New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! IS, Interview 9/21. Lizzy M 66.
Clearly took far over 8 weeks. I politely called twice for updates, and after my second call got an answer two days later.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Clearly took far over 8 weeks. I politely called twice for updates, and after my second call got an answer two days later.
Congrats to everyone! @littlefry , when did you hear?

Chances with: 3.5 cgpa, 3.45 sgpa, and 500 MCAT. IS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of people who interviewed in March and were accepted in June of the matriculated year. I'm sure if you go in with a good attitude, things will work out in your favor :)

How is it going for you? Any answer back yet I know you been waiting for a while like I was!

How is it going for you? Any answer back yet I know you been waiting for a while like I was!
Hey! I called today and they said still under review and they sincerely apologize for the wait. Fingers crossed! Have you heard back?

ARCOM, BCOM, and LUCOM. I have been complete here for 5 weeks, so my hopes are down. We'll see what happens.
Don't be too worried as long as you get accepted to one... Your going to be a doctor!!! Don't get your hopes down, NYIT is still inviting people so you have time!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't be too worried as long as you get accepted to one... Your going to be a doctor!!! Don't get your hopes down, NYIT is still inviting people so you have time!

Thanks, dude. Good luck to you in your future!

ahhh! congratulations!! you're giving me hope now! :)

Hey! I called today and they said still under review and they sincerely apologize for the wait. Fingers crossed! Have you heard back?

Yea I was accepted earlier this month. Excited to everyone next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday via email! Interviewed 9/28 - way past the 8 week deadline so don't lose hope. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 4 users
I know this is very late but I'm submitting the secondary now and wasn't sure if I should put each recommender separately if I have a committee letter? Should I leave the other spots blank as it is all including in the committee packet?

I know this is very late but I'm submitting the secondary now and wasn't sure if I should put each recommender separately if I have a committee letter? Should I leave the other spots blank as it is all including in the committee packet?
Committee letter fulfills the requirements.

Hi all, long time lurker. I complete submitted back in mid-October and still haven't heard a word. Is this normal?

Submitted today, too, wonder if it was even worth it. Guess we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys! Im currently a first year at NYIT-COM. Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the school or application process (PM or through this thread). I would be glad to help y'all out

Hey guys! Im currently a first year at NYIT-COM. Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the school or application process (PM or through this thread). I would be glad to help y'all out
hey! Thanks for reaching out. I still haven't heard back from NYIT, interviewed end of September. When I called, they said that I was still under review. Is this normal? I feel like I hear mixed things about hearing back and I'm starting to get nervous!

I interviewed early september and heard back mid November. They said 4-6 weeks, but obviously took longer. I remember last year people didnt hear back until 10-12 weeks after their interview date as well (some even heard back later). I know its easy for me to say now, but just be patient.

Also, a lot of people asked previously, but I've never sent a letter of intent or called asking about my application.

hey! Thanks for reaching out. I still haven't heard back from NYIT, interviewed end of September. When I called, they said that I was still under review. Is this normal? I feel like I hear mixed things about hearing back and I'm starting to get nervous!

Is it true that failing two classes you get kicked out of nyit?

Last edited:
Can anyone at the Arkansas campus comment on the location of the clinical rotations? Are you able to do these in one of the East coast area? Thanks!

Failing two classes means you must repeat that year. If you fail one class only then you go through remediation over the summer. Remember though that failing 2 classes would be a decent percent of the actual school year that you failed. I'd be concerned with being able to pass my boards if I failed 2 classes.

I'll ask about rotations when I get back to school after Christmas break. (I'm an Arkansas student)

according to the student handbook, thats true:

"If a student earns an unsatisfactory final grade in a second course or clerkship in the same academic year, the student will receive a grade of Failure (F) in that course or clerkship. In this case, the original Unsatisfactory (U) grade from the first course or clerkship will be changed to a grade of Failure (F). The student will be placed on an Academic Suspension status to allow the student the time to petition for reinstatement to repeat the current curriculum as a member of the following year‘s class. In addition, if a student is unsuccessful in remediating a course or clerkship, the Unsatisfactory (U) will change to a grade of Failure (F), and the student will be placed on an Academic Suspension status to allow the student the time to petition for reinstatement to repeat the current curriculum as a member of the following year‘s class. The student will be notified of the Academic Suspension (in writing) in an email and letter from the Dean. Effective the date of the suspension letter, the student is no longer permitted to attend classes or clerkships, laboratories, examinations or other college related activities. A student has the right to petition to repeat a year only once during their academic program."

http://www.nyit.edu/files/policies/NYITCOM_StudentHandbook.pdf

but honestly, dont even think about that because its really hard to fail a thread/course (not saying it doesnt happen. But I wouldnt go in with the mindset of failing being an option) . The way NYIT-COM splits up their "classes" (at least in the first semester) is by having 3 "threads" - OMM, Basic Sciences, and DPR (clinical practice). Each thread has a certain percentage of how much each exam is worth. For example, in the Basic sciences thread, the anatomy practical is worth 30%, comprehensive exam is worth 40% etc.

