New Medical School

Started by CarrieBad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received my secondary the morning that I went to the Scranton open house. It was pretty laid back and it really allowed you to get your questions answered. Not all of the areas were on display yet, but they showed us the anatomy lab...pretty nice setup 👍👍👍

Definitely heavy presence of regional students...I saw many 570-'s, etc on the guestbook sheet I was writing on. My 610- seemed a little glaring, but I have family in Pottsville/Tamaqua area and I used to fly my cross-countries between Scranton/Williamsport all the time b/c it was my favorite stops. Whenever I was making my road trips for undergrad in NY I wished that I lived in Scranton instead - it seems like a really nice to live 🙂

Followup question for TCMC: Stadium seating for the classrooms? Any difference between Scranton/WB/Williamsport?

Best of luck to you all...hopefully we can place a name to the face at the interview! :luck::luck:
 
How does community choice work for the 3rd and 4th year? Do you get a preference or is it a lottery? Just something to ponder.
Clinical campuses are rank ordered by each student after they are accepted. Every attempt will be made to match the student with their choice. During orientation we will visit each campus, students will be given information about each campus at the interview and information is available on the web. THere is abundant clincal material at each campus and experinces will be comperable. Students will be connected to their friends and professors thru a tech package, the web and thru the portal grand rounds etc will be available. The library is 95% digital so it will be available anywhere in the world.
 
Only the auditoriums have stadium seating. the rest is flexible. We project that less than 40% of our educational model is lectures -- much is small group, problem based or case based learning. We are looking for a highly interactive learning process with really good student engagement. No one will be sitting being lectured to all day!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
😀 YES!!!! I just on interview!! And, yes people in Bucknell's library are looking at me strangely considering I just jumped up from by chair and running in small circles. I couldn't scream because everyone is doing their work so I probably looked like I was having some sort of meltdown since its a midterm week.

Anyways, a bit weird to be notified on Sunday, but I am so grateful for this opportunity. Ok, now I actually have to go read the email because all I saw was Congratulations and interview. My hands are shaking so bad right now. This is so exciting!! I really want to go to TCMC.

For all you still waiting, here are my stats:

GPA: ~3.7 Science: 3.51 (Strong upward trend due to disadvantaged background. GPA went from 2.91 to 4.0)
MCAT 25 P
PA resident
ECs
- Youngest Emergency Management Director in PA
- Free clinic volunteer for 2 years
- Did 2 competitive internships at Geisinger and Conemaugh Hospital (drove 3 hrs each day to this one for 10 wks).
- EMT/Firefighter
- Grantwriter for volunteer ambulance service at home
- Worked for doctor's office for past 3 years. On-call 24-96 hrs a week.

Good luck everyone!! I was complete on the Monday of their first open house. 😍
 
Congratualtions!! I know you are going to have a great interview day! Hopefully we will see you when we come to Bucknell tomorrow!

😀 YES!!!! I just on interview!! And, yes people in Bucknell's library are looking at me strangely considering I just jumped up from by chair and running in small circles. I couldn't scream because everyone is doing their work so I probably looked like I was having some sort of meltdown since its a midterm week.

Anyways, a bit weird to be notified on Sunday, but I am so grateful for this opportunity. Ok, now I actually have to go read the email because all I saw was Congratulations and interview. My hands are shaking so bad right now. This is so exciting!! I really want to go to TCMC.

For all you still waiting, here are my stats:

GPA: ~3.7 Science: 3.51 (Strong upward trend due to disadvantaged background. GPA went from 2.91 to 4.0)
MCAT 25 P
PA resident
ECs
- Youngest Emergency Management Director in PA
- Free clinic volunteer for 2 years
- Did 2 competitive internships at Geisinger and Conemaugh Hospital (drove 3 hrs each day to this one for 10 wks).
- EMT/Firefighter
- Grantwriter for volunteer ambulance service at home
- Worked for doctor's office for past 3 years. On-call 24-96 hrs a week.

Good luck everyone!! I was complete on the Monday of their first open house. 😍
 
TCMC, can you elaborate on how the College views out of state applicants? Is there a target number of OOS that you are shooting for in the charter class? I saw someone said 10 spots are reserved for OOS in the above posts. If there are roughly 350 interviews handed out does that mean that you will only invite roughly 50-60 OOS student to interview (350/6 = 58.33)?
 
