Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Interviewed nov 15!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Any word on that fee refund? Just checked my bank statements and still haven't gotten the refund back. Lol
I've been waiting for half a year for that refund. hardest $50 refund ever.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
has any accepted student received the immunization forms and such?

Reactions: 1 user
Any current students around that can comment on where to live? I have my interview on Tuesday, and will be arriving tomorrow. I want to look at potential apartments while I'm in town, but everything seems so expensive! Anyone have suggestions or ideas?

What is the interview day schedule like? Early interview? Around what time should I expect it to end?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
There is an optional campus wide tour that they do at the end where they show u the graduate dorms and the gym etc once the tour is over everybody goes off on their way so u can opt out if that ... I didn't because I was interested in the grad dorms and I ended around 3-3:30

Any current students around that can comment on where to live? I have my interview on Tuesday, and will be arriving tomorrow. I want to look at potential apartments while I'm in town, but everything seems so expensive! Anyone have suggestions or ideas?
If you are planning to live on your own expect to pay $1200 to $1500 a month for rent ... if u have roommates u might pay $600-900 depending on complex and how many roommates u want to have ... some communities are Centro Sundance Royal grand Amili (I prob misspelled that) just any apartment complexes nearby plus there is also private places that you might need to have a realtor for

Can anyone say how accurate the interview feedback is from sdn? Since there aren't too many from the past year, I'm wondering what kind of questions to prepare for. Is it still a one on one? Or MMI?

Also, if I were wanting to look for a house in the area/nearby, any recommendations where I would look?

Thanks!

Can anyone say how accurate the interview feedback is from sdn? Since there aren't too many from the past year, I'm wondering what kind of questions to prepare for. Is it still a one on one? Or MMI?

Also, if I were wanting to look for a house in the area/nearby, any recommendations where I would look?

Thanks!
The interview is a two on one usually one interviewer likes to play good cop the other likes to play bad cop for example I had been out of school for a few years and I was asked how do you plan to catch up to your peers that have been staying in school and have been in "school mode" this whole time ... maybe the questions wasn't worded exactly that way but you know what I mean ... honestly it's very short I think mine lasted like 10-15 min I was asked about 5-6 questions and that was that ... I got accepted 2 weeks later
Some communities are Centro Sundance Royal grand Amili (I prob misspelled that) just any apartment complexes nearby plus there is also private places that you might need to have a realtor for

The interview is a two on one usually one interviewer likes to play good cop the other likes to play bad cop for example I had been out of school for a few years and I was asked how do you plan to catch up to your peers that have been staying in school and have been in "school mode" this whole time ... maybe the questions wasn't worded exactly that way but you know what I mean ... honestly it's very short I think mine lasted like 10-15 min I was asked about 5-6 questions and that was that ... I got accepted 2 weeks later
Some communities are Centro Sundance Royal grand Amili (I prob misspelled that) just any apartment complexes nearby plus there is also private places that you might need to have a realtor for
Thank you for the input! Anything I should know about the school specifically? I feel like the website does not tell you much.

What are some of the popular apartments that students live in?

• Sundance
  • Signature
  • Rolling Hills (technically on-campus)
  • Centro (formerly Sunforest)
Students can also live in Plantation, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, or even near the beach.

- under the FAQ of my blog

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't see the "good cop bad cop" comment until now, but after my interview today, that's EXACTLY what I said.

Thanks!
for me I had a both positive/neutral cop situation during my interview. Just be able to sell yourself and why you would attend nova. My transcript was brought up so they did have access to all that information so be ready to explain any discrepencies, it was a 2v1 interview for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't see the "good cop bad cop" comment until now, but after my interview today, that's EXACTLY what I said.

You move quickly! Now I wonder who you are (I was there today too, guess who? Haha). I wonder if we had the same interviewers...

has any accepted student received the immunization forms and such?
Thank you for the input! Anything I should know about the school specifically? I feel like the website does not tell you much.
not really ... do u have questions about the school? You don't really need to mention or point anything out during the interview that's gonna make it or break it ... usually they have a serious of 4-5 questions that they came up with from you application so review it and remember what you wrote about

does anyone know where I can find the school schedule that tells us about when orientation and the first day of school etc. are?

Current OMS-1 here.
Let me know if you have questions or anything; I'll try my best to help.
I'm also Asian and I state this because when I was applying, I wanted to know what the Asian community was like at the school and in the area since that was an important factor for me. So if you're interested in learning more or have any questions/comments, feel free to PM me or reach out!

PS. Saw the Jan 10th interviewees and you guys looked great. You visited during our OPP lecture. Also, I would say to smile and look happier like you really want to be there though..

does anyone know where I can find the school schedule that tells us about when orientation and the first day of school etc. are?
Orientation/first day of school for us was Aug 1 or the 1st Monday in August. I don't think that'll change.
Semesters are as follows:
Fall (30 credits): Aug 1 to Dec 12.
Winter/Spring (24 credits): Jan 3-May 5 - spring break is 4/10-4/14.
Summer (8? credits): Sometime end of June (My guess is last Monday of June) to end of July (however, we could also start July 5th but last year's class started before July 4th) with the following Fall semester probably starting Aug 1/first Monday in Aug. Hence, either we have no break and go straight into the next M2 Fall semester or have a couple of days off before M2 fall starts. Again, not sure since we haven't heard anything about summer semester yet.