In order to pass, you need to pass ALL three threads with a 70% or higher. The school is P/F with honors being awarded to the top 10% of the class.

Is it true that failing two classes you get kicked out of nyit?

Is it worth emailing admissions and inquiring about ones application status? I've read yes and no. I have a lot of connections to NY/NJ (I was born there, and all of my relatives live there), and one of my parents actually graduated from NYIT-Manhattan with an engineering degree.

Are they responsive to emails?

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly, i dont think its worth it unless you want to double check if your application is complete. AACOMAS made an error in my GPA calculation, and NYITCOM didnt have the most updated AACOMAS application. So I called them to make sure everything was up to date and complete.

Is it worth emailing admissions and inquiring about ones application status? I've read yes and no. I have a lot of connections to NY/NJ (I was born there, and all of my relatives live there), and one of my parents actually graduated from NYIT-Manhattan with an engineering degree.

Are they responsive to emails?

Anyone pay their deposit yet? I don't have any charges/E-Bills on my NYITConnect. Do we just blindly make a payment of $1500?

Anyone pay their deposit yet? I don't have any charges/E-Bills on my NYITConnect. Do we just blindly make a payment of $1500?

Yes, this is what i did.

Once they received my payment and the initial acceptance paperwork they emailed me welcoming me to the program.

IS. Completed on mid July 3.84 GPA and over 600hr+ volunteer/shadow, 3+ years of research. Do I stand a chance with these stats?

Last edited:
IS. Completed on mid July 3.84 GPA 3.77 sci GPA but low MCAT of 495 and over 600hr+ volunteer/shadow, 3+ years of research. Do I stand a chance with these stats?

I think that MCAT is pretty low. Your stats otherwise are great. I believe you'd need atleast a 500+ to have a favorable chance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No. Have great ec's. I took online courses so that maybe why
I took a couple of online courses to, I don't really think they mind that! You should still have hope NYIT is obnoxiously slow with everything.

I took a couple of online courses to, I don't really think they mind that! You should still have hope NYIT is obnoxiously slow with everything.
They are also extremely in state biased. I don't think the online classes have to do with it.

Wishing everyone a happy holiday!

I'm still anxiously awaiting a response, but I know a lot of people are in the same boat. Good luck to us!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys. Chances for an II? cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.6, MCAT: 499. In state.

You're very late and under 500. I wouldn't get your hopes up. You could give it a shot though depending on your LORs and ECs.

You'd have a much better chance if you apply early for the following cycle.

You're very late and under 500. I wouldn't get your hopes up. You could give it a shot though depending on your LORs and ECs.

You'd have a much better chance if you apply early for the following cycle.

I already applied. Complete at the end of November.

Thats still pretty late when youre competing w people who applied in like june and have much better mcats. Im not saying like i know its impossible for you to get in just dont be surprised if you'll have to try again. Their MCAT average is 504 as far as i know

Thats still pretty late when youre competing w people who applied in like june and have much better mcats. Im not saying like i know its impossible for you to get in just dont be surprised if you'll have to try again. Their MCAT average is 504 as far as i know

Okay. I won't expect anything. Hopefully I will have luck at the other schools I applied to

according to last year's thread, most of the people who interviewed before the holidays and didn't hear back until new years got waitlisted...really REALLY hoping that isn't the case :/

according to last year's thread, most of the people who interviewed before the holidays and didn't hear back until new years got waitlisted...really REALLY hoping that isn't the case :/

I hope that's not true. Anyone in the 11/11 groups hear back?

Would I sill have a shot at getting into this school if I send in my primary application to this school by mid-January?

probably no shot unless you have insane stats.

Okay. I won't expect anything. Hopefully I will have luck at the other schools I applied to
Last cycle I was complete in mid-november and got an interview invite a week later. I don't think you would be at much of a disadvantage!

Reactions: 2 users