New Medical School

Started by CarrieBad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Why: To increase the number of physicians in Northeastern Pennsylvania. During the next 20 years, the new medical school is expected to add 425 qualified diverse practicing physicians to this part of the state."

Thats only a little over 20 people a year? How many are they expecting to have iin each class?

20 per year to just Northeastern Pennsylvania is actually pretty high when you consider that people regularly leave the state where they went to medical school for residencies. A good number will probably match to other parts of Pennsylvania too.
 
Any secondary news yet?

I'm just hoping it's reasonable. I'm sick of essays, and if theirs has like 8 of them, it just might go in the trash.
 
Any secondary news yet?

I'm just hoping it's reasonable. I'm sick of essays, and if theirs has like 8 of them, it just might go in the trash.
:laugh:

I added them on Sunday via AMCAS and still do not have a secondary.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They do want an "interesting" LOR. They are specifically requesting a character letter in addition to a committee letter. Yes, all letters are more often than not about one's character, but it struck me that they specifically request one.
 
Bacchus, I thought that was interesting as well. Anyway I am pretty interested in this school. Not my first choice but definitely worth looking at. I wonder how prepared their admissions office is, since I don't think anyone has a secondary yet.
 
I just added this one too. I'm OOS but I have family in pennsylvania... should be interesting.
 
Did anyone else add to AMCAS...? I didn't receive any conformation of anything yet...
 
Anyone know how situations like these (new med schools, with their first set of students, waiting for accredidation) usually turn out? What are the odds that they don't make the cut at the end of 4 years? What happens then, if we finish their program and its not accredited? We have to start as first years somewhere else?
 
Yeah, but if you don't get granted your degree (because of the school) your loans are usually forgiven 😉. However it will be four years later and it will be more expensive to attend again so you'll be losing money. Like always, its about the $$$.
 
There are actually four commonwealths in the US (Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia), but that's not the point. It's kind of like those shirts that just say "College" on them or the occasional pennants that Homer Simpson holds up that say things like "TV Sports." The shirts and pennants are funny because they're generic. The same is true of this new med school.

It's just the name that I find funny, though. The school looks very promising.

Aw, but the shirts that say "college" are in reference to dartmouth.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am kind of getting annoyed with no secondary. With their shorter time line I would have imagined they would be a little faster with the secondary turn around time.
 
Anyone know how situations like these (new med schools, with their first set of students, waiting for accredidation) usually turn out? What are the odds that they don't make the cut at the end of 4 years? What happens then, if we finish their program and its not accredited? We have to start as first years somewhere else?

I've never actually heard of one get prelim accreditation and then losing it. The guidelines are pretty tough and many of the things to have full accreditation are just dependent on graduating a class and what not. It isn't like they are trying out for it. Not everyone can go through and get the prelim. It takes a lot of planning and lobbying along with meeting several guidelines. If they are put on a probationary status then it can cause some headaches for graduates, but your degree won't be worthless.

The prelim status is granted once they take a tour of your facilities. They then give you a list of things that have to be done by a certain time. They usually aren't expensive things and it is advantageous and usually in their plans to have those worked out anyway. It could be something as simple as more study areas or as complicated as administrative funding issues. In order to get to the stage they are at though, they need a building, some faculty, study areas, clinical agreements to support the class figured out and a whole bunch of other stuff.
 
Anyone know how situations like these (new med schools, with their first set of students, waiting for accredidation) usually turn out? What are the odds that they don't make the cut at the end of 4 years? What happens then, if we finish their program and its not accredited? We have to start as first years somewhere else?

I was told at FIU when I asked this that if they lost pre-lim accreditation for some reason the aamc? or one of these organizations guarentees a spot for all the students from the failed med school at another medical school, it doesn't mean you will have any choice in that matter, they will stick ppl all over the place.
 
