NYMC vs. Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conserlib

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to be accepted by both of these schools, but I'm having a hard time making up my mind. Here are the pros and cons of each school:
NYMC (pros):
Better quality of students
Solid match and USMLE scores
Close to NYC (but I don't really care about location)

NYMC (cons)
expensive as hell
school is facing financial difficulty
cold administration
unhappy students
being merged with Touro
8 students per cadaver
students extremely competitive

Howard (pros)
less expensive
supporting student body
friendly administration
school's been around for a long time
I want to practice in underserved urban area.

Howard (cons)
quality of students in terms of MCAT and GPA
lower average USMLE scores compared to NYMC
I'm not african american, so i'm not sure if i'll be a great fit.

So guys, help me out. What school would you choose? I'm really having a hard time.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to visit both of these schools. I would pick Howard, hands down -- both because of personal preference (I got a better feeling there) and quality of education. I really liked the support system at Howard. I don't think any other medical school in the country can come close to the amount of support and guidance Howard gives its students. Also, Howard wins for location. NYMC is right near a prison and is too far from NYC to feel like you are in New York but close enough to get the expensive prices. I'm not sure what you mean by "quality" of students but the students I met there seemed to be really dedicated, compassionate people that are excited about medicine. I didn't really get a great vibe from the students at NYMC.

Based on your list, it looks like you already made up your mind... :D And I wouldn't worry about not being AA & not fitting in. The student body seemed really welcoming and I'm sure you'll fit right in.

I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to visit both of these schools. I would pick Howard, hands down -- both because of personal preference (I got a better feeling there) and quality of education. I really liked the support system at Howard. I don't think any other medical school in the country can come close to the amount of support and guidance Howard gives its students. Also, Howard wins for location. NYMC is right near a prison and is too far from NYC to feel like you are in New York but close enough to get the expensive prices. I'm not sure what you mean by "quality" of students but the students I met there seemed to be really dedicated, compassionate people that are excited about medicine. I didn't really get a great vibe from the students at NYMC.

Based on your list, it looks like you already made up your mind... :D And I wouldn't worry about not being AA & not fitting in. The student body seemed really welcoming and I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Hey. Thanks for your response. yeah, I'm leaning towards Howard. When I meant "quality of students", I was only referring to their average MCAT and GPA, not their overall quality to become great doctors, which most like is not related to MCAT and GPA. Do you have any info on Howard's match results?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say my mind is totally made up. This decision is hard. That's why I'm seek advice from everyone. Feel free to share any information, good or bad, that you guys know about these two programs.

Seems like Howard is the place for you!:thumbup:

I've been lucky enough to be accepted by both of these schools, but I'm having a hard time making up my mind. Here are the pros and cons of each school:
NYMC (pros):

NYMC (cons)
expensive as hell
cold administration
unhappy students

being merged with Touro
8 students per cadaver

Howard (pros)
less expensive
supporting student body
friendly administration

Howard (cons)

So guys, help me out. What school would you choose? I'm really having a hard time.

Based on your assessment of the schools, Choose Howard!

But, I'm not entirely confident that my assessment is complete. I might be missing other factors that I 'm not aware of right now.
What worries you about both schools and which one gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling?

I applied to both of these schools but did not interview or visit.

Regarding the caliber of the students entering:
As long as you felt like they were socially a good match for you as peers and you don't feel like you couldn't be friends with them b/c of their lower MCATs etc. then that shouldn't be a problem.

Because of Howard's mission to helping underserved communities, I do believe they accept students with lower entering stats who have come from those communities, but I believe they make sure those students have potential to become good physicians (in spite of entering stats) and that they are coming in with weak stats just b/c they have had less opportunities previously. Once they enter med school, the field is even--nearly everybody gets loans in med school, so whether you are poor or the very poorest, nobody is working during school, etc. (hopefully), and you will see the perceived "gap" close. I believe that is why you see that they don't interview a lot of higher stat applicants who applied to them thinking they were a back-up b/c of the lower admissions scores.

