New Rant Thread: The Government Shutdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureZooVet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thought I'd make this since It's pretty darn frustrating and upending everything! Need to rant!

1. I can't go backpacking where I was supposed to with my friends. Federal land is now off limits and federal trespassing is a $300 fine 😡

2. I and my coworkers can't submit any or get any info for federal grants until further notice.

3. Some of my professors have federally funded or owned offices, so we get to have tutoring and discussions in the hall until further notice or another room opens up.
 
Thought I'd make this since It's pretty darn frustrating and upending everything! Need to rant!

1. I can't go backpacking where I was supposed to with my friends. Federal land is now off limits and federal trespassing is a $300 fine 😡

2. I and my coworkers can't submit any or get any info for federal grants until further notice.

3. Some of my professors have federally funded or owned offices, so we get to have tutoring and discussions in the hall until further notice or another room opens up.

... I'm just over here like "so your not collecting interest on my loans on these days off right?.
 
can anyone summarize whats going on in a very concise and quick format? i'm over here in island land and i have no idea what's going on in the world (just that there are a lot of unhappy people on fb) and while i'd love to go searching around (okay not really), we are in midterms for the next 10 days.

making a rant thread here has me a little extra curious now:shrug:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need to rant!

I was hoping to acquire some animals for a project from a federally-funded program this week, but that's a no-go. I just love it when grown adults act like 5 year old children throwing tantrums in the sand box because they can't agree/get along/come to a consensus. I for one, don't walk out on my job when I don't get my way 😡
 
can anyone summarize whats going on in a very concise and quick format? i'm over here in island land and i have no idea what's going on in the world (just that there are a lot of unhappy people on fb) and while i'd love to go searching around (okay not really), we are in midterms for the next 10 days.

making a rant thread here has me a little extra curious now:shrug:

The government shutdown has occurred in response to a stalemate reached in negotiations over the federal budget- more to the point, it specifically surrounds Obamacare. Democrats and Republicans cannot reach an agreement over how taxpayer dollars should be spent. Specifically, Republicans strongly oppose this money being appropriated to care for the uninsured. Democrats hold the opposing view. This being the case, money isn't being allocated anywhere, and essential government processes aren't being funded. With no money to run the show, offices shut down and procedures slow to a grinding halt. Until the deadlock loosens (and one side gives way, or both reach middle ground), the US is in for one extended period of government inactivity. 🙁
 
can anyone summarize whats going on in a very concise and quick format? i'm over here in island land and i have no idea what's going on in the world (just that there are a lot of unhappy people on fb) and while i'd love to go searching around (okay not really), we are in midterms for the next 10 days.

making a rant thread here has me a little extra curious now:shrug:

Sure. It's really not too complicated.

Congress has a very important job: They have to pass a spending bill to fund governmental programming that has already been agreed upon in the budgeting process. The US government's fiscal year is October 1 to September 30; so they need a new spending bill by October 1 of every year in order to keep paying for all the stuff they already agreed to spend money on.

The House Republicans are insisting that they will only pass a spending bill that does not fund Obamacare.

The Senate Democrats and the President are insisting that they won't vote (or sign) any spending bill that doesn't include funding for it.

Since the House+Senate can't put together a spending bill that they both agree upon and that the President will sign, it's a nice little deadlock. Since the government has no authority to spend money after October 1st, the government has no ability to pay for anything (not exactly true; it has resources to continue to manage critical needs).

The shutdown will end with the House+Senate agree on a spending bill that the President signs.

There ya go. The shutdown in an objective, super-oversimplified nutshell.

Editorializing, the GOP is off its frickin' rocker. Obamacare was passed into law a few YEARS ago. It passed the House. It passed the Senate. It was signed by the President. It was even frickin' reviewed by the Supreme Court for constitutionality. It went through the entire legal process from oral cavity to anus. It's one thing to be a Republican (or whatever) and not like it. That's fine. It's another thing to hold a gun to the political process and refuse to pay for something *that was already agreed upon*. That's terrorism, and in my opinion every last Republican refusing to get on board with this ought to be put in jail. They are beyond political disagreement - they are clear out into "you are unstable and need to be locked away" land.

