New York COM, Jonesboro Campus (NYIT-COM, Jonesboro) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today! wow.... congratulations to everyone who got accepted

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today as well!!! So excited!! Anyone know when white coat or classes started last year?

2016-2017 Information
Class of 2020 (1st year)
Orientation Wednesday, August 3 – Friday, August 5, 2016
First Day of Class Monday, August 8, 2016
Last year white coat ceremony was on 8/6/2016 i am not sure about this year white coat ceremony. If you find out let me know..

Reactions: 1 user
Is it just me, or have II's been few and far between at this campus so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an II this morning. Is it worth it at this point to try? Also, how long was the process. I have a very tight work schedule so I'm trying to coordinate plane reservations and possibly other reservations if necessary.

I just got an II this morning. Is it worth it at this point to try? Also, how long was the process. I have a very tight work schedule so I'm trying to coordinate plane reservations and possibly other reservations if necessary.
I would say it's worth it. This school seems to move a tad bit slower than the others I have dealt with. So, I am not surprised they are still sending out II's.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

II today here! might be a silly question but when we applied to NYIT, did we automatically apply to both the NY and Arkansas campuses? and then they decide which one we get the interview invite to?

II today here! might be a silly question but when we applied to NYIT, did we automatically apply to both the NY and Arkansas campuses? and then they decide which one we get the interview invite to?

You had the option to rank preference but essentially, yes, they decided which to place you with.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey Waitlist hopefuls, I just withdrew my acceptance this past Thursday so one of you should hear good news soon.
If not I know your pain I was waitlisted here last year and never got the call. However keep up the hope, I improved my app and was accepted to my #1 pick this cycle. Keep working hard and looking forward.

Does anyone recall if NYIT is establishing residencies in Jonesboro? I recall that they are establishing rotations in a few areas, I just can't recall info about residencies.

Does anyone recall if NYIT is establishing residencies in Jonesboro? I recall that they are establishing rotations in a few areas, I just can't recall info about residencies.

There is a new internal medicine residency at St. Bernard's Medical Center. UAMS has a family practice residency here. I'm not sure of any others, but there could be more. I know St. Bernards is interested in establishing more.

There is a new internal medicine residency at St. Bernard's Medical Center. UAMS has a family practice residency here. I'm not sure of any others, but there could be more. I know St. Bernards is interested in establishing more.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my letter in the mail today! Do y'all know what all must be submitted to have our spot officially reserved? e.g. accepting any scholarship offers, immunizations records, the many documents included in the packet.

Got my letter in the mail today! Do y'all know what all must be submitted to have our spot officially reserved? e.g. accepting any scholarship offers, immunizations records, the many documents included in the packet.

The deposit alone will reserve your spot.

I just got an II yesterday. Does anyone know if this will be an interview for a waitlist at this point?

Who knows, and good luck finding out. I interviewed months ago and never heard another word from them.

Few questions for any current students or others who might be able to answer, and yes I know I am getting very over-excited here but I'm bored at work currently so oh well.

Do they give us a supplies list at any point? I'm assuming I'll need items such as stethoscope, etc. but wondering if there are any specifics I should know before I go ahead and buy one.

Am I correct that the dress code is business casual? What about for lab, do you just switch into scrubs for that?

Are there any bad areas of town to try and avoid for housing? A few of the options I'm seeing online seem a little run down and sketchy. I know about the on-campus housing that will be available next year, but other than that are there popular apartment/townhomes that students live at? Does the housing fill up quickly and you have to sign the lease early for places like Wolf Creek? I come from a school where you had to have your lease signed by October the year before if you wanted decent housing..

Last edited:
Does this school have a digital anatomy lab, regular anatomy lab, or both?

Few questions for any current students or others who might be able to answer, and yes I know I am getting very over-excited here but I'm bored at work currently so oh well.

Do they give us a supplies list at any point? I'm assuming I'll need items such as stethoscope, etc. but wondering if there are any specifics I should know before I go ahead and buy one.

Am I correct that the dress code is business casual? What about for lab, do you just switch into scrubs for that?

Are there any bad areas of town to try and avoid for housing? A few of the options I'm seeing online seem a little run down and sketchy. I know about the on-campus housing that will be available next year, but other than that are there popular apartment/townhomes that students live at? Does the housing fill up quickly and you have to sign the lease early for places like Wolf Creek? I come from a school where you had to have your lease signed by October the year before if you wanted decent housing..

They will provide you with a list of necessary equipment sometime around the summer. Don't buy anything until you get the list because they also provide you with links for discounts on your gear. Don't worry about buying the fanciest things either. You won't honestly use most of the equipment other than the stethoscope outside of classes.

