Nova Southeastern University Vs. Midwestern University-Downer's Grove

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmakhija

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I am currently trying to decide which medical school to attend next year and have been accepted to and researched a fair amount on both Nova Southeastern and Midwestern-Downer's Grove

So far it seem like both schools have a solid reputation (which I've heard doesn't play a major role in residency anyway) and both seem to have the teaching style and resources that educate students well. In addition for both I have heard that the rotation sites are setup well for students and the school doesn't make the students to the work to set them up on their own for the most part (correct me if I'm wrong, this is how I interpreted it from the information that I read).

Since I have lived in Wisconsin all my life, the location of Downer's Grove would be nice (only two hours away from friends and family). But like most of you, I would love the opportunity to be in a warm place with beaches. Since tuitions are similar, I just had a few last questions and would really appreciate it if anyone could give me their input.

I realize that there is almost no time for social activities and school must be taken very seriously in medical school. Despite this I am a social person and was wondering which school would be more friendly and easier to fit into socially? I do a like to go out with friends and usually like to hang out with people in my free time. Also, if you know, do most people at NOVA do rotations and live in Miami for their last two years then?

I appreciate your help and any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Wherever you go, you'll have time to socialize. Students help each other out at Nova, and I like how well my class bonds together. CCOM students probably do the same. As you probably already know, Nova splits the class into 10 societies to make the class feel slightly smaller. You'll get to know these people well, in addition to people from other societies.

Med school has been a great experience for me thus far. You'll get into your own groove and figure out what works best for you. Yes, you'll most likely be working harder than you ever have in your life, but you need to make time for yourself and spend time with others. You can do it, just be efficient.

Some things to think about:

How important is it to you to have family in close proximity?

Try to remember your first impressions and your overall experience during your interview. How did you feel? Many times people come out of an interview knowing that's the school for them. Did one school make you feel like this more than the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be biased but I would go with CCOM! The ability to rotate in Chicago with a lot of good residencies located there (many run by CCOM) is what persuaded me to choose CCOM over DMU. I didn't apply to Nova so I can't compare them to CCOM. But like the post above me stated, choose where you felt most comfortable on your interview day.

Last edited:
I chose nsu over ccom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Hi, so I am currently trying to decide which medical school to attend next year and have been accepted to and researched a fair amount on both Nova Southeastern and Midwestern-Downer's Grove

So far it seem like both schools have a solid reputation (which I've heard doesn't play a major role in residency anyway) and both seem to have the teaching style and resources that educate students well. In addition for both I have heard that the rotation sites are setup well for students and the school doesn't make the students to the work to set them up on their own for the most part (correct me if I'm wrong, this is how I interpreted it from the information that I read).

Since I have lived in Wisconsin all my life, the location of Downer's Grove would be nice (only two hours away from friends and family). But like most of you, I would love the opportunity to be in a warm place with beaches. Since tuitions are similar, I just had a few last questions and would really appreciate it if anyone could give me their input.

I realize that there is almost no time for social activities and school must be taken very seriously in medical school. Despite this I am a social person and was wondering which school would be more friendly and easier to fit into socially? I do a like to go out with friends and usually like to hang out with people in my free time. Also, if you know, do most people at NOVA do rotations and live in Miami for their last two years then?

I appreciate your help and any input is appreciated!

I lived in a place with warm climate and beaches (better than FLs too) for 18 years. It's cool at first, but it isn't awesome forever. Don't go somewhere just because there's a beach.

I lived in a place with warm climate and beaches (better than FLs too) for 18 years. It's cool at first, but it isn't awesome forever. Don't go somewhere just because there's a beach.

Well, I can't argue that. Where you lived is one of the most awesome and relaxing places I've visited.

What state or country did you use to live?

Thanks a lot for all of your opinions and help. Definitely some good advice and information to keep in mind. Hopefully I can make this decision soon but looking at your answers is sure to help me decide!

As I have done more research I now know that CCOM has a test schedule with tests MWF or TTh which I think would be a good schedule since the tests would cover smaller portions of information even if they are more frequent. Does anyone know if NOVA has a similar testing schedule or how they setup there tests and quizzes during the first two years?

easy... NSU easily

IMHO, the test schedule is irrelevant. They are both solid schools. To be there were the two best DO school. Go with where you want to be for the next for years. At NSU you can get enough loan to live like a queen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Yeah I would rather be in florida and ft lauderdale seems awesome. However I am the type of student that crams a lot before tests and I am better at absorbing a lot of information quickly instead of reading everyday and remembering it all at the end of a month for example. I realize I might need to adjust to a more efficient learning strategy for medical school, but I thought my current learning style might be more successful with a frequent testing schedule. Also if any of you know (since it sounds like you go there zoner?) does NSU have a similar testing schedule or are the tests more spread out with more information?

Thanks again for your help!

Yeah I would rather be in florida and ft lauderdale seems awesome. However I am the type of student that crams a lot before tests and I am better at absorbing a lot of information quickly instead of reading everyday and remembering it all at the end of a month for example. I realize I might need to adjust to a more efficient learning strategy for medical school, but I thought my current learning style might be more successful with a frequent testing schedule. Also if any of you know (since it sounds like you go there zoner?) does NSU have a similar testing schedule or are the tests more spread out with more information?

Thanks again for your help!

Each class spreads out the exams, so it is a lot of material; more so for certain classes than others. In addition, you have 4 core sciences first semester so at times you will have to study for multiple exams per week. It prepares you well for finals, which is "exam day-study day-exam day-study day-exam day" type of style. Needless to say, you will most likely need to change your study habit. You want to try and retain as much information that is thrown at you as possible, all while do everything you can not to sink. It is easy to get overwhelmed in medical school if you don't make every effort to keep up.