Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my acceptance!!

Anyone have tips for those moving from out of state? I'll need to find a good guide and such.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Also. is the fb group a thing? Would not mind talking to future classmates here/there :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Crazy! Interviewed 3 weeks ago.

For those who want to know, LM ~65. Bad MCAT; good GPA. Great EC's and LOR's.

Reactions: 5 users
Also. is the fb group a thing? Would not mind talking to future classmates here/there :)

Apparently there's a group but no one has been added to it...

The official class facebook groups are started by SGA. I looked at the c/o 2021 and the one person in it is an SGA member, so it'll probably get up and running later in the year, maybe a little closer to when school starts.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when we will get access to our Nova email/academic calendar? Just trying to plan moving and such. Super excited!

Yup, ask away
Thanks NekoBeats! For some reason I didn't realize you stayed there (now or in the past).

-How early are you able to move in before the first semester starts?
-Can you stay year round, or are you forced to leave for like Christmas break and move out during the summer between M1 and M2 (with your things)?
-How often/what times of the day does the shuttle run to campus?
-Did you bring a queen bed, or did you just adjust to life in a twin XL?
-Any other thoughts; were you happy with your decision to live there?

Just curious, are there still more of you who were interviewed in the past three weeks but have not received any updates? I am one of those and I'm really hoping that they will send out another batch of acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks NekoBeats! For some reason I didn't realize you stayed there (now or in the past).

Yeah I used to live there my first year since I traveled cross-country to go to Nova. I lived in the shared and single rooms, so I can give insight to both.

-How early are you able to move in before the first semester starts?

I remember it was literally the weekend before school started. It was really cutting it close, but I know some people called ahead of time and asked if they could move in a week or so earlier and they were actually allowed to w/o additional cost. I wish I had known that.

The downside with moving into a place so close to school starting is that you'll miss out on some of the events and get-togethers that your classmates organize in order to meet and get to know people. Most people that didn't move into RH moved into their apts sometime in early-mid July. I think we all felt a little left out in the beginning since we moved in so late, but there were SO many other times to socialize. We had events set up the weekend before school starting and all throughout orientation week as well. It was all super fun.

-Can you stay year round, or are you forced to leave for like Christmas break and move out during the summer between M1 and M2 (with your things)?

You can stay year round and leave your stuff during the breaks as long as it's within your contract. I moved during the summer of M1 and M2 because my contract was up and I didn't want to renew it.

-How often/what times of the day does the shuttle run to campus?

In the morning the shuttle stops by RH pretty frequently, every 5 minutes or so. They only run M-F with the exception of the shuttle that also goes to the mall, which also operates on the weekends. Sometimes the shuttle people just sit and wait down the street, and it would annoy the crap out of us since we were trying to get to school and could monitor them from the NSU app/screen in the lobby. In retrospect, I also had a car so it wasn't a big deal if I was running late and had to just drive to school instead. However, if you don't have a car you'll really be at the mercy of the shuttles and/or classmates that do have a car, and if it's an exam day you'll want to leave extra early via shuttle just to make sure you get there on time. At Nova they close the doors once the exam time starts, so if you get there even a second late you're SOL.

-Did you bring a queen bed, or did you just adjust to life in a twin XL?

I just used the twin. I can literally sleep on anything if I'm tired enough so it wasn't a big deal for me, personally. I know some people asked for two beds and then they just put them together and made themselves a huge bed. It depends if there are extra beds available though. Some people also just got an extra mattress to make their bed higher, set aside to use for a guest, or they put both mattresses on the ground to make a bigger bed that way. Some rooms just randomly come with an extra bed/mattress. I also want to point out that making the wider beds only works in the single units. There isn't enough room to do that if you live in a shared unit.

-Any other thoughts; were you happy with your decision to live there?

