Non-Traditional Student Advice - Prerequisites ...What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zidanechamp10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

26 year old nontraditional student here. Graduated from a 4 year university back in 2013 with a double major in Economics and International Business. After graduating I played professional soccer for a couple years. Unfortunately that got cut short due to injuries. I now own my own business, a restaurant, and am doing well. Over the last year, especially due to my soccer related injuries, I've really developed an interest for the health care world and medicine. After taking Anatomy & Phys 1 this past fall semester, medicine specifically is something I'm interested in. Due to running my own business during the day I'm only able to take the pre-requisites in the evening at a community college. Is this okay? Can ALL my science pre-reqs be takin at a CC and still manage to get interviews to med schools?

My overall gpa is a 3.4. With all A's in the pre-reqs I should be able to get it up to a 3.5/3.6. I'm hoping with a solid MCAT score, volunteer/shadowing hours, and LORs along with the A's in science pre reqs at CC I should be in good shape to apply right? What are my chances?

Please let me know what you guys think. I'd love to get some insight and guidance. Any advice you may have would be great!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.