New Rant Thread: The Government Shutdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mother is a federal employee, and while we would be okay without a paycheck or two, many wouldn't (and they will get their paychecks when this is all over for the time this has been going on). This is a major issue. But if the debt ceiling ALSO isn't raised, and the USA begins to default on its loans....well, we know what the consequences are if we, as students, default on our student loans....what do you think they will be if one of the most powerful nations in the world defaults on theirs?

Actually, the bolded part is not necessarily true. The government is giving no guarantees that those furloughed will receive back pay when things start up again. It's quite possible (and wouldn't surprise me in the least, given the circumstances) that those 800,000 people will never receive the paychecks they're currently losing.


Should we turn this into a Hunger Games like scenario as well?

Yes, please!!
 
But the dems would start bitching about the guns....

I'm sorry about your mom's job.

Oh my god, though, can you IMAGINE the Republican outrage if the roles were reversed and the Dems were refusing to sign a reasonable spending bill unless the military dollars were cut by a fourth?? It'd be through the roof. That's part of what makes this all so ridiculous - the GOP would never tolerate their own behavior if the Dems tried to pull this stunt.

The GOP needs to be euthanized.
 
As an active duty military vet, my day-to-day work hasn't been affected very much yet. That's not true for all of us, though. I have several friends also on active duty who were supposed to be going on overseas missions this month which have now been canceled or delayed indefinitely. A lot of the family support services on my base are also closed down or operating at low levels.

All the reserve and national guard vets have had their monthly training canceled. Then of course there are many USDA, CDC, EPA, and other federal veterinarians who are furloughed without work and pay.

Fortunately most of them aren't in such desperate financial straights that a week or two will have a huge impact on them personally, but the more important thing is that their work simply isn't getting done.

As long as there isn't a big outbreak of some sort we'll probably make it through just fine...
 
I know somebody mentioned 800,000 furloughed peeps in this thread. I read in an NPR article the number is more like 2,000,000. I don't know how accurate that info is, but ... wow.

All because a handful of people are having a tantrum because they didn't get their way in a completely legitimate process.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All the reserve and national guard vets have had their monthly training canceled. Then of course there are many USDA, CDC, EPA, and other federal veterinarians who are furloughed without work and pay.

Fortunately most of them aren't in such desperate financial straights that a week or two will have a huge impact on them personally, but the more important thing is that their work simply isn't getting done.

As long as there isn't a big outbreak of some sort we'll probably make it through just fine...

That's pretty scary :/
 
The wildlife refugee center I've been volunteering for is also shut down.. 🙁 don't know what they're doing but they're not allowing us to come this weekend. I hope they have enough staff willing to work while the govt takes their sweet, precious time coming to an agreement 😡

I've been biting my tongue on this issue with so many people, and can't stop looking at this thread. :boom:
 
Don't worry, we don't think that about all Americans.

....not all the time, anyways. :meanie:
Actually, I've learned more about American politics the last year on SDN than I did spending 4 yrs in MN.

:xf: for you guys that this is sorted out right away. I can't even imagine. 🙁
 
New plan:

Round up about 1,000 military personnel and give them all guns. Have them barricade every member of Congress and the President into one room. Place ONE port-a-potty in the room (no door, they don't deserve privacy) for them to use. Not a single person leaves that room until a decision is made. No talking to family, no TV, no cellphones, no radio, nothing.

It would never happen, but I still think it would be funny. I bet the vast majority of them wouldn't be able to handle it for long.

DVMD, you didn't take it far enough. I like the set-up, but to really take it to the next level, we need to turn it into a reality tv show with strategically placed cameras.
Best idea I have seen!
 
The Hunger Games scenario is brilliant.

Better yet, take away their health insurance and send them away from the ring with injuries.
 
The Hunger Games scenario is brilliant.

Better yet, take away their health insurance and send them away from the ring with injuries.

Have them live paycheck to paycheck, literally. I'm lucky to make a couple grand in a month... That's roughly their hourly rate, of course approximated and assumed. I'm lucky I'm not a government employee, I would be straight up f*cked and I hope for a quick resolution for everyone who is struggling right now.
 
I am always amazed how much "public servants" on capital hill make. Makes me want to be a public servant in the land of limestone.