NC State University c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea on when the NC-Resident Committee review might begin? (asking for my girlfriend)

Thanks!
Based on our timeline, we hope to begin the NC Resident review in January.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
REMINDER - Please don't forget to submit fall transcripts (if applicable) as soon as Fall 2016 grades are posted on your transcript.

REMINDER - Please don't forget to submit fall transcripts (if applicable) as soon as Fall 2016 grades are posted on your transcript.

Are certified electronic official transcripts acceptable? If so, what e-mail address would we use to send it? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does NCSU prefer students to use Apple or PC? I know some schools prefer students to have something specific, like an iPad, and was just curious what NCSU preferred.

The university lists computer recommendations at this site:
https://oit.ncsu.edu/my-it/hardware-software/your-computer/#college

The College of Veterinary Medicine’s minimum recommendations for existing computers do not differ from the general recommendations of NC State University. However, for those considering the purchase of a new computer we recommend a laptop/tablet computer and offer the following suggestions:

Learning Style Quiz Before choosing a laptop or a tablet, please consider your preferred learning styles. A laptop might be best if you are a verbal or reflective learner, are a fast typist and are very comfortable with a mouse. A tablet might be best if you are a visual or active learner, need to take notes and draw diagrams to learn, or have a slower typing style.

RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE
For Macintosh Users

ADDITIONAL PURCHASE RECOMMENDATIONS
  • Upgrade Memory to 8 GB or more for improved performance
  • Optical Drive for CD/DVD reading and burning
  • External Hard Drive for backing up your data
  • 4 year Warranty
  • 4 year Accidental Damage Protection and 2nd battery

Just realized that Mid December is in a week or so! We should know OOS admission soon!!!!

i wish we had an exact date ... although it still probably wouldnt prevent me from checking my email 20 times a day lol:dead:

i wish we had an exact date ... although it still probably wouldnt prevent me from checking my email 20 times a day lol:dead:
I have my emails set to notify me with alarms, sounds, and notifications if I get an email from one of the 5 I applied to. Hahaha. It definitely helps

It's a dream but not getting my hopes up. My GRE scores will be the death of me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
No, a specific date hasn't been set. The hope is to release decisions before winter break.

Winter break starts on December 23, 2016 for NC State.

Forgot to note that the College will reopen for administrative business on Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 8am.

ANOTHER REMINDER - Please don't forget to submit fall transcripts (if applicable) as soon as Fall 2016 grades are posted on your transcript.

we could theoretically hear any day now :eek:

key word being theoretically haha. I'd say it's more likely to happen after Christmas Break

Welcome Weekend for accepted students is January 14-15, so if we only hear back in January, that's cutting it awfully close! I wouldn't be at all shocked by a delay, but I'd bet the admissions team is aiming for sometime next week.

yeah hopefully its sooner than january. i wish we had a date!

yeah hopefully its sooner than january. i wish we had a date!

We have it pretty much nailed down to a 2-week time frame, and given that they changed from "by the middle of December" to "the hope is to release decisions before the 23rd," it'll probably be towards the end of that. Not bad.

I'm expecting it to be next Friday.

They might want to try for earlier in case there's any mix-up. If someone doesn't get an email (which has happened in the past), it would be awful to have to wait until January to find out!

Ahhh the dream school. This was the one for me when I applied, but my GRE is what's gonna get me. Good luck to everyone! :)

Ahhh the dream school. This was the one for me when I applied, but my GRE is what's gonna get me. Good luck to everyone! :)
same. I applied here because it's the dream school, and I would kick myself for not applying, but I have my doubts about actually getting accepted

Quick poll questions...
1. Does anyone who regularly reads the NC State Class of 2021 thread also read the NC State CVM News thread?
2. If so, do you find the stories helpful in learning more about NC State?
3. If so, has it prompted you to visit the NC State CVM website to learn more about the college?
4. If so, what has been your favorite story?
5. If not (relating back to Q1), why not?

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Yes to both
2. Also yes
3. Again yes, I've found out about events going on at the vet school that I wouldn't have known about without the forum posts.
4. I've been particularly interested in news updates about veterinary research at the NCSU CVM. I'm interested in gaining research experience during vet school and this helps me figure out what sort of projects I might be able to take part in.

Thanks for doing a great job keeping us updated! It's much appreciated.

Quick poll questions...
1. Does anyone who regularly reads the NC State Class of 2021 thread also read the NC State CVM News thread?
3. If so, has it prompted you to visit the NC State CVM website to learn more about the college?

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Yes to both
2. Also yes
3. Again yes, I've found out about events going on at the vet school that I wouldn't have known about without the forum posts.
4. I've been particularly interested in news updates about veterinary research at the NCSU CVM. I'm interested in gaining research experience during vet school and this helps me figure out what sort of projects I might be able to take part in.