I get that they hate Obama. Fine. Whatever. Provide a better candidate and beat him next time 'round. If you do I might even vote for him or her. (Ha. Just kidding. Not much chance of that anymore.)

I get that they hate Obamacare. Fine. Whatever. You fought against it and lost in the political process. It's here now. Deal with it. Use the CORRECT political process to try and undo it.

But their behavior now is irresponsible, immature, dangerous, and ought to be criminal. It is TRULY the equivalent of the childish "my way or I throw a tantrum."

I dunno. I don't follow politics like I did back in my newspaper reporting days when I hung with Senators and Representatives and pestered them with predictable questions to get predictable soundbites. A lot of people speculate that really, the GOP is afraid of Obamacare not because they're so positive it won't work, but because they're afraid it might. Dunno if I really buy that; I don't think the GOP is organized enough anymore to manage that level of rational thought. But it's possible. I had dinner with a longtime MN State Senator a few months back (totally random; my wife and I were seated next to him and his wife at a dinner theater and we recognized each other from 'back in the day'). He was a staunch Republican back then. He went on and on about his departure from the Republican side and the almost unbelievable problems with that party now. It was bizarre; he and I used to be on opposite sides of the table, and here we were in complete agreement.

For my money, I think the GOP is going to have to do something spectacular to win back some of the key voters they've lost. I'm not sure what that would be, but it would start with the party jointly saying "We are sorry. We are cleaning house and getting rid of people like Ted Cruz. We want to be legitimate contributors to the political process again." Until they get their heads back on straight, they're going to continue to flounder. The only reason they haven't gone completely under is because the DFL is only marginally better organized. If the DFL were truly a unified party that could work together well, the GOP would be effectively dead by now.

I spent the majority of my life a dual-party voter because I believed in voting for the best person, even if my politics didn't align with them. But for a number of years now I've been a DFL-down-the-line voter because the GOP has gone utterly insane. It's honestly hard for me to imagine what they could do to win back even a single vote from me in a local race, much less a vote in a bigger race.

Ok. Rant over. Sorry. Sore spot.
 
People are missing the biggest part of this stupidity... 800,000 Americans furloughed.... Which means 800,000 people who can't pay bills, which means homes being foreclosed again and potentially another housing market crisis because people can't afford homes.



Still haven't heard from my dad as he works in a VA hospital but if he was furloughed my parents went from having an income to have nothing, all because a bunch of 4 year old adults are throwing a temper tantrum. :xf: he wasn't.
 
People are missing the biggest part of this stupidity... 800,000 Americans furloughed.... Which means 800,000 people who can't pay bills, which means homes being foreclosed again and potentially another housing market crisis because people can't afford homes.



Still haven't heard from my dad as he works in a VA hospital but if he was furloughed my parents went from having an income to have nothing, all because a bunch of 4 year old adults are throwing a temper tantrum. :xf: he wasn't.

To my knowledge, all VA hospitals are running as usual because they get funded a year in advance in case this happens.
 
To my knowledge, all VA hospitals are running as usual because they get funded a year in advance in case this happens.

There are still furloughs in some departments. Depends on your job. They basically told all staff that they would show up Monday despite the shutdown and if they were to be furloughed they would have 40 minutes to get their belongings and leave. Some staff would be asked to still work but without pay and other staff would not be affected at all. My dad had to take his mother to the hospital Monday so he wasn't there and I haven't talked to my parents since Monday, so I am not sure if he was one of the ones furloughed, asked to work without pay, or not affected. I will call later today and find out... just keeping my fingers crossed for now.
 
Sure. It's really not too complicated.

Congress has a very important job: They have to pass a spending bill to fund governmental programming that has already been agreed upon in the budgeting process. The US government's fiscal year is October 1 to September 30; so they need a new spending bill by October 1 of every year in order to keep paying for all the stuff they already agreed to spend money on.

The House Republicans are insisting that they will only pass a spending bill that does not fund Obamacare.

The Senate Democrats and the President are insisting that they won't vote (or sign) any spending bill that doesn't include funding for it.

Since the House+Senate can't put together a spending bill that they both agree upon and that the President will sign, it's a nice little deadlock. Since the government has no authority to spend money after October 1st, the government has no ability to pay for anything (not exactly true; it has resources to continue to manage critical needs).