Reactions: 4 users

wow your interview sounds just like mine! I wonder if we had the same people

Anybody else interviewing next week?

Also, what should I bring to the interview? A folder? Resume? Pen/Paper?

Thanks!

Anybody else interviewing next week?

Also, what should I bring to the interview? A folder? Resume? Pen/Paper?

Thanks!
Yourself, professional attire, a pen (but I think they give you one anyway), positive attitude and a smile.
Don't need a resume or a resume folder.

For us the M1 class we started the very first Monday of August which fell on August 1 I believe and then we finished December 12th we have 3 days off for Thxs giving and 1 day off for Labor Day I think that's it so expect something like that

wow your interview sounds just like mine! I wonder if we had the same people
I had a teacher and somebody from admissions ... I'm pretty sure everybody got almost the same feel that day tho that was the general condense in lunch

How many people interview the same day as you?

Do you wait in a line to be interviewed?

How many people interview the same day as you?

Do you wait in a line to be interviewed?

there were about 12 ppl in my AM group, thats split into 2 groups each, one group interviews first while one takes a tour, and then the other group interviews after that. Each person has a different interviewer so there is no waiting in line in the traditional sense

there were about 12 ppl in my AM group, thats split into 2 groups each, one group interviews first while one takes a tour, and then the other group interviews after that. Each person has a different interviewer so there is no waiting in line in the traditional sense
Thank you for the information!

Should I assume that I will be there from 8-330? I'm curious around what time I'll actually be interviewing.

Thank you for the help!

Can any current students tell me more about the 3 month clinical rotation in a rural setting? Do we have to move for this or is it somewhat close to the campus

Can any current students comment on the rotation sites for Nova? Are there enough rotations spots for all students?

I've been hearing that since Nova is so close to the Carribean, Carib schools are outright buying hospital rotation spots.

How long did it take for you guys to get a II after secondaries were submitted? I am still waiting...

Can any current students comment on the rotation sites for Nova? Are there enough rotations spots for all students?

I've been hearing that since Nova is so close to the Carribean, Carib schools are outright buying hospital rotation spots.
Source?

ughh I'm getting so nervous! It's weird, I didn't feel this anxious after my other interviews. I kind of just went on with life peacefully and then heard back. I must really want to go here!!! I hope we hear back this week, and with an acceptance of course! (1/10 interview) :barf:

edit: spelling

Can any current students tell me more about the 3 month clinical rotation in a rural setting? Do we have to move for this or is it somewhat close to the campus

It's luck. Some people get places in Broward/Dade county. Other people have places far up north, like Orlando. For the far places the school provides housing. So yeah, you have to move, but not in the sense that you have to hire a moving company.

That's a serious claim. I highly doubt it's accurate. Nova definitely wouldn't just give up spots without a fight, and our hospitals wouldn't suddenly just hand them over when they're under contract with us.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all!

Does anyone know if NSU accepts update letters? I've been complete since August and have yet to hear back anything past the pre-II hold. :(

Hi all!

Does anyone know if NSU accepts update letters? I've been complete since August and have yet to hear back anything past the pre-II hold. :(
Post-II they've got a contact but idk if they are receptive to an update pre-II

Hi all!

Does anyone know if NSU accepts update letters? I've been complete since August and have yet to hear back anything past the pre-II hold. :([/QUOTE

If your taking classes (masters level for instance) I don't see why it would hurt to let them know your grades if you have any

I interviewed early January and they told us some stuff that might be helpful to people here. They told us that we should know ~ 2 weeks, at earliest, February at the latest. They told us out of around~500 applicants that they are interviewing, they will be accepting ~160 (the rest of the seats are promised to dual admit programs, etc). They also said that it is not unusual for the school to be interviewing into March. They also let us know that last cycle ~60 students were admitted from the waitlist. Not all good information, but sometimes some information is better than none. Good luck everyone ! :)

I interviewed early January and they told us some stuff that might be helpful to people here. They told us that we should know ~ 2 weeks, at earliest, February at the latest. They told us out of around~500 applicants that they are interviewing, they will be accepting ~160 (the rest of the seats are promised to dual admit programs, etc). They also said that it is not unusual for the school to be interviewing into March. They also let us know that last cycle ~60 students were admitted from the waitlist. Not all good information, but sometimes some information is better than none. Good luck everyone ! :)
There isn't that many dual admits. Also, a few usually don't meet requirements in 4th year and take a gap.

Should we just start a new one? Lol
You can but I think our class will start one for you.
People will be accepted while the 1st week is starting.