Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every school has its own problems, it doesn't matter if you go to Harvard or NSU. You just make the best out of your time in the medical school you're at. NSU-COM is a well established DO school. My interview day (last October), was organized, but I waited ~8weeks myself before being accepted. I think it's because they were replacing an admission counselor, so this application cycle seemed disorganized. I don't expect these problems to continue.

Every medical student will have at least something negative to say about their school whether it be the curriculum, facilities, rotation sites, disorganization of staff, etc...you name it! But if you do your research and find that the students have more positive things to say about their school than negative, it's a good thing!

But don't let this past cycle at NSU-COM deter you from applying. It really is amazing school, with solid rotation sites, and a beautiful campus in a great metropolitan area. The match list for this year was also solid. If you're thinking of applying to NSU, then go for it! The worst thing that can happen is you get rejected or ignored. In that case, have a plan B, and life goes on. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
T

it is a farce to say the least. They first of all had the missing interview invite fiasco a few months ago, peoples files got completely deleted even though they were scheduled for an interview and showed up (happened to 2 people at my interview day alone), excessively long time to give interview decisions ( I'm currently at 10 weeks waiting), long time to respond to emails, on interview day they were extremely disorganized, didn't know who was going to be giving the welcome talk had to ask random faculty to step in. Overall a fiasco on Nova's administration, and from what I hear it doesn't get any better for those who are current students

Admissions has been a nightmare for you all this year and that sucks. However, once you're in administration is great. They have a close working relationship with our student government and have been really responsive all year long.

Every school has its own problems, it doesn't matter if you go to Harvard or NSU. You just make the best out of your time in the medical school you're at. NSU-COM is a well established DO school. My interview day (last October), was organized, but I waited ~8weeks myself before being accepted. I think it's because they were replacing an admission counselor, so this application cycle seemed disorganized. I don't expect these problems to continue.

Every medical student will have at least something negative to say about their school whether it be the curriculum, facilities, rotation sites, disorganization of staff, etc...you name it! But if you do your research and find that the students have more positive things to say about their school than negative, it's a good thing!

But don't let this past cycle at NSU-COM deter you from applying. It really is amazing school, with solid rotation sites, and a beautiful campus in a great metropolitan area. The match list for this year was also solid. If you're thinking of applying to NSU, then go for it! The worst thing that can happen is you get rejected or ignored. In that case, have a plan B, and life goes on. :)
I'm not going to be attending nova anyways even if I do get accepted, would've loved to though. Michigan State required our first semester payment a few weeks ago and I start there in 2 weeks :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to be attending nova anyways even if I do get accepted, would've loved to though. Michigan State required our first semester payment a few weeks ago and I start there in 2 weeks :/
Michigan State is a great school as well. Best of luck to you in the future.

I think NSU's disorganized admission process was just a hiccup in this cycle. They replaced the head of admission counselor so things were not smooth. Once you get past the admission process, you are handed over to a different group of administrative people who are very prompt and responsive to your inquiries. You can call them to ask questions very easily. It's been fine as an accepted student for me so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Michigan State is a great school as well. Best of luck to you in the future.

I think NSU's disorganized admission process was just a hiccup in this cycle. They replaced the head of admission counselor so things were not smooth. Once you get past the admission process, you are handed over to a different group of administrative people who are very prompt and responsive to your inquiries. You can call them to ask questions very easily. It's been fine as an accepted student for me so far.

ugh I wish Nova started in June... I'm so bored doing nothing all summer.

ugh I wish Nova started in June... I'm so bored doing nothing all summer.

I'm so bored too. I just picked up a few financial books to read to kill time.

Cherish your freedom while you can, guys. Now is a good time to do "that one thing you always wanted to do but never had time for". You guys still have two full months before school starts! Pick up a new hobby, get in shape, go on vacation with family/friends, learn how to cook, get a scuba license, whatever. Free time doesn't come around very often once school starts. It's also nice to have something interesting to talk about with future classmates.

This! I was beyond disappointed to be put on the alternate list after interviewing during the first batch, if for nothing else (beyond the academics, people, facilities, etc) than just how beautiful the area is. The school I'm going to only has one squat rack in the gym... Nova's gym was awesome!

Cherish your freedom while you can, guys. Now is a good time to do "that one thing you always wanted to do but never had time for". You guys still have two full months before school starts! Pick up a new hobby, get in shape, go on vacation with family/friends, learn how to cook, get a scuba license, whatever. Free time doesn't come around very often once school starts. It's also nice to have something interesting to talk about with future classmates.
Amen to that. I need more time to spend with friends I won't see much after July. It already doesn't feel like I have enough time to do what I want to do before school starts.

Why do people like NSU so much and do people tend to stay if accepted?

Is it that they don't get accepted elsewhere and so they take what they get or is NSU really that amazing of a school that people choose NSU over other schools?

I was told by Linda Ferris today that there has been no waitlist movement yet. Good luck everyone!

Is it that they don't get accepted elsewhere and so they take what they get or is NSU really that amazing of a school that people choose NSU over other schools?

In south Florida by Miami. That's a big reason.

1. beautiful campus + weather
2. 22min south of Boca Raton, 30min north of Miami
3. solid rotation sites & match lists

the only thing that's scary is that they grade you on a number system from 70-100. 70 obviously being a Pass.
Most med schools have a "pass" "honors" "high honors" type of grading or simply "P/F"...but NSUCOM actually has numbers.

Great school associated with an undergrad... Nicest campus among of all medical schools I visited (MD/DO)... Good rotation sites in South FL... Nice weather for the most part... Good match. Top 5 DO school IMO.

Just curious, how much did you guys write for the section "List and briefly describe your significant health care-related volunteer activities"? Did you copy and paste what you wrote from primary or cut it down to one or few sentence? Thanks

Can someone who got accepted last cycle please inbox!!!

I would greatly appreciate advice from current M1/MBS students regarding my situation…

I’ve recently been invited to interview for the MBS program at NSU. I’ve also been accepted to another DO program as a first year med student, located out of the state of Florida (I’m a FL resident). The school where I have been accepted only has one hospital clinical site in FL. Their other clinical sites are located within the State of the school. I would like to know if this jeopardizes my chances of receiving a residency spot in FL due to the lack of exposure and auditioning time during my clinical years.

From my understanding a FL residency spot certainly isn’t an issue for NSU-COM graduates given they’ve earned it. Because of this, I am seriously contemplating whether or not I should become an MBS student and suck up the extra year in lieu of becoming an M1 at the out-of-state school.

So, at the end of the day my questions are:
1. Is my thought process with respect to residency correct and am I thinking this over rationally?
2. Would I have just as good of a shot in securing a FL residency spot regardless of school?
3. Has anyone, or know of anyone, that has given up an acceptance as a first year to go through NSUs MBS program because of this reason?