All Branch Topic (ABT) Navy/Army/Air Force OMS Thread - 2016 Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chompsss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a couple previous threads dedicated to this, but they are fairly outdated (about 7 years old). Granted, I know maybe not a TON has changed in 7 years, but let's not assume that there have not been changes.

I'm hopefully looking for responses from people who have A) applied to these residencies B) gotten into the residencies C) are currently in these residencies or D) have graduated from these residencies

*If you know people who you feel would be able to give quality contributions to this thread, please tag them.

1) Just how competitive are they? Everyone knows OMS is the most difficult to get into (save for the recent push from Pedo), but how many spots are there vs how many applicants? I found these stats from back in 2009-ish, but how about lately? Does anybody have numbers? Also, how often are people getting in straight from school??

ARMY - @AirborneDentist said in 5/2009 that the Army numbers were: 17 applications, 10 accepted (59%) with 50% coming straight from dental school.
AIR FORCE - @AFDDS said back in 5/2009 that that 2006 numbers were 5/12 accepted, 2007 was 5/8 and 2008 was 8/11
NAVY - ??

2) Are there any major differences in locations? Lackland vs Travis for AIR FORCE, Bethesda vs San Diego vs Portsmouth, VA for NAVY. I believe ARMY is only at Fort Gordon, GA, but correct me if I'm wrong.

3) Are people still working a minimum of 80 hours per week or have regulations limited it? I've got some friends in medical school now and they said there has been a push to limit the hours they work. Not sure if OMFS is the same in today's climate?

4) Along the same lines, what does a typical day look like? I saw a while back that @Truedat said people arrive between 0430 and 0600 and work until 1630 and then do rounds, study, lab work, paperwork, case presentations etc. until about 2000 or later. Is that about accurate - anybody experience something different?

4) Payback time is served CONCURRENTLY, right? So, anyone on the HPSP/HSCP would do the 4 years residency and then still owe only 4 years active duty once done.

5) If one starts paying on their dental school loans (if they weren't HPSP and say, HSCP) in the first year of residency, do all four years count towards Public Service Loan Forgiveness?

6) What's the best way to start an application on these residencies? If one is an HPSP or HSCP recipient, would it be recommended to touch base with the residency directors in their branch and talk about OMS or would that not make any sense?

7) Are there really any differences between the qualify of life OR training between the branches in these residencies and in practice afterward? The "general consensus" is that the quality of life goes in this order: Air Force, Navy, Army, but nobody has given specifics. Why do people feel that way? Also, are there any technologies or special focuses that you get in one branch that you don't in others?

That's all I can think of for now - others, feel free to post your questions too!

Members don't see this ad.

I've added my personal opinions below.

There are a couple previous threads dedicated to this, but they are fairly outdated (about 7 years old). Granted, I know maybe not a TON has changed in 7 years, but let's not assume that there have not been changes.

I'm hopefully looking for responses from people who have A) applied to these residencies B) gotten into the residencies C) are currently in these residencies or D) have graduated from these residencies

*If you know people who you feel would be able to give quality contributions to this thread, please tag them.

1) Just how competitive are they? Everyone knows OMS is the most difficult to get into (save for the recent push from Pedo), but how many spots are there vs how many applicants? I found these stats from back in 2009-ish, but how about lately? Does anybody have numbers? Also, how often are people getting in straight from school??

ARMY - @AirborneDentist said in 5/2009 that the Army numbers were: 17 applications, 10 accepted (59%) with 50% coming straight from dental school.
AIR FORCE - @AFDDS said back in 5/2009 that that 2006 numbers were 5/12 accepted, 2007 was 5/8 and 2008 was 8/11
NAVY - ??

Navy was something like 9/19 this year.

2) Are there any major differences in locations? Lackland vs Travis for AIR FORCE, Bethesda vs San Diego vs Portsmouth, VA for NAVY. I believe ARMY is only at Fort Gordon, GA, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Army has 2 spots at Walter Reed

3) Are people still working a minimum of 80 hours per week or have regulations limited it? I've got some friends in medical school now and they said there has been a push to limit the hours they work. Not sure if OMFS is the same in today's climate?

