New Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really weird. I can use "and" now, however I had the word executive and it brought up an error about having "exec" in the essay.

Still annoyed by this 200 word limit also.

Members don't see this ad.

wow this is annoying... seriously... i have exactly 200 words... but they wont let me load it... they cut me off at like 157..... I am so mad.... i have emailed them ... so hopefully they'll respond soon!!!! The second essay i didnt have a problem, I was able to upload 100 words perfectly.:mad::mad::mad::mad::thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

wow this is annoying... seriously... i have exactly 200 words... but they wont let me load it... they cut me off at like 157..... I am so mad.... i have emailed them ... so hopefully they'll respond soon!!!! The second essay i didnt have a problem, I was able to upload 100 words perfectly.:mad::mad::mad::mad::thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

yea, i think everyone is having problems with their system. hopefully they will have all the glitches worked out soon. i will probably try to submit my application sometime this weekend (assumming their system will let me), if not then on monday. has anyone been able to successfully submit their secondary application today???

hope everyone's having a great halloween, btw. i was just outside and ran into a bunch of little kids who were trick-or-treating. they were so adorable! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about the 100 dollar secondary. Seems a little steep.

Ok, this is a honest request. Since there is no data on the school yet, I would like to know who the competition is.

If you feel comfortable doing so, please list: MCAT score, GPA, PA or OOS.

Here's mine:

MCAT: 25 P
GPA: 3.79 non-science 3.59 science at Bucknell University (near Scranton).
PA resident.

yea, i think everyone is having problems with their system. hopefully they will have all the glitches worked out soon. i will probably try to submit my application sometime this weekend (assumming their system will let me), if not then on monday. has anyone been able to successfully submit their secondary application today???

I was finally able to submit it. From what I found, they only allow one paragraph break (like blank line kinda thing), so my idea of separating the 5 attributes with a blank line failed miserably. Also, somehow if you use the blank line, it chops your word count down to around 155 ish. When I just jumbled everything together in one massively run-on paragraph, I could submit with 200 words.

Good luck :luck:

Thanks for the warnings. I had a little trouble with the secondary too.
I'm OOS (SC, OR native) but my brother lives in Williamsport so this school was on my radar. Also I'm not too shy of being a first-year at a new school since I did that all with PA school (2nd class of new program 10 years ago, program still going strong). UG GPA not impressive, 3.2 ish, scGPA around 3.0, MCAT 24S (yeah, I know, it's been 12 years since I took that stuff). But I DO have 8 years as a primary care/rural PA, excellent references and a well-defined personal statement, so what the heck, I'll throw my hat in.
I agree $100 for a secondary is a little steep but it's not as steep as the $175 secondary for PNWU-Yakima (DO) which I have not yet submitted.

They're specifically look for NEPA'ns (Northeast PA) and PA'ns. I'm sure there will be OOS students however.

i don't know if i should apply to this school, it appears that the secondary app is very heavily PA based. does that mean they only want in state? do you know how many OOS roughly?

I applied anyway. I was sure to mention that my (favorite) brother lives in Williamsport and I visited last month and found the region beautiful. It looks very liveable.

i don't know if i should apply to this school, it appears that the secondary app is very heavily PA based. does that mean they only want in state? do you know how many OOS roughly?
I'm not sure how many. You can possibly call and ask them? They're taking in a class of 60 and I'm sure 1000's are going to apply. The school's mission is to keep doctors in the region because there is a huge lack in the area. Being out of state, you have no connections to Pennsylvania and probably know from outside sources that practicing in Pennsylvania is hard, so they might ask themselves if the student is genuinely interested in the school and its mission(s).

Yea, but a lot of schools popping up have given that vibe and then they seem to interview a ton of OOS people. I did my undergrad in PA and dig the area, so I may fill out the app but man....another 100 dollars is killer.

The OOS students that aren't used to rural life more than likely are not going to like the area. There are going to be regional campuses where students are placed. Williamsport is one of those areas, Scranton another, and the third escapes me. The point is, if you don't want to practice in PA or be "recruited" to practice here you probably shouldn't waste your time with this school. You also shouldn't waste your time if you have significant debt that you won't be able to defer because the school isn't fully accredited. The school may be working around this, I'm not sure. I do know from their website that Stafford and Grad Plus funding is out of the picture.