TCMC, can you elaborate on how the College views out of state applicants? Is there a target number of OOS that you are shooting for in the charter class? I saw someone said 10 spots are reserved for OOS in the above posts. If there are roughly 350 interviews handed out does that mean that you will only invite roughly 50-60 OOS student to interview (350/6 = 58.33)?

We do not have any hard and fast "quota". Eventually our goal is 70% from PA but for the first few classes we are going to sit the best class possible. (by best I don't mean highest MCATs or GPA I mean best fit for TCMC) If it works out to 50/50 or whatever we are comfortable with that. There is no "allotment" of spots for OOS.
 
Last edited:
I was wondering if you could post the college's non-discrimination policy for students. I looked on the web site and could only find one for faculty and staff.
 
It's good to see administrators embracing SDN, even if we're a bunch of loons most of the time. I visited TCMC last week and was invited to interview two days later. I was very impressed with the facilities, faculty and staff. Everyone was so genuinely positive about the possibilities associated with opening a new medical school and took time to speak with many of the individuals who came to visit the school.

Best of luck to those filling out secondaries and those with interviews scheduled. I'm sure some of us will be meeting each other shortly.
 
I was wondering if you could post the college's non-discrimination policy for students. I looked on the web site and could only find one for faculty and staff.


Here it is:

Policy on Gender, Racial, Cultural, Economic Diversity
The Commonwealth Medical College is committed to the enrollment of a diverse body of talented students and to strengthening the participation of minorities, women and individuals from all cultural and economic backgrounds. A diversity of experiences and interests is desirable and serves to enhance the education of a physician who will serve the community and greater public.

The Commonwealth Medical College selects persons for admissions and educates, advances and promotes such persons on the basis of individual capability, potential or contribution to the programs and goals of the institution.

The College is also committed to upholding federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or disabilities.
 
I'm so upset. I didn't realize my secondary was sitting in my spam from October 31! I submitted my primary around the time the school was first added on AMCAS and reading posts on this site today made me realize my secondary could be in my spam box. I searched my spam (luckily I didn't clear out my spam in a while) and it's been sitting there almost 3 weeks. Eurgh.... I hope they don't penalize me too much. 🙁
 
I'm so upset. I didn't realize my secondary was sitting in my spam from October 31! I submitted my primary around the time the school was first added on AMCAS and reading posts on this site today made me realize my secondary could be in my spam box. I searched my spam (luckily I didn't clear out my spam in a while) and it's been sitting there almost 3 weeks. Eurgh.... I hope they don't penalize me too much. 🙁

You should be fine. The admissions folks I spoke with were very responsive and from my experience it seemed like they were setting a few records in terms of turn-around time on processing submitted secondaries.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone tell me what the difference between TCMC and FIU is in terms of accreditation?

Thanks!


There is no difference in LCME accreditation. All four new schools-- UCF, El Paso, FIU and TCMC have preliminary accreditation from LCME. The process is that LCME makes several site visits during the charter classes four years of school and just before the class graduates (if all is well) full accreditation is awarded. It is the only way to go thru the process.
 
I'm so upset. I didn't realize my secondary was sitting in my spam from October 31! I submitted my primary around the time the school was first added on AMCAS and reading posts on this site today made me realize my secondary could be in my spam box. I searched my spam (luckily I didn't clear out my spam in a while) and it's been sitting there almost 3 weeks. Eurgh.... I hope they don't penalize me too much. 🙁


We are in NYC with the bus tour and have found others with this same problem. If you don't have your secondary please check your spam folder!
 
Hey TCMC, I saw on the blog that you guys are going to be in the Philadelphia region tomorrow - but it doesn't exactly say where. Where is it going to be? Are the info sessions designed just for college students only? If not, are non-trads welcome to come?
 
Hey TCMC, I saw on the blog that you guys are going to be in the Philadelphia region tomorrow - but it doesn't exactly say where. Where is it going to be? Are the info sessions designed just for college students only? If not, are non-trads welcome to come?