Dress code is business casual but they do allow students to wear NYIT approved scrubs with the school's logo on it. There are locker rooms available in Wilson hall as well as in the actual anatomy lab to change into your scrubs for anatomy. I never wore my anatomy scrubs outside of the lab. They even have a shower available in the locker room if needed. For other labs such as OMM, you wear gym attire.

Housing is readily available throughout Jonesboro and overall traffic isn't much of a factor when getting around town (max of 30 minutes to get from one side to the other in "rush hour"). I would generally avoid areas around Johnson street. I can't comment on apartments in particular though as I personally stay in a house.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions.

Reactions: 2 users
They will provide you with a list of necessary equipment sometime around the summer. Don't buy anything until you get the list because they also provide you with links for discounts on your gear. Don't worry about buying the fanciest things either. You won't honestly use most of the equipment other than the stethoscope outside of classes.

Dress code is business casual but they do allow students to wear NYIT approved scrubs with the school's logo on it. There are locker rooms available in Wilson hall as well as in the actual anatomy lab to change into your scrubs for anatomy. I never wore my anatomy scrubs outside of the lab. They even have a shower available in the locker room if needed. For other labs such as OMM, you wear gym attire.

Housing is readily available throughout Jonesboro and overall traffic isn't much of a factor when getting around town (max of 30 minutes to get from one side to the other in "rush hour"). I would generally avoid areas around Johnson street. I can't comment on apartments in particular though as I personally stay in a house.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions.
Hi do you know if they have housing on campus or we have to live off campus. when we will get information about housing from school. Thank you

Hi do you know if they have housing on campus or we have to live off campus. when we will get information about housing from school. Thank you

They are currently building student apartments on campus.

Hey all! For some reason I never noticed this thread, so I have been on the NYIT main thread haha.

Basics:
Interviewed 11/10, OOS
Accepted 11/17 by email. Received snail mail a few days later.
Got update for background check registration this week, they give 10 days to order.
Waiting on housing decisions to open up for us.

Looking forward to it! People seem great, campus is BEAUTIFUL, and housing options are looking to be as good as they come - and improving!

Last edited:
Thank you so much! You live in Jonesboro right? do you recommend any off campus apartments close to NYIT jonesboro. Thank you

One good thing about Jonesboro is you're never really more than ten minutes from campus. It's been almost ten years since I was in the market for apartments, but I don't think things have changed a lot. Willow Creek apartments are very near my house and I've never had any trouble in this area. They are fairly new and seem really nice. I'll put a better list together and post it tomorrow. If you have any other questions about this area, feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hmmm. I just received this email........

Dear Kovalchuk71,

Thank you for your continued interest in the entering class of 2017 at NYITCOM. We are currently in the final stages of rolling admissions and your application is still under active consideration.

During our Supplemental Application review we noted that your campus preference is Old Westbury, New York. We are finalizing our class in Old Westbury and would like to extend you an offer to be considered for our campus in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Please take a moment to let the admissions office know whether or not you would like to be considered at Jonesboro. Please respond to this email offer within 72 hours at [email protected].

Thank you in advance for your prompt response. We wish you the very best in your professional pursuit of a medical education and look forward to hearing back from you.

Did anyone else?

Dear Kovalchuk71,

Thank you for your continued interest in the entering class of 2017 at NYITCOM. We are currently in the final stages of rolling admissions and your application is still under active consideration.

During our Supplemental Application review we noted that your campus preference is Old Westbury, New York. We are finalizing our class in Old Westbury and would like to extend you an offer to be considered for our campus in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Please take a moment to let the admissions office know whether or not you would like to be considered at Jonesboro. Please respond to this email offer within 72 hours at [email protected].

Thank you in advance for your prompt response. We wish you the very best in your professional pursuit of a medical education and look forward to hearing back from you.

Did anyone else?
I just received an invitation to interview on February 2nd. Does anyone clue on the types of ethical questions they ask... also did they ask anything in regards to research, biographic info, and work?

Dear Kovalchuk71,

Did anyone else?
I got the same email. Maybe its them telling you they want to interview you but your secondary didn't specify you wanted to be included in the newer campus? I honestly forgot I applied to these. I could never remember if I added this campus on my secondary or not.

I got the same email as well. Does this mean that we are getting an interview for the Arkansas campus?

I got the same email. Maybe its them telling you they want to interview you but your secondary didn't specify you wanted to be included in the newer campus? I honestly forgot I applied to these. I could never remember if I added this campus on my secondary or not.
Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case.

For accepted peeps/current students: Did they mention anything about having the opportunity to match in NY?

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case.

For accepted peeps/current students: Did they mention anything about having the opportunity to match in NY?

