New Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey geff when you cite their "average MCAT" what are you referring to, are you talking about the 25 minimum you need to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

PS. I'm an instate applicant. I'm 99.9% sure I was rejected on the basis of my 25P because they grilled me on it. My GPA is ~3.7 and my ECs are above average (feel free to dispute this).

Hey geff when you cite their "average MCAT" what are you referring to, are you talking about the 25 minimum you need to apply?

Hey VTHOKIE to answer ur private msg, you can check my MD profile No 16509.

I thought my interviewers and I had a good conversation but apparently not. Or because I tried too hard to help them promoting their school on campus. I really enjoyed my experience with them and made a point to thank them individually. Maybe that conveyed me as too much of a desperate candidate. Whatever it is, I would like to thank everyone at this thread for the support we gave to one another. thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
by average mcat, i meant to say in the range of 27-31... im just wondering what their criterias are in the screening process... is it simply because they have already filled up their seats, and have accepted enough waitlisted applicants to secure their charter class of 60??

Heyyyooooh let's hear it for the OOS waitlist crowd!

han14tra: Jeff is a great school, you should be very proud of your accomplishment.

rememberTSG
: from one Californian to another: nicely done.

PipiChen: I think it's a mistake to worry about sounding too enthusiastic. That's approaching a cynicism that you don't want to acquire this early in the application cycle. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Heyyyooooh let's hear it for the OOS waitlist crowd!

han14tra: Jeff is a great school, you should be very proud of your accomplishment.

rememberTSG
: from one Californian to another: nicely done.

PipiChen: I think it's a mistake to worry about sounding too enthusiastic. That's approaching a cynicism that you don't want to acquire this early in the application cycle. Best of luck!

Thanks for the concern. In fact, my peers have been trying to convince me that I have been trying to hard to impress the school. For me, I have always been holding myself to my moral principles and doing everything with a pure intention This rejection is a verdict for my uncontained enthusiasm and my friends wise comments.

]This rejection is a verdict for my uncontained enthusiasm and my friends wise comments.

I think the rejections are more frequently handed out for other reasons that are more easily noted (GPA, MCAT, interview) than something as amorphous as 'enthusiasm'. Don't let one school's decision determine how you act!

Personally, I think they may have accepted too many people too quick. My interviewer told me that for the first day of interviewing they had 15 applicants. They accepted 13 and waitlisted 2. Rejected 0. Now, a lot more people are getting rejected. Who knows, moving on.

Personally, I think they may have accepted too many people too quick. My interviewer told me that for the first day of interviewing they had 15 applicants. They accepted 13 and waitlisted 2. Rejected 0. Now, a lot more people are getting rejected. Who knows, moving on.

I guess they got a little too eager. Ill join the wait list group, and I am instate. My interview sucked, so really not too surprised. Congrats to everyone that got in, and for everyone else... keep on keepin on.

Accepted! Probably won't be going here though. I have better offers. Good luck to other applicants though!

Maybe that conveyed me as too much of a desperate candidate.

As someone said in another thread, "It's like with dating, desperation just doesn't translate well... it makes one a less attractive applicant."

Members don't see this ad :)
rejected... pre-interview... not sure why... i thought my mcat was above their average interviewees.... tons of EC and commitment to serving underserved communities... sigh disappointed... but o well.... at least i have an interview from another school... :oops:

would you mind telling me what your stats were? I am still waiting to hear back from them too. I really wanted to go there and i am waitlisted at another school so just wanted to get an idea. Also, what school are you interviewing at(if you don't mind telling me). At least I can keep my hopes up if i applied there. I really hate the waiting game!! I just want an acceptance so I can have a good xmas..

hopeful!!!

H

Last edited:
yep, the school definitely hugely favors PA residents, if you look under the MDapplicants website, people got interviews with 25 and 26 mcats, and about 3.1 or 3.2 gpa.... but i thought they do not have preference this year since they just wanna get the charter class going... isnt that what previous posts had mentioned? =(

While I don't usually like to hypothesize about what is happening during admissions committee meetings, I will offer my two cents on TCMC: I think they may have underestimated the strength of their applicant pool early in the cycle, and may be making corrections for it now.

While I don't usually like to hypothesize about what is happening during admissions committee meetings, I will offer my two cents on TCMC: I think they may have underestimated the strength of their applicant pool early in the cycle, and may be making corrections for it now.

Although this may be true, I think it is more a matter of TCMC interviewing most promising candidates first. Applicants with not only strong GPA/MCAT/EC, but also who live in Northeastern, PA, and could be expected to stay in this area. Just another possibility.

I think that a main concern is also accepting a class with high stats, so that they will look good to future applicants. I was accepted into Jefferson's Physician Shortage Area Program (who has a good reputation already, and doesn't necessary need to accept all high stat applicants) and I live in NE PA. I was rejected at TCMC, so they are not as set on getting physicians back to NE PA as you might think.

I think that a main concern is also accepting a class with high stats, so that they will look good to future applicants. I was accepted into Jefferson's Physician Shortage Area Program (who has a good reputation already, and doesn't necessary need to accept all high stat applicants) and I live in NE PA. I was rejected at TCMC, so they are not as set on getting physicians back to NE PA as you might think.
They are. However in order to establish yourself you do need stats to show for it. Stats are important at most schools. There is no free for all, luckily, because this application process would be 10X harder.