Non-trads absolutely welcome!! We have had a few each day join us. Here is the schedule:

9:00am St. Josephs University
Meeting Rm: Room 415 in Science Center

11:00am University of Sciences
Meeting Rm: Conf Room STC 301

1:00pm Drexel University
Meeting Rm: Law School, Room 140
 
Non-trads absolutely welcome!! We have had a few each day join us. Here is the schedule:

9:00am St. Josephs University
Meeting Rm: Room 415 in Science Center

11:00am University of Sciences
Meeting Rm: Conf Room STC 301

1:00pm Drexel University
Meeting Rm: Law School, Room 140

From reading TCMC founding Dean's blog, the impression that comes through most strongly is his passion about getting to know students as unique individuals.Naturally, the more my friends and I follow the details of the road trip, the more we envy those students who got to talk to faculty members from TCMC face to face!!! :laugh:

I really want to fly back and attend one of these sessions but because of thanksgiving is just around the corner, airtickets are SO expensive..... 😱

TCMC please kindly consider reaching out to those of us studying elsewhere in the states, far from home too~~ 😛

Thank you :luck::luck::luck::luck:



I really wish I could fly back to one of these session in Philly!
 
From reading TCMC founding Dean's blog, the impression that comes through most strongly is his passion about getting to know students as unique individuals.Naturally, the more my friends and I follow the details of the road trip, the more we envy those students who got to talk to faculty members from TCMC face to face!!! :laugh:

I really want to fly back and attend one of these sessions but because of thanksgiving is just around the corner, airtickets are SO expensive..... 😱

TCMC please kindly consider reaching out to those of us studying elsewhere in the states, far from home too~~ 😛

Thank you :luck::luck::luck::luck:


I can't promise that I could arrange this but would it help if we did an open house in Scranton the day after Thanksgiving? We know there would be lots of people home from school. Do you think that would be of any interest????
 
I can't promise that I could arrange this but would it help if we did an open house in Scranton the day after Thanksgiving? We know there would be lots of people home from school. Do you think that would be of any interest????

I'll definitely be there if you can arrange it! I think people are just starting to learn more about the school, so this would be perfect timing for an open house - and that date would work well for a lot of people.
 
Can someone who has interviewed describe their interview experience on School Interview Feedback? There are still no responses for commonwealth medical and I'm interested in seeing how students fair...
 
TCMC, I am an OOS non-traditional applicant and I would definitely come to an open house the day after Thanksgiving. Thank you for the opportunity.
 
I can't promise that I could arrange this but would it help if we did an open house in Scranton the day after Thanksgiving? We know there would be lots of people home from school. Do you think that would be of any interest????

That's wonderful! I will be there even if I have to crawl from Atlanta to Scranton 😱😀 jk

On the serious note, I definitely think it would allow committed students to have a closer look at the school. I look forward to having it scheduled 😍

Thank you very much TCMC! :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received an interview invitation on 11/14, and I'm at UNC with no close ties to PA...for those of you interested in OOS applicants...

I'll be there this Friday!!
 
I meant the secondary application which should have a status section. The fields just go blank every time I try to log in.


Don't worry about it, it hasn't been working for a while. Sure they are working on getting it fixed :laugh:
 
Hey PIPI, I am in the same exact situation as you... i have a 29 Q on the mcat (V8 P10 B11) with english also being my second language... (first language = chinese) ... i saw from your other posts that you got verified around the same time I did, I was wondering if you got your secondary application from drexel yet... because I am still waiting after nearly three weeks... just wondering if you are in the same situation... and keep ur spirits high... i believe with your dedication and commitment, you are bound to get in somewhere! 🙂
 
Hey PIPI, I am in the same exact situation as you... i have a 29 Q on the mcat (V8 P10 B11) with english also being my second language... (first language = chinese) ... i saw from your other posts that you got verified around the same time I did, I was wondering if you got your secondary application from drexel yet... because I am still waiting after nearly three weeks... just wondering if you are in the same situation... and keep ur spirits high... i believe with your dedication and commitment, you are bound to get in somewhere! 🙂

Hihi!!! Thank you for your kind words! :luck: But hey with everything else being equal, your 8 and Q on the VR and WS sections are gazillion times more convincing than my 6 and O 😱😱😱 so I would say that you are in a much better position than I am. :laugh:

Also, I did receive my Drexel secondary 2 weeks after I was verified. I would suggest you giving them a call if you haven't heard from them. Good Luck!