The shutdown will end with the House+Senate agree on a spending bill that the President signs.

There ya go. The shutdown in an objective, super-oversimplified nutshell.

Editorializing, the GOP is off its frickin' rocker. Obamacare was passed into law a few YEARS ago. It passed the House. It passed the Senate. It was signed by the President. It was even frickin' reviewed by the Supreme Court for constitutionality. It went through the entire legal process from oral cavity to anus. It's one thing to be a Republican (or whatever) and not like it. That's fine. It's another thing to hold a gun to the political process and refuse to pay for something *that was already agreed upon*. That's terrorism, and in my opinion every last Republican refusing to get on board with this ought to be put in jail. They are beyond political disagreement - they are clear out into "you are unstable and need to be locked away" land.

I get that they hate Obama. Fine. Whatever. Provide a better candidate and beat him next time 'round. If you do I might even vote for him or her. (Ha. Just kidding. Not much chance of that anymore.)

I get that they hate Obamacare. Fine. Whatever. You fought against it and lost in the political process. It's here now. Deal with it. Use the CORRECT political process to try and undo it.

But their behavior now is irresponsible, immature, dangerous, and ought to be criminal. It is TRULY the equivalent of the childish "my way or I throw a tantrum."

I dunno. I don't follow politics like I did back in my newspaper reporting days when I hung with Senators and Representatives and pestered them with predictable questions to get predictable soundbites. A lot of people speculate that really, the GOP is afraid of Obamacare not because they're so positive it won't work, but because they're afraid it might. Dunno if I really buy that; I don't think the GOP is organized enough anymore to manage that level of rational thought. But it's possible. I had dinner with a longtime MN State Senator a few months back (totally random; my wife and I were seated next to him and his wife at a dinner theater and we recognized each other from 'back in the day'). He was a staunch Republican back then. He went on and on about his departure from the Republican side and the almost unbelievable problems with that party now. It was bizarre; he and I used to be on opposite sides of the table, and here we were in complete agreement.

For my money, I think the GOP is going to have to do something spectacular to win back some of the key voters they've lost. I'm not sure what that would be, but it would start with the party jointly saying "We are sorry. We are cleaning house and getting rid of people like Ted Cruz. We want to be legitimate contributors to the political process again." Until they get their heads back on straight, they're going to continue to flounder. The only reason they haven't gone completely under is because the DFL is only marginally better organized. If the DFL were truly a unified party that could work together well, the GOP would be effectively dead by now.

I spent the majority of my life a dual-party voter because I believed in voting for the best person, even if my politics didn't align with them. But for a number of years now I've been a DFL-down-the-line voter because the GOP has gone utterly insane. It's honestly hard for me to imagine what they could do to win back even a single vote from me in a local race, much less a vote in a bigger race.

Ok. Rant over. Sorry. Sore spot.

The funniest thing about Obamacare/Affordable Care Act is that it is nearly verbatim of Romneycare with a few extra bits changed around/tossed in, otherwise, it is the exact same law/bill, just on a national level instead of a state level.

The GOP is just mad because it was passed without bipartisan support... which I say... too damn bad, provide better candidates next time...

[YOUTUBE]9Bl32n6-JXc[/YOUTUBE]
 
Last edited:
There are still furloughs in some departments. Depends on your job. They basically told all staff that they would show up Monday despite the shutdown and if they were to be furloughed they would have 40 minutes to get their belongings and leave. Some staff would be asked to still work but without pay and other staff would not be affected at all. My dad had to take his mother to the hospital Monday so he wasn't there and I haven't talked to my parents since Monday, so I am not sure if he was one of the ones furloughed, asked to work without pay, or not affected. I will call later today and find out... just keeping my fingers crossed for now.

Yeah. I hope so too for your dad.

The situation sucks a lot...but previous shutdowns have happened, and life goes on. Hell Clinton's was what? 28 days? And we didn't go into a market crisis---lost a ton of money, but not a crisis. I think it'll be ok...as long as the GOP pull their heads out of their asses and maybe Cruz gets sent to some faraway land.
 