I don't have much to say about NYMC, but I would be concerned about the potential merger with Touro. As I have said on the NYMC forum, I think they have an obligation to be far more forthcoming about this b/c students pick their schools based on so many factors, and when I was picking D.O. schools, I excluded Touro campuses b/c their facilities close from Friday sundown through Saturday in observation of the Jewish sabbath. If this will now happen at NYMC, and if it is a change to current operations, that would be a significant alteration for a night-owl studier like myself...I also wouldn't like being affiliated with Touro b/c of the fact that it has so many campuses, and I don't think that bodes well for reputation. It starts to look like a business. I personally want to be sure my alma mater is on the up-and-up for the years after I finish my education while I might be applying for jobs post-residency. Additionally, all programs go through "growing pains" when they make changes--will there be changes if there is a merger? The fact that this whole Touro thing could be a non-issue but may not be dismissed as such before May 15th is very inappropriate to me.

That said...if the Touro issue is not resolved before May 15th, I definitely would definitely go with Howard. If the Touro issue is dismissed, I guess I would just go where you feel like you'd be happier as a person. I don't feel like there is a huge educational disparity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go wherever you feel most comfortable. That's what matters more than anything.

If you study hard and do well on the boards, you'll have a shot at a good residency coming from either school.

If I had to choose between NYMC & Howard, I'd definitely choose Howard.

Based on your post, however, I think you should attend NYMC and free up that Howard spot for an applicant who is more "Howard material".

Hilarious. I'll be attending a predominately White medical institution in a few months, and I'd never let being "a great fit" from a "being the majority ethnicity" point-of-view affect my decision. That stinks of being accustomed to privilege.

I'm curious. Why did you even apply to Howard?

^^^
Haha it had to be said.

OP, don't worry about not fitting in at Howard. You will be in a culturally rich area at a culturally rich institution. This will have an impact on your education, life experience, perspective and personal growth. I think medical education is pretty standardized, but life education differs from region, state, city and school. I think DC and Howard take the cake in that category. However, both are solid schools and solid choices so any decision you make will be a good one.

Good luck deciding and congrats on gaining admission to med school! Enjoy life while you can :smuggrin:

Last edited:
Hilarious. I'll be attending a predominately White medical institution in a few months, and I'd never let being "a great fit" from a "being the majority ethnicity" point-of-view affect my decision. That stinks of being accustomed to privilege.

I'm curious. Why did you even apply to Howard?

Well, I don't think it's that simple. Howard is a traditionally black institution whose mission is to train minority physicians who will serve the underserved (primarily minorities). That's not unspoken or accidental, it's their well-known, well-publicized mission. A minority who goes to a traditionally white med school isn't going to a school whose primary purpose is to teach white students how to treat white patients. HBCUs are extremely unique in that regard, so I can understand how being of a different background might make one wonder if he is a good "fit". I'm sure even members of other minority groups (not african american) might feel that way, due to Howard's mission.

I think that I would go to the school you feel more comfortable at. It sounds like Howard is the place for you. Both of the schools are unranked so that really does not matter (if it even would normally)...Howard is less expensive, and their mission to train doctors to serve less represented communities seems similar to your own.

Tough decision though.

Congratz on both acceptances kiddo.

I can't really comment on each school's rep... but wanted to point out that:
DC >>>>> Valhalla, NY
Shaw isn't the best neighborhood, but it's really not that dangerous... it's also within walking distance of U St, adams morgan, and dupont circle. You'd have access to a ton of great restaurants, cafes/study hangouts, bars, gyms, concerts, etc etc. without any need for a car. I lived in the Bronx for a summer and getting into Manhattan was a trek... so I can't imagine what it would be like coming from upstate. DC is an all around better place to spend free time after tests or a study-free saturday/sunday.

Howard...I really really disliked NYMC

I wouldnt worry about being the minority at howard. I think it will be a good experience.

Howard is the better financial decision and you said they have a better support system. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

NYMC (pros):

NYMC (cons)
expensive as hell
cold administration
unhappy students
being merged with Touro
8 students per cadaver

Howard (pros)
less expensive
supporting student body
friendly administration

Howard (cons)

I am graduating from NYMC in May and I have to say that it's been an awesome experience for me. That being said, I'm pretty much heartbroken over the idea of a merger with Touro. The process is still in early stages, although it seems that it's "moving ahead." It's certainly not a done deal yet.

As far as the 8 students per cadaver, it's really not an issue. We were split into groups of 4 and occasionally came in as a group of 8 for some labs. Dissection is really energy-intensive and exhausting - I was glad to have less work to do while still being able to SEE everything because the other half of our team did half the work. Anatomy is not really THAT important a medical school course (yes, even if you plan to be a surgeon, it looks SO different when it's a living person). Anatomy is the least-emphasized of all the basic science courses on Step 1.

