New Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I submitted my secondary on monday and can no longer sign-in using their website. Anyone else having similar problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't log in either...they said something about having to load the app into the student information system...and they would e-mail us when it happened.

If you click Home on the top of the secondary page...it takes to you the log in for SIS...but I think you'll need a password for that.

I just called the office, and my file is complete and has been passed on to review I guess. They said I should hear shortly.

I just called the office, and my file is complete and has been passed on to review I guess. They said I should hear shortly.

I just called the office too...the 4th time today, couldn't talk with anyone. Can you tell me what number you used?

Just got the "you are being reviewed" E-mail". Hope I get an interview :D

gl everyone

my jefferson interview was 1.25 hours, but it was not planned to be that long. Good luck!

Just got my application is complete e-mail too. I wonder how they judge "soon" for the amount of time before we get any decisions on interviews. Hopefully with only a few hundred applications to review so far it will only be 2-4 weeks instead of 2-4 months like a lot of schools.

How do you send them your LORs or at least tell them which ones to download from virtual evals. Did you all do this already???

:help:

Don't know about virtual evals, but I just entered the address from the secondary e-mail into interfolio to send LORs.

Can people sign in online now? I still cannot
Also for the people that emailed answers in, did you guys ever get confirmation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, still can't sign on. I was one of the ones that e-mailed my answers in, and they sent me an e-mail back last night stating that I was complete and ready for review...woot.

Also, I just shot them an e-mail and told them that my letters had been uploaded to VirtualEvals, so han14tra, you should try that and see if it works. Right after I had sent that e-mail to them, I got the one saying I was complete.

I called yesterday and they said they had everything, still have not received a complete email though :(

I called yesterday and they said they had everything, still have not received a complete email though :(

Got an E-mail saying I was complete and my file shall be sent to be reviewed soon. I used virtual eval...at least I think my adviser did.

OMG, they lost my answers. So they want me to send all the answers in an email and they will upload into the system. Trouble is I didn't save my responses (ugh) so now I have to come up with essay answers again??? ugh. I don't want to have to do that again. Tempted to ask for a refund. :idea:

Can anyone check their application status?

My letters were sent by regular mail weeks ago but I can't log into the system...

An hour after I got the email that my secondary was lost I got another email from another person at the school that my secondary was received and my file was complete pending receipt of my letters. :rolleyes: Not sure which is correct (I emailed back to clarify).
Oh goodness.

Can anyone check their application status?

My letters were sent by regular mail weeks ago but I can't log into the system...

I still can't sign on. I did get a complete email, last night though. I called before and they said they were staying after hours a few days to mark people complete and get the applications ready

I haven't submitted my secondary yet, but by watching this thread I have to say that this is looking like it's approaching an unmitigated disaster. :laugh:

But dang, 500 people already applied? Wonder how many of them are OOS, competing for those precious 10 spots.

Realize too that none of these people responsible for admissions had done this before. The school is new to the process and its going to take them this season to get used to everything.

Realize too that none of these people responsible for admissions had done this before. The school is new to the process and its going to take them this season to get used to everything.

Oh, well, yeah, of course.

If somebody handed me 500+ applications for a med school and said "pick the best to interview" I think I'd be overwhelmed. Then add in all of us crazy kids calling them the check on our status. It would take a while to iron out the wrinkles.

Oh, well, yeah, of course.

If somebody handed me 500+ applications for a med school and said "pick the best to interview" I think I'd be overwhelmed. Then add in all of us crazy kids calling them the check on our status. It would take a while to iron out the wrinkles.
I hope they're getting paid well. I also hope they are not taking pay cuts because this is the school's first year. I pity the admissions staff.

As a TCMC administrator I can assure you we have done this before-- everyone in administration and all the faculty come from established medical schools. The admissions people are trying to fix the tech glitches with AMCAS and we are beginning to interview students this week. We knew this was an aggressive time schedule but believe the school will offer an extaordinary experience & be worth it. We are trying to do something different with medical school while providing a solid medical education. Keep an open mind. We are about to embark on a 10 day, 50 college bus tour of the northeast so students can meet the faculty & get all their questions answered. Get the schedule on our website www.thecommonwealthmedical.com or
http://newmedicalschool.blogspot.com/

tcmc, or anyone else who can answer. do you think you could clarify more about your school. for example, are in-staters heavily favored? what about where you grew up, does that matter? what stats do you consider competitive?