The funniest thing about Obamacare/Affordable Care Act is that it is nearly verbatim of Romneycare with a few extra bits changed around/tossed in, otherwise, it is the exact same law/bill, just on a national level instead of a state level.

The GOP is just mad because it was passed without bipartisan support... which I say... too damn bad, provide better candidates next time...

Did you see the video where Jimmy Kimmel asks people if they prefer the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare?

Surrounded by idiots. :bang:
 
I find this all so absurd. Both of my parents were furloughed and have no money coming in, which is unnecessarily stressful for them, and makes me feel guilty since they just shelled out a bunch of money to pay for my apps. Granted, my parents aren't too bad off at the moment, especially as they no longer have to pay tuition for me this year, but I'm sure there are people out there who were living nearly paycheck to paycheck that are probably screwed. I really hope this doesn't last too much longer. :/

Also as just another minor irritant, I was trying to go find the email of someone I had interned under at the USDA that I needed to get in touch with, and discovered they'd shut down all of the government websites as well..
 
Yeah. I hope so too for your dad.

The situation sucks a lot...but previous shutdowns have happened, and life goes on. Hell Clinton's was what? 28 days? And we didn't go into a market crisis---lost a ton of money, but not a crisis. I think it'll be ok...as long as the GOP pull their heads out of their asses and maybe Cruz gets sent to some faraway land.

We were also in a stronger economy in Clinton's day. The worry is that because we are still clawing our way out of the recession, this may be enough to send us back
 
I had to try explaining this whole situation to some Canadian classmates yesterday. Sucks because there's really no way to portray it without America looking like a bunch of bumbling, immature idiots. 😡

It really pisses me off that, through all of this, the same idiots who created this shutdown are still getting their six-figure salaries without a glitch. 800,000 American citizens have lost their paychecks not because of the quality of their work, not because they did anything wrong, but because a bunch of rich lazy a**hats threw a temper tantrum. You shouldn't be able take away the livelihood of 800,000 people with zero repercussions. That's just disgusting.

Everyone from janitors to postal workers to top-notch researchers is stuck sitting on their hands right now. Last time the government shut down it lasted 21 days. Can you imagine three weeks without a paycheck? That is way, way too long for many people. I bet this process would go a lot faster if our government leaders weren't getting their paychecks. As it is, there's not much incentive for them to hurry things along. They clearly don't care that thousands of people are being hurt by their BS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We were also in a stronger economy in Clinton's day. The worry is that because we are still clawing our way out of the recession, this may be enough to send us back

Maybe...just not ready to go into panic mode yet.
 
Maybe...just not ready to go into panic mode yet.

My parents were just barely able to get the house out of foreclosure, they are still recovering from that. They had an income back then. Most Americans are still recovering from that. I'm not panicked yet as I don't know anything for sure, but it is a very real possibility and it is very scary when you have been there before. Suddenly being told you have zero income is panic inducing. There aren't enough other jobs for these 800,000 people and waiting for the government to get its act together isn't an option for many of them.
 
I had to try explaining this whole situation to some Canadian classmates yesterday. Sucks because there's really no way to portray it without America looking like a bunch of bumbling, immature idiots. 😡

It really pisses me off that, through all of this, the same idiots who created this shutdown are still getting their six-figure salaries without a glitch. 800,000 American citizens have lost their paychecks not because of the quality of their work, not because they did anything wrong, but because a bunch of rich lazy a**hats threw a temper tantrum. You shouldn't be able take away the livelihood of 800,000 people with zero repercussions. That's just disgusting.

Everyone from janitors to postal workers to top-notch researchers is stuck sitting on their hands right now. Last time the government shut down it lasted 21 days. Can you imagine three weeks without a paycheck? That is way, way too long for many people. I bet this process would go a lot faster if our government leaders weren't getting their paychecks. As it is, there's not much incentive for them to hurry things along. They clearly don't care that thousands of people are being hurt by their BS.

The constitution doesn't allow for congress to go unpaid so all the politicians asking to have their paychecks withheld are full of crap, because that is illegal. And those talking about donating their income, so what, it will just be a tax write off for them. Really all of their incomes should be put into one big pool to be given to the 800,000 people who no longer can work.
 