It sucks you got rejected, but it doesn't mean they are compromishing their goals. They're trying to set themselves up as a respectable institution. I think most can see where they are coming from. Credibility is built on precedence.

Hello Doctor Y, I have a score of 29Q .. 3.85 GPA ... tons of EC, volunteer research and leadership experience, wrote about my dedication in serving medically underserved communities such as those in Pennsylvania... good luck! I hope their screening criteria works in your favor!

It looks like your app. is outstanding, any idea why you didn't get an interview? Did you meet all their requirements...citizenship, core classes, etc.:confused:

Just got accepted yesterday; OOS. I interviewed on the morning of 12/3 and was really impressed. I think they are building up a top shelf program in Scranton.

Last edited:
Just got accepted yesterday; OOS. I interviewed a few weeks ago and was really impressed. I think they are building up a top shelf program in Scranton.

congrats! do you think you can tell me your stats? thanks!

So I was just marked complete today. How long has it generally taken to hear something?

Difficult to predict probably as they are getting busier as each week goes on since primaries and secondaries are probably still coming in, now interviews have started, and then decisions are being made.

I had a 5 day turnaround, including a weekend, after being marked complete.

Congrats to those who were accepted!

Difficult to predict probably as they are getting busier as each week goes on since primaries and secondaries are probably still coming in, now interviews have started, and then decisions are being made.

I had a 5 day turnaround, including a weekend, after being marked complete.

Congrats to those who were accepted!

Just got invited to interview. That was quick! (~2 days)

I got the secondary but was so turned off by the huge glut of emails with typos and constant application crashes that I decided it wasn't worth it. I interviewed at another start up school and their stuff just seemed to be so much more together.

Has anyone had experience flying directly into Scranton? I'm curious if I should rent a car or just Taxi all the way.

Rejected, but that's OK. My biggest motivation applying is the fact that 1 of my 4 brothers is there...must've seen right through it. Que sera, sera....

Is it just me or do their clinical years SUCK. They are doing some serious primary care channeling here.
Our area, the Greater Scranton area has a shortage of physicians. You can find PCPs but they usually can't take new patients for atleast a month. We need more in the area, hence the school's mission. They're open about it.

Chemnerd89,

I fly into Scranton (Airport: AVP) all the time. You will definitely need to rent a car to get to Scranton from AVP. I believe it is approximately 9 miles:

Wilkes-Barre-Scranton International Airport

1.Head north on Terminal Rd toward Spruce St
camera_dr1.png
0.3 mi
2.Turn left at Spruce St
camera_dr1.png
302 ft
3.Turn right at PA-315/Terminal Rd
camera_dr1.png
302 ft
4.Take the ramp onto I-81 N
camera_dr1.png
6.4 mi
5.Take exit 185 on the left toward Central Scranton Exprwy
camera_dr1.png
0.4 mi
6.Merge onto Scranton Expy
camera_dr1.png
0.7 mi
7.Take the exit on the left toward Central City
camera_dr1.png
0.2 mi
8.Merge onto PA-307/US-11
camera_dr1.png
0.2 mi
9.Turn right at Madison Ave
camera_dr1.png
0.3 mi
10.Turn left at Vine St Destination will be on the right

I think someone mentioned the Radisson in Scranton has a rate going for people interviewing at TCMC.

Yes, the Radisson is giving a discounted TCMC rate. It is a very nice hotel and is within walking distance (approx three-four blocks) from TCMC.

Any hotel recommendations?

I bid thru priceline and got a pretty nice place (3 star) up in Clark's Summit a few miles out of Scranton. I think it is like a resort hotel during the summer --the name of it is the Inn at Nichols. I paid about $63 total.

I flew into Philly and drove over to Scranton. Wouldn't do that again if I could help it. I saved a few dollars but flying into and driving out of philly (and back again the next day) was a real pain. Next time I will fly into the nearby airport in Wilkes-Barre (AVP) which is only 10 miles or so from the school.

Good luck. Travel safe.

How much does the Radisson cost with the discount from TCMC?

I think its roughly ~$80. Probably a little more after taxes/fees.

Heck, if a med school is in scranton I would go there in a heart beat.... if only to see Dwight and PB&J. I love the office

Hey everyone,

Congrats to those that got in, and good luck to those that are still waiting.

I actually have an interview at TCMC this week and was wondering if those of you that interviewed had any advise for me, or any questions that stumped you that I should perhaps think about beforehand?

Please post or PM me back. I can give you more information about my application as well if you need.

Thanks

i checked and the radison ends up being around 95 dollars. 5 dollars for parking! plus all of the taxes. blaahh

Has anyone who interviewed on the 10th heard anything yet?

dasein77

i interviewed on the 10th and I havent heard

I received an acceptance email this morning!
Interviewed on the 10th, this has to be a record in terms of turnaround time.

I think TCMC will provide one of the best medical educations...very progressive, state of the art, great vision. I'm really excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.