Honestly, make a decision on where to go based on where you will be HAPPY. It sounds like that will be Howard for you, but I think NYMC is a great place as well.

Thanks for all your insights guys. Yes, NYMC's merger with Touro pretty much broke my heart too! Anyway, I know I have a tough decision ahead of me. But luckily, I still have a month to decide.

I grew up in a predominately white town and have gone to predominately white schools until I went to Howard, so I was also worried about whether I would "fit in." But the fact is the students here are all from different places with different perspectives, different interests, different cultures, etc., so you'll just ended up hanging out with those people who you get along with and have similar interests, regardless of race.

Everyone gets along and we all support each other so you don't have to worry about being ostracized or getting eggs thrown at you or anything. ;)

I don't understand what you guys are saying about NYMC merging with another school? What is going on? Their website doesn't say anything about this.

2009 Howard Match: (# of people to programs)

1 -anat/clin & anat path
1 -pathology
11-anesthesiology
1-dermatology
3-emergency medicine
8- family medicine
3- general surgery
25-internal medicine
1-med-pediatrics
13-med-preliminary
4-neurology
4-obstetrics-gynecology
2-opthamology
1-ortho surg/hosp joint diseases
3-0rthopaedic surgery
1-otolaryngology
6-pediatrics
4-psychiatry
11-surgery-preliminary

I'd say NYMC's match is at least as competitive. They do very well in the match for a school that's not even ranked.

I wouldn't let the Touro stuff factor in too much, at least not negatively. NYMC will keep it's name and now has a lot more funding. Businesses change hands all the time without customers ever knowing it, this is a business move -- no more, no less.

I really liked NYMC when I visited. The facilities were very nice and I actually found the area to be quite charming. Their anatomy lab has got to be one of the best of any med school. One thing many people don't know is about half the 3rd years move to a school-owned luxury apartment building on the Upper East Side in NYC...if you're not crazy about Valhalla.

The only thing that worried me about NYMC was some of the students. Many were friendly and welcoming, but others seemed unsatisfied and were trying to "jokingly" get us to consider other professions. It was questionable, depressed behavior under the guise of playfulness. That said, I'd pick NYMC over Howard in a heartbeat. I know this isn't PC, but I don't care: I find historically black colleges to be a completely backward, reactionary, ignorant idea. They are a relic of the days of slavery and should retire to the past. Race, in general, is not something to be proud of, and I'd find it completely obnoxious to be surrounded by those who wholeheartedly disagree.

I'd say NYMC's match is at least as competitive. They do very well in the match for a school that's not even ranked.

I wouldn't let the Touro stuff factor in too much, at least not negatively. NYMC will keep it's name and now has a lot more funding. Businesses change hands all the time without customers ever knowing it, this is a business move -- no more, no less.

I really liked NYMC when I visited. The facilities were very nice and I actually found the area to be quite charming. Their anatomy lab has got to be one of the best of any med school. One thing many people don't know is about half the 3rd years move to a school-owned luxury apartment building on the Upper East Side in NYC...if you're not crazy about Valhalla.

The only thing that worried me about NYMC was some of the students. Many were friendly and welcoming, but others seemed unsatisfied and were trying to "jokingly" get us to consider other professions. It was questionable, depressed behavior under the guise of playfulness. That said, I'd pick NYMC over Howard in a heartbeat. I know this isn't PC, but I don't care: I find historically black colleges to be a completely backward, reactionary, ignorant idea. They are a relic of the days of slavery and should retire to the past. Race, in general, is not something to be proud of, and I'd find it completely obnoxious to be surrounded by those who wholeheartedly disagree.

Wow, as a current student of NYMC I find that to be completely short sided and naive and really edging on repugnant. Just so you know, NYMC has a long history with Howard and the Tuskegee Institute especially with establishing the first minority scholarship program back in the 1920s.

You will get a fantastic education at either institution and I have heard many good things about Howard. I would base your decision first on cost, then on the other "holistic" factors that may increase your happiness while at the institution for the next four years. At the very last I would put whatever advice you hear from pre-meds on SDN (including my own for that matter) because it is your life we're talking about. ;)

i plan to attend howard primarily because i found the students and faculty to be very supportive and welcoming when i visited. hope to see you in july! :p

p.s. i have more match information if you would like to take a look at it. let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.