My parents were just barely able to get the house out of foreclosure, they are still recovering from that. They had an income back then. Most Americans are still recovering from that. I'm not panicked yet as I don't know anything for sure, but it is a very real possibility and it is very scary when you have been there before. Suddenly being told you have zero income is panic inducing. There aren't enough other jobs for these 800,000 people and waiting for the government to get its act together isn't an option for many of them.

You do realize I am not disagreeing with you, right?
I was simply saying that as of now, I don't think we need to panic about a market crisis. That's all.

Obviously, I know it is scary for people who can't work right now and be paid...I know many of those people myself...
 
IMO, both sides of the table are in the wrong: The GOP is throwing a tantrum, but the Dems set themselves up for it. They all play games while we're the ones who suffer.
 
Did you see the video where Jimmy Kimmel asks people if they prefer the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare?

Surrounded by idiots. :bang:


I did see this, absolutely ridiculous.


You do realize I am not disagreeing with you, right?
I was simply saying that as of now, I don't think we need to panic about a market crisis. That's all.

Obviously, I know it is scary for people who can't work right now and be paid...I know many of those people myself...


I know you aren't disagreeing. I'm just saying it is a very real possibility and one that we maybe don't need to panic over right now but it is something to be aware of.
 
IMO, both sides of the table are in the wrong: The GOP is throwing a tantrum, but the Dems set themselves up for it. They all play games while we're the ones who suffer.

I'm curious as to how the Dems set themselves up for it. I agree both sides are not behaving well, but not sure why it is thought the Dems set themselves up for this.
 
Did you see the video where Jimmy Kimmel asks people if they prefer the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare?

Surrounded by idiots. :bang:

I can sort of understand this. The media refers to it almost exclusively as Obamacare. I don't think I've heard it called the Affordable Care Act at all in the last year. I'm not condoning the utter ignorance of these people, but considering how many people rarely look past the media headlines, I can see where this is coming from.
 
I can sort of understand this. The media refers to it almost exclusively as Obamacare. I don't think I've heard it called the Affordable Care Act at all in the last year. I'm not condoning the utter ignorance of these people, but considering how many people rarely look past the media headlines, I can see where this is coming from.

I guess so....but the only reason they said they didn't like Obamacare is because they hate Obama. I also dislike the uninformed trying to make arguments...read past the headlines, and then maybe I will listen.
 
I'm curious as to how the Dems set themselves up for it. I agree both sides are not behaving well, but not sure why it is thought the Dems set themselves up for this.

From the beginning, I did not appreciate/like how the Act was presented, handled, mandated, passed, etc. Do I want healthcare? Damn skippy, I do! I haven't had insurance in over 3 years! BUT, this was a clusterf*** from the get-go. I called this fiasco in 2009.
 
From the beginning, I did not appreciate/like how the Act was presented, handled, mandated, passed, etc. Do I want healthcare? Damn skippy, I do! I haven't had insurance in over 3 years! BUT, this was a clusterf*** from the get-go. I called this fiasco in 2009.

I agree, it wasn't handled right, but that happens all the damn time in Congress, most bills aren't handled well. The GOP don't get to throw a temper tantrum because they didn't get their way back then, maybe they should have had better candidates so that they could have properly debated the law then. This isn't the time or place to do so and the bill was passed in the same way every other bill that has come out of Congress was passed. They followed the same process that every other bill prior has followed; it passed the House, the Senate and was even taken to the Supreme Court and deemed Constitutional.. they have done everything by the book.

I really wonder what kind of healthcare reform Romney/the Republicans would have come up with had they won. I can guarantee that it would have been very similar to if not exactly like Romneycare; which is the same thing as Obamacare/ACA, since it was drafted from Romneycare.
 
I agree, it wasn't handled right, but that happens all the damn time in Congress, most bills aren't handled well. The GOP don't get to throw a temper tantrum because they didn't get their way back then, maybe they should have had better candidates so that they could have properly debated the law then. This isn't the time or place to do so and the bill was passed in the same way every other bill that has come out of Congress was passed. They followed the same process that every other bill prior has followed; it passed the House, the Senate and was even taken to the Supreme Court and deemed Constitutional.. they have done everything by the book.

