gave me less and Yale is my top choice

• Care
I'm deciding between UCLA and UW right now! Still waiting for Berkeley too.

What made you want to commit to UCLA??

Jen Farkas really powered it through! I got in Yale 3 days ago and I got my scholarship info today! She's awesome! However, I only got 30k. Tbh, I am a little disappointed. I'm not sure if it's because my program is the accelerate 1-year mph so I only got 30k. Money is important. But I kind feel frustrated because it seems that Yale does not consider I am outstanding enough to get 60k. Of course, nothing to complain!

Just got rejected from UCLA! Now just waiting on Brown and UMD. Brown should be by the end of next week. Waiting for financial aid from Columbia too.
Waiting on UMD as well I told next week most people should have an answer.

Jen Farkas really powered it through! I got in Yale 3 days ago and I got my scholarship info today! She's awesome! However, I only got 30k. Tbh, I am a little disappointed. I'm not sure if it's because my program is the accelerate 1-year mph so I only got 30k. Money is important. But I kind feel frustrated because it seems that Yale does not consider I am outstanding enough to get 60k. Of course, nothing to complain!

If it's the one-year program, wouldn't 60K scholarship be a full-ride? I am guessing 50% is sort of the max one gets.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
is anyone going to UMN or seriously debating on going? it's one of my top choices so far but i haven't seen that many people talk about it
I know there are many terrific professors at UMN.
It's good and cheap, and you'll have great, caring peers.
Only thing is it's cold. 😂😂
Accepted to Yale!! Shook b/c I thought it was gonna be a reject....2.5months later I get the best surprise <3 CONGRATS TO EVERYONE ELSE!!
Yet another potato?
I swear we have way too many potatoes in public health.

Reactions: 2 users
If it's the one-year program, wouldn't 60K scholarship be a full-ride? I am guessing 50% is sort of the max one gets.
Oh I didn't know that. Just saw so many 60k, 50k in this post. That's pretty comforting. I like Yale a lot. I feel the staff are really nice and I love their vibe and location. I was admitted by Columbia on 1/20 and still no information about the financial aids.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Oh I didn't know that. Just saw so many 60k, 50k in this post. That's pretty comforting. I like Yale a lot. I feel the staff are really nice and I love their vibe and location. I was admitted by Columbia on 1/20 and still no information about the financial aids.

It's all good. On the lighter side, I'll be honest; I was like -

1614906780453.png

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
did anyone accepted to usc mph able to find the intent to enroll form at their yousc portal after 48 hours of receiving their welcome email? i couldnt find it so i emailed the mph admission... just wondering if im the only one having this problem... btw i got rejected from ucla for mph epi, but i knew it was competitive. at least i tried:)

Has anyone recently heard from BU? I applied of 1/14, and my application was marked as complete and sent to review like the first week of February. And I got the standard, 5-6 week timeline. It is week 4 for me, but I’m really losing hope :/ I just wanna knoooooow
I applied End of November, went into review 01/27, still waiting. Losing hope on it, but I won't be necessarily heartbroken because it wasn't a top choice for me. However, I am still anxious to know!

hey guys! idk if anyone here has applied since i haven't seen too much talk about it but has anyone who applied to the MPH Nutrition program at Cal heard back yet?

still waiting on UCLA epi and all these recent rejections are scaring me :cryi:

• Care
The $140K estimate sounds a bit on the high side. I think you could definitely cut down on some cost if you plan to have a roommate and find a place on the free Emory shuttle routes!

From what I've heard, they are still sending out some aid (you could potentially get REAL, which is a work-study program overseen by Rollins). Don't forget that you can also get a part time job too after the 1st semester to help. If debt is the most important thing to you, then the $140K is a steep price for an MPH, but that might depend on what you want to do. If you really want to live and work in the US after, maybe it is worth it if potential jobs for your concentration is above a certain threshold. Definitely reach out to the financial aid office and ask if they can consider you for more and ask what their process is if students with scholarships decline their offers/if you can be considered for more!
Thank you so so much for giving these detailed suggestions! Really means a lot to me! I got this number from an Emory MPH alumni that is also from my country. But I will definitely try to cost down my expense. I”ll update my finical aid circumstance in case anyone needs that info too. 😉

Officially declined my offers to BU, UIC, and Drexel i think...? idk I didn't see an option in their portal but I emailed them saying I won't attend. Good luck everyone waiting/waitlisted to those schools!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
have you attempted to email them for more info on the program? all my emails are not being answered. I want to know stuff at least lol.

it really stings seeing others receive 50-60k when i only received 30k to Yale, I should be great full but I am extremely needy and the pressure of loans is so stressful. What did I do wrong..:( i’m sorry for posting about this again I just wish someone could give me good advice on this when other schools gave me less and Yale is my top choice
bro same. If its need based then I should get full ride.
If its merit based then why did I get accepted?
I got 20k. how does anyone have $80,000 not including money for rent and food.
All i needed was 30k to justify going there...

• Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received scholarship money for UMich’s MPH program? I received my acceptance on 2/5 and I haven’t heard anything from them.

have you attempted to email them for more info on the program? all my emails are not being answered. I want to know stuff at least lol.
Same, they haven’t responded to me at all

• Hmm
To everyone asking about the HSPH MPH 45 HP Program, I'm waiting for the same program. I know one person who got waitlisted but nothing else. 🙈

To everyone asking about the HSPH MPH 45 HP Program, I'm waiting for the same program. I know one person who got waitlisted but nothing else. 🙈

Hope we hear from HSPH tomorrow. Cause,

1614918678395.png

Well think of it this way. Many people dream of going to Yale but are rejected. I guess you have to do your research and see how far the Yale name can get you in the field of public health and if its worth the debt load. Salaries aren't very high in public health....There are some very good public research universities out there with great graduate employment stats....

• Love
bro same. If its need based then I should get full ride.
If its merit based then why did I get accepted?
I got 20k. how does anyone have $80,000 not including money for rent and food.
All i needed was 30k to justify going there...
I've been about the same thing.
I think this whole merit-based award doesn't make too much sense. I mean I understand for anybody who's made a huge effort to get a 3.9 it's an achievement that should be recognized for sure. But don't they, the public health people, the trainers of future public health leaders, realize that many other things could heavily affect your GPA? Poverty, health issues, life circumstances, race, gender, geographic location, just to name a few, can contribute to your GPA and immediately disqualify you from getting those merit-based scholarships. And then you're again in the broken loop: poverty - struggle to afford school - low GPA - not getting awards - struggle to afford school - low GPA - struggle to pay back loans - struggle to lead a decent life - more public health issues - their kids in poverty - .... over and over and over.
For public health programs to set a GPA line for the "merit" and only reward those who might just be more privileged is really unfair.
I mean I'm definitely not implying that all those who got merit awards are "just privileged." I admire you for making all the efforts you could to achieve a stellar GPA. I'm just thinking if as public health trainers these programs are not even considering this as a public health issue and not considering awarding the obviously less-privileged, it's kind of ridiculous.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Has anyone received scholarship money for UMich’s MPH program? I received my acceptance on 2/5 and I haven’t heard anything from them.
I got accepted on the same day and still haven't heard anything.

Has anyone heard back from Dartmouth? If so, how long after your interview did you left the acceptance?

HSPH is probably gonna be dead today. Their website is going down for mtn at 11pm for 4 hours...

I'm most likely gonna commit to Columbia.

HSPH is probably gonna be dead today. Their website is going down for mtn at 11pm for 4 hours...

I'm most likely gonna commit to Columbia.
I assume they would release their decisions on coming Monday. The site maintenance would be their a preparation for "the day"