We are looking for the best students, who are the best fit possible. We want students who are interested in service, in a well rounded medical education and interested in the model we have to offer-- a distributive model with years 3 & 4 in a community based setting. We need a mix of students, a diverse student body, so we want both in state and out of state students. I know you would like some more definative information on the "perfect" student but I can't give you a formula. We want a smart student, who is committed to education, who wants to give back to their community and have an impact on the health of the community. MCATs, GPAs and the secondary app are each a part of the process-- as is the interview. It is the right combination of smarts and personality that we are looking for. We also want someone who is going to provide us with feedback on their education and help us refine our educational program. This is not the right choice for everyone but for the right student it will be amazing.

TCMC, I look forward to seeing you at my school on 11/17. Bucknell is a great place, and close to Scranton. So, a lot of us are applying. (Hoping to stay in this area).

Could you answer one question for me? I have a LOR being written by the Executive Director of Emergency Management for the area. He was out of the office last week because of a local emergency. The LOR probably won't be faxed to you until late this week. Am I putting myself at a disadvantage by waiting on this letter? I have other letters, but this is the one that's probably going to be the strongest. I emailed the admissions office, but I got some kind of automated response. So, any informal advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for posting. It's great to see an adcom on SDN.

Last edited:
We are going to be interviewing students for the next several months (until Jan/Feb) so a LOR that comes to us late next week is not a problem--just get it in as soon as you can. Look forward to seeing you at Bucknell!!

TCMC, thanks for your candor. I know this is a very busy time for all involved. It's a bit disheartening to contemplate having to fill out the secondary again (sadly I didn't save my answers in another document and I very thoughtfully filled it out the first time) and as I said above I'm not sure I'll have to (the second email that said my file was complete...???). Still, I don't think the negatives are entirely fairly placed here. New programs have glitches; heck, old programs have glitches (seriously, have any of you guys done Tulane's secondary? ugh.)

Please just bear with us! A year ago we had no accreditation and 6 employees. Now we have PA & LCME accreditation, have endured 2 site visits, hired 40 basic sciences faculty & researchers, 25 staff, 400+ clinical faculty, have education agreements with 7 hospitals, have a great temporary space for the next two years and a beautiful building being built. We will get it all worked out!

I think the fact that you are on SDN speaking with stressed out pre-med students on a Sunday afternoon shows how committed you are to your students. We put A LOT of work into making our applications stand out, and it's nice to see that an adcom is working just as hard to make this process a little more bearable.

I think you're the first medical school to openly admit they surf SDN, and then on top of that to communicate with students. The only communication half of the schools in the country give you is a one sentence rejection letter or a 5 second phone call telling you you're accepted. I commend your efforts.

It's either a phone call, or the ol' silent but deadly approach where if they don't call it means your rejected.

Does anybody know what this is? It's on TCMC's webpage. Sounds intriguing.

"In addition, they will work on a community-based public health project."

They are also doing a "patient project" similar to Penn State's where you visit a patient at their home for a long period of time.

Also, what is the mission of this school anyways? The Commonwealth Medical College would imply it's mission is meeting the needs of physician shortage areas across the state. However, there is a lot of mention of NE PA.

From my understanding, TCMC aims at training and retaining compassionate physicians dedicated to bridging healthcare disparities in Northeast PA. In doing so, their mission is to provide first rated classroom knowlegde and everyday opportunities for students to truly become part of the public effort to serve communities in need from day one as a physicians-to-be. However, having said that, they seek a diverse student body represented by capable and passionate students from across the states.

Personally, I prefer this kind of educational philosophy because at the end of the day, it takes much more than just prescriptions to alleviate patients' sufferings. If students become part of the community, part of its public health service, and part of its people's every day lives, only then we can build that trustworthy relationship and practice good medicine. =D

just my 2 cents!

Does anybody know what this is? It's on TCMC's webpage. Sounds intriguing.

"In addition, they will work on a community-based public health project."

They are also doing a "patient project" similar to Penn State's where you visit a patient at their home for a long period of time.

Also, what is the mission of this school anyways? The Commonwealth Medical College would imply it's mission is meeting the needs of physician shortage areas across the state. However, there is a lot of mention of NE PA.

Last edited:
As a TCMC administrator I can assure you we have done this before-- everyone in administration and all the faculty come from established medical schools. The admissions people are trying to fix the tech glitches with AMCAS and we are beginning to interview students this week. We knew this was an aggressive time schedule but believe the school will offer an extaordinary experience & be worth it. We are trying to do something different with medical school while providing a solid medical education. Keep an open mind. We are about to embark on a 10 day, 50 college bus tour of the northeast so students can meet the faculty & get all their questions answered. Get the schedule on our website www.thecommonwealthmedical.com or
http://newmedicalschool.blogspot.com/

Wow this week?, I wonder if anyone has been contacted yet?