I really wonder what kind of healthcare reform Romney/the Republicans would have come up with had they won. I can guarantee that it would have been very similar to if not exactly like Romneycare; which is the same thing as Obamacare/ACA, since it was drafted from Romneycare.

Agreed. I also think they're (the GOP) also kicking themselves for putting out such a poor candidate in 2012. And they're ALL making us look like complete idiots.
 
Last edited:
From the beginning, I did not appreciate/like how the Act was presented, handled, mandated, passed, etc. Do I want healthcare? Damn skippy, I do! I haven't had insurance in over 3 years! BUT, this was a clusterf*** from the get-go. I called this fiasco in 2009.

That's a great point .... to bring up when the ACA is under consideration for passage.

But it's passed. By the Senate. By the House. Signed by the President. Reviewed by the Supreme Court.

This an absolutely inappropriate time to make a stand on funding it. That is not the Democrats fault, no matter how poorly they 'presented' it (I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but I'll just accept that you think it was 'presented' poorly because it doesn't really matter .... the point is that it's ALREADY LAW.).
 
I guess so....but the only reason they said they didn't like Obamacare is because they hate Obama. I also dislike the uninformed trying to make arguments...read past the headlines, and then maybe I will listen.

I would bet a lot of them voted for Obama (or didn't vote)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious as to how the Dems set themselves up for it. I agree both sides are not behaving well, but not sure why it is thought the Dems set themselves up for this.

Obama swore up and down that it was not a tax. Then it got challenged. Then he argued to the Supreme Court that among other things it was constitutional as a tax. That's the only reason the Supreme Court held it up. No one seems to care about that though.

The Democrats passed it unilaterally without support from the other ALMOST half of Congress. They then lost ground because of it and created a majority of Republicans in the house that could allow this to happen. Knowing this could happen, they refused to vote to change the law, even though repealing it came up for vote 40 times. Democrats are basically just as much to blame for this, but ACTING like it was the Republicans fault (and doing a wonderful job at that, Obama is handling this beautifully).
 
Obama swore up and down that it was not a tax. Then it got challenged. Then he argued to the Supreme Court that among other things it was constitutional as a tax. That's the only reason the Supreme Court held it up. No one seems to care about that though.

The Democrats passed it unilaterally without support from the other ALMOST half of Congress. They then lost ground because of it and created a majority of Republicans in the house that could allow this to happen. Knowing this could happen, they refused to vote to change the law, even though repealing it came up for vote 40 times. Democrats are basically just as much to blame for this, but ACTING like it was the Republicans fault (and doing a wonderful job at that, Obama is handling this beautifully).

I am not sure what you mean by unilaterally (it was passed in both the House, the Senate and deemed Constitutional), but I think you are implying bipartisan support, which in that case: (By the way, there is nothing in the Constitution or in any law saying that you have to have bipartisan support to pass a bill, so the Republicans need to get over it).

HAVE BETTER CANDIDATES and that won't happen. The Republicans failed, they lost, they didn't have good, decent candidates and LOST; it does not give them a right to throw a temper tantrum and shut down the government and force 800,000 people out of their jobs. Also, if they want changes to the law to happen, then they need to do that in a proper, non-childish way.... which means WRITING A BILL that will make amendments to the law... there is nothing at all that the GOP can say that will make the way that they are acting or what they have done appropriate. NOTHING. I don't care if the Dems did it unilaterally (without bipartisan support, as I can't think of anything else this could mean); that isn't their fault, they won the elections. Also people seem to ignore the fact that if it had been the Republicans that had won this and put in their healthcare bill that it would be the SAME LAW.
 
Last edited:
Obama swore up and down that it was not a tax. Then it got challenged. Then he argued to the Supreme Court that among other things it was constitutional as a tax. That's the only reason the Supreme Court held it up. No one seems to care about that though.

The Democrats passed it unilaterally without support from the other ALMOST half of Congress. They then lost ground because of it and created a majority of Republicans in the house that could allow this to happen. Knowing this could happen, they refused to vote to change the law, even though repealing it came up for vote 40 times. Democrats are basically just as much to blame for this, but ACTING like it was the Republicans fault (and doing a wonderful job at that, Obama is handling this beautifully).