They are saving at least 50 of their 60 seats for PA residents so yes, they do give VERY strong preference to PA residents. Finally, we have a med school in PA that gives preference to its in-state applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the warnings. I had a little trouble with the secondary too.
I'm OOS (SC, OR native) but my brother lives in Williamsport so this school was on my radar. Also I'm not too shy of being a first-year at a new school since I did that all with PA school (2nd class of new program 10 years ago, program still going strong). UG GPA not impressive, 3.2 ish, scGPA around 3.0, MCAT 24S (yeah, I know, it's been 12 years since I took that stuff). But I DO have 8 years as a primary care/rural PA, excellent references and a well-defined personal statement, so what the heck, I'll throw my hat in.
I agree $100 for a secondary is a little steep but it's not as steep as the $175 secondary for PNWU-Yakima (DO) which I have not yet submitted.

Hey, I don't know if u've seen this yet but on their website, they said that they will only be considering applicants with at least a 25 or higher MCAT and a 3.0 or higher GPA.

"Applicants should have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a combined MCAT score of no less than 25 to apply for admission to TCMC."

They are saving at least 50 of their 60 seats for PA residents so yes, they do give VERY strong preference to PA residents. Finally, we have a med school in PA that gives preference to its in-state applicants.

How did you find out that the school is reserving 50 of the 60 seats for PA residents?

Figures, after I pay my $100 secondary fee. We'll see anyway...it's sent. What the heck? can't blame me for trying.

How did you find out that the school is reserving 50 of the 60 seats for PA residents?

Now, that would unfortunately be a definite deterrent to me, as I have significant student loan debt from PA school and I can really only AFFORD to go to med school if I can defer that debt. Bummer.

If I had any other options, I would be scared to be firstgen there

I have worked in an ER for a while and met a resident who told me that it is good to go to a new medical school. Especially if you have a degree in analytical chemistry, physics or biochemistry. If you do, then they will be more likely to accept you and ask you to help teach certain subjects to other students who may not know the subject as you do. From that, the first generation will help develop a foundation for the medical school and will be a part of bringing that medical school up in the ranks. But that is just one perspective and from only one source.

I have worked in an ER for a while and met a resident who told me that it is good to go to a new medical school. Especially if you have a degree in analytical chemistry, physics or biochemistry. If you do, then they will be more likely to accept you and ask you to help teach certain subjects to other students who may not know the subject as you do. From that, the first generation will help develop a foundation for the medical school and will be a part of bringing that medical school up in the ranks. But that is just one perspective and from only one source.
None of these people will know how to relate the material in a necessary clinical sense.

i was able to successfully submit the secondary today! :D

How? It will only let me submit a 157 words rather than 200.

I can write 0 out of 200, lol, anything I right evaporates when I click "next". I e-mailed them

How? It will only let me submit a 157 words rather than 200.

I actually had to attach my essay for question 7 in chucks. I would add the first 40 words and save it, then add another 40 words and save it, and so forth. I also had my essay in paragraph form with numbers before each of the attributes rather than just a simple list. Like someone said earlier, if you have an empty line in your essay, it will only allow you to submit around 150 words. Good luck. :luck:

Me too:mad:, BTW what Browser is everyone using?

Are you copying and pasting, or actually typing it all in?

After reading their mission statement on their website, I'm surprised they would even consider out-of-state applicants...

they probably just want our secondary money... a new school, so i'm sure they could use the extra funds?

I dunno....I think the school may want to keep its options open since they're getting such a late start on the admissions cycle. Lots of other PA people have probably been accepted elsewhere already. It may be tough to convince other Pennsylvanians to start at a new school when they already have an acceptance in the bag at an established school. There are always bugs to work out with a new program--the financial aid bug is certainly not a small one. I heard about the school at dinner with my brother's boss, a dentist in Williamsport last month, so I checked it out and thought, what the heck? I'll apply. My assumption is the secondary app was screened--but perhaps not. I received it less than 5 days after releasing my AMCAS app to the school, so I'm not sure...but I sent it anyway. There are worse things I could do with a hundred bucks.

I dunno....I think the school may want to keep its options open since they're getting such a late start on the admissions cycle. Lots of other PA people have probably been accepted elsewhere already. It may be tough to convince other Pennsylvanians to start at a new school when they already have an acceptance in the bag at an established school. There are always bugs to work out with a new program--the financial aid bug is certainly not a small one. I heard about the school at dinner with my brother's boss, a dentist in Williamsport last month, so I checked it out and thought, what the heck? I'll apply. My assumption is the secondary app was screened--but perhaps not. I received it less than 5 days after releasing my AMCAS app to the school, so I'm not sure...but I sent it anyway. There are worse things I could do with a hundred bucks.
You hit the nail on the head. I got accepted to three established schools in which I'll be able to get the proper financial aid. I live about 45 minutes away from the school and had no intentions of applying.

