New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II for December 6 NY Campus. For those that have interviewed how did you get to the New York campus from the airport? I heard driving in New York is terrible. Did anyone use public transportation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II for December 6 NY Campus. For those that have interviewed how did you get to the New York campus from the airport? I heard driving in New York is terrible. Did anyone use public transportation?

Congrats on that II? May I ask when you were complete and for your stats?

The drive in Manhattan is a pain, but it is absolutely fine on Long Island (where the campus is). There is no public transportation to campus!

If you're not from NY, getting to this campus is going to suck. Traveling in the city is easy through bus and subway, but perhaps have a cab service if you're staying at a hotel? That's probably going to be your best bet. Does anyone know if Uber is legal in NYC/Long Island?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on that II? May I ask when you were complete and for your stats?

The drive in Manhattan is a pain, but it is absolutely fine on Long Island (where the campus is). There is no public transportation to campus!
Sure no prob both science and cumulative GPA are from the 3.2-3.3 range with science GPA being higher. MCAT as 508. OOS. Strong LORs.

Yeah I know I was wondering if I could catch a subway/train from airport to the hotel/airbnb and from there to campus that is reliable.

If you're not from NY, getting to this campus is going to suck. Traveling in the city is easy through bus and subway, but perhaps have a cab service if you're staying at a hotel? That's probably going to be your best bet. Does anyone know if Uber is legal in NYC/Long Island?

Thanks for the info!

Sure no prob both science and cumulative GPA are from the 3.2-3.3 range with science GPA being higher. MCAT as 508. OOS. Strong LORs.

Yeah I know I was wondering if I could catch a subway/train from airport to the hotel/airbnb and from there to campus that is reliable.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for sharing! If your hotel/Airbnb is in one of the five boroughs (except Staten Island), MTA is doable from the airport. Going to the school, you definitely need a car. Uber is reliable both in NYC and on Long Island, just pricey.

There are hotels in the general area (westbury, east meadow, levittown), you can just get an uber from hotel to NYCOM. I'd suggest staying on the island instead of one the boroughs, traffic in the morning is a b****.

There are hotels in the general area (westbury, east meadow, levittown), you can just get an uber from hotel to NYCOM. I'd suggest staying on the island instead of one the boroughs, traffic in the morning is a b****.

lol it aint fun going east or west even if you live on the island :cool: from my home to workplace, I get there in 5 minutes without traffic. But everyday in the morning and when I get off work, it takes me 30min to get to where I need to be :mad:

For anyone that has interviewed in a morning session what time were you guys done? Trying to get back to work on the Upper East Side for the afternoon.

II! Complete sometime late July

Reactions: 1 users
II offers at PCOM, KCU, MSU, CCOM and some MDs later in cycle. Frustrated that I get no in state D.O. love. Worth checking in?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that has interviewed in a morning session what time were you guys done? Trying to get back to work on the Upper East Side for the afternoon.

We were out at 1 pm when the afternoon interviews started

II to NY campus today. December 2nd.

Reactions: 3 users
For people that interviewed early September did any of you get any notice of acceptance or jrejection?

lol it aint fun going east or west even if you live on the island :cool: from my home to workplace, I get there in 5 minutes without traffic. But everyday in the morning and when I get off work, it takes me 30min to get to where I need to be :mad:

mmmhmmmm i totally understand. Commuting to LIU from port washington is only 15 mins but with traffic it turns to 45 :bang:

For people that interviewed early September did any of you get any notice of acceptance or jrejection?
I interviewed around this time at the Arkansas campus and still silence. Wish they would let us know! It's been over a month lol

Still haven't heard anything and it has been a month since I turned in my secondary

Got II yesterday and will interview on Dec 6th

I interviewed around this time at the Arkansas campus and still silence. Wish they would let us know! It's been over a month lol
Yeah I remember the New York campus people saying 6 to 8 weeks and I think this is week 7 lol

Hey guys, I just got an II from the Arkansas campus, I was wondering for anyone who has interviewed there, if you have any advice, or any info you can give me, I would really appreciate it. Please DM me. Thank you very much

Looking at the thread from last year, it took longer than 8 weeks for some people to hear back... hopefully they are quicker this year, but if early interview people don't hear back in the next week don't be too surprised

Does anyone know if I can call and change preference from NY campus to Arkansas campus?

Does this school give preference to NY residents for the NY campus?

They told my group that we wouldn't hear back until sometime in November. No decisions are going out before then.

For those who interviewed, I understand it is a 1 on 1 laid back interview, but how much emphasis was put on "why osteopathic medicine?" Or did they simply focus on "why medicine?"

I don't want to give off the impression that I'm applying to MD schools and using them as a backup because I am genuinely interested in attending.

For those who interviewed, I understand it is a 1 on 1 laid back interview, but how much emphasis was put on "why osteopathic medicine?" Or did they simply focus on "why medicine?"

I don't want to give off the impression that I'm applying to MD schools and using them as a backup because I am genuinely interested in attending.
I would highly recommend knowing why you'd be interested in osteopathic medicine before any interview at a D.O. school, as well as being able to state what you feel the differences are between the two pathways.

I would highly recommend knowing why you'd be interested in osteopathic medicine before any interview at a D.O. school, as well as being able to state what you feel the differences are between the two pathways.

Well yes it's important to know the "why DO" question, and I have many reasons for why I am interested. However, some DO schools have a very dedicated portion of time to this question. Some do not make that distinction and ask the "why medicine" question in general. Just trying to get a feel of the interview :rolleyes:

Well yes it's important to know the "why DO" question, and I have many reasons for why I am interested. However, some DO schools have a very dedicated portion of time to this question. Some do not make that distinction and ask the "why medicine" question in general. Just trying to get a feel of the interview :rolleyes:

They asked me to explain osteopathic medicine as if I was talking to someone who hasn't heard of it, but I had no "why medicine" or "why DO" question. Also, I was interviewed by an MD so be careful about your answers and discussion of DO medicine based on your interviewer

They asked me to explain osteopathic medicine as if I was talking to someone who hasn't heard of it, but I had no "why medicine" or "why DO" question. Also, I was interviewed by an MD so be careful about your answers and discussion of DO medicine based on your interviewer

ooooo they threw you a bit of a curve ball didn't they o_O sneaky....

Is there a way to check the status of your application online?

NYIT has ignored me more in the 4 months since I submitted my secondary application than all the hot girls from my high school combined.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a way to check the status of your application online?

NYIT has ignored me more in the 4 months since I submitted my secondary application than all the hot girls from my high school combined.

NYITCOM doesn't text back!

Last edited:
Is the tuition at this school high? Also, how is the price of living considering it's a school in manhattan?

Is the tuition at this school high? Also, how is the price of living considering it's a school in manhattan?

I think you're thinking of Touro, NYIT is on Long Island...although still very expensive! It's also on the higher end of school costs, around $63,000 I believe.

Cancelled my interview. Happier with ROWAN, hopefully it goes to one of you guys waiting. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users

I think I was in the same interview session as you. I haven't receive the acceptance or rejection mail yet. We are on week 7 so it should be coming soon.

I think I was in the same interview session as you. I haven't receive the acceptance or rejection mail yet. We are on week 7 so it should be coming soon.
Yup so next week would def make sense. The waiting game is horrible lol

Does anyone know when it is a good time to call them and ask them about application status? I emailed them once and they told me that they can't check specific application status for me but that I should just wait. Submitted on 9/22

Hi all, just received my secondary. I have letter of rec from at least three faculty members, but my DO letter hasn't arrived yet, should I submit it now or not?

Hi all, just received my secondary. I have letter of rec from at least three faculty members, but my DO letter hasn't arrived yet, should I submit it now or not?
I would just submit it now and they will just look at your DO letter whenever it arrives. As long as you include your DO's name and info in your secondary, you should be good! I had a similar issue where my DO did not even write his letter for about two weeks after I submitted my application. I then called admissions and they said since the DO letter is not required, it will not hold back my application process.

Was anyone else met with a rude response when they called admissions? Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive but when I called to make sure they received my new MCAT score, the person told me that if anything was missing they would contact me and then just hung up. I mean I know nothing is missing and just because they have a MCAT score for me doesn't mean its my most recent one which I improved oh. Any suggestions?

I got an II without my DO letter in, not having it will not hold you back!

complete silence since submitting my secondary almost 3 months ago. oos.

Hey guys! Current first year!

If you want to use public transportation to get to NYCOM, you can use take the LIRR. There is a shuttle that goes from campus to the station. (I would look a little more into that.) I've taken the N20 bus from Flushing (Queens) to the school, but that trip is a little long. (~1 hour) Housing is pricey in LI.

Average rent goes from 800 to 900 a month if you share. If you want a studio, that's about 1200. After my first semester, I'm looking into work study. The school offers jobs at the library and some jobs in hospitals over the summer. (Second option is a great way to get more clinical experience and pay.)

In the short time I've been a student here I've noticed that the school is understaffed. Administration may seem rude but that's because they had so much to get done...and they have to put up with some not so nice people themselves.

They also took a long time to get back to me on my application. When I applied, I submitted everything by July. Had my interview late September. Didn't hear about my acceptance till December. Just make sure you have everything submitted (transcripts, payment, scores, etc) and if you send an email, be polite. Greet, ask nicely if they can update you, and provide a number in case they want to contact you through that.

Best of luck guys! I've met so many amazing people over the last 3 months and I'm loving what I learn. You'll enjoy it too.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys! Just got an II today, sched. for Jan. 13. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for this interview? I heard it's pretty laid back but I'm stressed because my interview is so late in the cycle, I really wanna nail it!

(my stats in case anyone is curious: Complete 8/4, MCAT=514, cGPA=3.6, sGPA 3.5, LM=69, OOS- Maryland)