Maybe we can establish some contact through aim or something, it is good to know more people and support one another while going through this gruelsome process :laugh: let me know
 
I can't promise that I could arrange this but would it help if we did an open house in Scranton the day after Thanksgiving? We know there would be lots of people home from school. Do you think that would be of any interest????

It's a 4 hour drive for me, but I'll definitely be there if you have an open house then.
 
I received an interview invitation on 11/14, and I'm at UNC with no close ties to PA...for those of you interested in OOS applicants...

I'll be there this Friday!!

When did your receive your "complete" E-mail from TCMC? I am also OOS and waiting for a chance to interview.
 
Per your request we will do an informal open house Friday morning after Thanksgiving. The Dean, financial affairs and faculty will be there to meet students home for the holiday. Please join us at Lackawanna College-- our temporary site. 9 am - noon
 
Just interviewed there, and I was impressed. Seems like a great school. The faculty was uber-excited and really student oriented. They even started a Basic Science program from scratch (something I didn't see for FIU), with some very respectable researchers (I had a 20 minute chat with a PostDoc from MIT who will being his professorship there). One drawback is that its not fully accredited yet, although we were assured that it will not be a problem. The interview was very conversational, I actually found myself asking as many question to the interviewers as I was asked.

I have multiple interviews, some at really great schools, and I must say TCMC is one of my top choices.
 
Thank you, thank you TCMC! I will be there, coming from Cleveland. Can anyone suggest a place to stay overnight near Lackawanna College?
 
Thank you, thank you TCMC! I will be there, coming from Cleveland. Can anyone suggest a place to stay overnight near Lackawanna College?


The Radisson (walking distance) has a TCMC rate of $79 a night its very close. If its too high we will look around and post what we find. (Other things farther away but may be cheaper)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Radisson (walking distance) has a TCMC rate of $79 a night its very close. If its too high we will look around and post what we find. (Other things farther away but may be cheaper)
Great. $79 is fine. Thanks for the quick response and info.
 
For those of you interviewing tomorrow, allow extra time for travel tonight. I live in NE PA and there is about 4" of snow that is suppose to continue into tomorrow. It's really bad out now because of a snow squall so you may want to wait a few hours until this passes.

VERY HEAVY SNOWFALL AND BLOWING SNOW WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO BELOW ONE QUARTER MILE IN THIS BAND OF HEAVY SNOW.



THIS WILL IMPACT I-80 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 169 AND 199.


USE EXTREME CAUTION IF YOU MUST TRAVEL INTO OR THROUGH THIS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SNOW SQUALL. CONSIDER DELAYING TRAVEL UNTIL THE SQUALL PASSES YOUR LOCATION.

From weather.com
 
For those of you interviewing tomorrow, allow extra time for travel tonight. I live in NE PA and there is about 4" of snow that is suppose to continue into tomorrow. It's really bad out now because of a snow squall so you may want to wait a few hours until this passes.

VERY HEAVY SNOWFALL AND BLOWING SNOW WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO BELOW ONE QUARTER MILE IN THIS BAND OF HEAVY SNOW.



THIS WILL IMPACT I-80 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 169 AND 199.


USE EXTREME CAUTION IF YOU MUST TRAVEL INTO OR THROUGH THIS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SNOW SQUALL. CONSIDER DELAYING TRAVEL UNTIL THE SQUALL PASSES YOUR LOCATION.

From weather.com

plus traffic on N81...
 
Per your request we will do an informal open house Friday morning after Thanksgiving. The Dean, financial affairs and faculty will be there to meet students home for the holiday. Please join us at Lackawanna College-- our temporary site. 9 am - noon

😱😱😱 this is wonderful... YEAH!!! special open house per students' request :laugh:

See you there TCMC!!!! I look forward to having a chance to chat with you and all the great people there!! 😀

For those of you having the interview tomorrow, I wish you ALL E BEST!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.