So...I got the secondary on the 31st but it was delivered to my spam folder...stupid Gmail

So...I got the secondary on the 31st but it was delivered to my spam folder...stupid Gmail
Yeah, just a heads up to anyone else. I couldn't believe that it slipped through like that.:rolleyes:

Medical college sees influx of applications

About 500 applicants already want to be part of the 60-student class at Commonwealth Medical College next fall.

BY SARAH HOFIUS HALL
STAFF WRITER

Published: Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:08 AM EDT
About 500 applicants already want to be part of the 60-student class at Commonwealth Medical College next fall.

Since the college received its preliminary accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education earlier this month, faculty and staff have answered hundreds of calls and e-mails from prospective students. The admissions staff is also busy planning open houses and scheduling visits to graduate fairs across the region.

“It’s been a whirlwind since we first received our accreditation,” said Debra Stalk, the college’s director of admissions. “It’s really, really exciting.”

Prospective students apply for admission through the American Medical College Application Service. After the college received its accreditation Oct. 6, it took 10 days for the service to list the college.

In just one day — without the college telling students they were finally able to submit their applications — 129 people applied, Stalk added.

The college could receive as many as 3,500 applications by the Dec. 15 deadline, she said.

Some of those applications will come from students at the University of Scranton and Marywood University.

“There’s considerable interest, particularly among local students,” said Mary Engel, Ph.D., the University of Scranton’s director of fellowship programs and medical school placement.

Many seniors have already either applied or have prepared applications, Engel said.

At Marywood University, pre-med track students are also interested in applying to Commonwealth, said Deborah Hokien, Ph.D., chair of Marywood’s science department.

Representatives from Commonwealth will be visiting the campus to speak with students soon, Hokien said.

“We are very much looking forward to working with them,” she added.

While the admissions staff at Commonwealth has yet to sort through the first 500 applications, an initial review shows strong candidates, Stalk said.

“I’m really anticipating that we’ll be able to achieve our target goal of finding 70 percent of students from Pennsylvania,” she said. “There seems to be enough strong candidates from Northeast Pennsylvania.”

Interviews are expected to begin the first week of November, and will continue through February or March, Stalk said. Up to 400 students will be interviewed for the 60 medical degree spots.

“We’re looking for very bright and capable students,” she said.

Staff members went to a graduate fair last week at East Stroudsburg University, and open houses are planned at the school’s Scranton location at Lackawanna College, and the regional campuses in Wilkes-Barre and Williamsport.

The college will begin accepting applications for the Master of Biomedical Sciences program Nov. 1, via its Web site, www.thecommonwealthmedical.com.

With community donations, all doctor of medicine students who are accepted for the fall 2009 semester will receive $20,000 scholarships for each of their four years of school. The college’s goal is to eventually be tuition-free.

http://www.citizensvoice.com/articl...1026.a.pg3.cv26cdmedschool_s1.2041832_loc.prt

How so...compare it with another med school - 70K tuition, gov't gives you 40k and private gives you 30k.

In this school you get 20k in private loans

Wow, that is a grand number indeed. But the loan situation may really deter students from matriculating.

How so...compare it with another med school - 70K tuition, gov't gives you 40k and private gives you 30k.

In this school you get 20k in private loans

Undergrad (and graduate) loans will not have deferred repayment, unfortunately.

I was really giving some serious thought to applying here, but then I found out about how they might as well be a public school, as far as my chances as an OOSer go... Oh well, good luck guys, I think it would be awesome being in the inaugural class as a new med school!

I wonder if I should write her an also explain that financial aid is going to be a pain in the patootie.

Couldn't the same be said of the other three new med schools (Florida International University, University of Central Florida, and Texas Tech - El Paso)???

500 applicants! Already!? :scared:

If they get 3,500 applications and take 60, they have an acceptance rate of 1.7%. That's crazy (aka I'll have no chance).

Last edited:
For all those who are wondering, they start interviewing next week. :)

So, I have a little more information about interviews...

They interview every Wednesday and Friday starting next week!!

Status
Not open for further replies.