It was convenient. I didn't have to really bring anything except my car. I didn't have to go apartment hunting or ship any furniture (since RH is furnished- microwave not included). I literally just showed up on move-in day with a suitcase. I timed the delivery of my car so it would get there right before school started. I distinctly remember I was at some restaurant/bar meeting my classmates when the car shipper delivered my car to the parking lot. I also used my car to pack it with a bunch of stuff. By the time orientation started the following day, I had my car and everything else I needed.

In the beginning of the year I started out in the shared unit that has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I was the only medical student. My roommates were law and counseling students. I got along with the senior law student, as she was just way chill and took her studies seriously, but I didn't get along with the other two. I would be up late trying to study and they'd be blasting music at full volume. One of them also always had a friend over who constantly used the bathroom so I couldn't shower when I wanted to, which is ridiculous because I'm the one who's paying money to live there. I actually talked to them about it but they didn't change anything. Eventually I kind of just hated coming home to deal with my roommates. Honestly, I just got really unlucky with them and my situation was not the norm. A tip I have is that with RH you can fill out a form of roommate preferences. You just fill out the form with the name of the person you want to live with and that person fills it out to with your name. Originally I filled it out with my friend but she got off the waitlist at a school she liked more so I had to settle with random roommates. If think if you find other DO students to room with, going with the shared unit would work out fine. Oh yeah, and they don't allow co-ed roommates.

I tolerated a couple months of the shared unit and then talked to the guy in charge who immediately set me up in my own unit. It was way better. The individual unit is basically just one huge room, but a lot of us used the two wardrobes that come with the unit to section off a corner of the room and put the bed there to make it like a little bedroom/closet area.

You can also apply to become an RA after your first year if you want. You get your own (huge) room, and if I remember correctly you don't have to pay for rent (or at least part of it, don't remember that well). You just have to organize activities and stuff for your floor. We happened to have an M2 who was the RA for my floor and he helped organize reviews for us and stuff. I don't think it's something that's super competitive, so that's also something that some people do to save money/have your own room.

The best part of RH by far was the pool. Sometimes I still think about it. There are also some conference/study rooms around the pool area and in the buildings that only residents have access to. I used those a lot when I didn't want to drive to the library. Laundry is shared, but I never really had an issue with finding an open laundry machine. I would go during the weekdays though when I had some down time/decided not to go to class.

If you don't have a car to bring, you can also easily bike to school. It's super close. You can even bike to some of the nearby stores like Target and Walmart if you wanted to. The only downside of biking is obviously the weather.

Anyways, that's my two cents on RH

tl;dr- I know a lot about rolling hills.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I used to live there my first year since I traveled cross-country to go to Nova. I lived in the shared and single rooms, so I can give insight to both.

I remember it was literally the weekend before school started. It was really cutting it close, but I know some people called ahead of time and asked if they could move in a week or so earlier and they were actually allowed to w/o additional cost. I wish I had known that.

The downside with moving into a place so close to school starting is that you'll miss out on some of the events and get-togethers that your classmates organize in order to meet and get to know people. Most people that didn't move into RH moved into their apts sometime in early-mid July. I think we all felt a little left out in the beginning since we moved in so late, but there were SO many other times to socialize. We had events set up the weekend before school starting and all throughout orientation week as well. It was all super fun.

You can stay year round and leave your stuff during the breaks as long as it's within your contract. I moved during the summer of M1 and M2 because my contract was up and I didn't want to renew it.

In the morning the shuttle stops by RH pretty frequently, every 5 minutes or so. They only run M-F with the exception of the shuttle that also goes to the mall, which also operates on the weekends. Sometimes the shuttle people just sit and wait down the street, and it would annoy the crap out of us since we were trying to get to school and could monitor them from the NSU app/screen in the lobby. In retrospect, I also had a car so it wasn't a big deal if I was running late and had to just drive to school instead. However, if you don't have a car you'll really be at the mercy of the shuttles and/or classmates that do have a car, and if it's an exam day you'll want to leave extra early via shuttle just to make sure you get there on time. At Nova they close the doors once the exam time starts, so if you get there even a second late you're SOL.