I was told at FIU when I asked this that if they lost pre-lim accreditation for some reason the aamc? or one of these organizations guarentees a spot for all the students from the failed med school at another medical school, it doesn't mean you will have any choice in that matter, they will stick ppl all over the place.
So win win win?:meanie:
 
It was explained you can't use a *.edu address in the US if you aren't fully accredited. This doesn't lead to the credibility of the institution, its just a technicality.
For all of you that haven't dealt with NE winters... Scranton and the surrounding areas got between 6 - 12 inches of snow today and spread out power outages. Its only October 28. :meanie: Granted, I don't ever remember this happening this early and I've lived in the area my entire life.
 
For all of you that haven't dealt with NE winters... Scranton and the surrounding areas got between 6 - 12 inches of snow today and spread out power outages. Its only October 28. :meanie: Granted, I don't ever remember this happening this early and I've lived in the area my entire life.

I visited my family in Pittsburgh one summer for the 4th of July when I was growing up, and the fireworks were canceled on account of snow flurries.

It's rare, but it can happen!
 
Added on AMCAS a couple days ago. I think it would be interesting to be in the first class going through a school like this. The website makes the school look promising and I would like to have a rural or small town focus in my career. Still no secondary but I'll be patient 🙂
 
"Why: To increase the number of physicians in Northeastern Pennsylvania. During the next 20 years, the new medical school is expected to add 425 qualified diverse practicing physicians to this part of the state."

Thats only a little over 20 people a year? How many are they expecting to have iin each class?

People move away. And I wouldn't be surprised if people want to move away from Northeaster Pennsylvania.
 
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is having a medical care crisis. Malpractice is out of control and the govenor is trying to take over the excess liability fund so he can provide socialized health care for state residents. Consequently, malpractice rates have shot up. Physicians are leaving the state in droves and newly trained doc are much less likely to set up practice there (1/3 the rate of 20 years ago). My understanding that educating docs to stay in the Pennsylvania -- especially the more rural areas -- is one of the main purposes for setting up the school.

Ed
 
Yea. I haven't heard many good things about being a physician in PA. It doesn't help that many PA residents don't get much of a preference with instate schools. I bet a lot of those people would consider staying but end up going to a school out of state and never returning.

Scranton is cold but I think it is a beautiful area and it isn't too far from NYC (about 2 hours). I went to PSU, and returning to Pennsylvania is still an attractive idea to me. It is probably more attractive because I am not thinking about the winter as much. My car dying in -15 seems to fade in my memory.
 
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is having a medical care crisis. Malpractice is out of control and the govenor is trying to take over the excess liability fund so he can provide socialized health care for state residents. Consequently, malpractice rates have shot up. Physicians are leaving the state in droves and newly trained doc are much less likely to set up practice there (1/3 the rate of 20 years ago). My understanding that educating docs to stay in the Pennsylvania -- especially the more rural areas -- is one of the main purposes for setting up the school.

Ed
Exactly. Here's a look at issues plaguing NEPA (these are all counties surrounding Scranton including it's own county):

Lackawanna:
Community Medical Center - Has been unable to attract a new orthopedic spine surgeon to Northeastern Pennsylvania, according to Orthopedic Surgeon Harry Schmaltz

Scranton - Nine of 12 orthopedic surgeons no longer take trauma call in Scranton
Community Medical Center

Scranton - Ten ER physicians at Community Medical Center, Scranton, were forced to turn to the hospital for assistance in covering increased liability premiums after losing their insurance

Scranton - 12 surgeons have retired or died in the past five years and none have been recruited to take their place, according to a CNN interview with Dr. Charles Bannon

Luzerne:

Greater Hazleton Health Alliance - Which operates the former Hazleton State General Hospital and the former Hazleton-St. Joseph Medical Center, has announced layoffs of 25-30 workers in 2002 due, in part, to a premium increase from $510,000 to $1.4 million for the Broad Street Campus and from $500,000 to $2.1 million for the Church Street Campus, according to CEO Bernard Rudegeair, who also noted that the hospitals face a $3 million deficit by year's end.