Im not responding to the email but that would be cool if that were the case for those that want to have more options/ want to interview here :)!

We were we supposed to get a complete email from here? I just got a "secondary received" email when I submitted.

just got the email about being considered for arkansas campus. does anyone have links or know where i can find info on their residency placements or where rotations occur? the website keeps taking me in a circle or back to new york :arghh:

are rotations done in new york for the arkansas campus?

just got the email about being considered for arkansas campus. does anyone have links or know where i can find info on their residency placements or where rotations occur? the website keeps taking me in a circle or back to new york :arghh:
Their inaugural class hasn't matched yet, so you won't find anything regarding match placement.

Hey guys! Current first year. We don't know a whole lot about third/fourth year rotations yet, but I do know they have some locations lined up in Arkansas as well as a few in some surrounding states (delta region of the US), with the intent (last time I heard anything) that only around half of our class will be able to stay in Jonesboro for years 3/4. Arkansas students will do rotations in the delta region, since a huge motivation for this school to be created was to bring physicians into the underserved delta. It would kind of defeat the purpose if they had students do 2 years in Arkansas then sent them to NY to do clinical years. All of this information was told to us a while ago, so some of it could have changed. If you have more in depth questions, I'm sure the school can direct you who to contact for more information.

Where you go to medical school does not necessarily determine where you will match into residency. I imagine if you would like to be in NY for residency, you should apply for residencies in NY. As we are a branch campus, the goal is for our match statistics to equal the ones you will see for the NY campus. We are getting the same education, and we will get the same test preparation for COMLEX as the students on the NY campus. Also, the completion of the merger for the single GME Accreditation System will be in 2020. It is currently ongoing, and that should have an increasingly positive impact on students in Osteopathic programs matching as some programs become more accessible.

I hope this was helpful.

Hey guys! Current first year. We don't know a whole lot about third/fourth year rotations yet, but I do know they have some locations lined up in Arkansas as well as a few in some surrounding states (delta region of the US), with the intent (last time I heard anything) that only around half of our class will be able to stay in Jonesboro for years 3/4. Arkansas students will do rotations in the delta region, since a huge motivation for this school to be created was to bring physicians into the underserved delta. It would kind of defeat the purpose if they had students do 2 years in Arkansas then sent them to NY to do clinical years. All of this information was told to us a while ago, so some of it could have changed. If you have more in depth questions, I'm sure the school can direct you who to contact for more information.

Where you go to medical school does not necessarily determine where you will match into residency. I imagine if you would like to be in NY for residency, you should apply for residencies in NY. As we are a branch campus, the goal is for our match statistics to equal the ones you will see for the NY campus. We are getting the same education, and we will get the same test preparation for COMLEX as the students on the NY campus. Also, the completion of the merger for the single GME Accreditation System will be in 2020. It is currently ongoing, and that should have an increasingly positive impact on students in Osteopathic programs matching as some programs become more accessible.

I hope this was helpful.
Thanks for the info, @Kaitinfay! I got that same email today so am now looking into the Jonesboro campus and area. Only concern so far, just read that it's a dry county!

Thanks for the info, @Kaitinfay! I got that same email today so am now looking into the Jonesboro campus and area. Only concern so far, just read that it's a dry county!

That seems to be the first thing people notice! Really not an issue. You can drive 15-20 minutes in pretty much any direction and find a store out of the county!

That seems to be the first thing people notice! Really not an issue. You can drive 15-20 minutes in pretty much any direction and find a store out of the county!

I figured, it was just interesting that the internet threw that out there first. I've always been interested in the south, so this school intrigues me.

Just to be clear and I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but are any basic science classes taught in person or are they all on video from the Westchester campus? I got an II here and am really considering not going bc I don't feel all that comfortable with that method of learning.

Just to be clear and I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but are any basic science classes taught in person or are they all on video from the Westchester campus? I got an II here and am really considering not going bc I don't feel all that comfortable with that method of learning.

There are basic science courses taught in person. I was interviewed by one of the instructors. Also, some of our lectures are also streamed to the old westbury campus as some of the faculty moved from there to here. Really and truly if this is an issue for you, maybe this school is not the best option. NYITCOM is still an institute of technology so they will always be looking for ways to incorporate technology into the curriculum. Beating a dead horse you are...

On another note, hopefully 01/09 interviews starting hearing news in the coming weeks. Enjoyed my interview group.

Accepted!

Interviewed 1/12
Accepted 1/19

Wooo!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!!!
Interviewed 1/12
1st interview as well as 1st acceptance, thanks for taking a chance on me NYIT.

Accepted!! Interviewed 1/09.
3.74GPA 507 MCAT.