I just used the twin. I can literally sleep on anything if I'm tired enough so it wasn't a big deal for me, personally. I know some people asked for two beds and then they just put them together and made themselves a huge bed. It depends if there are extra beds available though. Some people also just got an extra mattress to make their bed higher, set aside to use for a guest, or they put both mattresses on the ground to make a bigger bed that way. Some rooms just randomly come with an extra bed/mattress. I also want to point out that making the wider beds only works in the single units. There isn't enough room to do that if you live in a shared unit.

It was convenient. I didn't have to really bring anything except my car. I didn't have to go apartment hunting or ship any furniture (since RH is furnished- microwave not included). I literally just showed up on move-in day with a suitcase. I timed the delivery of my car so it would get there right before school started. I distinctly remember I was at some restaurant/bar meeting my classmates when the car shipper delivered my car to the parking lot. I also used my car to pack it with a bunch of stuff. By the time orientation started the following day, I had my car and everything else I needed.

In the beginning of the year I started out in the shared unit that has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I was the only medical student. My roommates were law and counseling students. I got along with the senior law student, as she was just way chill and took her studies seriously, but I didn't get along with the other two. I would be up late trying to study and they'd be blasting music at full volume. One of them also always had a friend over who constantly used the bathroom so I couldn't shower when I wanted to, which is ridiculous because I'm the one who's paying money to live there. I actually talked to them about it but they didn't change anything. Eventually I kind of just hated coming home to deal with my roommates. Honestly, I just got really unlucky with them and my situation was not the norm. A tip I have is that with RH you can fill out a form of roommate preferences. You just fill out the form with the name of the person you want to live with and that person fills it out to with your name. Originally I filled it out with my friend but she got off the waitlist at a school she liked more so I had to settle with random roommates. If think if you find other DO students to room with, going with the shared unit would work out fine. Oh yeah, and they don't allow co-ed roommates.

I tolerated a couple months of the shared unit and then talked to the guy in charge who immediately set me up in my own unit. It was way better. The individual unit is basically just one huge room, but a lot of us used the two wardrobes that come with the unit to section off a corner of the room and put the bed there to make it like a little bedroom/closet area.

You can also apply to become an RA after your first year if you want. You get your own (huge) room, and if I remember correctly you don't have to pay for rent (or at least part of it, don't remember that well). You just have to organize activities and stuff for your floor. We happened to have an M2 who was the RA for my floor and he helped organize reviews for us and stuff. I don't think it's something that's super competitive, so that's also something that some people do to save money/have your own room.

The best part of RH by far was the pool. Sometimes I still think about it. There are also some conference/study rooms around the pool area and in the buildings that only residents have access to. I used those a lot when I didn't want to drive to the library. Laundry is shared, but I never really had an issue with finding an open laundry machine. I would go during the weekdays though when I had some down time/decided not to go to class.

If you don't have a car to bring, you can also easily bike to school. It's super close. You can even bike to some of the nearby stores like Target and Walmart if you wanted to. The only downside of biking is obviously the weather.

Anyways, that's my two cents on RH

tl;dr- I know a lot about rolling hills.

Wow thank you so much! That was very helpful! (Btw for some reason I always thought you were a male.....:whistle:)

Wow thank you so much! That was very helpful! (Btw for some reason I always thought you were a male.....:whistle:)

Haha, yeah a lot of people assume I'm a guy. I purposely try to sound androgynous to throw people off.

I've not received any contact from Nova since my complete call in early October. I didn't receive a pre-II wait list notice, is it safe to assume I've been rejected? Just need some closure lol

lol I thinks it's your avi.... I always pictured you as an overweight guy with dark hair and dark eyes. I know, weirdly specific. :smack:

Haha! I'm sure a lot of people have some kind of idea of what I look like and they'd probably be off 99% of the time. In the extremely rare occasion that I actually reveal who I am IRL people are always surprised.

I've not received any contact from Nova since my complete call in early October. I didn't receive a pre-II wait list notice, is it safe to assume I've been rejected? Just need some closure lol

You could contact them to ask the status of your application. Sounds like you're still under consideration though.