Wyoming Valley Health Care System - Eliminated 52 positions on May 1, 2002, including nurses, accountants, and clerical staff, according to hospital President Dr. William Host. This follows the elimination of 23 managerial positions in April, 2002. These measures are expected to save the hospital $3.5 million, reducing a standing $10 million deficit, due in part to malpractice insurance premium increase, according to Dr. Host.

Monroe:

Pocono Medical Center - In 1992, there were 10 orthopedic surgeons taking trauma call at Pocono Medical Center, the only major facility serving the Pocono's many busy ski areas; now there are only four taking trauma call in 2003

Pocono Medical Center - Lost money in 2001, according to the PA Health Care Cost Containment Council, due in part to increased malpractice costs
Pocono Medical Center - Expected its malpractice premiums to jump from $1.2 million to $3.4 million when its current policy expires in August 2002, according to CEO Eugene LeBlond, who also noted that the insurance crisis has held up approval for the hospital's strategic plan to meet the growing needs of the county

Pocono Medical Center - Serving the Poconos ski areas and seeing over 60,000 ER patients each year, no longer has a neurosurgeon on staff
 
That is pretty scary and sounds like you'd either have a lot of autonomy or a lot of scut work during rotations. There needs to be some serious legislative changes. I love PA, but not enough to ignore more financially feasible alternatives.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea. I haven't heard many good things about being a physician in PA. It doesn't help that many PA residents don't get much of a preference with instate schools. I bet a lot of those people would consider staying but end up going to a school out of state and never returning.

Scranton is cold but I think it is a beautiful area and it isn't too far from NYC (about 2 hours). I went to PSU, and returning to Pennsylvania is still an attractive idea to me. It is probably more attractive because I am not thinking about the winter as much. My car dying in -15 seems to fade in my memory.

This is very, very true. I have heard this from every doctor I have shadowed.
 
i called their admissions office on monday and they said that they were planning on sending them out tomorrow. i added them to my AMCAS application on 10/24. i'm a PA resident btw...

That's good to hear, finally. PA resident here as well, and I think I added it on the 16th... its been awhile lol. Thanks for calling and letting us know
 
Hey everyone, I got the secondary today. I have gmail and it went in my spam. the questions arent bad, but they want less then 200 words for
List five attributes you would expect
from a physician. For each attribute, describe one or two of YOUR
experiences that correlate or demonstrate that attribute about you

8) (100 words or less) If you could speak directly to the
Admission's Committee, tell them exactly why you should
be admitted to The Commonwealth Medical College.:

those are the only 2 real essays. the secondary fee is 100.
 
You have to be kidding me, lol, you are not allowed to use the word "and"! It messes up the application program.
 
Did you guys just remove the word "and" from all of your essays and it worked? I'm a little annoyed that I have to do that...and am actually debating using an ampersand in my essays.
 
Did you guys just remove the word "and" from all of your essays and it worked? I'm a little annoyed that I have to do that...and am actually debating using an ampersand in my essays.

God bless the semicolon. Some adcom is gonna read ten of these and be like, "Hmmm, does no one use and anymore? What has this country come to?"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone actually list out the attributes and just put an experience under them or did everyone write it in paragraph form.

I figure listing would save some space and make it a little easier.
 
I am listing.

Do you think its wise to mention interview/acceptance to another school...so as not sound desperate?
 
Wow, for the 5 qualities field - after putting down the first two qualities, I can't not start from a new line for the rest. lol
 
Not sure about the interview/acceptance thing, If it were me I dont think it would be a good idea.

The 5 qualities one is tough. I'm at 197 words with 1 quality left, I guess I'm going to have to edit a lot, though all of my experiences are barely descriptive at all. Avoiding the word "and" is difficult too.
 
Not sure about the interview/acceptance thing, If it were me I dont think it would be a good idea.

The 5 qualities one is tough. I'm at 197 words with 1 quality left, I guess I'm going to have to edit a lot, though all of my experiences are barely descriptive at all. Avoiding the word "and" is difficult too.


This is bizarre. I can use "and", but I get cut off at 155 words. Anyone else?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.