Thanks for doing a great job keeping us updated! It's much appreciated.

Thank you for responding!

Quick poll questions...

Thanks for the feedback!
1- I regularly read this thread, and I'll check the NC State CVM News tread if I notice there's an unread post, but I usually don't read the article unless the topic is something I'm interested in.
2- I'm not sure if the posts teach me about NC State, but the posts definitely help define the caliber of professionalism and growth that is happening at NC State.
3- Sorta? This question was more irrelevant for me. I've been on the website numerous times already, so the posts didn't prompt me to visit the website more.
4- I loved the "When Neurons are 'Born' Impacts Olfactory Behavior in Mice" article. I enjoy hearing more about the science of it all rather than more behavioral aspects.

I personally (and probably most applicants) appreciate NC State CVM for keeping us updated at what is going on not only with admissions, but also with the CVM itself.

Quick poll questions...

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Sometimes
2. It depends on the story. The one about the Harry Potter style houses certainly was. As an applicant, I'm more interested in learning about the curriculum, the teaching hospital, the admissions process, and what student life is like there than about particular research projects or individuals at NC State. But I do find that interesting, too!
3. I think a few times I've clicked through, but I've already visited and thoroughly read the site several times while applying.
4. I don't remember the name, but there was an interesting one awhile back about NC State researchers and students collaborating with vets in Africa to help rhinos whose horns were cut off.
5. I do read it, but I would definitely read it more if the titles gave me more of an idea of what the article is about or if they had a brief description too. For instance, the most recent one is "In Living Color" and I didn't click on it because I don't know what it's about and the title wasn't enough to interest me.

I do appreciate that you keep us updated with the admissions process and what's happening at NC State! I wish other schools would do the same. Do you happen to have an update on out-of state admissions, or are we still hoping for emails by the 23rd but with no specific date set?

Quick poll questions...

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Yes, sometimes!
2. Yes, I like hearing about current research projects!
3. That particular thread hasn't prompted me to visit the website but I've definitely looked through the website before
4. No particular favorite
5. N/A

Also, @NCSU CVM what are the chances that admissions decisions will be released tomorrow? :)

Sometimes. If I see a story pop up that I'm interested in.

Yes I do indeed. It helps me see what programs they have relating to what I wanna do. However, even without the stories, I'd still be interested in going to NC State.

Yes it has, but I've visited the site even before reading the stories.

A Devotion to Equine Stem Cell Research

1. Yes, sometimes!
2. Yes, I like hearing about current research projects!
3. That particular thread hasn't prompted me to visit the website but I've definitely looked through the website before
4. No particular favorite
5. N/A

Also, @NCSU CVM what are the chances that admissions decisions will be released tomorrow? :)
I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback.

We won't be able to release decisions tomorrow but we are on pace to make notifications by December 23.

1. Sometimes
2. It depends on the story. The one about the Harry Potter style houses certainly was. As an applicant, I'm more interested in learning about the curriculum, the teaching hospital, the admissions process, and what student life is like there than about particular research projects or individuals at NC State. But I do find that interesting, too!
3. I think a few times I've clicked through, but I've already visited and thoroughly read the site several times while applying.
4. I don't remember the name, but there was an interesting one awhile back about NC State researchers and students collaborating with vets in Africa to help rhinos whose horns were cut off.
5. I do read it, but I would definitely read it more if the titles gave me more of an idea of what the article is about or if they had a brief description too. For instance, the most recent one is "In Living Color" and I didn't click on it because I don't know what it's about and the title wasn't enough to interest me.

I do appreciate that you keep us updated with the admissions process and what's happening at NC State! I wish other schools would do the same. Do you happen to have an update on out-of state admissions, or are we still hoping for emails by the 23rd but with no specific date set?
We don't have a specific date set but we are on pace for December 23.

Reactions: 2 users
HAPPY HOLIDAYS from the ...
ncstate-cvm-2x2-2cl-rgb-300x55.jpg

and
NC_State_Vet_Hospital_Vertical_Logo_WolfpackRed_RGB-300x93.png

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!!!! @cdoconn I'm ready for one either, but I know it's coming!

Our vet school Pack is about to get larger. Check your mailboxes for these soon!

Reactions: 3 users
I saw that on Facebook as well! We still should be getting an email too right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Our vet school Pack is about to get larger. Check your mailboxes for these soon!

I just moved from Florida to Texas, hopefully mine (if I'm getting accepted) will get forwarded quickly. Is there a way to update my contact information with admissions?

Will we be getting an email as well? I recently went on my winter break and am about 10 hours from my present address so wouldn't be able to check until the middle of January when I get back

Will we be getting an email as well? I recently went on my winter break and am about 10 hours from my present address so wouldn't be able to check until the middle of January when I get back
Yes, e-mail notification will also be sent by December 23.

We thank everyone for their patience during the admissions cycle.