Does anyone know when we will get access to our Nova email/academic calendar? Just trying to plan moving and such. Super excited!

The c/o 2020 got their schedules emailed the first week of July. Not sure about when they got their emails though.

Yeah, I contacted them last week and I was still on "decision pending" status. Was complete called mid-oct.

Since there's no FB group, feel free to send me a message with your FB and I'll add. thanks!

You'll pretty much use the email you gave them for communication until they give you your nova email sometime around April-May. As Neko said, the academic calendar was given out sometime early July. Now that ya'll are accepted RELAX. Once it gets closer, the emails from the school never stop with things to do and attend.

@NekoBeats @Bellafiore or any other students... I know we need to buy an iPad. I don't currently own one. Do you think that wifi is enough or should I get wifi + cellular (more expensive plus have to pay for service bleh)? I know it is used for exams and resources, but do you also use them during rotations? To that end is it better to get a Mini (could fit in white coat pocket in clinical settings) or Air (larger display for taking exams or reading texts)?

@NekoBeats @Bellafiore or any other students... I know we need to buy an iPad. I don't currently own one. Do you think that wifi is enough or should I get wifi + cellular (more expensive plus have to pay for service bleh)? I know it is used for exams and resources, but do you also use them during rotations? To that end is it better to get a Mini (could fit in white coat pocket in clinical settings) or Air (larger display for taking exams or reading texts)?

Wifi is enough. You definitely don't need the cellular. You can use the iPad during rotations if you want but it's not necessary by any means. Most people just use their phone to look things up/access labs while rounding, or sit at an actual computer to type notes. The few people that do use an iPad have the mini since it fits into the white coat. However, you should double check with an M1 or M2 to see if the mini/air can even be used with the exam software. I think my class was the last one to take the paper exams but we still had to get iPads for polling and some apps. Now I use it as a really expensive alarm clock.

can anyone comment on the dress code at nova? i heard you can get away with wearing a long sleeve or hoodie as a top with scrub bottoms

Got an interview at Nova. Can anyone comment on what the women wore to the interviews? I have a sleeveless black dress that's knee length. At my previous interviews in the northeast, I wear a long sleeve black shirt underneath it. Is that too dark and too warm for the weather, or is it good because it's considered professional?

Got an interview at Nova. Can anyone comment on what the women wore to the interviews? I have a sleeveless black dress that's knee length. At my previous interviews in the northeast, I wear a long sleeve black shirt underneath it. Is that too dark and too warm for the weather, or is it good because it's considered professional?

All the ladies at my interview day were wearing suits, whether pantsuits or skirt suits, with blouses and heels.

Tried to pay the deposit online, but the link didn't work. Tried to call, but no one has returned my call yet. Any assistance with the online part? Thanks

IMO: You can wear the dress if you have suit jacket to wear over it. Most of us wore black/dark navy/dark gray pant or skirt suits, despite the heat! Wear comfortable heels, because you will be walking a lot!

Tried to pay the deposit online, but the link didn't work. Tried to call, but no one has returned my call yet. Any assistance with the online part? Thanks

I literally hand typed the address from the PDF and it worked, have you tried that?

I literally hand typed the address from the PDF and it worked, have you tried that?
I did and it didn't work. The lady finally called me back and apologized saying that some people got sent the wrong link. All is well now that she sent me the direct link :p

Just get a wifi one. Don't need or use cellular. Get an Air 2 at minimum. I recommend 64GB. When you hit rotations, you'll probably use your phone to look stuff up because you have it on you at all times, more or less. I was going to sell my air 2 and get a mini just for rotations, but now I don't think it's worth doing that unless you have $$$.

can anyone comment on the dress code at nova? i heard you can get away with wearing a long sleeve or hoodie as a top with scrub bottoms
Dress code is ciel scrubs (color may change, but doubt it) OR professional attire with white coat from 8AM-5PM. Most people wear scrubs. There are some people who wear a Nova t-shirt instead of the scrub top with scrub pants. We've been yelled at multiple times and reminded of the dress code so we'll probably ruin that for you guys. Just stick to a scrub top and pants. Some people will prob do the same thing next year and when you guys get yelled at, everyone will know it's because of you so don't be that guy/girl.
Yes, you can wear a hoodie on top or long sleeve. In fact, yes, bring your hoodie(s) because inside the building gets super cold (maybe 60F or so). But for exams, it has to be a sweater with no pockets and no hood (so a crewneck).