Once again, totally missing the point.

That's all great history. I don't know that it's 100% accurate, but let's just say it is.

So what? The bill is passed. It's law. Right now is the time to pass a funding bill, not to try and get one particular item defunded because a group of people are throwing a tantrum because they lost out in the normal political process. What's next? Blocking the doors so opponents can't get in to vote? There is a process for passing laws. It's been followed. What the Republicans are doing now is virtually the equivalent of terrorism.

Can you *IMAGINE* what Republicans would say if one of their pet governmental programs were under attack by Dems who were holding up funding of the government in a similar manner?

This whole thing is a joke, and every single Republican in office right now needs to be escorted to the ocean and shoved in and all of their assets divided up and given to the hundreds of thousands of people currently without an income because of the GOP's political tantrum.
 
Obama swore up and down that it was not a tax. Then it got challenged. Then he argued to the Supreme Court that among other things it was constitutional as a tax. That's the only reason the Supreme Court held it up. No one seems to care about that though.

And if you are implying that the Supreme Court just took Obama's word for things, well then, the problem lies within the Supreme Court. They deemed it Constitutional, which means they should have legitimately taken the time to look it over and evaluate it. If they didn't, that still isn't the Democrats faults, or Obama's.
 
Looking at the "bright side": The pound to dollar conversion has gone from 1.5 to 1.62, making it so that if I need to transfer money to my US bank account, I won't have to transfer as much over to get the same amount of US dollars as I did before... 😀
 
As sucky as this is now, I don't think its what we really need to be worrying about.....If congress can't even agree to keep the government running, what is it going to be like in 14(ish) days when it comes time to raise the debt ceiling......if the wakadoodle Tea Party sympathizers (which, I always recommend people google Koch brothers and Tea Party together, its amazing what you find) DONT raise the debt ceiling and we get in a scenario where our government has enough money to A) pay our interest owed to China, or B) send out social security checks, THEN things REALLY get bad.....

My mother is a federal employee, and while we would be okay without a paycheck or two, many wouldn't (and they will get their paychecks when this is all over for the time this has been going on). This is a major issue. But if the debt ceiling ALSO isn't raised, and the USA begins to default on its loans....well, we know what the consequences are if we, as students, default on our student loans....what do you think they will be if one of the most powerful nations in the world defaults on theirs?

That was slightly OT, sorry, but related!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As sucky as this is now, I don't think its what we really need to be worrying about.....If congress can't even agree to keep the government running, what is it going to be like in 14(ish) days when it comes time to raise the debt ceiling......if the wakadoodle Tea Party sympathizers (which, I always recommend people google Koch brothers and Tea Party together, its amazing what you find) DONT raise the debt ceiling and we get in a scenario where our government has enough money to A) pay our interest owed to China, or B) send out social security checks, THEN things REALLY get bad.....

Interesting thinking. I'm sorta inclined to lean toward thinking that the Republican party will come to realize how much they are shooting themselves in the foot so that they won't want to try and do it again so soon, but ..... you could well be right. Obviously, debt-ceiling brinkmanship would be (or at least, could be) far more damaging then the current shutdown.... So I hope you're wrong. 🙂 🙂

That said, here's the set-up: "House Speaker John Boehner has always said that the United States will not default on its debt," the aide said. "He also always says that there aren't votes in the House to pass a 'clean' debt limit bill. That's why we need a bill with cuts and reforms."

So maybe you're right. 🙂
 
Last edited:
New plan:

Round up about 1,000 military personnel and give them all guns. Have them barricade every member of Congress and the President into one room. Place ONE port-a-potty in the room (no door, they don't deserve privacy) for them to use. Not a single person leaves that room until a decision is made. No talking to family, no TV, no cellphones, no radio, nothing.

It would never happen, but I still think it would be funny. I bet the vast majority of them wouldn't be able to handle it for long.
 
To my knowledge, all VA hospitals are running as usual because they get funded a year in advance in case this happens.

My MIL works for a VA hospital and was furloughed. We have a pretty substantial hospital here and a significant number of employees have been furloughed until further notice. Essentially the hospital is operating on a skeleton crew. My MIL was told she would be back-paid once the furlough ends :shrug: