This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tralala.wannabedoc.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would seriously like some advice.

I have a relatively good GPA, science GPA included. It by no way will hinder my chances in getting into medical school. My extracurriculars are great. What is hindering me is my MCAT score. I took it three times. I go a 24 on the old test and a 497 on the new one. I seriously revamped my studying to master this exam and took it a third time. I only got a 500, and I truly thought I got everything right on the test. It was like my test results were not mine. So if need be, I will retake the exam, but I have no confidence that I will do well.

I applied to several MD and DO schools, but I have no idea if I will get into any of the schools I applied to. But I want to be a doctor regardless, so I want to know what to do next if I do not get an acceptance letter.

Should I go for a post bacc program? Or a masters? What do I do from here?

I would appreciate any and all advice.

-Utterly lost

Members don't see this ad.

How did you study for the MCAT? Did you switch anything up in terms of strategies and methods or did you stick with what you did previously?

I switched it up. I already had the material mastered from the first two times I took the test. I just took practice test after practice test for the third time I took the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Switching it up is always a good idea if one method doesn't work. I think if you're consistently scoring around 24-25(500ish on the new exam), then there might be some gaps in your knowledge base. Which subjects did you do best in and which ones were the worst?

I think if your GPA is solid you don't need a masters/post-bacc. Really what's holding you back is your MCAT. How are your ECs? I would focus on really trying to nail the MCAT the fourth time if you want to go MD. I'm not sure about DO but I do think if you apply early and widely, you might get in somewhere. But I'm no expert.

If you are getting no higher than the average, you cannot say you have mastered the material.

A 500 is not a death wish, so don't lose all hope. And what is your gpa?

If you don't get in this cycle, I would subscribe to a MCAT review such as Kaplan or something. You absolutely need to do well if you take it again and you are not doing well enough at this point

You MCAT history is lethal for MD schools, except maybe your state school if you can get to a 510.
Are you ESL?

Have test taking anxiety issues? If so, this can be fixed.

There are some DO schools for which you're still competitive (not mine, alas),

But poor MCAT performance is a risk for failing out of med school and or failing boards.

I can't recommend a retake unless you're scoring very well (510+) on diagnostics. Plan B might be in order, career-wise.

Hi everyone,

I would seriously like some advice.

I have a relatively good GPA, science GPA included. It by no way will hinder my chances in getting into medical school. My extracurriculars are great. What is hindering me is my MCAT score. I took it three times. I go a 24 on the old test and a 497 on the new one. I seriously revamped my studying to master this exam and took it a third time. I only got a 500, and I truly thought I got everything right on the test. It was like my test results were not mine. So if need be, I will retake the exam, but I have no confidence that I will do well.

I applied to several MD and DO schools, but I have no idea if I will get into any of the schools I applied to. But I want to be a doctor regardless, so I want to know what to do next if I do not get an acceptance letter.

Should I go for a post bacc program? Or a masters? What do I do from here?

I would appreciate any and all advice.

-Utterly lost

Good GPA + Good EC's + DO LoR + 500 MCAT + Apply early/broadly = DO ACCEPTANCE