NYITCOM Class of 2023- Old Westbury

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msantac2

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was accepted on 12/14/2018 :soexcited:and have been looking for an accepted student forum and couldn't find one so I decided to make one. I look forward to hearing from you guys and meeting some of my classmates :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I was accepted on 12/14/2018 :soexcited:and have been looking for an accepted student forum and couldn't find one so I decided to make one. I look forward to hearing from you guys and meeting some of my classmates :)!
Look in the DO students subforum.

Hello everyone! I was accepted in December as well. Looking forward to meeting to some of you.

Have you guys started looking into housing already. I remember reading in one of the emails that they’ll send us some info on housing

Has anyone recieved any information on paying tuition yet? I still don’t see a tuition bill yet. First half of tuition seems to be due on the 16th of April. Would like to get that taken care of quick

Has anyone recieved any information on paying tuition yet? I still don’t see a tuition bill yet. First half of tuition seems to be due on the 16th of April. Would like to get that taken care of quick
The only thing I have been sent so far is the " TITLE VII SUPPLEMENTAL DATA REQUEST FORM" to fill out.

The last communication I had with them was the certiphi background check...kinda worried. Anyone else been accepted and not received the title VII thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what kind of stuff we need to have prior to the start of classes? i.e. scrubs, stethoscopes, and so on?

does anyone know what kind of stuff we need to have prior to the start of classes? i.e. scrubs, stethoscopes, and so on?
I know the school will provide the scrubs. The admitted students website stated that they'll contact us sometime in the summer about ordering them. I'm not sure about other supplies, but the website said the school will provide us a list.

I know the school will provide the scrubs. The admitted students website stated that they'll contact us sometime in the summer about ordering them. I'm not sure about other supplies, but the website said the school will provide us a list.
Quick advice on all the supplies the school says you should acquire: get your own stethoscope, everything else (otolaryngoscope, blood pressure cuff, etc) you'll just borrow off of your friends who actually bought all the equipment (that they'll probably never use after the singular lab you use it). You're provided with the equipment in ICC so there's no point in having all this shiny fancy stuff. Will save you ~$600 that you can put towards more important things

Quick advice on all the supplies the school says you should acquire: get your own stethoscope, everything else (otolaryngoscope, blood pressure cuff, etc) you'll just borrow off of your friends who actually bought all the equipment (that they'll probably never use after the singular lab you use it). You're provided with the equipment in ICC so there's no point in having all this shiny fancy stuff. Will save you ~$600 that you can put towards more important things
what kind of stethoscope would you recommend?

@kazill have you used the campus shuttle bus to the Manhasset LIRR stop before? I am looking at living close to the city with my partner and was wondering how feasible it is. Thanks!
I have not, so can’t really comment I’m afraid.

@kazill what's the schedule like for a typical week for those doing the lecture pathway (number of hours/day and days/week will be spent in lecture, OMM lab, anatomy, etc.) I want to get an idea of how much time I'll have for activities outside of med school. Thanks!

@kazill what's the schedule like for a typical week for those doing the lecture pathway (number of hours/day and days/week will be spent in lecture, OMM lab, anatomy, etc.) I want to get an idea of how much time I'll have for activities outside of med school. Thanks!
1st semester (Note: variability in when you have labs is based on which of 4 groups you're placed in)
Lectures Mon-Thurs 9am-12pm (non-mandatory and recorded so you can watch them later if you're so inclined)
Anatomy Lab: Either Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday from 1pm-5pm (you don't have to stay the whole time, just until you're done the dissection)
DPR (i.e. clinical skill training): Monday or Tuesday from 1pm-3pm or 3pm-5pm
OMM: Wednesday or Thursday from 1pm-3pm or 3pm-5pm
Labs are mandatory
Sometimes you'll have mandatory sessions on Fridays called CPR, typically the school brings someone in to give a talk or presentation on some sort of salient topic (diversity in medicine, burnout, patient experiences), usually run from 10am-12pm.

2nd semester you drop anatomy lab for neuroanatomy which lasts 3 weeks, you meet twice a week for 2 hours in the afternoon. Once neuroanatomy is done you'll have case-based learning, lasts 2 hours, you'll have it immediately after or before OMM lab.

So in summary, once 1st semester is over you're only required to be on campus for labs twice a week, 2 hours one day and 4 the other. Leaves a lot of unstructured time to do outside activities and study.

Reactions: 1 users
1st semester (Note: variability in when you have labs is based on which of 4 groups you're placed in)
Lectures Mon-Thurs 9am-12pm (non-mandatory and recorded so you can watch them later if you're so inclined)
Anatomy Lab: Either Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday from 1pm-5pm (you don't have to stay the whole time, just until you're done the dissection)
DPR (i.e. clinical skill training): Monday or Tuesday from 1pm-3pm or 3pm-5pm
OMM: Wednesday or Thursday from 1pm-3pm or 3pm-5pm
Labs are mandatory
Sometimes you'll have mandatory sessions on Fridays called CPR, typically the school brings someone in to give a talk or presentation on some sort of salient topic (diversity in medicine, burnout, patient experiences), usually run from 10am-12pm.

2nd semester you drop anatomy lab for neuroanatomy which lasts 3 weeks, you meet twice a week for 2 hours in the afternoon. Once neuroanatomy is done you'll have case-based learning, lasts 2 hours, you'll have it immediately after or before OMM lab.

So in summary, once 1st semester is over you're only required to be on campus for labs twice a week, 2 hours one day and 4 the other. Leaves a lot of unstructured time to do outside activities and study.
Thanks!

Anyone on an MD waitlist what are you guys planning to do about the tuition deposit due on April 16th? Considering traffic day is April 30th are we just going to have to lose out on 60k if we get off a waitlist or what?

Anyone on an MD waitlist what are you guys planning to do about the tuition deposit due on April 16th? Considering traffic day is April 30th are we just going to have to lose out on 60k if we get off a waitlist or what?
You get a full refund if you withdraw from the school before classes start. Another alternative is to sign up for their payment plan that way you don't need to pay the full 30k by April 16th.

Does anyone know who we can contact for questions about the tuition payment?

If labs are later in the day and lectures are recorded and non mandatory, are there any cons of living in brooklyn and commuting to school? I'd like to also conduct clinical research in/near nyc so I would think living near nyc would be beneficial.

Hello,
Is anyone else in the Class of 2023 doing Army HPSP?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m planning on doing something similar except from Manhattan. Only cons are just commuting and probably cost of rent. Can any current students comment?

Edit: Commuting
Also commuting from here like I did for interview day!