I'm looking at renting houses, but I'm not sure how far I should be looking away. I will probably not be attending the non-mandatory classes, so just the labs and such. Can anyone give insight into how far it would be okay to live to just attend the mandatory stuff? The houses near the school rent for so much and are tiny and..not so great. Haha :)

Does anyone know if the bus tour during the interview is actually optional, and if so about what time does the question and answer session with the dean finish? Trying to book a flight for 4:06pm, but I'm not sure if that will be nearly enough time. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated from previous interviewees!

Does anyone know if the bus tour during the interview is actually optional, and if so about what time does the question and answer session with the dean finish? Trying to book a flight for 4:06pm, but I'm not sure if that will be nearly enough time. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated from previous interviewees!

They asked us what time everyone's flight was and I recall one person was not on the bus tour so I'm sure they will understand if you leave early

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can anyone comment on what the first day might be? Orientation? White coat ceremony? Want to make sure I've moved in time for everything, but I can't find any calendar dates or anything. Thanks!

Interviewing on Thursday. Anything I should be on the lookout for? Also does Nova do PBL? I'm researching their website right now and can't seem to find anything.

Interviewing on Thursday. Anything I should be on the lookout for? Also does Nova do PBL? I'm researching their website right now and can't seem to find anything.

Nah it was chill. Probably one of the most relaxed interviews I've been on. Student tour guides really prepped us for interview and calmed everyone down. Some got good cop/ bad cop but I got 2 good cops. On PBL - I live by LECOM B so the interviewer asked me why I'm not going there. So I talked about not wanting to commit to 24/7 PBL. They said they are planning to implement a small amount of team based learning into curriculum in years to come.

Also, does anyone know if they are typically true to the decision dates? Said mid Feb for our group and have a deposit due soon at another school. Would hate to put it down and end up getting in to Nova.

Biggest advice from my interview day is to remember that the ENTIRE day is the interview. Ask questions (to everyone), be cordial (to everyone), and show that you're truly interested in going to Nova. They really want students that want to be there. Write down a bunch of questions on a sheet of paper and bring it out during the interview during the appropriate time. That shows that you took the time to research the school, that you're interested in knowing more about the school, and that you care. Make sure you have a solid answer about why you want to attend. The stress level really isn't that bad compared to others, so just relax and enjoy the day. They do a great job representing and selling the school.

For people who have interviewed here, is it cheaper to uber to the hotel and then the school or just to rent out a car for two days? What hotel did you guys select? I have an interview this Thursday. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, be careful of the good cop/bad cop. Everyone told me that it would be a stress free interview.. it was not lol. Also, be prepared to answer those really off the wall questions mentioned in the interview feedback. I got a ton of those. Like the other person said, it is a full day interview.. you're being watched the whole time. And ask questions at the end! Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Nah it was chill. Probably one of the most relaxed interviews I've been on. Student tour guides really prepped us for interview and calmed everyone down. Some got good cop/ bad cop but I got 2 good cops. On PBL - I live by LECOM B so the interviewer asked me why I'm not going there. So I talked about not wanting to commit to 24/7 PBL. They said they are planning to implement a small amount of team based learning into curriculum in years to come.

Also, does anyone know if they are typically true to the decision dates? Said mid Feb for our group and have a deposit due soon at another school. Would hate to put it down and end up getting in to Nova.

When did you interview? My group was mid January and we found out a little before 2 weeks for acceptances.