Remember that military working hours can differ from civilian law/rules - military service is fundamentally different from civilian life, and that OMFS is a dental specialty not specifically falling under the rules for medical residencies. With that said, can't tell you for sure what programs work what hours.

4) Along the same lines, what does a typical day look like? I saw a while back that @Truedat said people arrive between 0430 and 0600 and work until 1630 and then do rounds, study, lab work, paperwork, case presentations etc. until about 2000 or later. Is that about accurate - anybody experience something different?

Will vary by program and program director but that's going to be the basic life for most residencies, military or not.

4) Payback time is served CONCURRENTLY, right? So, anyone on the HPSP/HSCP would do the 4 years residency and then still owe only 4 years active duty once done.

Navy DUINS programs are paid back concurrently with any other educational service obligation IF done in an inservice program or other Federal services program. If you do an outservice program or NADDS, the time is served cumulatively.

5) If one starts paying on their dental school loans (if they weren't HPSP and say, HSCP) in the first year of residency, do all four years count towards Public Service Loan Forgiveness?

If you are on active duty PSLF should apply, regardless of what you're doing.

6) What's the best way to start an application on these residencies? If one is an HPSP or HSCP recipient, would it be recommended to touch base with the residency directors in their branch and talk about OMS or would that not make any sense?

I would contact whoever is in charge of your HPSP/HSCP program and ask them as the services have different requirements and deadlines. Speaking with residency program directors and specialty leaders is never a bad idea but the most important thing right now for you is doing well in school.

7) Are there really any differences between the qualify of life OR training between the branches in these residencies and in practice afterward? The "general consensus" is that the quality of life goes in this order: Air Force, Navy, Army, but nobody has given specifics. Why do people feel that way? Also, are there any technologies or special focuses that you get in one branch that you don't in others?

Everyone thinks their branch is better - the fact is that you'll get good training whichever one you go to. Same with post-residency life - the Army has way more bases but also many more undesirable locations - the Navy has lots of great locations but deploy more often (relatively speaking) than the other branches especially in peacetime, and the Air Force has some great bases and some terrible ones.

That's all I can think of for now - others, feel free to post your questions too!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if an OMS from one branch is able to be stationed at a tri-service base, such as an Air Force OMS at Walter Reed for example.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if an OMS from one branch is able to be stationed at a tri-service base, such as an Air Force OMS at Walter Reed for example.

Technically yes, but it's not very common at this time. Over the next 10 years I expect that to change, at least in areas where multiple services have presences.

Technically yes, but it's not very common at this time. Over the next 10 years I expect that to change, at least in areas where multiple services have presences.
What is it that makes you expect that to change?

I've added my personal opinions below.

Navy was something like 9/19 this year.

Army has 2 spots at Walter Reed

Remember that military working hours can differ from civilian law/rules - military service is fundamentally different from civilian life, and that OMFS is a dental specialty not specifically falling under the rules for medical residencies. With that said, can't tell you for sure what programs work what hours.

Will vary by program and program director but that's going to be the basic life for most residencies, military or not.

Navy DUINS programs are paid back concurrently with any other educational service obligation IF done in an inservice program or other Federal services program. If you do an outservice program or NADDS, the time is served cumulatively.

If you are on active duty PSLF should apply, regardless of what you're doing.

I would contact whoever is in charge of your HPSP/HSCP program and ask them as the services have different requirements and deadlines. Speaking with residency program directors and specialty leaders is never a bad idea but the most important thing right now for you is doing well in school.

Everyone thinks their branch is better - the fact is that you'll get good training whichever one you go to. Same with post-residency life - the Army has way more bases but also many more undesirable locations - the Navy has lots of great locations but deploy more often (relatively speaking) than the other branches especially in peacetime, and the Air Force has some great bases and some terrible ones.
Thanks vellnueve! Anybody else got input for the questions posed so far?