Yeah, I don't know if they are planning on contacting people today or tomorrow for this week's spots. Anybody hear anything yet?

Complete!!! :soexcited:

TCMC, if you are still surfing SDN, could you say more about your criteria for selecting students for an interview? Will you have a cutoff MCAT or GPA? How much weight are you putting on each variable?

Also, did you start handing out interviews yet? Just curious. No one on SDN has posted that they are interviewing tomorrow as planned.

I did have to resubmit my answers (which meant I had to reconstruct my 2 essay questions this morning when I couldn't sleep) but resubmitted at 7 a.m. and got an email that I was complete by 12 noon. THAT is impressive. I will say this, they're trying really hard to make a good impression, and I appreciate that. Now we see what happens next.

Complete!!! :soexcited:

TCMC, if you are still surfing SDN, could you say more about your criteria for selecting students for an interview? Will you have a cutoff MCAT or GPA? How much weight are you putting on each variable?

Also, did you start handing out interviews yet? Just curious. No one on SDN has posted that they are interviewing tomorrow as planned.

The admissions requirements on their website are stated as follows...
"
MD Admissions Requirements

MD Program Admission Requirements

All applicants are required to complete a bachelor’s degree prior to enrollment in the MD Program. Specific required and recommended course work is shown below. Applicants should have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a combined MCAT score of no less than 25 to apply for admission to TCMC.
Suggested Course Work -Applicants to TCMC should take the following courses from an accredited college or university in the United States. On-line coursework will not be accepted for these courses.
General Biology with laboratory
General Inorganic Chemistry with laboratory
Organic Chemistry with laboratory
General Physics with laboratory
Cell Biology, Biochemistry or equivalent
English and English Composition
Mathematics, Calculus or Statistics

TCMC seeks well-rounded applicants with a wide-range of academic interests. All majors are welcome to apply to TCMC as long as minimum academic requirements are met. Non-science majors are encouraged to take as many science courses as possible. Additional math courses (especially statistics for data analysis) is strongly recommended. Additional science courses may include but are not limited to:
Biochemistry
Biostatistics
Computer Science
Developmental Biology
Embryology
Epidemiology
Genetics
Immunology
Microbiology/Virology
Neuroscience
Physiology"

This is pretty much the bulk of the information they have listed on admissions, but you can take a look for yourself at http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/.

Seems as though there is still no word on interviews. I'm hesistant to call as ask since they will inevitably be swamped with such calls and it will probably slow their progress. Looks like it's back to the waiting game. :(

Sorry we are on the TCMC Road Tour bus so connections are not regular. The info on the is correct. We have faculty screening all applications that meet our minimum criteria and plan on interviewing between 300 - 400 students. Interviews start tomorrow, we have them scheduled for Wed & Fridays for the forseeable future. We plan to make it a positive experience for everyone and will try to keep it low key and pleasant.

Sorry we are on the TCMC Road Tour bus so connections are not regular. The info on the web is correct. We have faculty screening all applications that meet our minimum criteria and plan on interviewing between 300 - 400 students. Interviews start tomorrow, we have them scheduled for Wed & Fridays for the forseeable future. We plan to make it a positive experience for everyone and will try to keep it low key and pleasant.

Anyone else going to the open house in Williamsport? I think I am since its only about 25 minutes away. I wish they weren't all on Mondays. I'm on-call for a 30 hour shift for work every Monday:(. Hopefully, I can find someone to cover so that I can go to this!

What's the difference between all the open houses (scranton, wilkes barre, and williamsport)? The building is or is going to be in Scranton right?

yes the Medical Science Building is in Scranton for the first two years, the second two are at a clinical campus-- Williamsport, WB, or Scranton. The idea of the open houses at different sites is to give lots of schools the opportunity to send students.

I received an e-mail about an interview today, with my application labeled complete on Friday. It looks like they are really powering through the admissions process. Keep your spirits up! :rolleyes:

I received an e-mail about an interview today, with my application labeled complete on Friday. It looks like they are really powering through the admissions process. Keep your spirits up! :rolleyes:

Congrats! When are you interviewing?

hahah nice! Congrats! Just curious, are you a resident of pennsylvania? I'm just wondering if they interview pennsylvanians first as oppose to OOS applicants. =)

Congratulations on your interviews!!!! I was complete on Monday, and I'm aching for an interview. Hoping to get one soon so I don't need to get a hotel (parents were both just laid off due to failing economy..so hotel is out of the question:() Do you have an MD apps profile I can look at? I'm curious about what your app looked like.

Status
Not open for further replies.